Have you ever thought of a video game as a piece of art rather than a video game?

Have you ever thought of a video game as a piece of art rather than a video game?

Attached: michelangelo-david-close-up-photos.png (1200x630, 1M)

Other urls found in this thread:

en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_video_games_in_the_Museum_of_Modern_Art
youtu.be/dy8HXFrqpCI
twitter.com/SFWRedditImages

post d

No

Attached: B49F6F6B-D7A0-4023-8D81-ED00249D9ACE.jpg (600x300, 42K)

Postal 2

art doesn't have to imply quality

all of these threads are really about the definition of "high art"

Machinarium

Shut up no jaw faggot

Have you ever thought of a sculpture as a piece of art rather than a sculpture? What you're saying doesn't make any sense. When i see the monaliza, i don't think "piece of art", i think "portrait".

>heart pupils
michaelangelo was truly ahead of his time

Attached: 056aa3ce801a2e53f21d35c2c579e12e.jpg (600x450, 34K)

yeah, and so have alot of other people
en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_video_games_in_the_Museum_of_Modern_Art

if by "art" you mean something good or profound, then yes, rarely

Just the mother series

Unironically, Tetris.

Depends on your definition of beauty.

Attached: Helios_Head.jpg (220x328, 11K)

Looks neat, here's a butt for your troubles.

Attached: 1548517146649.jpg (375x500, 31K)

The soundtrack is fucking amazing.

youtu.be/dy8HXFrqpCI

No. Most games struggle to make interresting gameplay, which is their point, I don't want to see pseuds or "" "deconstructions""" waddling around when most of the indistry can't make a" constructed" game to save thzir lives.

not personally no

The game itself not so much, but the experience of the game can feel like art in its own way. It's complicated with games because supposed to facilitate art rather than be art in and of itself.

yes

Attached: aw.jpg (1920x1080, 304K)

Attached: 1545016432882.jpg (621x479, 49K)

what happens if they fuck up slightly somewhere along the line when sculpting one of these?

Nier: Automata

D2 on Dreamcast

have you ever thought about how all the smartest and wisest minds of our time are all dead and there is basically zero hope of society ever creating works of art or music that will transcend its era as the great men of old could create?

This isn't even sculpted out of feces? Is that a white male? No mention of social media or feminism either.
I must inform Mr. Goldberg of this violation!

Never. It's like saying driving is a form of art or washing your hands. There is art IN video games of course, but that's about it.

ever seen a pink wojack?

P.T. is designed top to bottom to wring the most tension out of you, from the ambient noise to the lighting (and the changes in lighting) to the hallway's structure. Not one thing is kept constant throughout the game, my favorite example of this when your walking speed suddenly increases.

I'm like Hideo, and the message pictured that pops after the game has been fucking with you is classic Kojima and I think it's a genius inclusion.

It's a shame its impossible to access, I think its a goddamn masterclass in game and horror design

Attached: pt_crash_screen_black_1.jpg (1280x720, 92K)

No. I enjoy video games. Art sucks and artists are pretentious, self-absorbed, contrarian posuers who love huffing their own farts. They sit in big circle jerking hugboxes and talk about big brain topics like "are video games art?". I want artists to stay far far away from my hobby.

Imagine the smell

Look closer, the actual pupils are created using precise sculpting, the dark shadow in the eye is the true pupil.

All games are art because they require artisans to make

Few if any games are art that in any way affects me in a way other than just entertainment

would certainly dwarf any frustration ive felt

If the beginner's guide counts as a game then yes. It's fucking brilliant

>All x are art because they require artisans to make
>All poop is art because it requires some asshole to shit it out

I want post-modernist marxist jews to leave this fucking board already.

Attached: 8105100551_d5de9ce526_b.jpg (768x1024, 111K)

statues are cool

This, although the idea that devs should give fans what they want makes a lot of games lean more towards being simple products.

>shitting is his idea of a creative and expressive endeavor
OK retard.

have you ever thought of this as just a naked dude ?

>Failing to comprehend the analogy
Still flexing your sub 90 IQ, your marxist mongrel?

I will elaborate however - going by your own definition, you claim arbitrarily that by investing a certain effort, the product of the said effort qualifies as art. So where is it that you draw a line as to what quantity of effort is needed? is it as arbitrary as the number of black cocks that must've pounded you in the head while you were still in the womb?

The idea of art to begin with is incredibly pretentious. Not the creation or enjoyment of it of course, both are a great thing. I mean the idea of it having deeper value when in reality it's just something aesthetically pleasing to look at. From that perspective, yes a game can be aesthetically pleasing to look at.

Yes, MGS2, Nier Automata, Bloodborne.

Attached: greeks.jpg (600x600, 25K)

I can jerk off to both so yeah

Attached: 1393046189578.jpg (683x1024, 264K)

Attached: imagine.jpg (500x372, 39K)

I think that for all of them, or at any rate, I group them all and assess them as being fundamentally artistic. The people who genuinely believe video games aren't artistic:

1. have no understanding of how they are made
2. have not played many of them
3. have not thought much about the games they played
4. have no interest in changing these things

No, because I don't play stupid storygame shit that isn't a real game and what dumbfucks who think videogames are "art" are thinking about. I play real fucking videogames which could not at all be mistaken for "art".

I don't need anymore fetishes, user.

Attached: 1562758313447.jpg (500x750, 106K)

Yeah. Hotline Miami.
I think games provide means of artistic expression through gameplay that no other media can replicate. The gameplay in and of itself is the art piece while the audiovisual representation of said gameplay is merely a symptom of it.
Games are a new form of art that hasn't had time to mature into something masterful yet.

Ew, maybe Mother 3 but Mother 1/2 is no where near close

Attached: 1518821257995.jpg (1280x720, 64K)

>Potal 2
ftfy

Attached: 20190727105016_1.jpg (1920x1080, 356K)

I'll always remember how bad I felt when I couldn't get all the Pikmin to the ship before it got dark and how I eventually got used to it and didn't give a shit anymore. They worked hard all day tearing down what I told them to tear down but I didn't assign enough of them to get it done in time or I forgot about them and they died. It's a very different experience from watching somebody in a movie make sad expressions or talk to themselves about how they felt after screwing up.

For video games to be taken seriously as art, they need to take advantage of every aspect of their medium. A game where there is limited to no player interaction will never be "art." The wonderful thing about video games is that they can be replayed and a scene can be fully explored by the character. Video games can allow for alternate story paths that won't feel jarring to take like choose your own adventure books or the rare show that allows for changing of the story.

Imagine if movies were just flat portraits of people dressed up and reading lines from the book their character is from while sometimes panning around to show some scenery. That is what a game that has a bunch of pretty visuals, ask a high-school level philosophy question, has okay music, and you hold down a single button and maybe press another is.

A truly artful game will take advantage of the interactivity of the material. I'd argue that whatever the current Call of Duty game is more artful than those shitty indie-studio "games" that everyone goes around praising as "art."

Dues Ex is a game I'd consider "art."

The final boss of Drakengard 3 was the first time I thought long and hard about its appeal as art. I decided it is a fucking masterpiece.

>cropping out the feet

>"piece of art rather than a video game"
You fucking wish user, but no, and that will never happen.

>Game is artful in measure to how interactive it is

What a shit opinion to have

tl;dr
Good, well thought out post though. I wouldn't consider any video game art though.

S

closest i ever came to thinking that maybe video games could be art

Attached: yes right here.jpg (1920x1080, 147K)

nah only 2 brother

Probably MGS2. "postmodernism" and whatever else, It's the only reason not to consider it an absolute piece of shit.

Now i’m sad! :(

Why would a shit game be art?

K

Attached: The_Rape_of_Proserpina_1_-_Bernini_-_1622_-_Galleria_Borghese,_Rome.jpg (979x1306, 783K)

for me to consider a game as a work of art, it has to be a phenomenal game first

Not really, I can't think of any games that could be "art"

>MGS2
Not with that shitty ending sequence that needed a sequel years later to explain what happened

If you put all your focus in the visuals, why didn't you make a 3d movie or cartoon?

If you put all your focus in the music, why didn't you release an album?

If you put all your focus in story, why didn't you write a book?

Meaningful interaction is only seen with oral storytelling and video games. Theater can get close to it if the and only really children's books attempt having interaction.

Interaction is the defining element for video games, all the other elements support it. I'm sorry I called your beloved visual novel or indie "art" game non-art.

Video games are the only medium in which all of those can come together in an interactive format. Done right, it's the best art form. Of course, with all the Yea Forumsirgins crying about "muh movie games" and jerking off to their anime tiddies, I wouldn't be surprised that most adults see games as a pastime for immature individuals.

>What are operas
>What are musicals
>Implying mixtures of basic art forms cannot be considered art in themselves

Your IQ 75 premise would earn you upboats on reddit solely, to which you should be fucking off with that spacing and all.

>Interaction is the defining element for video games
Going by your absolutely subjective standards and preferences? Just go and neck yourself you pseud neckbeard.

It comes down to how the medium is treated. Too many people see video games, and cartoons, as a purely childish thing because their culture tells them they are. And since they see them as being "childish" they dismiss anything from the mediums in order to maintain their social standing. Being a normalfaggot has to be what hell is like, you aren't allowed to enjoy anything other than what you are told to.

MGS1-3, art.
Red Dead Redemption, art.
Red Dead Redemption 2, art.
Death Stranding, art.

>In a 2006 interview with US Official PlayStation 2 Magazine, game designer Hideo Kojima agreed with Ebert's assessment that video games are not art.
>Since the highest ideal of all video games is to achieve 100% player satisfaction whereas art is targeted to at least one person, Kojima argued that video game creation is more of a service than an artistic endeavor.

directors don't typically have enough control and most of that do don't really have interest in making something artistic

Okay retard, forgive me for not spending two hours going every possible combination because you are too autistic for your own good.

>used operas and musicals as an example

Oh you mean two mediums that if the primary element (the music) is bad, the work is trash? Thanks for defending my point. Video games are about interaction, be it with the story, other players, the game itself, or whatever.

Attached: 1562147298394.jpg (171x171, 6K)

They are good entertaintment...art is more than that...but you can say that some games some artistic aspects or values on them.

I don't care what the fag has to say, his games ARE extremely creative, entertaining, and thought-provoking.
That's all I need to call something art.

Sorry but interactivity kills any artistic notion a piece may have.

if thats your complaint about mgs2 then you're not respecting it as a video game let alone art

>Not with that shitty ending sequence that needed a sequel years later to explain what happened
Pretty low IQ if you needed a sequel to follow that shit. Enjoy your memes and your content without context brow.

Art is subjective. It doesn't matter what the fuck Kojima or anyone else thinks is art. You can think that dogshit on the side of the road is art if you want. That's why these conversations are fundamentally retarded in the first place.

Delusional brainlet, those arent even good videogames nor movies (even if they try hard to be )

>art is to only be viewed

That is a very sad outlook to have.

Bloodborne is art

Any message or intention a work has is inevitably lost with the user interaction.

yes, when i played postal 2

>Calls someone a retard
>Fails to comprehend an analogy so that it suits his own faulty poorly thought-out premise

Gee lad, like I said, you NEED to fuck off.

>primary element
If the acting is shit, it's going to be bad as well. One aspect does not necessarily stand out from the other, to such a magnitude as to define the wholesome nature of the art form in question.

>Video games are about interaction, be it with the story, other players, the game itself, or whatever.
>REEEEEEEEE, GAMES ARE WHAT I SAY THEY ARE ABOUT, AND ART IS WHAT I SAY IT IS AND HOW GOOD IT IS, IS GONNA BE HOW ARBITRARILY I DEFINE IT

Top kek lad, and you're the one labeling people as autists? You're a walking, talking joke.

What you like is subjective, but you can value art under certain standards...the art is subjective argument makes no sense. Under that view Pong is equally good as Grand Theft Auto or Monkey Island, you name it, they aren't.

Refer to

This user is right.

Also Lisa The Painful and Silenthill 2 are pieces of art

Seething cucks. Art is for the viewer. You can experience a game far more fully than a movie, a linear experience that doesn't let you explore.

Tetris

>make an game about anti-war
>give the player the option to do all these terrible things and then show them outcomes to them
>the meaning of anti-war is somehow now lost

Being stuck in the past must be horrible.

How is it inevitable? Is Detroit: Become Human closer to being art than Dark Souls is?

>Any message or intention a work has is inevitably lost with the user interaction.

Holy flying fuck, how can one sentence be so wrong?

Holy shit dude, I'm sorry I implied your favorite visual novel is worse than Call of Duty. If I knew it was going to cause you to have a mental breakdown I wouldn't have said it. Consider turning stepping away from your computer for at least a day.

Attached: 1550945935401.gif (320x320, 2.46M)

Nice argument. Now fuck off already, you've upboats to farm with your blog posts of pseud stances.

What is art but entertainment?
What is entertainment that unleashes rare emotions and thoughts in us anything else but art?
Who are people that attach nebulous qualities to things, just to help their low self esteem, but faggots?

would be interesting to use an UV light in this

>a piece of art rather than a video game
false dichotomy imo, although the topic "what be art" is famously unproductive, so nobody will be able to b8 me into it no matter how seductively stupid of a reply they write to this post

you missed the point of mgs2

why would that even be true?

How do I get a statue girlfriend?

Video games are an amalgam of varying art forms with an added element of interactivity, whose quality is measured by dissecting the elements composing its structure, analyzing them individually, and then forming up a sum and promptly - judgment on its value.

Nothing unproductive there.

not yet, but just wait until you're 20 replies deep in the dumbest conversation of your month going back and forth with some guy who greentexts and writes autistic extended replies to individual three or four word phrases in your posts, nope. not going there, been there a dozen times already