Why do people have huge collections of physical games? People with books normally have read the books...

Why do people have huge collections of physical games? People with books normally have read the books, same for music/movies. Its obviously not the same with the big game collections. honest question not baiting

Attached: 2345423542353245.jpg (1280x720, 207K)

Other urls found in this thread:

amazon.co.uk/PlayStation-9838814-inFAMOUS-First-Light/dp/B00KJFDN14
ign.com/articles/2014/07/29/physical-release-date-for-infamous-first-light-revealed
twitter.com/NSFWRedditGif

I'm a pretty casual gamer, 2 hours on my weekdays, 4 on each weekend day. Obviously this isn't hard numbers but broadly speaking this is my game time.

I could see people completing every SNES RPG or whatever with this schedule. And credit feeding through the shmups that allow it. Sure. Especially if they do the whole "12 hour a day gamer" thing.

What gets me though is how many games that have in their collection that are abject shit. You would have to pay me to play the vast majority of the NES library.

People with gigantic book collections likely have not read all of their books. If you had bookshelves lined with the same number of books as the OP image with games, I doubt someone will have been able to read them all if they weren't picture books or the like.

I believe most people have large collections like this so one they they can resell them for financial gain. First off they say this. Second, why else would this dude own so many amiibos and not use them?

>People with books normally have read the books
wrong.

you have to be over 18 to post here

>why do people like owning their games?

No way. I've been collecting since I was 6 years old, and I've never sold a single game in my life, I don't care about the future value of my games at all.
I just love games and anything to do with them, every man has something they collect, it's just in our nature and you women will never understand that

>why else would this dude own so many amiibos and not use them?
I don't have a Nintendo product that even reads amiibo but I get the characters that I like that are Amiibo as they are a nice decorative thing to have that is small and still shows my enjoyment of said franchises.

literally no one reads books from their bookcase

Own games your going to play. Whats the point of buying most NES games 90% are terrible

people who collect stuff are normally trying to make up for lack of personality/social status. buying 'Stuff' is a way of filling the void

>Why do people have huge collections of physical games?
They want them.

I collect for myself. No one else.

A lot of assumptions in this post.

>Why do people have huge collections of physical games?
aside from gaming youtubers i think you're vastly overrating the amount of people who have "huge" physical collections. in my experience most retro gaming "enthusiasts" really tend to only have the 15 games they played as a kid for each console.

Seriously. He says "real question, not baiting" but his mind is 100% made up. There's no point to answering him.

Don't you have desires, user?

thats fair then. I can see its use as backdrop in videos

I just agreed with the post above you. Why can't we have discussions?

Then why did you reply in the first place? That doesn't make sense.

I wish I could travel back in time and beat my younger self to near death before he took his SNES/PS2/Saturn to the game store.

He'd thank me later.

Was working at weird used things store. One woman would occasionally come and buy shopping cart full of books. She had her own private library or something in her house. I think she mentioned that she had easily over 10000 books there.

>Why can't we have discussions?
You're just making shit up to be the devil's advocate.

But you can emulate all that on a computer for free

you sound like your projecting. its okay to have a huge game collection. i'm just interested

but if he hadn't sold those, he could still play them for free. if you don't count electricity. so your point is kinda moot

What exactly am I projecting? I don't have a huge physical collection. Just more assumptions you're making. Don't use the word "projecting" if you're not even going to use it correctly.

>own games you're going to play
Who says I'm not doing that?
I started with N64, I'm not interested at all in the SNES or NES I much prefer he Famicom and Super Famicom. The artwork is better and there's no censorship, I really can't stand the look of SNES boxes, they're just terrible.
Here come the Emuniggers

>People with books normally have read the books, same for music/movies
Absolutely not the case, I know of people who just buy shit that they might read on a whim.

Yeah but I wouldn't, I miss my real games on real hardware.

And if I did want to sell them, I could get hundreds of dollars per game instead of pennies.

>Here come the Emuniggers

I don't know why they are like this. PS2 and Saturn emulation is still fucking shit. They don't know how bad it is because they haven't had experience with the real hardware.

It just makes sense to burn them to a disc (Saturn) or put them on the internal hard drive (fat PS2) and run the games on real hardware. Install the Rhea/Phoebe mod if you are awake at 2am when captain autist announces orders are open.

you sound mad

Attached: 23455235353252354.jpg (1200x800, 226K)

I don't understand this western obsession with everything must be digital, Imagine if back in the 80's and 90's all the games you bought were digital. They would literally be unplayable today, the games I bought 20 years ago still work to this day, I own games that are nearly 40 years old. But games I bought on the Xbox live marketplace I can't play anymore, I can't even buy it I can still buy old games from the store but these games are gone forever.

It does have resell value but some people just enjoy collecting. I personally don't. Rarely do I replay games. Maybe one of the few games I do are older games like Zeus Master of Olympus.

Black and White is somewhat hard to find these days. Even harder to run. I think it's running for upwards of $50 to $100 on amazon and ebay.

That's what they all say and wind up keeping it until they die then their kids or stupid mother sell it for $5 on a garage sale.

More assumptions.

It's zoomer nonesense, I don't know about you but I don't want to play N64 games on a computer with an Xbox 360 controller.
I've got my original hooked up with S video to a CRT, I wouldn't have it any other way

I emulate PS2 games despite having a PS2 sitting in my room with FMCB because it looks like shit on my TV and I'm not willing to drag out and place a CRT for one / extremely occasionally two (original Xbox) consoles.

They only say that to try and justify their collecting to Emuniggers, I don't plan on selling anything I own whatever happens to it after I die happens, but while I'm alive I'm keeping and playing them

>I don't understand this western obsession with everything must be digital
>implying Eastern countries are not minimalists either.

People just like to have a collection. Like people collecting guns, rocks, baseball cards, or stamps. They are there to appreciate. You might even have a nice story about a particular game you got, An experience playing it, or know some nice trivia to it. It's nice to have a collection if you have the space for it. If not, then thats just as good too.

>They are there to appreciate.
Yeah, there to appreciate in a closet or drawer. It's an utter waste of money and time.

How is it connected to your TV? I run my PS2 on my 55 inch 4k set and it looks amazing.

Why isn't your CRT permenantly set up with all your retro consoles?
My Japanese girlfriend likes my game collection, we usually play puzzle games together

nintendo had those satellaview games on super famicom or something. i think they're mostly just gone. sega might have had something similar but i don't remember

There are plenty of people who play their collections.

Why do people have huge collections of stamps? People with letters normally have read the letters and the stamps are of no more use, same for pamphlets/magazines. Its obviously not the same with the big stamp collections. honest question not baiting

Attached: stamps.jpg (852x480, 79K)

Statistically, Japan has less digital purchases per physical purchase.

Thats sad, nigga. Why are you so butthurt about hard copies? It's not like you're using the colest space for anything else. Let a nigga do what he wants with his money and space. As long as he/she is not bothering me or asking me to keep shit at my place, i'm okay.

>But games I bought on the Xbox live marketplace I can't play anymore

I recently converted to physical, but why can't you play them anymore?

The only purchases we lost from Microsoft so far have been dlc packs from the original Xbox (Halo 2 maps and Project Gotham Racing 2 tracks in my instance but I know other DLC existed).

Everything purchased on 360 and up can still be downloaded, even delisted items.

is this sea lioning?

Attached: 3452435435234532.jpg (612x612, 75K)

Rom hacks, controller support, higher resolutions, speed up options, etc.

I only go for the original hardware if I know emulation has issues, like with most PS2 rhythm games. Saturn emulation is still mostly shit so that would be one of those cases.

Why do people have huge collections of Legos? People with toys normally have played with the toys, same for action figures / collectibles. Its obviously not the same with the Legos just sitting around being looked at. honest question not baiting

Attached: legos.jpg (425x435, 41K)

Its moreso a symptom of liking games in the first place.

>My Japanese girlfriend likes my game collection, we usually play puzzle games together
Why is that sentence structure so weird? What does that have to do with anything I said? Why mention a girlfriend? Why did you have to mention she's Japanese? Nothing makes any sense in this.

And there are plenty of people who are smart and get rid of things they no longer use. Having a collection for the sake of it is not the same as things you specifically enjoy.

Statistically Japanese prefer mobile games and is less populated than the majority of other countries in the world so not getting your point here.

>nigga
Oh this is going to be one of those replies...
>Why are you so butthurt about hard copies?
Nothing I said implies I'm butthurt, you're just assuming I am because I am against the ideology of having something I'm never going to interact with again and if I do, it won't be for a while.
>It's not like you're using the colest space for anything else
They are storage for empty boxes for when I move.
>Let a nigga do what he wants with his money and space. As long as he/she is not bothering me or asking me to keep shit at my place, i'm okay.
>Let a nigga do what he wants with his money.
>Isn't ok letting a nigga say what he wants with his time.
Hypocrite

Piercing them to a wall is autistic. Taking them out and displaying them is still sort of austistic, but if they are displayed subtly with careful attention made to keeping a general decorative theme, that's better.

My mistake, what I meant was there are games that were on the marketplace that you can't buy or play anymore.
>ROM hacks
Understandable
>controller support
Uhh... all consoles support controllers
>higher resolutions
Graphics fags ruined gaming
>speed up options
Oh I get it you're an ADD zoomer who can't handle turn based battles
It's because of you the ATB system ruined Final Fantasy

>implying lego comes out the box put together?
yikes

but once you're done building it you don't rip it apart and put it back together again, it just sits there. SITS THERE! HOW DARE YOU LIKE LOOKING AT A THING!

>Japan is less populated
Japan literally has more people than every single western country except America which is the third most populated country on earth

>Why do people have huge collections of Legos?
That's a loaded question that can not be easily explained.
Some do it for the sake of nostalgia.
Some do it for the sake of value as some pieces (specific ones mind you) are worth something.
Some are scalpers.
Some see it as a way of expressing themselves.
Some have loved ones who let their childish mentality not mature.

japan has a lot of game stores though. at least in akihabara. everything from "retro" to new releases. never seen so many fucking super nintendos. one store had like 50 of those on sale.

Why do people have huge collections of girlfriends? People in relationships normally have just the one, same for wives/fiances. Its obviously not the same with the big nigs and their 40 girlfriends. honest question not baiting

Attached: girlfriends.jpg (584x397, 203K)

I want to go to Japan just so I can get a good deal on an SNES in person

Why are you saying this? I never said how I display anything.

Google says otherwise.

Akihabara is overpriced and only for dumb foreigners who don't understand they're being ripped off, Akihabara prices for a loose cart are easily double a CIB price in the countryside.
I stay in a suburban town in Japan with maybe 10,000 people living here, the closest city is 5 train stops away and there's only 300,000 people there. The BookOff here has a better game selection than the biggest game shop in my city of nearly 3,000,000 people.
It's just unbelievable how easy and cheap it is to get retro games in Japan

imagine someone disagreeing with you
imagine someone putting muh orijinul experience on a pedestal

My collection is pretty big, but it’s all stuff I’ve either played or plan on playing. It creates a constant backlog, but there’s this sense of progress when you get through a few that’s really satisfying.

I have no idea why you think this. And this is coming from someone who has to been to akihabara multiple times.

The states 329 million
Japan 126 million
Germany 83 million
Unless you count Russia as European there is no European country with as many people as Japan

I’ve played 99% of the games I own.

Attached: 9FC5105C-7C00-40F2-9E88-6650CD66F891.jpg (1574x2100, 864K)

That wasn't the argument, you said western countries. Don't move the goal post faggot.

because they are empty inside. it's a sad attempt to fill the void.

Ok, but will you ever touch those again though? If so, why? You already beat them, why replay most of them?

You mean like posting on a website?

What the fuck are you retarded or something? America is the largest western country and Germany is second

Again, not what I said. You need to learn to read if you can't keep up.

I prefer physical over digital. Sure it creates clutter, but I feel like I actually own the game over the game owns me.

Games these days need updates and shit, so your physical copies are just mostly broken unfinished products that are useless without the internet.

I've actually decided to begin collection recently. Traditional single player games are starting to become a thing of the past. The big publishers have stated they aren't worth the investment anymore and this whole 'games-as-a-service' approach doesn't appeal to me. So, I've started to build an emergency bunker collection for when that dystopian future arrives. That said, I only specifically collect games I'm interested in playing and not everything I can get within arms reach.

Is there a reason why you shitpost? Don't you losers have anything better to do with your life than come onto this shithole and waste time like this?

That's pretty rare. There's not many singleplayer games that require updates.

What does any of this have to do with you making up shit I never said?

Pretty big projection there, dude.

Oh yeah I remember the time I put in GoldenEye and it didn't work because my N64 wasn't Hooked up to the internet

You may want to fact check that statement, you maybe surprised. There's games that even update things to imrpove the experience. An example that instantly comes to mind is the Spider-Man game on PS4.

What part of "games these days" did your little mind not able to process? Or you just trigger happy with the banter today? Take a nap.

No idea. I checked all the value on my games that I had collected over the years and most of them were worth like 5-10 dollars, and were very abundant on ebay and amazon, when I factored in the cost of shipping, I'd be getting like 2-3 dollars each game, and that's just not worth the effort.
Boxed about 80% of the shit and dropped them off at Goodwill, don't even care if they get destroyed.

How many Playstation 4 games have you ran unpatched?

Halo 2 DLC wasn't lost and I'm pretty sure I have PGR2's DLC installed on my Xbox. There's a site that has Xbox DLC installers to download and I think tge only one that's lost was a Sega GT 2002 DLC because it was given out to limited people.

I never update console games and haven't had any problems. Could be just lucky. I know that shit like thps5 and spyro remaster require update because fuck you the games are not fully on the disc.
I don't know. maybe 20 or so.

>you women will never understand that
Every single person in my family collects something. Videogames, shoes, antiques, something. It's not limited to male or female.

One of my friends dad's owns dozens of fishing rods and hundreds of fishing gear, yet never goes fishing.

>People with books normally have read the books, same for music/movies
More likely, as in the case of vidya collections, people struggle with the "tyranny of choice" and only read or watch a handful of items in their massive collections.

>Saturn
>emulation
Please get raped by a nigger

>I don't know. maybe 20 or so.
Name them, right now.

>i dont read so nobody does!
If you read a couple of books per month it quickly adds up and it's not uncommon to read more than that too.

>One of my friends dad's owns dozens of fishing rods and hundreds of fishing gear, yet never goes fishing.
His dad sounds autistic as fuck, not saying that as a meme way. That is legit autistic behavior.

Big collection, i wish i could play them all, but work and university cramp my time. I am not buying anything that I intend to just let sit on my shelf. I would not sell them either. I know once I sell a game, especially a rare game, I'll never own it again.

But he's dead

I don't know, have you tried thinking for 2 seconds? Maybe because they want to replay their games from time to time.
You know, because the video game industry has been so fucking shit for years?
And also, to have the ability to share them with people through the internet once copies become really fucking rare.

I meant lost to the purchasers. If you purchased the Halo 2 multiplayer map pack you cannot get it back. Ever. Through legitimate channels.

Yeah you can steal a car or whatever so technically "nothing is preventing you from having a Ferrari" but that's not what people mean when they say they wish they could have one.

>oblivion xbox
Nostalgia or something? Why not the big box PC release or GOG version on a USB/burned to some DVDs ect? are you hiding a lewd figure behind that black box?

what a faggot

>buying physical music
What the fuck, people still do this?

You wish.

I've been playing video games my entire life and unlike many kids back in the day, I never fell for the trade in meme.
So my collection just sort of built up.

Eh fuck it.

crash
fifa14
shadow of mordor
mgs5
rachet & clank
infamous second son
infamous last light
uncharted 4
uncharted last legacy
gow
tear away
gravity rush
gravity rush 2
horizon zero dawn
I don't remember and getting bored of listing things. Most of the stuff I pirated, so can't look it up. But I'm 90% sure that those were ripped from the discs without updates.

I guess i meant vinyl for the audio quality

yeah and normies read on the way to work, so over time they get through a lot

npc?

No clue, I got rid of my phsyical collection years ago and I would consider my 8TB+8TB redundant drives to be far more permanent than any physical collection, DRM free too.

This. I've got shit tons of books I never took the time to read because I'm too busy reading other shits for research that by the time I want to relax, I'd rather do something else than fucking reading. It's too bad because I got dozens of books on my shelves I'd love to read.
t. academicians

I can already tell you're full of shit.

My mother has more books than the guy in the pic has games and she's read all of them.

same can be said of video games. i dont agree with OP broadly, but at a certain number of games, especially if its an 8-bit collection that was bought in the last ten years, he's probably right, though i dont see that being a large number of people. same with books, though date of publication isnt so important as sheer numbers

That's fine

Some people have a collecting mentality and enjoy collecting things because ???

Honestly this, its fun too collect shit regardless of actual function, and if you like games you might as well collect those and you can get some fun games out of it

>infamous last light
>wrong title
>a digital only game
>"ripped from the disc"

aight

Attached: infamous-first-light-2.jpg (1024x640, 46K)

It's not digital only
amazon.co.uk/PlayStation-9838814-inFAMOUS-First-Light/dp/B00KJFDN14

It is in real countries.

>had all the retro games I played as kid at my parents' when I moved out
>brother decides to move to some apartment with his girlfriend years later
>takes literally every retro console and games with him
>only leaving shit that's specifically mine like my old Game Boy or the Pokemon versions that were mine
For what fucking purpose
I didn't give a shit at the time because I figured it'd just be one console and some games for it. Not literally everything. I can't wait to hear about how everyone got black out drunk and then Tyrone came over and swiped a bunch of shit

You mirror my feelings exactly, games are going down the shitter, so I might as well start getting to the countless games I've never played anyway

Imagine the smell

Like where? It was released in european countries and usa as physical copy

Nevermind the walmart listing said that it's imported version. Didn't notice it.

Was it?
ign.com/articles/2014/07/29/physical-release-date-for-infamous-first-light-revealed

I never saw one.

I'm at the opposite end of this, I have 3 siblings a nd tho only 2 of them actually play games (and 1 of them not even that much) I feel like I'm being an ass by taking allmost all of the consoles and games we own despite the fact that I'm the most likely yo use them and own the largest amount of games between us all. I'm honestly considering just Rd buying the consoles so that we each get one but I Al o font want to spend a ton of money to get systems I literally already own

Ye my fault see Saw it listed on walmart, but upon closer inspection it also said that it's english import.