Favorite Half-Life 'whatever'

What is everyone's favorite HL game/moment/character/gun/whateverelseyouwant?
I finished the first one a few months ago, but I still prefer hl2

Attached: header.jpg (460x215, 46K)

Other urls found in this thread:

twhl.info/vault/view/6330
steamcommunity.com/games/362890/announcements/detail/1613896871988932184
youtube.com/watch?v=_YwC7V1nmXU
youtube.com/watch?v=cZFw1G2a62Q
youtube.com/watch?v=Liv4CvpMdRA
youtube.com/watch?v=Hlcp-3Bl4M0
youtube.com/watch?v=tsoAqGRfRm0
ttlg.com/forums/showthread.php?t=62064
youtube.com/watch?v=XX-FzYVS4UM
youtube.com/watch?v=YJZiIjyeT78
ipfs.io/ipfs/QmPb8jaf8EGzdNFm43ahjtH9ws6fwJXpheZj4tvccGz7HW
youtube.com/watch?v=_DAguj9uUq8
youtube.com/watch?v=q6fN1TiqcXs
youtube.com/watch?v=0MyenR1eqng
ttlg.com/forums/showthread.php?t=117548&page=2
twitter.com/breengrub
ttlg.com/forums/showthread.php?t=35416
youtube.com/watch?v=ylyCY9srJGw
steamcommunity.com/id/xbeelzebub/
youtube.com/watch?v=6Iu4GXUHfU0
youtube.com/watch?v=SUecnaevAEo
youtu.be/zPiAK_RP8dU
reddit.com/r/HalfLife/comments/6p12oh/overrated_franchise/
doomworld.com/forum/topic/35130-which-game-is-by-far-most-overrated/?page=3
wcnews.com/chatzone/threads/half-life-the-most-overrated-game-series-of-all-time.28195/
web.archive.org/web/20180202123909/http://aigamedev.com/open/review/fear-ai/
youtube.com/watch?v=7pg-JQyrPLw
youtube.com/watch?v=W-LMXP5sQTk
youtube.com/watch?v=fL_PuaDcaO4
tvtropes.org/pmwiki/posts.php?discussion=13014203120A87914500&page=1
youtube.com/watch?v=3aRzzfJ-9fk
youtu.be/dzMq5_thk4o
translate.google.co.uk/translate?sl=auto&tl=en&u=https://hl2-beta.ru/index.php?action=downloads;sa=view;down=245
moddb.com/mods/half-life-2-classic
gamespot.com/forums/games-discussion-1000000/whats-so-great-about-half-life-31509936/?page=2
youtube.com/watch?v=nbVvZ8d1W1U
twitter.com/SFWRedditVideos

The fact that Episode 3 or HL3 is never, EVER going to happen.

we talking sourcemods too?
I really like terminal 7, even though its kinda a meme. Its so surreal.

Half-Life 2: Episode Two, fighting the Hunters at the radio tower.

Hunters are still the most fun enemy I have ever played against in any single player game ever. The Advisor fights in Episode Three just weren't as good.

I love the part in Blue Shift where you walk into a tall sewer pipe and a body falls down right in front of you, then you look up and see the HECU marines for the first time.

I like HL1 more than HL2 but the penultimate chapter of HL2 where you have the overpowered gravity gun and are using it to pick up Combine soldiers and throwing them into other Combine soldiers is one of my favorite parts of any video game ever.

greetings

I seriously dont understand how anyone can prefer the boring tech demo that was half life 2 over the master piece that is hl1.
HL2 was only good in ravenholm and the final sequences, the rest was nothing more than a display of tech over anything of substance

On that note, My favorite mod would have to be Smod and it's different versions including CSS Sci Fi.

Attached: smodoc24.webm (1280x720, 2.91M)

Also the episodes were miles better because once it exhausted the freshness of the new tech it had to start doing actual engaging game play

twhl.info/vault/view/6330

This is a pretty recent map that experiments with non-linear design and you should try it because it's good.

the Nova Prospekt chapter

When I first found out you could use the gauss gun's ricochets to kill shit in HL1. I would even go out of my way to shoot the ground in front of bad guys so it would bounce up and kill them I thought it was that cool.

Good times.

The beta stuff, mainly the idea of air exchange.

The beta looked 10 times better than the game we got, damn fucking shame

Top Five GoldSrc mods coming through

Attached: they_hunger_field.jpg (1680x1050, 267K)

the concept are really neat but the actual WC maps are quite shit. retail HL2 is atlease a playable game. Grass is greener I guess.

Gold source mods were the fucking best.

Attached: 22763.jpg (620x465, 52K)

Eh, it seemed much more a bunch of neat ideas smashed together without much connective tissue. I'm quite happy that the game ended up darker and more cohesive

Maps are one of the things that changed the most so I doubt those wouldve even seen the light
Concepts on the other hand build the entire foundation of the game

Black Mesa, the part where you have to fight an entire crowd of marines while trying to exit the lobby.

I love all out fights like that.

The best part was that Counterstrike was like a giant containment zone for all the assholes and kids, so all of these smaller mods were like having a bunch of cool niche communities to explore.

I really disliked how the show the combine as this massive, intergalactic force that uses species from all over the universe as their army yet we only fight roided humans with masks 90% of the game

The best thing about user maps for HL2: No Alyx

The whole Ravenholm section was great. Creepy, frantic, fun use of the gravity gun, clever environmental storytelling while following the path of the priests's exploits and his clear attempts to remove headcrabs from their hosts, etc.

Attached: father grigori.jpg (700x525, 48K)

that final head crab jumping past me into the abyss right before the citadel

Attached: 1404905527424.jpg (256x256, 71K)

Black Mesa just released the beta for Gonarch levels.
>steamcommunity.com/games/362890/announcements/detail/1613896871988932184

They Hunger is the fucking best. Probably my favorite mod of anything of all time.

The original half-life execution of that was pretty good, but Black Mesa's marines are kinda sloppy so as to make its version rather irritating.

>best mobility
>make people explode
literally the best weapon in any fps of all time
youtube.com/watch?v=_YwC7V1nmXU
youtube.com/watch?v=cZFw1G2a62Q

I'll get it once it's finished for good

Freeman's Mind.

>I finished the first one a few months ago, but I still prefer hl2
I feel like it too. But i haven't played black mesa yet, i want to.

don't tell anyone but there might be a ARG for a certain valve VR game hidden in the final xen release ;-) a certain game that takes place after xen in HL1 and before HL2

Water Hazard, although that's probably because I listened to Helicopter by Bloc Party at the same time from hearing it in Gmod Idiot Box so both are permanently etched in my brain as fun times.

While I think that some of HL2's longer gunplay sequences have aged a bit over the years, I'll never forget the classic intro to City 17.

There's so much personality and info delivered about the setting in such a short amount of time, and the little interactive details that let you poke around the environment while darting around ongoing Civil Protection violence and messing around in Kleiner's lab really blew me away back in the day.

Attached: breen grub.png (752x679, 500K)

You can listen to the OST while you wait.
Bes theme youtube.com/watch?v=Liv4CvpMdRA

Civil Protection.

youtube.com/watch?v=Hlcp-3Bl4M0

Attached: mike and dave.jpg (640x360, 41K)

Portal, Portal 2 and Team Fortress 2 are the only good games Valve has ever made.

The ass-clenching part of Half-Life 1 with the room full of laser trip mines.
youtube.com/watch?v=tsoAqGRfRm0

I love satchel charges because hard to fling but fuckhuge damage is a fun tradeoff.

Attached: 1550529183289.jpg (1440x900, 209K)

Why the fuck are your houndeyes yellow?

To attract mates? I dunno, why not?

Gmod 9 blew my mind.

Of all the biological questions half-life creatures should fill you with, "being yellow" is pretty low on the list. Animals on Earth can be yellow. What's the big deal?

What about "is a tripod really the most effective design evolution would produce?" What about tiny stub third arms?

Attached: 1547715885085.jpg (1080x1000, 416K)

I see you missed the "your," clearly implying that the bright yellow is incorrect - their color is supposed to be much paler. Reading comprehension is important.

It's an easy mistake when your post implies "pale yellow" isn't "yellow." They've always been yellow, retard. It's probably just the difference between the Blue-Shift models and the originals.

The moment when I missed out on Half-Life and thus have no longing for a third game.

>missing out on good games is a good thing
yeah ok

Attached: 1549242507515.png (554x436, 71K)

Those houndeyes are a brighter yellow than the fucking satchel tag. In no official version of the game do they look that retarded, leaving some retarded mod to be responsible, hence the obvious implicit question of what fullymodelledvagina-tier bullshit was responsible. I see you also have absolutely fuckall knowledge about color theory - "paler" relative to "bright yellow" does not necessarily mean "pale yellow." Yellow is an important tone in many colors that would never be described as yellow, such as beige. Further, yes, "pale yellow" absolutely the fuck is not "yellow" when the "yellow" being referred to is "wet floor warning sign yellow." Go suck your own dick you pedantic, psuedointellectual jackass.

>breaking out "color theory" over a shade of yellow
Give it a rest, windbag. And yeah I know you broke out the "pseudo-intellectual" comment to preempt me from doing it to you after your colors rant. Nice defensive move. Or you just know the term so well because you've heard it so many times in reference to yourself.

I quote "Reading comprehension is important." You are trying way to hard to compensate for your failure to recognize the intent of a post, having doubled down on being a smug ass after it was made clear to you. It is okay misread a person from time to time - own up to it instead of engaging the "I see you have said multiple things so I will attack the least important of them in an attempt to drag you off into an obscure tangent completely irrelevant to the original point you made, which I am actively ignoring" defense.

>windbag
>says the guy who posted
jej

I once made a Half-Life spaceship map that looks like a super shotgun, if that counts as a favourite moment? Total coincidence but pretty neat

Attached: fb_ship (29).jpg (1028x424, 165K)

>Those houndeyes are a brighter yellow than the fucking satchel tag.
If anything, I'd say they were pale green with a lot of brightness. You need your eyes checked, son.

Episode 2
Holding out against the hunters inside the house at the end of episode 2 with Alyx
Don't have one
Pump action shotgun and the high tech machine gun. Forgot what it was called. Shoots those blue orbs that bounce all over the place.

Reminder Yea Forums hl was hated
ttlg.com/forums/showthread.php?t=62064

Yes, this
Literally the only thing I can keep replaying without it getting old
Awesome atmosphere that constantly goes between creepy and goofy

I played the demo so many times I could probably recrate the entire thing from memory

Any time you fight synth enemies in HL2

How do I get rid of this smeared look that all the textures in this game have?

Stop being a zoomer

My favorite moment is playing vidya when it was 1998 and I was listening to Aphex Twin and shitposting on Newgrounds

Attached: 1562782142053.jpg (511x340, 23K)

The battle in the appart near the horse statue in HL2
desu all of anticitizen one and follow freeman
its non stop action and you can catch a break by looking at other firefights in the distance/background

Attached: 3ea13129-ab0c-40f5-983f-d4cf2f2f5f88.jpg (236x236, 27K)

It's like a video game equivalent of Return of the Living Dead
perfect mix of genuinely creepy and goofy
episode 3 kinda losses me with a lot of reused areas

fuck you grandpa

Prove them wrong

Surface and Ethics

Absolutely no one here doubted that Half-Life drew some haters in because it took some spotlight away from Quake, especially with TFC and DMC (not saying DMC is better than QW). When you win literally dozens of GOTY awards and your game's website is literally www.gameoftheyear.com, you're going to get some hate.

Except that website is full of lgs games fans (system shock, thief, ultima underworld)

Good thing I addressed that in the second half of my post

Boy, that sure was a hard comment to digest. Big words like "evolution" and "biological." Tough ones, those.

>tfw the uprising is one of your favorite parts of the half-life series but most people say it's average

Attached: 1468243511417.jpg (232x197, 23K)

It's probably just the lighting. It looks like some weird lighting engine is being used, maybe it's one of the source ports.

And you're too eager to look for a fight. Yeah, I missed a word. I fucked up. But you aren't even willing to admit your comment implies something strange like "houndeyes weren't yellow." Breaking out a tangent over "color theory" and what a fool I am for mistaking "pale yellow" was a bitch move. Own up to your own bullshit.

WHY THE FUCK DO THE HOUNDEYES LOOK DIFFERENT

This is the first time I have seen anybody talk about Terminal 7 on Yea Forums in over a year and that was me. Yeah, definitely my favorite source mod, albeit it could have been a little better.

Was that the rebel attack part of HL2 where you get a squad?

Fuck off Cat Phuckers.

Gonarch is kinda cool I guess. Hits like a fucking trunk though. They need to balance the kinetics for it.

Attached: Black Mesa 2019.08.01 - 21.22.56.02.DVR.webm (1280x720, 2.95M)

Follow Freeman is easily the most intense chapter in any Half Life game. Not even Surface Tension comes close

I think they broke Gonarch in a recent patch too. That part where he's supposed to fall in a pit doesn't work right. Or maybe I was playing Sven Coop at the time.

Those are the chapters where the citizens are fighting the Combine in City 17.

Yeah that was pretty fun. The hopper mines were neat.

>trying to fight the baby headcrabs with all that visual noise on the ground
what were they thinking

My brother thinks ravenholm is poorly paced and designed, in particular he thinks the poison zombies are so much of a pain to fully defeat that they become a negative to the experience. I think its a masterfully designed survival horror segment which is actually scary and each zombie type adds a new play style.

Who is right?

You are. Besides I think there's only three or four poison zombies in the whole chapter

You have yet to prove thiefags wrong.

That's a bug in the original I think.

Maybe I wasn't playing right or it's a bug in the source version.

G-String, I've heard good things about it but have not played it yet myself

half-life sucks

Ravenholm is such a physics showcase. It's hard to be too spooked when the place is filled with explosives and sawblades to gravitygun around. I don't think poison headcrabs are very dangerous though. They give you a scare as you wait for your health to regen, but there's almost never a second threat around them to finish you off.

I guess my opinion falls somewhere in the middle.

Poison headcrabs are only dangerous if there are other enemies besides poison headcrabs
Their bite reduces your health to 1 because of the poison but they only do 10 actual damage

>game gives you new weapon
>next level is designed in a way that encourages you to use that weapon
How is this bad?

I like the way the chapter is designed around the gravity gun, but it can hamper the horror.

The first time I played HL2 was a pirate version, and the game was bugged so that Ravenholm wouldn't load unless you chose it from the main menu, rendering you weaponless except for crowbar and gravity gun. I played the legal version the same way to get the achievement.

I didn't say it was "bad" but it definitely felt pretty "video gamey" which doesn't really immerse me in the tension of the moment.

Alright, there were definitely spooky times, but the early parts didn't feel very dangerous.

Attached: 1554531896358.png (382x566, 112K)

Fair enough

I have no idea how half-life modding became so popular. The hammer editor is a fucking piece of shit

name a level editor with the same amount of freedom to create world geometry with just brushes (not models)
i'll wait

The movement.

Attached: mpchc64_20190722_12082838.webm (1920x1080, 1.47M)

Seems fine to me baka desu senpai. I think i'm near the Gonarch sequance but it's actually kinda cool. It needs some cleaning up though.

I don't think I ever learned to bhop properly after all these years. I know they're mixing in strafe keys but I just don't get the timing.

>tfw HL2 deathmatch was your first genuine online multiplayer experience

Attached: 1563922336344.jpg (1142x1136, 418K)

I really like the soundtrack

bind mwheeldown +jump

You can't bhop fast in the current steam ver of hl1 because of the speed cap in place. You'll need to obtain the WON version specifically designed for speedrunning to go truly faste. Or you could get openag which is a mod version of hl1 dm with autohop and a lot of other features.

>2

Attached: 1533300680916.png (529x363, 145K)

HL1 > HL2 solo.

HL2 fucking sucks but the soundtrack is killer
youtube.com/watch?v=XX-FzYVS4UM

Thanks for the tips. I should dig out my won copy.

I really like Nova Prospekt in HL2. The buildup, the transition into it, the escape from it.
>get to set up turrets to defend Alyx and yourself while you're in a gauntlet
>get to have firefights in various parts of the prison that are largely unique and are seemingly made for combat
>that basement with the electric current running through the water
>plenty of props to have Grav gun shenanigans with
Such an underrated part of that game.

/thread

fuck i loved quake 2

I finished Half-Life for the first time few days ago. It was good beside the railway section and Xen levels. Are Opposing Force and Blue Shift worth playing?

They're all worth playing, even Decay (if you have someone to play it with)

REEEE LEAVE ME ALONE YOU FUCKING WALKING TESTICLE

Attached: Black Mesa 2019.08.02 - 00.29.00.15.DVR.webm (800x450, 1.29M)

Opposing Force might be the best game in the series if it weren't for the fact that it's so short, so absolutely.

Opposing Force is the fucking best. Yes it's worth it.

Yes, definitely

Blue Shift is better

Wrong.

I really liked the Glove that lets you shoot tiny heat seeking aliens. Summoner weapons are always fun to play with.

you have insulted my preferred expansion*slaps you with glove* i challenge you to a duel,choose they weapon ye knave

Getting drunk and playing hl2 deathmatch with my buddies is peak fun

I never get tired of playing Opposing Force

wtf is a summoner
it's a hivehand you retard

i sort of wished opposing force used more of the squad mechanics like combat engi cutting through doors

my favorite part was going through the dev commentary and seeing their references to episode 3
never ever lmao

Attached: 1542673209557.png (480x480, 423K)

>not surfing the hit back into the arena

Is this a bait post?
>glove
Hivehand, hornet gun
>heat seeking aliens
Hornets
>summoner
No clue what the fuck that is. Hivehands were used by Alien Grunts though.

My favourite moment is in Half-Life 2 when you emerge from mine leading to Ravenholm. You just went through one hell of a night and walk into a crisp new morning in the train yards off of Highway 17. All is relatively quiet, but after the first fast zombie and blowing up the first combine sniper, you can see that it's no longer just the regular police that are after you, but the Combine's military grunts that are now gunning for you. The music gives great vibes as the scene opens up, and it just really stuck with me.

Fighting squads of humanoid combine soldiers in a series of little arenas, Highway 17.

The actual buggy driving was overrated, I would have preferred something like platforming/physics puzzles along the highway between fights instead, given that a non-linear approach was technically unfeasible at the time.

you also get the Pulse Rifle
my favorite weapon

It's a great gun, especially compared to the SMG which is a pathetic fucking peashooter, but I just wish it could carry more reserve ammo. I always want to save the AR for when I desperately need it because I know ammo for it is scarce in certain levels and you can only carry 3 mags of it

Opposing Force

The last boss is the worst part of the mod on hard difficulty since you probably need to save just about every bullet for the fight except ar ammo since plenty is given before you get in the helicopter. Doesn't help that it looks like sniper rounds are going through the enemies helicopter and the only explosives to use against him are ar grenades if you saved them to that fight.

I had so much more fun with HL2 after learning how to change the config files to give me 30/90 ammo for the ar2

man HL and aphex twin just go hand in hand with me for some reason

found out about him through Afraid of Monsters: Director's Cut

Stone In Focus is def one of his best ambient tracks

You can say the same about HL1 the only thing people ever praise about it is minor technological innovations and then they slap the word "immersion" somewhere without ever explaining why this is anymore immersive than any other FPS game at the time.

Experiencing the online and all the mods that people made.
It was just so much fun whenever something new would release and a BUNCH of servers would pop up and you grab all your friends to try this cool new thing.
Seeing all the big mods evolve over time
Seeing all the different stuff they added to the game.
The Half-life that exists today is completely different from what was released and it was super fun seeing it all happen.

Anyone play old nipper maps in 1.6/source?

Attached: 5bb2e2374d522.jpg (1920x1080, 336K)

i actually don't really like that one except as the main menu music for AoMDC
it's too uneventful for me i guess

playing through the half life campaign in sven coop with 20 anons

>server has no rush protection

Attached: 1544418038809.jpg (525x516, 71K)

Alright faggots serious question time. Which game's version of the shared weapons do you prefer?
> Crowbar: 1
> Pistol: 1
> Revolver: 2
> SMG: 1
> SMG Secondary: 2
> Shotgun: Tied Unless Sven Co-op's version is counted
> Crossbow: 2
> RPG: 2
> Grenade: 2

Half life 2 with the mod 1187. Im surprised not many speak about that mod. I LOVE it so much!

>Afraid of Monsters: Director's Cut
Still upset that we could have had a stand alone re-mod of that, it was called Afraid of Monsters: Dark Assistance. There would have been new models and even a 4-player co-op but it was cancelled a year after it was announced (2015-2016) once ruMpel saw that sven coop was stand alone on steam with Zorbo's AoM servers. Those servers were eventually shut downed around the end of 2017.

what is it? what is it about?

I didn't even know that was a thing wtf
Most of my playtime on Sven was on Zorbos' servers and yeah I got sad when he took them down for whatever reason

for me, it's Half-Life Uplink. That demo was my entire childhood.

Attached: proxy.duckduckgo.com.png (640x480, 75K)

Its a sidestory of a civilian with the events of half life 1/2. The gunplay however has been GREATLY expanded with secondary fire, quick melees with guns, iron sights for all guns, a few parts of slow mo, new levels, etc.
Its basically a half life spin off campaign.

That one was fun but I hated trying to play that rogue train because the ai for the npcs were broken, at least the ones in the cutscenes, and so I couldn't do the boss fight until I installed the rogue train over 1187. That then worked but broke the ai for the main mod, such as the gman just staring around in the opening rather than talking. I had to eventually delete it and a bunch of source mods once that whole steampipe update or whatever it was that basically broke majority of the source mods.

i do agree that having your mod split into 2 incompatible sections was stupid. Cant argue much now tho. Last update for the mod was in 2015, although they claimed to solve the compatibility issues.

Just me, or is the HL/Blueshift broken now? Or has it always been buggy? My most recent and first playthrough, a lot of the enemy AI seemed sluggish to non-responsive, mainly the vortigaunts and alien soldiers; I thought you had to lure the imprisoned alien soldier in the lambda complex into one of the following cage rooms and kill it with the ceiling laser device, the one you have to activate from inside a control room and it kills everything and anything still outside, but I couldn't lure it out from its initial prison room.

There are some screenshots from the Afraid of Monsters facebook page from 2015.

Don't know if it's a bug for me, but the HUD in Blueshift is orange instead of blue the last time I played it on Steam.

hl1/opfor areas with invisible black ops

Post your dream Half-Life mod

Half Life 2 is overall an inferior game to Half Life, but some of the setpieces are tight af.
I love all of Highway 17. The lighthouse battle, the abandoned house which is booby trapped with rollermines, the tunnel which is clogged full of zombies, the fucking bridge.
God what an amazing level.

Why aren't you playing HL1 and its mods on Xash3D?

Attached: Untitled.png (1368x768, 703K)

youtube.com/watch?v=YJZiIjyeT78
I really enjoy this section of combine dialogue. Only caught bits and pieces of it in-game, but still enjoyed it.

nipper is an absolute legend when it comes to custom maps

>I seriously dont understand how anyone can prefer the boring tech demo that was half life 2

Yeah yeah yeah we’ve already heard it

looks fun
this is the kind of shit the new valve games needed

>chapter is titled Follow Freeman
>check my nametag
>I'm Freeman

Attached: Marry Christmas.mp4_snapshot_01.38_[2019.02.06_14.44.49].jpg (300x300, 18K)

>15th Dec 2002 21:44

FFFFFFUUUUUUUUCCCCCCCKKKKKKK

Attached: 1509294186046.jpg (550x366, 60K)

Attached: 1419355921955.webm (854x480, 1.73M)

The fact that the combine are not overdesigned sins crimes against my eyes like most sci-fi armor designs with thousands upon thousands of unnecessary shiny details and trinkets on their bodies. Same for their invasion. It's not some grimdark bullshit, but just a city under occupation. I really loved Captive State for that same reason.
>Literally has citadels in big cities, but they go underground
>subtle references to this like one of the characters who is a cop says about some ideas for his superiors "I kicked it downstairs"
>Literally inner city walls like in hl2 beta
>biological/mechanical scanners
>one of the devices in the movie literally has the stock sound used for the gravity gun

don't watch the trailer, it's not representative of the movie.

Attached: captivestate2019-06-19-12h24m14s238.jpg (1920x1080, 184K)

No there isn't. Where's your proof? There is no ARG for fucking HLVR. Valve is trolling the half-life fanbase, and they always will. There will never be another half-life game.

Attached: 1511864899263.webm (640x400, 2.91M)

So why does anyone actually think half-life is a good game? I think the gameplay is pretty bland. Just another shitty, cringey, FPS with a story they just kept going with along the way. The only half life game that was even worth the time to play was probably the middle and late stage of Half-Life 2. The rest of it was shit. Valve realised they backed themselves into a corner with their shitty story telling, hence why Laidlaw just upped and left. That's why there will never be a half life 3 or episode 3.

too fast for zoomers

oooooo
my dude right here
also, last two episodes was really fucked up, I'm kinda really feel bad for these guys

nope, it's okay

What the name of that mod with destructable voxel zombies?

Never greentext a url again

Post Half-Life OC

Attached: 047 Just another day at Xen.jpg (800x1218, 959K)

The point is not to fight theme here. You just dodge whatever comes at you and run.

The 'back-to-the-sewers' segments of this were kino. That uneasiness while still being very calm between relocating between two urban gorilla warfare settings. A slower section that isn't walking simulation.
How has no game since then understood pacing as hl2 did?

Shit, that's fucking cool. The whole xen/ ayy lmao psychedelic aspect of half life was always the best. Shame we'll never get more of it.

Attached: ep3_xen6.jpg (1067x1600, 353K)

The point in HL2 when voritgaunts become your bros.

>US Marines wearing US Army Airborne berets and regularly referring to each other as "soldiers"

Makes me chuckle every time.

Attached: HECU irl.jpg (906x576, 250K)

Opposing force was the best part of half life. It needs a remake.

The true star of Half-Life is Black Mesa

Attached: 70_screenshots_20190415142613_1.jpg (1600x900, 293K)

Do the black Mesa madmen intent on porting opposing force and blue shift?

I just like the trains

Attached: 045 Razortrain_s.jpg (1000x1529, 1.33M)

Crack Life: Campaign Mode is the best mod of all time. You can't prove me wrong faggot nigger.

I remember tripwire were doing a remake of opposing force, they had a bunch of screenshots and videos so it was in production but I haven't heard about it in years so it's probably canned.

ASS

Attached: FREEMAN.png (400x471, 73K)

I hate that 2 exists and goofed up the whole story and added shit that won't ever be fleshed out further. Half life is much better off with only the first just like the matrix.

I just pretend that 2 never happened and that the timeline goes:

Half-Life/Blue Shift -> Op4 -> Poke646 1 and 2

The idea of Earth merging with Xen and everyone having to learn to deal with it is more interesting to me than HL2's East Germany but w/ aliens

The keep off the sand achievement was really fun in Half Life 2. All of the weirder achievements were fun.

Which dimension are you from?

What I like about Xen is that it isn't hellish or gross. It's actually kind of a nice place in a weird way.

East Germany mostly still structurally intact with some enemies that die to regular gunfire but somehow all of earth just gave up after a literal few hours kek

ipfs.io/ipfs/QmPb8jaf8EGzdNFm43ahjtH9ws6fwJXpheZj4tvccGz7HW
Self extracting RAR5 archive, install xash3d.vpk and copy data folder to your Vita

Games included:
Half-Life
Blue Shift
Opposing Force

I still really like the opening bit where you're walking through the city and everyone's low key depressed and furtive and Breen's on the big television trying to assure everyone things are going to be just fine when it's obvious they're not.

It's the best storytelling in the game period.

The opening is amazing but it eventually just devolves down to standing around listening to people talk.

Yeah, always hated that.

Valve's solution to games relying on cutscenes to tell their story (something I remember reading an article about where they complained about its prevalence) being to have in-game, in-engine story scenes you can't meaningfully interact with or skip was an amazingly brain dead decision.

Virus?!
3 Games 431mb .exe?

episode 2 best
ravenholm best

youtube.com/watch?v=_DAguj9uUq8

finally a proper half-life thread all we have is hl2 vs 1 these days who gives a fuck

Attached: 1457653236.jpg (735x678, 263K)

You are retarded my friend, this is SELF-EXTRACTING RAR5 ARCHIVE, i presumed that not every one of us have latest winrar

40% compression rate thanks to this

Attached: firefox_2019-08-02_15-55-39.png (1819x802, 227K)

EPIC

It was alright on the first playthrough because they gave you lots of things to look at and interact with during those sections and I would just marvel at the technology back in 2004. It really hasn't aged well in that regard.

Gotcha, Ivan

Even back then it was a little weird. Like yeah, you can break away from Kleiner and Alyx to look around the laboratory, but human nature would be to pay attention to the people explaining the plot, who talk like you're among them.

If you're exploring the lab during your first run, during their conversation, you're probably the type of person to skip that sorta scene anyway, and if you paid attention the first time then, okay, rewarded on a replay I guess with fun things to look at, but either way on all subsequent playthroughs it's a weird thing you need to wait on.

Speaking off plot, I was displeased by how much of HL2's plot was so incidental. Most of the game is you getting interrupted on your way to go somewhere else and things just spiral out of control until there's a war in the city and you've blown up the Citadel. Not that a good game necessarily needs a solid plot but it's very structureless and thin for a game that otherwise puts a lot of little effort into worldbuilding.

Past the opening I think the priest in Ravenholm is the closest they get to actually good storytelling again since he doesn't slow down the game but does stuff to aid you directly. Probably part of why so many people like him, on top of being a hoot.

don't use OpenGL render mode, use software instead

Natural Selection and Science & Industry.

i like the water sections with the fish in half life 1
why dont games have the sections with the water monster anymore?
always made it exciting and terrifying to me because i fucking hate that shit

because exactly that, people hate underwater shit

i personally think its just because people dont wanna code an entire new AI for underwater enemies just to use it in 1 section

At least we got to enjoy the games that valve made for us

Attached: images.jpg (225x225, 7K)

Fine by me, just give us L4D3

I tried playing 1 and got to the point where you're standing on a lift for 5 minutes while you're being pelted with crabs before calling it quits. Also aim assist is gay.

>Science & Industry

my man

Attached: 1503946806950.png (850x800, 611K)

I

Attached: WIP starship hub area.jpg (1280x1024, 201K)

Attached: 20160415021809_1.jpg (1280x1024, 117K)

Goldsrc/source and id tech 3 are my favorite game engines period

Attached: vr6.jpg (1280x960, 196K)

Looks dope. I've dabbled with Hammer so much over the years but I've never managed to stick with a project long enough to finish it

Attached: vr14.jpg (1280x960, 260K)

SMOD gets mentioned less and less as time goes on. Glad someone's carrying the torch.

Attached: Gordon sleep.png (1599x903, 2.94M)

Attached: WIP - starship subdecks (4).jpg (1280x1024, 138K)

Opposing force is the man of tastes choice

the campaign has some problems but the multiplayer is godlike

Opposing Force is the brainlet's choice.
WOWIE, you get to play as a soldier and there's some new guns so it's the bestest! Nevermind that the levels are decidedly mediocre compared to the base game, and the entire first third is full of start & stop pacing while being generally uneventful. Nevermind that there's hardly any notable setpieces, and most are recycled from the original game in some manner. You have to go around turning on machinery to kill a giant tentacle monster to progress? HOW INSPIRED! Oh how about this; you suddenly end up in water with a nasty alien shark, now that's original!

Gearbox are and always have been hacks.

I don't think the series is that great. But the end of HL2 where you have the super gravity gun makes it completely worth it. Might be the most fun level in any shooter.

I really love the section in HL2 where you have to drive the boat and get out to open gates/solve puzzles and then you get that helicopter chase scene. So damn good.

>i presumed that not every one of us have latest winrar
who the fuck uses Winrar in 2010s?
7zip has been the FREE standard for ages.
Last time I used .EXE zip files was with Windows 95.

Excuse me while I post the best FPS game since FEAR, *AND* the best horror game of the 2010s.

Attached: 2013-09-10_00003.jpg (1920x1200, 614K)

combine destiny? Nightmare house?

chapter 2 never ever

Based

Thank fuck someone said it. OpFor is overrated by people who don't critically think about video games. It's good; I wouldn't go as far as to put it near the word "hack", but it's nowhere near Half-Life's level. Absolutely nowhere.

nay.

Attached: 2013-09-19_00052.jpg (1920x1200, 383K)

He's talking about Underhell. I'm surprised someone else remembers Combine Destiny. Nice. Did the sequel ever come out?

It's that game where the mod dev made the game into multiple chapters? the new one uses ue4 with hl2 assets

Dude, The Specialists was my fucking JAM

>cold coffee
>mister kiiiing offfff the roooooad

Surface Tension is a borderline Top 10 Video Game Moment of all time and I just played it for the first time last November. That was fucking INTENSE!

>game
used to be hl2 but after replaying them now that im older id say hl1 and its expansions
>moment
Vortal Coil is still cool or Surface Tension
>character
Barney I guess
>gun
Spas12

>It's that game where the mod dev made the game into multiple chapters?
maybe.

>the new one uses ue4 with hl2 assets
wait what?

Attached: UH - working broken mirrors!.jpg (1920x1200, 353K)

combine destiny 2 is dead, also i hate that opposing forces 2 is also dead it had a good potential

Blue shift is kino. The ending scene where you're prepping the car for escape feels like an actual conclusion.

Admittedly the new weapons are pretty fucking neato at least

i think it was underhell or something else that was also released on steam after a year or something being on moddb but i don't remember anything really about sourcemods anymore

Everyone and their mother complained about Xen, but I always thought that Residue Processing was the worst level in HL1

People still play it, but they're mostly veterans who've been playing 5-10 years and you'll get schooled.
>CD2 is dead
Fuck.
>OpFor 2 is also dead
Operation Black Mesa? That's alive and well.
youtube.com/watch?v=q6fN1TiqcXs

I felt On A Rail dragged on longer than it should have, so at least Residue Processing is short and tidy.
Honestly, Questionable Ethics doesn't get enough love. I always enjoy that part.

I like all the HL saga but there's something about the atmosphere of the old Black Mesa games that the new games just can't capture

I'm still waiting for that multiplayer beta from 2016 for operation black mesa, i really doubt it will release anytime before 2027 along with guard duty

>guard duty

Who actually demanded for a remake of Blue Shift?

Fucking no one, and I hate that the OBM team is splitting themselves like that. If both projects fall apart, I guarantee it was because of Guard Duty.

Nobody really but operation black mesa and duty dev teams merged into one "studio" around 2015/4

7zip has ugly unintuitive interface and why the fuck would i install more than one compression tool?

youtube.com/watch?v=0MyenR1eqng

Attached: 1542695342566.jpg (900x673, 400K)

The long days/nights playing sourcemods.

Counterstrike
Team Fortress Classic
Hunted
Firearms
Science and Industry
Sven Coop
Earths Special Forces
Pirates Vikings and Knights

I still can't hear the sounds of running on different materials or ambience in the background without feeling nostalgic.

Kelly Bailey is right up there with Marty O'Donnell.
>screenshot
It's always interesting to see the shortcuts devs take for optimization. Behind the hangar should be the railroad where Gordon emerged from Ravenholm.

Attached: 57d9a5b33be9b.jpg (1600x900, 190K)

Zoom zoom

>that twitter account
what was that? Was Laidlaw going insane from boredom?

Trigger warning that shit, man. Jesus.

Attached: 20160415021725_1.jpg (1280x1024, 129K)

They got rid of func_vehicle so you cant drive cars anymore in csgo, which is one of the reasons nipper stopped making maps as much. I dont know what it is like now, but when I stopped playing, csgo only had jailbreak, zombie and surf maps for the most part, and older cs games were all russians or bots. All of his maps are still available on his site, but last I checked no one has a populated server. Truly a shame.

I like how out of all the protagonists, the lowly security guard was the only one that managed to escape from Black Mesa.

That is until Half-Life 2, when it turns out those previously nameless scientists were important to the plot.

definitely not UH.

Do you need to watch Vsauce to understand/enjoy it?

Attached: 1564676890999.png (1313x150, 18K)

It will launch as the flagship title for Valve's working-class priced VR, once they have the tech refined to that level of affordability

Ok retard

Black Mesa, Opposing Force, and Episode 2 are the better Half-Life games. For the others, the point of playing them comes more from their historical significance to vidya.

HL1 easily has to be waking up after the Resonance Cascade. That alarm is burned into my brain by now.

HL2? Possibly everything from Ravenholm onwards. It's amazing how every chapter feels like it's own section, and yet they're well interconnected. But a favorite moment has to be Nova Prospekt, or easily, G-Man telling Alyx to deliver the message to Eli for him to "Prepare for Unforeseen Consequences".

Attached: 1560173824783.png (603x716, 114K)

03/30/3000 mark my words

You are like a little baby.

Attached: 1993_vs_1998.jpg (640x516, 112K)

fake news

Attached: Black Mesa Research Facility.jpg (3351x4768, 2.37M)

You can't win this.

Attached: your_mind_on_half_life.jpg (800x600, 22K)

0/10

That was my favorite thing. I found some custom knife only server running only nipper maps and it was fucking amazing. I mastered the knifestab headshot and dominated that for the longest time.

it's the same line on the left, seen from top

Little Rocket Man was wonderful.

You didn't prove them wrong hlcucks.

>Counter strike
Hmm Quake is too difficult. What if we...
>slow the game down
>nerf movement
>make the game team based
>make the game round based
>remove all the pickups
>allow players to buy the weapons
>remove projectile weapons
>make TTK so short that anyone can frag if given enough luck
POPULAR GAME!

And then the cycle always continued from card games to battle royales. In an attempt of trying to invent a product that as many people as possible can consume.

Twenty years of the series that turned skill based FPS games into crouch+shoot hitscan weapons with le epic headshots. The fortnite of its time.

CSbabies still can't refute this.
Your game was always hated.

Attached: 1564620999662.png (3406x1672, 2.14M)

@472660132
imagine being this mad

@472660921
imagine being this casual

not exactly but it helps. It's still an odd and surreal experience without watching it

I actually use both because of some mods that i'll download for something like Half-Life or Skyrim/Oblivion will have zipped up a file that only it can extract.

I'll repeat question.
Also wanna say, one of best mods for either game is Heart of Evil. Really fun and interesting mod, mix of Resident Evil and Apocalypse Now. Just make sure that you play normal, not "remodded" version which was made by some ironic memeshitters. That said, Source port is pretty good, if only because you need to interact with Barney alot, and pathfinding is much better and fluid in source.

This is someones fetish probably.

Not what user, but OpFor2 was a different Half-life 2 mod that was pretty much a 'sequal' to Opposing force.

Attached: Black Mesa - Complete Rectal Devastation.webm (1280x720, 2.9M)

Ah, thanks. Should have updated first, ask later.

Opposing Force > HL1 > HL2

What's the best way to play They Hunger and Smod Redux with all the weapon packs these days?

reminder that ttlg posters hated your game.

My dad picks up gabens droppings off the sidewalk and he says half life 3 is coming out at the beginning of September. it's a secret

The old hl1 demo disc. I remember getting it from my dad who got it from work. It was like from a graphics card I think. IIRC it was only up until We've Got Hostiles but I used to play that thing non-stop

Hunt down the Freeman.

BASED
ttlg.com/forums/showthread.php?t=117548&page=2

Not suprising that "immersive sim" autist would hate half life.

dilate ss2, thief and deus ex are better games.

quite simply, HL1, or OpenAG. HLDM is unparalleled to this day. Was always better than Quake, and is better than every clone.

Attached: hentaifingering6.gif (240x160, 889K)

it was just Laidlaw's way of explaining to the community what HL2EP3 was gonna be. I suppose he got tired of all the speculation

>fucked controls
>useless stats
>shitty plot twists
>sloggy gameplay
Ttlg games are fucking jokes.

pleb.

stick to valve or id garbage, casual.

>stick to fun games
Oh I will.

>only plays singleplayer games
>calls other people casual
Good job beating that computer that was literally programmed to be beaten, jerkass.

>twf when you are smart enough to enjoy lgs games.

twitter.com/breengrub

please respond

Next you will say cs takes skill.

Who said anything about CS dude? Embarrassing. Go enjoy your single player experiences bro, you're such a hardcore gamer for killing braindead AI.

I love the original 3, Half-Life, Opposing Force, and Blue Shift
Nothing beats installing the original WON releases and playing in 640x480 with the software renderer

I dont know but here is your response :)

Attached: 1488236985006.jpg (500x800, 410K)

based Schizo

CSbabies and hltrannies still can't prove me wrong.

is there a way to enable ripple water effect in opengl mode?

>escort Barney through a bunch of traps and bullshit
What the fuck was he thinking

Attached: 1024-hazardous-course-03.jpg (1024x576, 119K)

You never claimed anything. Want to duel anyway though?

Even portal got btfo

honestly this, and the fact the white colored "Spec ops" soldiers were just the michellen tire man with a big eye

>that sudden sense of scale
>those crumbling ledges
>finally taking down the chopper

Attached: Half-Life-small-443[1].jpg (640x400, 29K)

Whole TFC experience, Sven Coop autism, Ravenholm, fy_snow & cs_assault, HL2 + episodes overall feel. Those were the times, user...

Attached: De_aztec.jpg (800x600, 83K)

OH NO NO NO NO NO
ttlg.com/forums/showthread.php?t=35416

LOOKS LIKE VIDYA KINO IS BACK ON THE MENU BOYS

Does anyone want to play OpenAG?

Attached: dailyreminder.jpg (1016x1280, 163K)

>randomly pick out HL1 in the store as a small kid because I see some soldiers on the back
>install it
>wtf is this is some scientist simulator?
>mfw experiecing the whole game as a 7 year old

Attached: 1467745526289.gif (388x218, 2.19M)

>TFC
Playing TFC with Yea Forums last time was pretty fun.

Don't know, I only play in software mode

>casual strike
see

>fy_snow & cs_assault
my absolute nigger

Attached: 1506459522414.jpg (600x678, 44K)

kys csbaby.

Well, that is why I prefer TFC any time. But CS had its moments too.

Oh shit, another quake user? You should add me up for some duels, I got no work today.

The thing that stands out to me most about the series is G-Man and the mystery surrounding him.
When he stops time and addresses you directly in Episode 2 is one of the best scenes and VA performances in vidya.
youtube.com/watch?v=ylyCY9srJGw

Attached: Gman.jpg (900x720, 237K)

i was that faggot who turned the barrels of the cannons so that you couldn't use the towers to get into the bunker

The Antlion Defense from HLE2's Vortal Coil chapter and Ravenholm.

no u

Attached: 1554816129710.jpg (9999x9999, 2.62M)

When are these lard gargling, cheese drinking fat fucks going to release this mod
>October 1, 2015. Missing Information gets greenlit for a Steam release. Our work begins on preparing Missing Information for a release on Steam.
>January 13, 2019. Almost four years have passed and we are (finally) close to our initial milestone. Missing Information’s Steam store page is live on the Steam Storefront. At the time of writing however, it is not clear when the exact release will be, but our aim is before April 1, 2019.
>August 2, 2019. Still not out yet and silence from the devs

Attached: header.jpg (460x215, 23K)

h-ha ha y-yeah s-sure I'll get right on that... because I play lots of quake and I am a quake pro... heh... lots of quake.. that i play a lot. I love arena fps...

Attached: 1563051642408.png (539x223, 27K)

keep denying cs was hated, zoomers.

good man - always block ladders for scrubs.
Won't stop tau-chads from jumping high enough to avoid the air strike damage

>after Xen in HL1
>before HL2
Sounds like Adrian might have more adventures to be told.

Don't shitpost for other people please.
If anyone wants to play Quake (any vers) or HLDM or any other random AFPS add me up, I play most days even days I have work. Mostly been playing QW lately so big bonus points if you are down to duel in that.
steamcommunity.com/id/xbeelzebub/

youtube.com/watch?v=6Iu4GXUHfU0
youtube.com/watch?v=SUecnaevAEo

smod is the only way to play half life as far as I'm concerned.

The fact that you can make a gargantua explode by throwing a dozen snarks at it.

Attached: snark.jpg (474x355, 29K)

>the boring tech demo that was half life 2
>HL2 was only good in ravenholm
ravenholm is literally the tech demo level though

play system shock and thief zoomers.
Better games that movie life took the credit.

Kek, I remember my father hating on CS hard, saying it's a slow, retarded, camping-based bullshit for retards. He played TFC hardcore, even managed to destroy three keyboards during clanwars, and back in the days, keyboards were pretty durable. CS mods, especially gungame, can be quite fun though. But once you played 2fort with max players, the carnage and chaos is just something else...

No one ever adds me to play in these threads. Fucking zoomer faggots.

youtu.be/zPiAK_RP8dU

Did this ever get finished and posted somewhere? I remember user posted a wip for it in one of these threads probably years ago now.

zoomies will deny this.

Attached: joijo.png (1324x162, 67K)

Wanna play Quake with me or just shitpost about games you don't play because you suck at CS?

stay mad casual.

>Welcome to the Black Mesa research facility
>topside temperature is...

Attached: download.jpg (225x225, 6K)

PLAY SYSTEM SHOCK ZOOMIES.

>this automated train is headed to "Sector C testlabs"

would rather play static shock desu

Yeah, the only person who actually plays quake in this thread is the casual. Stay insecure about your FPS skill, bro.

>in the event of an emergency, ignore it and it will pass

Make me, insect

reddit.com/r/HalfLife/comments/6p12oh/overrated_franchise/
doomworld.com/forum/topic/35130-which-game-is-by-far-most-overrated/?page=3
hl ripped off cybermage.

>no texture filtering
>overbright

soul

>The Advisor fights in Episode Three just weren't as good.

Attached: IMG_20190715_184237.jpg (812x1011, 79K)

>unironically linking reddit
go back

>he's posting reddit links now
Why don't you go back.

BASED BASED BASED BASED

Attached: sfew3.png (1329x419, 49K)

Thoughts on Half Life Echoes mod? It's pretty good

Attached: 20180720151747_1.jpg (1920x1080, 432K)

imagine thinking hl was more influential than thief or system shock.

Comparing HL to Unreal 1 though, both engines were versatile but Half-Life's scripting system is more robust.

The skarj and human AI was more effective, functioning like actual players, but not necessarily better. That guy's argument doesn't hold because there's never any player - NPC or NPC - NPC interaction in Unreal. The engine could support, but support for it wasn't offered out of the box whereas Goldsrc supported it from the beginning in a major way.

Infinitely better multiplayer. All 90s games have shitty braindead retard AI.

fucking love these videos - seeing the cascade warning logs / no signal from freeman's feed and barney getting stuck in an elevator altogether gives me goosebumps. JJA should just release Mist 2.0 ASAP and rake up some buzz around the title - maybe then lazy fucks will get back to developing wholesome salt&pepper games

Attached: 20190730230811_1.jpg (1920x1080, 402K)

imagine consistently getting upset over people enjoying video games you don't care for and going on autismal shitposting sprees as a result

oh wait I guess you don't have to imagine any of that

>Half-Life: Echoes
Greeble Extreme

I really need to try that map set out one day. It looks really good.

Here you go if you don't want to go to reddit.
wcnews.com/chatzone/threads/half-life-the-most-overrated-game-series-of-all-time.28195/

Unreal's Skaarj AI specifically, and Unreal Tournament's bot AI, were both extremely competent on the higher difficulty settings.
Nevermind the smoke and mirrors, they were effective routines.

People will cite the AI in FEAR and modded STALKER AI in more modern times, but to this day I don't think any video game AI surpasses the bot AI featured in Unreal Tournament 2004.

The bot AI featured in UT2k4 walk around like they're lost and have shit aim and no clue what guns are actually good. Any average player will have 0 difficulty fucking creaming the bots on the highest setting.

I don't know how people get through life trying this hard to trash what other people like. Just relax, have a soda.

Attached: 1fg576q.jpg (623x654, 41K)

It's autism

I would say it's a troll, but he's been at it for over a year, so it has to be genuine autism.

lmao these old games suck
*dabs*

refute it

Half-Life has the best multiplayer of any game released in the past 23 years. How is that being overrated? It deserves every positive rate it gets.

Attached: hoh.png (888x348, 39K)

>to this day I don't think any video game AI surpasses the bot AI featured in Unreal Tournament 2004.
How big a team can they coordinate? You know, setting up fire support positions to cover scouts or to create bottlenecks? I've seen FEAR AI setting up impenetrable defenses based purely on level geometry.

FEAR AI is a bunch of smoke and mirrors held together by scripting. Not that it doesn't end up being impressive from a player point of view, but the AI isn't actually super advanced, and it is an important distinction to make.

I never said they were perfect, just that they're still the best of what's available, in scope and versatility.

They do navigate like bots, like ants or bees, which is what that one computer science team at UT set out to fix with their UT^2 bot system that beat the Turing test. But nearly all the strategies employed in the game are available to the bots.

I don't know how you play the game but I honestly can't cheese them when I boost their stats on Inhuman and Godlike matches. and on teamplay modes like Onslaught, they're fucking retarded with vehicles, but can still link boost and repair and group up into fire teams to assault nodes.

They don't understand higher-order strategy, I don't believe any AI to date can support that.

Attached: hkhk.png (846x98, 10K)

System Shock 2 might be a little bit comparable to Half-Life despite lacking a multiplayer mode, but in terms of gameplay and mechanics SS1 is honestly dated compared to HL1.

But they're sophisticated in that their framework can generally work with most custom gametypes without a lot of overhead.

Well I've only seen them do that thing once so I assumed it was emergent instead of scripted. In the hospital level in Extraction Point. They covered each other retreating into a room with bulletproof windows and only one door. Two took positions in the back to shoot over two guys in the front who were throwing nades through the door if the guys standing saw the player through the bulletproof glass approach the door. The ones in the back would cover the guys in the front when they were reloading and vice versa.

This guys site is down now I guess so I had to find an archive, but you'll probably enjoy reading this.
web.archive.org/web/20180202123909/http://aigamedev.com/open/review/fear-ai/

Poison headcrabs never are together with another enemies aside mods or if you are rushing through area.

rip thread

see

I still think HL1 had the best atmosphere. The rising tension and growing sense that shit hasn't stopped hitting the fan and is only flying at it faster is really fucking great. HL2 was fun as well, but I think it had too many lulls, though invading Nova Prospekt with the antlions was cool.

>I still think HL1 had the best atmosphere.
Best weapons, too. And best movement.

thief has better storytelling zoomers will never understand this.

>implying deus ex isn't a far superior narrative

Should i buy/pirate black mesa or should i play hl1 first?
Most troops in hl2 are converted natives because they are cheaper.

well, black mesa isn't finished yet, so play HL1. it still holds up decently and will allow you to appreciate the work that went into BM.

>cares about story in games
>calls other people zoomers
okay

It's a really good mod but time & microsoft were not kind to it

sorry guys...
youtube.com/watch?v=7pg-JQyrPLw

Attached: THcskV8.jpg (750x600, 51K)

Get out of here, false flagging fake thief fag

I remember those threads, they were cool. That was years ago now holy shit. Maybe the guy died or something. Is this from the same map pack?

Attached: 20160415211713_1.jpg (1280x1024, 146K)

Adrian Shephard

Attached: Adrian Shephard schrödinger's cat.jpg (726x1024, 199K)

Are we ever going to get a good half-life 2 beta mod that recreates the storyline fully or at least close to it?
The only one I can think of is Dark Interval, but the devs of that already stated that it isnt going to be the entirety of the beta but a shortened version of it.
If S.T.A.L.K.E.R. can have 50 mods bringing back the beta storyline, why cant half-life 2?

Attached: Breencast_c17_04.jpg (750x526, 578K)

>Discovering Sven Co-op on a cyber cafe
>"Wow, look, brother, half life campaign with multiplayer"
>He says cool and goed back to play Wc3 DotA map
>join the freaksnand start killing vortigaunts with them in Office Complex
>Ideal number of players: 5
>Group stays together to kill all the aliens and waits the respawn if somebody dies
>That guy obsessed with saving all the scientists
Sven coop was comfy as fuck

Imagine if we had the half-life 2 beta delivered to us like the Stalker builds...
god...
im hard

Comfy City 17
youtube.com/watch?v=W-LMXP5sQTk

>the g-man is never going to be explained
GODDAMN IT WHAT IS HE REALLY, WHO ARE HIS EMPLOYERS, AND WHAT'S HIS RELATIONSHIP TO THE COMBINE JUST FUCKING TELL ME ALREADY

Half-Life 2 was a crock of shit prior to 2003. Drab levels with little going on, hardly any setpieces, no enemy variety, no gravity gun, yadda yadda. But the concept art looked cool and the ideas sounded neat so the beta must've been better than what we got!

youtube.com/watch?v=fL_PuaDcaO4

im not saying that the beta was better or worse
its just that it is extremely interesting and i would like it recreated

plus i like the goldsrc aesthetic

thief and deus ex have better storytelling.

tvtropes.org/pmwiki/posts.php?discussion=13014203120A87914500&page=1
cope.

there's been like a billion different beta recreation mods and I doubt any of them are ever getting finished

>tfw the new xen chapters suck cock according to tyler
and thats a good thing, original xen was god tier, and only idiots hate it

>join thread
>ctrf + f "see>>"
>two results

Early 2001 HL2 is aesthetic as fuck
youtube.com/watch?v=3aRzzfJ-9fk

>hurr i posted a tvtropes thread filled with opinions so that means i'm right
i agree with some of their criticisms but i'm not going to type a 10 page dissertation into a thread that's going to die soon

goldsrc is cancer and you should kill yourself if you think it's better than source.

blue shift

so you admit hl storytelling is bad and inferior to thief and deus ex?

Air Exchange looked pretty cool but everything else is gray and BORING

youtu.be/dzMq5_thk4o

Source has a completely dogshit work flow and it's absolute torture to do the simplest tasks in a reasonable timeframe without outside scripts and tools.
Goldsrc is comfiest

half-life and deus ex are definitley top5 for me, but it's apples and oranges. deus ex sets out to tell a cerebral story at the forefront, while half-life is a disaster game that does a good job of subtly showing the conditions getting worse and more desperate. the set pieces are great and watching the clusterfuck devolve over the span of a few days helps drive you forward and keep the tension up. little things like the military coming in all gung-ho and then by the end of the game running away with their tails between their legs and going with a "FUCK IT JUST BOMB IT ALL IT'S FUCKED M8" attitude helps convey how fucked up everything is.

>no enemy variety
Had some pretty interesting synth enemies most of which were scrapped for bipeds

GOTY 2013

Attached: 2013-09-26_00014.jpg (1920x1200, 401K)

mods

half life 2 mods in particular

that era of source is very nostalgic for me.

a lot of people thought hl was mediocre compared to thief, deus ex, system shock , ultima, quake, doom, duke, wing commander.

play quake with me right now or stfu schizo

chapter 2 never ever friend
the crew working on insurgency so there's no hope

all of these games have strengths and weaknesses, dunno why brainlets seem to only process games on some autistic hierarchy when they should just recognise that all those games were top of the line

Why is it that when Half-Life is mentioned every faggot ever comes out of the woodwork and says that X, Y and Z thought B and A about it in whatever

rpgcodex, ttlg, doomworld, wcnews.
I can link more websites showing how mediocre and not innovative hl was if you want.

Its just one butthurt autist mad about half life being talked about.

>someone says it was overrated
>THAT MEANS IT'S OVERRATED AND YOU'RE NOT ALLOWED TO LIKE IT
>listen to me
>look at these forum threads
>AGGGH PAY ATTENTION TO MY OPINION

Yeah. I was hoping mxthe would somehow continue the development after Sandstorm would come out. Maybe he is working on something. I wouldn't mind paying for it.
Last 15 minutes of Chapter 1 were one hell of a ride, he can't just leave it hanging.

Attached: 2013-09-27_00005.jpg (1920x1200, 359K)

The Trap

tell me how hl was innovative. prove me why it didn't kill fps.

a full recreation of hl2 beta on the leaked engine

U mad bro?

Opposing Force 2 using HL2 beta aesthetic.

m8 you apparently don't even know how to use the quote feature, why the fuck should i argue with you? i think the fact that there's a nearly 500 post thread on the most jaded website on earth looking back fondly on game proves there's something positive to be said about it

There are like 10 of such projects.

>he can't just leave it hanging.

If Valve can do it then I'm pretty sure one guy doing it for free can

Episode 2 as a whole, Ravenholm, Follow Freeman, Residue Processing and the moments before going to Xen. Black Mesa Source is also pretty great.

Beta stuff is kinda cool, too bad there's no proper recreation mod yet.

not really
The only one i can think off the top of my head is Dark interval and Insolence
But the first is an extremely lenghty process that is beta remade on ep2 engine and insolence is under development for the last 5 years

also how can we forget the meme masterpiece that is hl2 beta minimalist mod

Who is the censored X guy? Isnt Gman on the corner?

>Had some pretty interesting synth enemies

There was a floating mortar thing and a big walking crab mech that got recycled into the antlion guard, that's it. Neither are even really featured in the leaked maps.

because zoomers like you forgot how hated hl was back then.

forgot the pic

Attached: a.png (250x209, 95K)

its obviously breen

gl_texturemode gl_nearest_mipmap_linear
gl_rounddown 0

Attached: 2018_1.jpg (1920x1080, 258K)

Attached: dhfdh.png (1033x426, 85K)

What a retard

>how hated hl was back then.
really? the high sales, vibrant mod community, and praise from within the game development community sure tells me otherwise.

see

so basically your entire argument is
>see, these people agree with me
you seemingly haven't posted an actual argument of your own. and that guy doesn't even say he hates half-life, just that he thought it was a tad overrated.

Attached: u9u9.png (1047x230, 43K)

there was one particular that made the ride as smooth as it gets
translate.google.co.uk/translate?sl=auto&tl=en&u=https://hl2-beta.ru/index.php?action=downloads;sa=view;down=245
still waiting for hl2 goldsrc port

Attached: 20171231220311_1.jpg (1920x1055, 405K)

>still waiting for hl2 goldsrc port
moddb.com/mods/half-life-2-classic

gamespot.com/forums/games-discussion-1000000/whats-so-great-about-half-life-31509936/?page=2
yeah sure hl was "loved".

uh, it's not out yet (if ever)

>"it's just a safe favorite of the legions of people incapable of forming original opinions about things"
>can't form original opinions so have to rely on screenshots of some random people's opinions

Attached: 1564777015145.jpg (672x787, 133K)

At lease ravenholm is done

What happened in your life that made you do this shit for 2 fucking years, Did Gabe Newell kill your fucking family?

My favorite HL2 soundscape: GenericIndoor at 0:50
youtube.com/watch?v=nbVvZ8d1W1U

This buzz activates my nostalgia
it's very nice.

shit, there was a tfc party Yea Forumsan? Fuck I missed it

Real gamers don't gush over hl.

Yea, I really want to get a Fortress Forever game going at somepoint. I'm not sure if I would host though

Pretty sad you faggots couldn't prove why hl is not overrated.

All these mods and engine ports, you'd think Valve would pull their collective fingers out of their fucking asshole.
Remember the 20th anniversary of Half-Life last November? Valve didn't. There wasn't a single word about it, because it would remind their customers of how much they don't give a fiddler's fuck.

valve's corporate structure and the fact that most people interested in developing hl3 have left the company means that nothing hl related is ever happening again. sad, but it was great while it lasted. valve is now the steam and DOTA2 company.

There can't be proof for a negative. Proving something true requires one piece of evidence, and on the inverse proving anything false requires infinite evidence.

imagine defending cinematic garbage.

imagine begging for (You)s in a thread about a video game you don't like

You couldn't defend cs too. Pathetic.

I don't give a shit about HL3 though; I lost interest after HL2 which had nothing to do with the first game. They could have said something about the game that made them, and the obscenely massive fanbase that put them where they are. All those mods, all the new games that sprang up as a result, all that money made and not a word. Not even a notepad .txt file.
Fucking cunts.

hl will never be one of the best pc games, especially when ss2, thief and deus ex exist.

that's fucking dumb

Also if you're using the steam version of HL1 opt into the beta. They finally fixed the bug with weird texture proportions in OpenGL mode.

System Shock 2 has stupid puzzles where your build has to be entirely specific towards it and you're fucked on advancement if you didn't game your build correctly.
Deus Ex is entirely imbalanced and most of the "you have choice in how you do it" options boil down to "do you want to take the vent or pick the lock"

Now that I've stated these opinions on the internet you must accept them apparently.

>inb4 it's just contrarians.
except almost no one hated popular games like doom or quake back.

Those bricks are tiny
Immersion ruined.

*back then.

Plenty of people shat on both games back in the day and still do today :)

wrong.

right.

prove it.

Attached: 00002.jpg (1280x1024, 324K)

hl is system shock for retards.

hostile intent mod

Care to tell me what do you find so hard to believe about the fact that Doom and Quake were not and never have been universally 100% beloved? Do you want me to go dig up some ancient message board posts of some grumpy dumpy whining about them being dumb shooters, since that's what you seem to think is objective quantifiable evidence of a game's quality?

there are more people that hate hl than doom and quake.

>hl is system shock for retards
That would be System Shock 2

Do you have a single fact to back that up?

Attached: half-life is a good video game.jpg (1782x158, 72K)

kys.

Black Mesa devs cannot into game balance.

Remember when the mod version first came out in 2012, and the HECU were almost impossible to fight because of their across-the-map aimbot? Gonarch is almost as bad as that was.

Commanding swarms of antlions was pretty comfy, though at first I though I would be able to command the guard only for it to hit me like a tank, good times

THE ABSOULTE STATE OF HL

Attached: dg3ewt.png (676x494, 42K)

TEN THREADS ON A FORUM
HALF-LIFE FAGS BTFO THE FUCK OUT
IT'S OVER

prove ttlg fans wrong

zero puntuaction, rpgcodex, ttlg, wcnews.
You can't recover after this.

I ALREADY WON HLNIGGERS YOU WILL NEVER ENJOY BLACK MESA NOW.

I mean fighting the gonarch is pretty easy. It's just that it slaps your fucking ass into the next dimension.
what they really need to do is lower amount of force at which it hurls you and then clean up the rest of the fight, which they have already said has a lot of ironing out needed.

You have yet to present an argument of your own, you're just regurgitating someone else's opinions. I could write for days about the flaws of Deus Ex and why it's not perfect, but it's still one of my favorite games. In a vacuum, though, if I pointed out that the AI is horrendous, the skills and augs unbalanced, stealth laughably overpowered, piss-poor graphics even for 2001 standards, and the fact that the alternate paths all just cover up the game's linearity, it would look like it was a bad game.

>posting from a parallel universe
>also has shit taste and picks the absolute worst moment
No offense but I hope I never intersect with your reality again user.

SCHIZO SCHIZO SCHIZO SCHIZO
LEAVE HL ALONE.

Attached: sfd.jpg (233x217, 9K)

feels good to make the last post and btfo hlcucks forever.

see deus ex is shit

SEETHE HARDER HLFAG.

>comes into a thread and stirs shit up
>calls others seething
:^)