Beloved sequels that are worst than the less known original game

Attached: 16907-star-wars-jedi-knight-ii-jedi-outcast-xbox-front-cover.jpg (800x1117, 117K)

but you didnt post Jedi Academy

Attached: cod4__cover_charlie1.jpg (1000x1416, 205K)

I think Jedi Knight 2: Jedi Outcast was more beloved for its multiplayer
I can't see how anyone would say its singleplayer was better than Dark Forces 2: Jedi Knight 1

Dark Forces II is better than Jedi Outcast, JO and JA are overrated as fuck.

>thinking prehistoric DF1 is better than Jedi outcast
Come on now

>Dark Forces II is better than Jedi Outcast
No, user, it isn't.
this

>Better shooting
>Better level design
>Great live action cutscenes
>Ties with KOTOR
muh old badddd is a brainlet argument

Next you are going to say that Quake 4 is better than Quake because the first one is older.

I feel like JA is one of those sequels that is just simply so mechanically superior to it's predecessor. While I won't necessarily say it's "better", I find myself replaying JA much more that JKII.

I feel the same way about Kotor and Kotor II. The sequel is just more fun to play.

I would say Quake 2 is better than all the other Quakes.
But DF is not that impressive. Something like Duke Nukem 3D blows it out of the water. DF2JK is genuinely too clunky - and that's not the age of the game showing, it's the core of the gameplay being heavily unpolished. Life action cutscenes are amusing, but otherwise the game is not that impressive even if somewhat unique. MotS shares those issues.
Meanwhile, JO is a ground-breaking game in many senses - it has a good story, characters, and pacing. It also had phenomenal gameplay for its time and still holds up very well due to core mechanics being rock solid. The only "issue" of the game is non-intuitive level design - people like to label it "bad" and I disagree but it is true that it's really easy to get lost on a level. And, I guess, anything companion-related on MJ difficulty is not really balanced. I honestly can't think of a reason to like DF2 over JO that won't include words "nostalgia" or "contrarian".

There wasn't a huge leap from JKII to JA gameplay wise,if any. All that was added were dual wielding lightsabers and customization, the game still plays exactly the same.

Disagree about KOTOR because KOTOR 2 is shit but agree on JA vs JO. JO is ultimately is a much better standalone game but JA has more gameplay depth and variety. JO one would replay for the story, JA - for the gameplay.

Mass Effect 2

>There wasn't a huge leap from JKII to JA gameplay wise,
There absolutely was.
You got several new Force abilities, a lot of new acrobatics and combat moves, with dual/staff lightsabers, essentially being new unique styles.
In a sense, JO was the first game that made you grab a lightsaber and feel powerful but JA was the first game that allowed you to ham with it.

Do any of the Mass Effect games still hold up?

>>Ties with KOTOR
How in the hell does Dark Forces have ties with KOTOR?

Mass Effect 1 does.

>jedi outcast
>less known original game
What in the absolute fuck?

The graphics are serviceable despite their age, the role playing consists of more than right up/down due to the presence of charm/intimidate, there aren’t any painfully retarded railroad segments, and the only irritating part is taking a minute for selling/breaking down spare parts every so often.
Shooting, powers and the mako is subjective enough that I’ll leave that to personal tastes.

>worst than
lern 2 comparative/superlative.

dark forces 2: jedi knight was definitely less known than outcast, just as dark forces is less known than jedi knight.

Dark Forces II is jank as fuck. How could it be better than Jedi Outcast or Jedi Academy?

Interested in your opinion on the Kotor games.
I love those games, but the orginal kotor is always the same game, at least the sequel has randomized loot. After playing Kotor I three times, what more is there to explore? Don't get me wrong, I love playing through a game I know every once and while, but I feel like Kotor II offers more variety than it's predecessor.

But that's an interesting point - do you replay a game for the story or gameplay? No right answer there, and your opinion might vary from series to series.

IMO

>Dark Forces 1
My favorite, but I understand it's my tastes alone. I'm a big fan of 1st gen FPS, so it's something up to my alley. No lightsaber or force powers, just pure shooting fun and good-looking, complex levels (for the time). I wouldn't recommend it for beginners, though, the game doesn't have quick save, run out of lives and you have to start over the level. The choices to play this are DOSbox and the source port DarkXL, each with their problems to deal with.

>Dark Forces 2
Typical 2nd gen FPS, introduces jedi stuff, because that's what is cool about Star Wars. Playable on Windows, but jank as fuck, some complicated fixes might be needed. The lightsaber and force shit are very crudely implemented into the game, can't do much with them, due to engine limitations of the time, but the effort of introducing them means that the other parts of the game (the shooting, for example) suffered. Corny live action cutscene fun, and the level design is real fun. Good game, really, but expansion sucks, though. Interesting ideas but their execution in the game suck. Fuck Mara Jade.

>Jedi Outcast
Took DF2 and massively improved it, jedi stuff is now much more fluid and more authentic to the movies. You no longer have to choose what you want to upgrade, it's possible to max out everything. Very stable, runs flawlessly on modern systems. There isn't much else to be said.

>Jedi Academy
Story is meh, feels like just a mission pack of random levels for JO, even lets you choose the order you want to play. But gameplay wise, it's the best game, being further improved from JO, along with options for dual-wielding lightsabers and lightstaff a la Darth Maul. Doesn't allow you to max everything, you have to choose what force powers you want to focus on, like on DF2. Fun to play, as long as you don't care about plot.

I loved the absolute shit out of the original KOTOR. When I first got it, I had a PC with 256Mb RAM so the game was not working properly. I got that bug that made the game slow down tremendously (while still accepting inputs and processing the movement resulting in the game freezing for 10-20 seconds and then your character zooming in the direction you were holding when you got the freeze) when you pass some of the doorframes in the game. It only went away after completely closing the game and loading anew. Another issue was that the game would soft lock itself when your ship is getting ambushed - there was no way around it and I could not continue the game.
Nevertheless, I started the game like three or four times and got to the soft lock. Later, when we bought another memory stick, I immediately played through the entirety of KOTOR and loved the shit out of it.
Some time later, I started KOTOR 2 and I basically only managed to hold through the "tutorial" level before dropping the game completely.
For me, it felt like some sort of a cheap fan-made project compared to KOTOR. It absolutely lacked the feel original KOTOR had that made me return to it over and over again despite not being able to play the game properly. For me, the same way KOTOR was love on the first sight, KOTOR 2 was everything but.
Sometimes I'm thinking about giving KOTOR 2 another chance as it has a pretty huge following of people most of which enjoyed the original KOTOR too. However, if I'm going to play it again, I might as well replay KOTOR itself because I very rarely replay games, so re-experiencing it would feel quite fresh - but then, will I be able to jump to KOTOR2 afterwards? I don't know.

Ruusan, Dromund Kaas and the Sith wars are part are a big part of the plot.

Attached: fallout-2.jpg (1685x1674, 257K)

t. someone who didn't play it back on MSN gaming zone.

I just played through JA again. It's something I do about once a year. I play Jedi Outcast maybe once every 5 years because it has such absolutely fucking garbage level design that's annoying as hell and JA is so mechanically superior even if the voice acting is worse.

Dark Forces II has the most based campaign of any Dark Forces/Jedi Knight game. It also has top tier level design.