I'm looking to try Fighting Games, could I get a rundown on the major series...

I'm looking to try Fighting Games, could I get a rundown on the major series, and what features set them apart from each other?

Attached: scorp.png (358x370, 59K)

Other urls found in this thread:

youtube.com/watch?v=Coolg3m7FC0
youtube.com/watch?v=BpANFQ9Z1Qw
youtube.com/watch?v=_3Vtoo28kMU
healthline.com/health/average-iq
twitter.com/SFWRedditVideos

you're always going to get bodied because it's a genre aimed towards people that grew up playing them in the arcades. find a better game or hobby to invest your time into

All of them are repetitive, boring juggly garbage except for For Honor

You want a decent, unique and satisfying fighting game, get For Honor

Thanks for the advice, but I'd like to at least try.

Enjoy spending hours and hours practicing just to get fucked up by some random scrub online

Post dem yellow characters

Well, do you have any idea of what you’d want out of your fighting game? I can help but tell me that first please

I'm honestly not familiar with the genre, so I'm not sure what a good starting point would be.

Tekken
>only 3D fighter with a userbase; legacy game that hasn't changed much in the last 15 years, top players have been playing for a decade. each character has 100+ moves and you have to learn a lot of them to compete at the highest level; insanely high skill ceiling but a moderate skill floor, decent to hard execution. easy to get into and easy to get addicted to because of the depth and never ending learning cycle; each character has a unique playstyle but each character can also be played similarly (mostly), depends on how you want to play; neutral based on poking and creating whiffs/ punishing risky negative moves for 40-50% combos; probably the most balanced, you can pick anyone and get to blue ranks if you're good enough, not really hardcapped by low tier characters
MK11/NRS
>block button; low skill floor, medium skill ceiling; easy execution, dial-a-combo makes it so you just memorize inputs; based around 50/50s and getting the first touch in neutral to oppress your opponent with blockstrings and force them to guess; each character has a unique playstyle but they're not very complex, mostly find your best blockstrings, best neutral moves and vest 50/50s and you're good to go. kusoge for the most part; top tiers are clear cut and bottom tiers are straight up handicapped and missing basic tools
SFV
>easy to get into, hard to master. iconic characters; short combos put an emphasis on neutral, big part of the game is spacing and "footsies"; balance is hit or miss, you can win with most characters but the good characters are blatantly good
Samsho
>entirely based on footsies, no need to bother with combos; blockstrings and neutral focused; balance is meh, some characters straight up suck but most are serviceable
SC6
>I don't really know shit about sc6, never played it, but my impression is that it's a casual game
DBFZ
>50/50 blockstring simulator, very fun casually but high tier gameplay gets repetitive very very fast

I like 2D Mortal Kombat because they have universal moves like a high damage uppercut, round house kick that knocks down, jump kick that knocks back, mashable punch combo
What I like about Mortal Kombat 9 is that the meter system is so simple that a retard who doesn't play fighting games can understand and use. You can save up your meter for an ultra (done with 2 buttons universally) for a noob friendly 30% damage, or utilize smaller increments for smarter things that higher IQ would want to use.

The only fighting game that matters is the one you can get friends to come over and play.
Also, a great introduction to footsies is One Strike.

sfv. tons of newbies to play with online. super easy to get started with. balance and mechanics aren't that bad now that weve gone through a few major patches. best fighting game for new players, and arguably best fighting game of the generation. make sure to buy AE edition. doing all the single player content will give you enough in game currency to buy the remaining characters.

Alright, that’s a bit of a big question, so I’m gonna say this

Skullgirls, Guilty Gear Xrd, and Under Night: In Birth Late(st) have the best tutorial systems. You’ll probably want to go with Skull Girls since it’s a 6 button fighter and that’s usually what other fighting games are, but since Under Night is a 4 button fighter it’s a bit simpler to get the hang of.
However, if at any point you find a Fightan that tickles your fancy more, go for it.
Oh, and you can’t go wrong with Street Fighter, it’s basically everyone’s granddaddy and has little to no Gimmicks

A big part of Fightans is also a sort of “Fighting Game Theory”. Basically, there’s knowledge that carries over from other fighting games that will improve your odds (certain motions, how to start and not drops combos, spacing, etc.). Some tutorials will tell you about this and some won’t. Luckily for you, it’s not the mid 90’s anymore and you have the internet, and, more importantly, YouTube. Many, many guides on this sort of thing exist.
CoreAGaming has many videos on fighting game theory that are generalized and edited well enough to double as edutainment

Them’s Fightin’ Herds is also really good if you’re just learning but it has roots in horse show so uh

Attached: 6913BBC9-665D-474E-A39D-5C3819214CEA.gif (184x191, 1.14M)

Oh, forgot to clarify, there do exist more specialized tutorials if you need those. For pretty much anything, too.

lmao no one wants to play your dead incel bait game stop trying to get him to play so in a week he can come back asking where the fuck to find skullgirls players

this

I'm (obviously a tekken player) and I want to add that is right, sfv is probably the best popular fg to get started with the genre. it'll teach you the basic concepts in fighting games and by the time you get to a level where you understand its flaws you'll be able to make your own decision on what to play anyways. It's easy to get into and has a high skill ceiling if you do end up enjoying it. If you don't like the way sfv plays you probably won't like fighting games in general. You could always give Tekken a shot if you don't like sfv, it's a lot different from any other fighting game and you can get away with just asserting your offense onto the other player even if you know nothing but your character's offense. only works like that up to a certain point but it can be fun for someone new to the genre

>no virtua fighter

>no dead or alive

>no marvel VS capcom II

youtube.com/watch?v=Coolg3m7FC0

youtube.com/watch?v=BpANFQ9Z1Qw

youtube.com/watch?v=_3Vtoo28kMU

Attached: Dead or Alive Hardcore.jpg (3225x2156, 1.03M)

Fighting games can be brutal to get into because you have to put so much effort into getting decent. The best advice I can give is to find a game that really grabs you, and one your friends play if possible.

Good advice

Faggotry

You can't play fighting games because you weren't shat out of the womb playing them. just play something else. All the games are biased towards people who have been playing for ages it's best to just not try.

Should we post them yellow niggas? I'm confused. The post says something but the image says something else.

Just play MK or Street Fighter. They're easy to learn, but hard to master. Tekken is the only game that's catered to the try hard fags that stuck around from the 90s

Terrible fucking mentality to live by.

Attached: 1236769843590.jpg (254x283, 14K)

OP I will say this, I hope you are okay with constant loss. I got into the genre just this year, I still lose most of the games I play, but you need to get over it. It will suck, I know I myself get demotivated at times, but you have to keep playing. Don't listen to idiots that complain "You had to grow up with them" or "muh complicated inputs". You don't need to be some top player who makes it to the top 8 at majors, just play and maybe go to locals to have fun. Ignore the faggots and ignore the losses, just keep playing and have fun, if you don't then the genre isn't for you.

I really enjoy Samurai Shodown and think it's a pretty good beginner game. There's little emphasis on combos, they are often very short and easy, and it's more just about understanding the characters and mechanics. I really enjoy it personally, though the balance right now is kind of janky. I would really suggest trying to just watch footage of a bunch of games to see what interests you though.

Attached: The Scrub Complaint Bingo.png (1216x1480, 822K)

>VF
dead
>DOA
kusoge
>mvc2
dead and irrelevant
i only named the popular fighting games, nobody new to the genre wants to play fightcade against 10k hour autists dude

street fighter 5 specifically set out to cater towards newbies looking to get into the genre and frankly it did a good job. I'm not good yet but I find it fun, there are tons of people to play with, I don't have to memorize 100 tekken block strings per character before I can start trying to make reads and outplay or outfootsie people, artstyle is controversial but the animations, visual feedback, and sound design/audio feedback is fantastic and helps keep you engaged, training mode is great, and there is tons of material online to use to learn the game as you go.

It's even worse to think you can accomplish anything if you just keep trying and do your very very best

Quit feeling sorry for yourself faggot.

You're gonna get a thousand times more out of first watching youtube videos of the most popular fighting games (so you actually have a base of people to play against), then picking a character out of that game, watching a video or two on how to play them, and watching a video on how the general mechanics of said game work.

Then do the tutorial of the game, go into training mode to commit some bread and butter combos to muscle memory, and then try out some netplay. No one here is gonna help you in any significant way with those things.

Attached: 1555034093830.jpg (1400x1600, 171K)

good job disproving me your such an intelligent fellow

dead or alive

you dont play any of those games

I don't need to disprove a retard.

It's not that you don't need to, it's more that you can't

Attached: nofight.png (434x431, 153K)

I'm right, it's just that if I were to explain my reasoning, you wouldn't be able to comprehend my sophisticated message.

CHARACTERS

You also can't get into FPS or Moba games in this case. Same amount of memorization to do, difficult execution, lots of bullshit, not friendly to new players.

I would never recommend anyone play MvC2. It's horrible at high level. Unless you're not serious about fighting games at all, then yeah go ahead. It's great for casual fucking around in.

here is one

Attached: Mortal Kombat 11_20190724032014_1.png (1920x1080, 1.75M)

Sure
>Street Fighter
The grandfather of the genre and the one you should play as a newcommer. It's basic and you can learn from a lot of concepts that are used in almost all fighting games, with degrees on them.
>Mortal Kombat
Your fake second best option. Has one of the best single player modes and can be easy to play thanks to the controls and the blocking bottom but also can let you learn bad habits if you try to play other games outside of MK. Also, there is blood and gore, if you are into that.
>Tekken
This is your real second option. Tekken is a 3D fighter and the new dimension can be scary at first, but also lets you do more crazy stuff. It's pretty easy to play and learn, but harder to master, with some of the best graphics in every generation.
After those, the next games are more into things you might want, depending on your liking
>Samurai Shodown uses basics for everything and it's the definition of "punishing your enemy's mistake" with how every move is and the damage you can deal, even with one hit
>Guilty Gear is for a more agressive playstyle. Has a high skill barrier to enter, but if you pass that, the game becomes a delight to play. Also, has one of the best OST in my humble opinion
>Under Night In Birth is a fun game that let's you carry most the knowledge gotten on other games with the characters. Has a high-ish skill barrier but a great tutorial for newcomers.
>Soul Calibur is Tekken with weapon and more towards the space and how the attacks lands, as you can throw your enemy of the ring.
>Blazblue is a more accesible Gulty Gear with more characters and forms to play.
>Dragon Ball Fighterz is a 3v3 fighter where you chose your team and fight with your enemy's team. Its more about the changing of characters and trying to full alo the holes in one character with the rest but the mechanics also lets you take by suprise to your enemy.
>Marvel vs Capcom is anorther Tag fighter but with another moveset.
Just try any.

>He retard doesn't know that it's a destructive lifestyle that can never lead to anything good
I'm just saying that some things in this world are unobtainable to the damned
Those arn't nearly as horseshit as fighting games can get

>spoiler
Fucking Hasbro, I could have had a fun game featuring technicolor horses, but instead I have to deal with "but it's the spirit that matters!" bullshit. Now they have zero decent games, and also can suck my dick.

I like that they gave him baseball catcher leg guards.

Here are some recommendations:

Killer Instinct (the one thats on Steam)
Dragonball FighterZ
Blazblue Central Fiction or Blazblue Crosstag Battle (either one is good)
Skullgirls
Ultimate Marvel Vs Capcom 3

I miss when Scorpion and Sub Zero looked white but their lore had them be asian. It doesn't align but it was interesting. Sort of like how nips design Japanese characters but looked white anyway.

As an extremely casual player, I found Soul Calibur to be the easiest to get into. I personally think its the most fun but thats because I like using various weapons.

ive played literally every fighting game faggot

Play unist, it's currently free on steam for a few days and has a godly tutorial. It's one of the most balanced fighters out there and every character is pretty unique. The unique GRD system makes balancing offense and defense extremely important, which makes neutral extremely fun to play.
The OST is also pretty amazing.

>Your fake second best option

Attached: 35y45745574674.jpg (625x468, 69K)

You vastly underestimate the potential of your average Joe.

I'll second SC, I find it to be the most fun fighting game series as a casual. I haven't played 6 but love 2 and 4.

1.Street Fighter: more or less every other franchise use the same layout so you can jump from SF to anything. Is hard to learn because you must choose only 1 character and fully understand what is he good at. I'll continue in subsequent posts

and you're newbie ranks in every single one of them

OP here, just wanted to thank everybody for the info.

2.Mortal Kombat: is somewhat equally to street in character movement, special attacks and damage input. Is a little easier to learn since they give you the combos you can make and 11 is even easier to learn. The only bad thing is combos are pre-set so it's hard to jump from this to other games, except Tekken or Injustice (wich is a even more casual MK)

>well 68% of people are in between 85 and 115 so i doubt that

This will cause shrieking but you should try smash bros to see if you like it

3.Tekken: for most people it looks difficult because is a 3D fighter but the real difficulty is to learn the full moveset of your character (like SF). Execution wise combos are easy. Movement and defensive options are a little more complicated than other games. T7 is one of the best games this gen so you can try it after playing any other fighter and you feel they complement each other (as in you learn one and it helps to play the other better)

don't waste your money on smash. the game is mostly a flowchart where you spam short hop aerials in "neutral", use one or two other buttons (almost always uptilt and upair) to juggle, and do the same braindead shit to ledgeguard/recover each time. For some characters ledge guarding literally means spamming b over and over no matter what. spacing is a joke and exists only on swordies that can hit you from a mile away due to clumsy movement, and too many things depend on the matchup because of lopsided charcters and many matchups are just unfun.

>Those arn't nearly as horseshit as fighting games can get
Amount of bullshit you have to learn to start playing Dota is unbelievable, unless being a burden is your top priority.

4.Marvel vs Capcom: the way basic combos work is really easy and flashy. The complexity of the game is the speed. The game is fast and the roster is really varied so you have to learn what other characters can do. Also creating your team is not that easy. This is one of the best franchises because how spectacular the matches are and how much bullshit happens all the time

I meant more for FPS games
MOBA games is a meta build or character of the month where you find the most bullshit thing in the game and use as much as possible before they "patch" it out and just add more bullshit there's no real true MOBA game where its actual skill

OP I am like you, I recently decided to try fighting games (haven't played them since I was a kid, too young to ever get good at them) and I bought MK11. I don't regret it, super fun and has a great tutorial for absolute beginners but also for the super advanced stuff. I understand it's not very popular around here but I'm having a blast and have learned a shit ton, already put 150 hours into it and can hold my own online

Who are you quoting?

Nixon

google healthline.com/health/average-iq

5. Dragon ball: it takes a lot of things from Marvel vs Capcom but is even flashier. Auto combos are a big part of the gameplay since they work better than pressing the buttons in order. Is somewhat easy to play but almost every character looks the same in action. You NEED to play this game if you like DBZ

6. Soul Calibur: I think this is my preferred one from this gen. Is really easy to do combos blindly so you can play with a lot of friends. Characters move like Tekken but faster. The most recent game has meter so you can do a super special move like in other games (by just pressing 1 button). The difficult comes when you need to evade/defend because certain characters can be really annoying to the one you are using (matchup)

I've only been playing 2 years and I'm already quite good.

I just started playing yesterday, doing story mode and I'm very impressed.

SC's ring out mechanic is probably the most fun idea in fighting games. There have been so many times I was getting stomped but managed to out manouver the enemy into falling off, it's a riot

7. BlazBlue: this is a good series because almost every character is viable. Combos work more or less like Marvel but I feel they are a little slower. CrossTag is Blazblue but with auto combos, guess characters and team battles (original BB is 1v1) so you have more or less the same problems from Marvel and Dragon Ball. Im not that good in SNK games so the only thing I can say is that those require actual skill to play. Even the most basic combos in KoF are hard and auto combos are not useful. Samurai Shodown is like Street Figter but every character is Dhalsim and deals 30% damage with almost every move so you have to play with caution

This is how you identify somebody who knows absolutely nothing about fighting games.

Tekken is shit, Street Fighter is shit, Mortal Kombat is shit, games like DBFZ are shit.

Play Heritage For The Future on fightcade, or invest in playing games that have the spirit of a fighting game, like For Honor or Souls PVP.

>souls PvP
>spirit of a fighting game
HOLY SHIT THE COPE LMAO SOULS PVPERS THINK THEY"RE ON THE SAME LEVEL AS FIGHTING GAME PLAYERS

The problem with fighting games is people who play fighting games

>he fell for the IQ meme

>Play Heritage For The Future on fightcade
I don't want to play puppet characters.

>7. BlazBlue: this is a good series because almost every character is viable.

Fucking retard.

Attached: jodie foster laugh.gif (320x240, 1.58M)

Very nice bait, friend

Attached: 1536356808648.png (625x626, 102K)

Souls PVP is focused more on strategy and actual combat compared to fighting games.
I don't get this "puppet character" shit, it's literally the same as playing a normal character.
You'll never reach anywhere, especially not the truth.

Well fighting games are shit anyway

Which one of these are you

Wha-

shit i really fell for it

cool logic
go back to fortnite and splatoon

Even fortnite requires some kind of level of experience
try harder

>lmao don't bother improving cause you'll suck dick at first
yikes

Attached: 177726512983.jpg (1280x720, 101K)

Just explain your point bro. This isn't a test or something so I don't need your approval, just convince me

Don't even reply to bait, let's share our experiences with every FG from this gen, even smash since I feel Ultimate is the most balanced game in the series (except for the Hero)

You are clearly some stunted retard or a tranny. Go back to fortnite and stop giving people your low tier faggot "advice"

Right now I'm playing DBFZ, 3rd Strike, and Samsho2. As someone new-ish to fighters I feel I'm covering my bases pretty well with these and really starting to grasp fundamentals.

>b-b-but fighting game le* epic and cool why do people not like it i love getting destroyed after my 5 years of practice
go play a better genre cuck
seethe

My experience is that SFV is a real fighting game and Ultimate feels like a fucking random party game where 99% of the game is learning your optimal cheese strat instead of learning your options and reading opponents.

dude theres other newbs to play with, unless of course you picked a dead game.

All fighting games become dead after the first month release dumbass
and that's because it gets fucking boring
at least u can leave a fucking match without getting banned unlike mobas

>reading opponents
Well if you insist we can talk about smash. In fact a big part of the game is exactly what you said, read the opponent. Since its a floaty game you need to know where to move to evade or attack so you will need to read your rival. I don't like competitive smash but I can tell you that you can't do a meteor smash without this basic knowledge

That's how all competition works you retard. FPS games are pick the best gun, typically high damage/fire rate so less ttk, and learn your dumb side gimmicks. Fighting games are pick the best characters, learn their OPTIMAL bnbs and fundamentals in general. And you do this until they fucking nerf it or buff/add others.

>meteor smash
you mean a spike or a smash attack?

KI is still forever one of the most balanced traditional fighting games I have ever played.

Basically fucking do the same boring repetitive shit all the time with the same group of retards until all things in that game so hardwired into your brain you don't get the thrill of a difficult fight anymore and win 10 bucks at a tournament . when is a game a game anymore?

As far as I understand and seen, most pro players still actually enjoy playing their games of choice, so it's still effectively a game. If you stop enjoying playing a game you got good at, the problem lies with you.

this is a very naive view of competitive games. Competitive games are supposed to present both players with the ability to make decisions and the players typically have to guess what the other is going to do and pick the decisions that counter the other player's decisions. different games facilitate such decision making to different extents and in different ways. shooters tend to be the worst and more like what you described, while a game like SFV aims to be almost purely decision making and barely any technical skill.

>hurr durr u stopped having fun in the game its ur fault oh you stopped enjoying that too? well its ur fault for not enjoying repetitive mechanics
In the end every game is like a fighting game it just exponentially longer to start being good at fighting games

You sound like you literally don't even enjoy video games even ones you "liked" anymore. Just fuck off from the thread at this point you joyless boomer.

>In the end every game is like a fighting game it just exponentially longer to start being good at fighting games
not really. shooters and strategy and fighting games feel entirely different and they all take a long time to get good at. the meme that fighting games are even harder originates with the games requiring you to press a button with single frame accuracy, which most games have moved away from because they'd like to emphasize decision making over autistically grinding combo timing to such an extreme extent.

What a critique!

yea lost any other arguments for fighting games.
They are only slightly better than mobas in gameplay, atleast mobas can allow to pull some shit every once in a while but fighting games is the same small percent of the roster as the top while the rest are either barely playable in competitive or just horseshit garbage.

>all fucking games require you to predict what the other is gonna do retard it's the same even in fucking chess
and just because they raise the frame perfect time from 1 frame too 3 doesnt make any less fucking infuriating to do