GameStop Struggles Continue, As Company Lays Off 50 Managers

>GameStop Struggles Continue, As Company Lays Off 50 Managers

Video game retailer GameStop has suffered another setback, it seems, as the company has reportedly announced a "GameStop Reboot initiative" that is resulting in dozens of layoffs.

A memo announcing the move leaked on Twitter. It states that more than 50 "field leaders" are losing their jobs. Those affected include regional managers, district managers, loss prevention managers, and HR staff, according to the letter (via Gamasutra).

The memo states that GameStop is looking to "reduce our cost structure and build efficiencies into our field leadership organization so that we can reinvest in the business."

It goes on to state: "These decisions are not easy, but necessary to help us reduce costs to enable revenue-driving initiatives that will help grow the business once again."

gamespot.com/articles/gamestop-struggles-continue-as-company-lays-off-50/1100-6468860/?utm_source=gamefaqs&utm_medium=partner&utm_content=news_module&utm_campaign=hub_platform

Attached: image-asset.jpg (1920x1080, 279K)

Those phone companies they weren't into debt to buy really fucked them

Managers who force their employees to force customers to sign up for membership cards get no sympathy from me. Get fucked.

I can't wait for that shithole to go bankrupt.

Attached: 1549612112269.webm (1280x720, 2.8M)

Oh no gamestops dying whatever will we do

Attached: 1433593765112.jpg (870x593, 80K)

>middle management and HR getting fired
I'm sorry, where's the problem exactly? Literally the most useless fucking """""""jobs""""""" in any business.

>MFW I worked for a company that got acquired by Gamestop and had the option to move and work for them but said no

Attached: 1423940616333.jpg (500x375, 53K)

Managers are forced by upper management though

>PChads win again

Attached: 1485924896178.png (300x300, 36K)

The only way to survive is to be online only store. That's all.

Get off this board ESL

I was chatting with a mate at work today and although GameStop absolutely sucks, the future is going to be mostly digital. It's a major win for publishers since they won't need to create boxes of physical media and will be able to deliver quickly and instantly. This is also convenient for the end-user. However, this will make it so that there are no used games available. No sharing. No sales. No cheap prices. No eBay. Again, fuck GameStop, but yeah man, the future for vidya is digital only, I feel like. Maybe all media.

Attached: consider the following.jpg (706x747, 238K)

Liquidation sale please

Except Nintendo will always use bullshit like XQD cards.

>the future is going to be mostly digital
The PRESENT is mostly digital. That's why gamestop's already falling apart. The future is going to be entirely digital.

Kinda noticed that moving further and further into digital over the years, companies did at least stop bitching about used games sales.

nintendo has digital games as well

>convenient for the end user
Haha, yes, fellow gamer. Won't it be wonderful when all our gaming options are subject to eulas and always-online monitoring?

continue to give jeff bezos money?

Faster please

>force employees to upsell customser
>customers hate going to gamestop because of it
gee i wonder why they're failing

>nintendo
>xqd, literally a format created by sony

We do that already by existing tho

Attached: 1463635217655.jpg (1920x1080, 251K)

>no cheap prices
That’s where you’re wrong. Digital is dirt cheap if you’re a little patient, especially on PC

Yeah, they'll be fully digital as soon as movies are.

Or free if you're willing to resist the rising corporate state and be a cool gentleman by pirating them.

>corporations are evil
>how dare they make non-essential luxury goods and charge money for them
200+ IQ pirate logic

I think the physical game market is definitely going to continue to shrink, but there's always going to be a reasonably sized core userbase that prefers physical media to digital for whatever reason. Same thing happened to records. People claim they sound better but nothing can beat lossless high density digital files. That said, people want a shelf to display stuff on. For games it already exists in the form of stuff like "Limited Run" which creates physical releases for indie digital only games.

Gamestop is dying not only because their userbase is shrinking, but also because they're a shitty company. Hopefully a better business comes along and takes over as a national/international game store, but if not, physical media will hang around in the Wal-Marts and Best Buys of the world. It might end up being collector's only, but physical media will still exist.

Records are pure novelty goods. Only nostalgiafags with too much money would even take a second glance at them. The biggest benefit of CDs was that you wouldn’t need to install the entire game on your system to run it. That’s no longer the case with this gen and its 50 GB day-one patches.

oh no no no no where will i get my games now Yea Forums?
Also is someone here who wants to buy my ps4 pro with 20 games for 30$?

>this gen and its 50 GB day-one patches.

Hate that bullshit (though I understand the reason). What's the point of the damn disc then?

Is any game past the ps2 era actually valuable past its release window? I cleared out my ps3 collection recently and they were all worthless.

>50 GB day-one patches
I really hope the PS5 comes with 5TB from the get-go. This is why I don't want to buy a Switch and buy meme micro sd cards that'll burn out faster.

>reduce our cost structure and build efficiencies into our field leadership organization so that we can reinvest in the business

How can anyone work these types of jobs and keep their sanity. Everything is corporate jargon. I wanna be like "ENGLISH MUTHAFUCKER. DO YOU SPEAK IT?"

They're too afraid to say "we're firing people and closing shit as a last ditch effort to not go under." Everything's bullshitted harder than the fucking english essays i wrote in high school

Video games are bigger than ever and gamestop is failing. That means gamestop is doing something wrong. To fix it they should sell off all their locations and open 1/3 the amount of stores but only 10 times bigger that are basically Dave and Buster competitors with a game store inside of them. Doing this they win again.

It's a buyers market for Xbox 360 and ps3 right now, give it 2-3 years. Wii is already getting pricer to collect for.

TIME FOR DISC REPLAY TO BEGIN ITS ASCENT

so is now the time to go looking for ps3 games?

They are trying to shift away from games and turn the franchise into generic geek-mechandise stores. Like Hot Topic but for incels.

Seriously, go to a pawn shop to find cheap games, not Gamestop. Got Folklore for PS3 last year at a pawn shop near me for $5, practically like new.

360 and PS3 games have patches, which means they are good only as long as the servers remain. I dont see them being "collectible". Then again I'm sure 90% of NES games sold are just used as shelf ornaments.

I hope you enjoy your 500 GB of uncompressed WAV+gold format voice lines because publishers are fighting with each other to hold storage share of your hard drive and lock other games out due to not being able to install more games and lock you to playing fewer and fewer games