Black Mesa

Gonarch's Lair beta is up. Also entire OST out.

Attached: Black Mesa Screenshot 2019.06.25 - 18.14.28.83.png (1920x1080, 3.55M)

Other urls found in this thread:

steamcommunity.com/games/362890/announcements/detail/1613896871988932184
youtube.com/watch?v=aqgMTciDnpo
twitter.com/SFWRedditGifs

>Trees and ferns

It seems the BM team wisely recruited the genius behind the critically acclaimed Cinematic Mod.

Can't wait to see the Nihilanth in a few years

Looks like they completely missed the point of Xen.

Oh wow that looks fucking wrong

WHY the FUCK did they include all that greenery and shit? Did they even fucking read the lore of Half Life? Xen is supposed to be an uninhabitable swampy shit-rock, what the fuck is this?

nice halo mod

it looks great but it doesn't look like xen at all

Eh. I'm fine with it. This is obviously from a "wild" section of Xen. It's probably been scooping up little bits of all sorts of species from all sorts of worlds for millennia.

More screenshots

steamcommunity.com/games/362890/announcements/detail/1613896871988932184

They fucked up on the art so hard I'm glad I lost interest years before.

>Made the game worse with awful balance decision
>Xen was already shit so thought it couldn't get worse
>Ruin the one neat think about Xen by adding terrestrial looking plants and foliage
I respect the effort but why bother when they don't know what the fuck they're doing.

Attached: dreams crashed.png (380x365, 120K)

Even the alien portions just take after Doom 2016's Hell dimension cause that was the hot thing at the time. I don't know if the people at Valve are hacks but their lead here seem to be.

and here's the thing, it's familiar terrestrial fauna on plain rock. The thing about Xen was that the majority of the environments were living things.
Fleshy skeleton walls and meat caves, outside of the factory levels which were tech base.

>c4a1b
Now show c2 or c3

It looks retarded and is badly designed. Everything is scattered at random - note the tentacle Xen plant living in harmony with the terrestrial plants. IRL plants wage war on each other, blotting out sunlight, strangling each other's roots etc That's why garden flowers can't survive in the wild.

Why couldn't they have featured more weird fungal blooms and other unpleasant-looking growths? Probably because flowers and trees are easier.

Here is concept art of the flora in the Hawaii levels of Hotline Miami 2.

A game that takes place in Hawaii and has a top down perspective and thus it's likely you will never notice shit like this has more alien looking plants then a game meant to takes place in a different dimension.

Why?

Attached: Weirdflora.jpg (823x969, 557K)

>completely change the level to be an Avatar ripoff
This is why fan projects are always shit and the definition of soulless

What does this have to do with valve?

It screams fantasy, not alien.

FULLY

Xen was the best part of Half-Life and people only hated it because they wanted more bland science center

kek, it really does give off Avatar vibes

Am i the only one that unironically liked the barren design of Xen in HL1? This looks like that Halo mission.

I wanted Xen not Tallon Overworld.

Attached: Tallon IV.png (1920x1080, 1.68M)

Xen (original) had a perfectly fine design.
What was hated was the map layout and sudden difficulty spike.

Oh yeah, now I think of it it does look like some ungodly recreation in the Source engine.

Nintendo - hire this man!

That's not Xen, this is Xen.

Attached: dimensionless_deepness_by_a_shift_ddckvi2.jpg (3548x2200, 1.97M)

Said nobody but you...

Personally the only terrible level was the one right after gonarch that required to to shoot yourself out of flesh tubes onto flying ships and god fucking damn no engine can handle that bs

How did they do it? How did they avoid all of the modding bullshit melodrama and become an independent company?

Attached: crowbarcollective.png (300x300, 31K)

Looks like futuristic Skull Island. I'd never guess it was Xen unless you told me beforehand desu.

black mesa is such a zoomer game holy shit fuck off there's nothing wrong with the original half life

Wish valve had never given these hack faggots the go ahead.

I'm still on the first xen chapter which is apparently 18 maps long. It's starting to get interesting.
forest section felt kinda uneeded though, but i like that there was research stuff there.

Attached: Black Mesa Screenshot 2019.08.01 - 22.11.00.76.png (1920x1080, 2.85M)

why did this take so long

That looks a hell of a lot better actually.
I'm still keeping my expectations low since the vast majority of changes Black Mesa has made has been for the worse.

I mean it doesn't always look great but i'm liking this area so far.

Attached: Black Mesa Screenshot 2019.08.01 - 22.22.24.45.png (1920x1080, 3.85M)

Xen in the original is universally agreed to be shit you posing zoomer.

silohuette looks cool at least

that's funny cuz it sure as hell didn't look like it

haha goddamn.

how many years of their lives have these people spent recreated someone elses' game?

the OST fucking sucks

>how many years of their lives have these people spent recreated someone elses' game?
not as many as you spent not having sex

I thought i saw they finished Xen, but does that mean they've only done the first few levels IN Xen? What on earth is taking so long?

xen wasn't built in a day

youtube.com/watch?v=aqgMTciDnpo
this fucking music. What were they thinking?

So much seething itt.

I'm still on the Xen chapter and it's been like 2 hours.

I like it well enough.

can you imagine working on one project, your life's work, being an inferior recreation of an FPS? a game which would only take competent devs a couple years?

it's like carving a shittier Mount Rushmore with a spoon.

have sex.

screenshots

Attached: Black Mesa Screenshot 2019.08.01 - 23.19.36.39.png (1920x1080, 2.9M)

Attached: Black Mesa Screenshot 2019.08.01 - 23.21.38.45.png (1920x1080, 3.44M)

Personally I like the new visuals but hope they change them up some more in the later levels. What really herniates my balls is the terrible level directioning. Like how tf are you supposed to know some red glowing plant behing a bunch of leaves is what you're supposed to shoot or slot of the other plant puzzles? Could add some demonstration of interactible objects in the beginning or the scientists info on them.

Attached: tumblr_inline_pfo6s3ugRa1sjb5ap_1280.png (802x813, 775K)

People tend to shoot the glowing red things. While I generally agree, you first course of action should always be to shoot it.

Gonarch.
Can't say I'm a fan of the method they use to force you to watch the cutscenes but movement wise it looks good. It shits out a ton of babies.

Attached: Black Mesa 2019.08.01 - 21.22.56.02.DVR.webm (800x450, 2.98M)

What the actual fuck.
I remember playing black mesa for free, see this thread and look for it again. It is now 20 dollars and "released" in 2015. Can someone give me a rundown of the jewshit that is going on?

Iktf

It's an improved (and soon complete) version of the free mod. You can still get the free release if you wish.

Game went a little bit... beyooooond expectations, and decided to release on steam at a price of course.

You can still get the original for free. Though it was originally going to be free, they were able to get Valve to let them put it on steam so they could fund Xen.
Take that as you will.

What the FUCK is its problem?

Attached: Gonarch_model.jpg (482x554, 90K)

REEEEEEEEEE

crowbar collective isnt valve. you are actually implying that valve cares about the half life franchise.

Watching DeSinc stream and be utterly bewildered by the puzzles

Attached: 1564251839528m.jpg (1002x1024, 104K)

Beat gonarch section. Basically the entire gonarch chapter is of you pursuing the gonarch through out a large array of caves and the gonarch sometimes chasing you.
It's actually really cool.
I hope they get the bugs ironed out. It'll be way more engaging if I'm not chugging frames every other second.

is he trolling?