What the heck was the appeal of the survival horror genre...

What the heck was the appeal of the survival horror genre? I'm trying to slog through pic related and I'm getting torn apart. It's not even fun.
Also post other genres you're glad died in the 90s

Attached: 71zFQ8ou1EL._AC_SL1024_.jpg (1024x1024, 117K)

See, the "Mature" rating is actually an age limit. Try it again five years later when you're allowed to play these games and maybe it'll be different.

Not sure if this is bait, but i 100% agree. This game is just too boring for me to handle

>cumbrain thread

its in the name you fucking idiot. Survival Horror. You try to "survive" a horrific event. It isn't called Action Horror or Racing Horror. In this genre the cards are supposed to seem stacked against you.

Attached: image.png (1349x1432, 121K)

>survival horror
>died in the 90s

Attached: 1562611875956.png (640x360, 272K)

If you're consistently losing then you need to change your approach to the challenge, not complain about the game for having obstacles. git gud

Exactly. Thankfully the franchise has now been updated to modern expectations. Don't get me wrong I like the atmosphere and music of the mansion, I just wish it was ots like the new ones. Hopefully we'll some day get a modern remake

shit genre that only cumbrains like

Maybe don’t go dumping all of your bullets into trash? Running is the best strategy 90%of the time.

I hate it when people say this. YOU LITERALLY DON'T HAVE ROOM TO DO THIS 90% OF THE TIME
it makes me think that most of the people defending this game haven't actually ever played it but parrot what others have said and pretend to like it for ecred

if you can't into this then there is no hope for you

in REmake you do have room
learn to bait the zombies into lunging and then run past them retard
now in RE2make you can't bait zombies because they are super aggressive when they lunge

nuRE isn't survival horror you zoomer quadroon

OP, you had to be there in the 90's to appreciate it. Action games were common but the idea of a Horror game that emphasized mood and atmosphere with limited weapons and ammo was revolutionary for the time. It also helped that the concept for RE was incredibly strong while 1/2/3 are all time classics. 4 is objectively the best of the franchise that perfectly balances action with Horror, unsurprising since RE creator Shinji Mikami (who did the original trilogy) made it. Every game since has been generic action trash with absolutely no attempt to make the games feel like Horror. Just generic monster blasting shit!!!FACT!!!

>RE is the only survival horror series

play as jill first and get the shotgun right away. ez mode activated. wait for zombie to get close aim up and shoot.

This game is literally perfect. RE4 would be as good if the island wasn't so shit. Also get pleb filtered

This is literally GOAT, as in the best videogame of all time. Only double digit IQ actioncucks would disagree

The idea was that it was supposed to be scary with all the terrible jump scares and there would be tension because of limited ammo even though really you could just shoot everything and still be okay.

>4
>not generic action trash

Attached: 1564604604139.jpg (501x500, 65K)

>4
>balances action and horror
You suplex bug head niggas and get ammo out the ass.

>now in RE2make you can't bait zombies because they are super aggressive when they lunge
Wait they're not shamblers? I haven't played it yet but was really looking forward to. I'm beginning to fear it's going to feel too much like 4 for me

They're good games if you have the patience to ha does them

they are slow
i meant that if you are near them then they are aggressive in their lunging, you can't bait them like in the older games
to pacify them you can shoot either of their legs off

to add to that, they don't lunge just once and give up like in say REmake
they continue trying to grab you for a few feet before giving up

So it plays like an action game...

Zoom-zoom

This

Attached: 1564095108483.jpg (1024x682, 135K)

why do you hate everything I love ?

How is some like 4 or RE2R not superior in every way?

No

It plays as if it were a classic Resident Evil game but with an over the shoulder camera

>plays as if it were a classic Resident Evil game but with an over the shoulder camera
Not possible.

It's true try playing it sometime

Management and exploration and jump scares/tension

>zoomer role play thread

Remake was my first survival horror game. It's a great entry point into the genre. I eagerly devoured original 1, 2, 3, and even begged my mom for PS2 for Silent Hill.

The puzzles are easy but not insultingly so, the limited mechanics are easy to learn but hard to master. You can replay the game over and over again ratcheting up the difficulty each time as you become more proficient with the "game crunch". I eventually beat invisible Enemy hard. It's a fantastic game.

The enemies can still be seen via reflections can't they

so this is the power of zoomer IQ...

I have, it's nothing like the original and it plays exactly like 4. It even features the adaptive difficulty that 4 ushered in.

Try playing it on the hardest difficulty next time, it's the only one that matters.

Explain. I thought it just gives you less health.

This is why publishers should stop porting older games and making remasters.
Every time they port a game a new batch of zoomers starts complaining about how the game is bad or hard.
Every time a new REmake port is made there are endless threads of people complaining they can't even reach the first save room.
I'm sick of it, anons.
REmake is my favourite game but whenever I see a thread about REmake up that isn't a general RE characterfaggotry and shipping it's zoomer trash.
Fuck this.

It adds ink ribbons and makes the game actually like the old ones

Reflections, and if you use a defense dagger it will stay in, so the floating knife is your enemy.

If you blow their head up with the shotgun or a lucky pistol shot, you can pick the knife back up and use it again. Really useful on inivisible enemy mode. I learned that from a YouTube video

i think the op is satire bro

Attached: 1564611961654.jpg (2400x3000, 2.56M)

That cover art is satire look at that shit
look at the gun he's holding

>pump action ar-15/m4 shotgun

Attached: 1535258489980.jpg (685x564, 52K)

Attached: 1564611999197.jpg (2400x3000, 2.32M)

Shut the fuck up retard, REmake is literally one of the easiest RE's next to RE2

Attached: 582CA2F3-2F81-489C-B40E-D0F51FC6A498.jpg (640x970, 159K)

How is it not?

Attached: 207D895C-323A-468B-B509-2EC1138E684C.jpg (720x1200, 123K)

retard

Go back to Fortshit kid.

Attached: RE cast.webm (320x240, 2.66M)

>it plays exactly like 4
AHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA

Nah RE4-7, the Revelations games, the rail shooters (basically any of the action games) are far easier than the classics.

Most of the classics REALLY aren't hard user. RE0 and CV, maybe 3 can be challenging. REmake is easy.

This is where gaming died. Just play one button phone games you dumb asshole.

Resource management, tension, puzzle solving. In the case of Silent Hill, atmosphere, well written characters and a gripping story.

Too much action. The switch to ots gives the player too much control and naturally lends itself to more combat oriented gameplay. Also, the whole game felt pretty streamlined.

Evil Within is the best game in the genre.

Im tired of this "this is TOO much action!" Meme

just because a door slams and a gun goes "pew" does not make a whole game "action". Anyone pretending they are playing REmake like 4, doing button prompt 360 jumping roundhouse kicks and doing room by room eliminations of enemies like 4 does has not played the fucking game.

The appeal is that you're stacked against stiff odds and you succeed through competent planning and execution. You don't play survival horror games to feel good, you play them expecting to have to struggle a little.

Despite what people are going to tell you, the older RE titles are shit for replay value. After you finish the game once you might as well just drop it forever because the only thing you get afterwards are extra costumes, cheat weapons that aren't fun to use, and maybe a meme mode or two. Even casuals can clear most of the old-school RE games in less than 2 hours after a couple of playthroughs because they're mechanically shallow and the layout never changes. Honestly, you don't even need to do both characters in RE1 because the routes and """story""" are only marginally different.

OP, you had to be there in the 90's to appreciate it. Action games were common but the idea of a Horror game that emphasized mood and atmosphere with limited weapons and ammo was revolutionary for the time.
Uh-huh.

Attached: 1837132731.jpg (2000x2504, 1.06M)

These people will never get the fun. Ots about when you think that hallway you prefer using to get around suddenly bursts full of too many Zombies and you feel "oh fuck shit." that IS the good feeling to me. Choosing either to sort this situation out now or going and using the route you dont like. This is an outbreak.

Attached: 61FC5B2E-E89D-406D-9685-0D9653692605.jpg (1130x1600, 602K)

>despite long time common and accepted viewpoint on the matter

Not reading

>this is an outbreak
no this is an outbreak

Attached: 1548931277437.png (800x1147, 1.55M)

k thanks for letting me know. Just thought I should warn him before repetition loving retards and speed-running autists lie to him.

Stop killing zombies, dummy. Avoid them.

>role play
if only you knew how bad things really are

We have already established he isn't to be "convinced". He either has made up his mind already or, judging by his whole post, felt like a bit of attention today and wanted to start a fight on 4channel.