Fool me once.... This thing was hyped to the death at the time and I fell for it

Fool me once.... This thing was hyped to the death at the time and I fell for it.

Attached: 41QWKW3NNAL.jpg (353x500, 25K)

Other urls found in this thread:

youtube.com/watch?v=IR9NnGcB094
drive.google.com/file/d/0B8owK7WpBz7WN1AtMDhybDJHcFE/view
twitter.com/NSFWRedditImage

you might call me a zoomer but I still feel you

Attached: spore-cover.jpg (640x898, 441K)

Pretty much any Molyneux game.

>Saw this on a Cinematech six years before it came out
>"Release Date: TBD"
>Reserve it immediately
>Had to watch over the course of SIX YEARS as they picked it apart
>A shell of what it could have been
>Still picked it up
>Played it a few times
>Gave up after the third playthrough to space stage

SIX YEARS

Attached: 1494639716364.jpg (963x786, 391K)

REMASTER FUCKING WHEN?

Attached: 1414188998880.gif (320x240, 1.85M)

First Island was amazing. Second was still pretty good, stealing all resourves from the other friendly god was pretty cool. Everything after that sucked balls.

Reading about it in fucking 2003...with all kind of bogus claims and promises.

Attached: 861398606_ML.jpg (270x270, 16K)

I got stucked at one point in the middle of the game where I couldn't do anything...and my previous good save was like 7 hours ago so I quitted it.

Wasn't there a part on the third island where you had to throw a bunch of burning rocks into other villages until they believed in you? It took forever and was like 0 fun lol
I think I stopped there.

Yes !

I was lucky enough to hear about it some months before release, maybe a year, but being a retarded kid I thought it was gonna be just like the 2006 demo. Water phase still hurts.

>There will never be a remake
>There will never be a VR remake

Attached: 2123413535.jpg (945x719, 103K)

and why the fuck did they have to go with the cartoony aesthetic instead of the previous one, it was kinda eerie in some way

all molymeme games were like that
the AI in B&W1 was phenomenally good, though. i've still never seen anything like it, not even close.

hey man it wasn't that awful. it had a unique aesthetic.

Attached: hrothgar.png (1490x911, 2.02M)

PLAY UNIVERSIM

what did the previous one look like? it's been so long.

I guess it just was the color palette (and blood animations), but idk, its just like gen 1 pokemon are more weird than cute compared to later generations haha white monster sip amirght

Attached: sporeonland.jpg (600x450, 273K)

The green ring you see is the extent of your influence

i also love the greenish look on the older menus

Attached: spore03 (1).jpg (507x357, 30K)

Explain.

What kind of runs did you guys do?
If you take a large amount of time to train your creature, you can get it to understand quite a lot.

about the AI?
it had this adaptive learning algorithm that applied to virtually everything you could think of. it had positive and negative feedback states and those also fed into its behaviour, and it could independently weigh different variables against one another in its decision-making (so for example if you only gave the pet 100% praise all the time, it would blur its ability to discern between relative favourable outcomes). you could even train it to act at certain thresholds (so for example it would only sleep at 7pm)
the only reason all this went unnoticed is because a) it appeared in black and white and b) it was made gamey and gave the player a lot of artificial leg-ups so that they wouldn't get angry at their creature for not learning fast enough

My creature was kidnapped or sick I don't remember but I have only the choice to throw rocks.

People unfortunately lack the patient to actually teach their creature, they just want to finish the game as quickly as possible. If you'll notice by observing your creatures status in its creature cave, it ages rather slowly compared to your playtime. If you were to treat it like a real being, you spend a good amount of your time in the being teaching it the most important lessons of "right and wrong" or if you are more benevolent, letting it choose for itself, only stopping it in things that itself should not choose. As you say its AI is incredibly deep. Deeper than any other AI in any other game I've seen. If they developed an AI even 2x as complex as the AI in black and white, and gave the player a similar level of god-like influence/decision making, I would easily pour 1000 hours into it and at least 100 dollars.

Microtransactions and the like are an absolute ball-breaking deal breaker though and would make me boycott the game.

Attached: 1564621022801.jpg (1024x1024, 122K)

hey thats my favorite game

every time i played i picked either the monkey or the cow creature and just abused the shit out of them the entire game. made it harder to beat sure but it was worth it. never once properly raised it

The island with lethys? If it is, he takes your creature and tortures it. It takes a while to get the first village since you cant directly influence it (except for throwing stones). The key is to bring a lot of villagers/resources with you and/or artifacts that villagers have worshipped to allow you to influence them faster. That or just building your village so big you can reach them.

whoops meant to reply to

It was fun for a bit and got tedious quickly

I wish there was a well executed version of the idea though

I don't mean to sound judgmental, but what was so appealing about beating your creature?

Attached: anime cat.jpg (640x640, 34K)

The execution was flawed at points but it was fresh and new, so it paid off to play the game. I'd rather have a game attempt something new and different and fail at it than get the 27th incarnation of a concept that hasn't changed at all. I don't want another FPS, we've played them since the early nineties.

Also, this song was bitchin:
youtube.com/watch?v=IR9NnGcB094

are you sure you're not reading too far into things that weren't there like pawn training in DD?

I used to just stay on the second or third island and build my infrastructure to the point that my influence ring covered the whole thing.
then i would just go into enemy territory and fuck with his shit.
beat up his creature (dont know why they let you do that) let all his worship totems to max and sacrifice his worshipers to his own alter, poison all the food, steal his resources etc
man i loved that game

Sounds like you got some real YHWY vibes going on.

I suppose I don't know everything, but considering some of the things my creature has done, I think a bit positively than most about its AI.

Also what is pawn training in DD?

Attached: THE RITUAL.png (726x960, 624K)

i dunno. ever since i was a kid i used to fantasize about torturing certain animals, usually monkeys or pigs. which is weird cuz irl i dont even kill mosquitos. and in b&w i loved the idea of just fucking ruining the mind and body of my stupid retarded monkey monster.
however i would never hurt the cat creature, not once did i punish that one for anything and he ended up just eating all my villagers and getting obese

drive.google.com/file/d/0B8owK7WpBz7WN1AtMDhybDJHcFE/view

I think y'all should check out this document.
Which creature do you think most represents humanity?

Attached: 1564669076474.jpg (260x327, 28K)

>what is pawn training in DD?
pawns have three inclinations and monster knowledge, pawn training is the belief that seperate of those you can teach a pawn to act a certain way in combat by your own actions like you spamming a specific skill makes the pawn do the same

the monkey of course, i considered it like a pure, innocent infant i got to personally corrupt via mindboggling torture, which is for some reason very gratifying to me. i also used to abuse the chaos in the sonic adventure games

creature isle expansion was turbo kino

Ah, Thank you.

i remember getting so fucking frustrated trying to beat that marble minigame. and of course everything else was made harder by having to use a traumatized, stunted creature.
like that turtle race

I tend to think the cow is the god that humans want, something highly compassionate and "good". The monkey is how humans see themselves, a creature that can become anything, but prized for its intelligence. I think the tiger is most like humans, born with a malevolence that nearly all beings share, and even some unique to humanity itself, furthermore, much dumber than it cares to realize.

Attached: Damp crash.gif (480x361, 414K)

>Find out I have an iso of B&W2 downloaded from years ago
>Tedious to get working but make it work
>Get to the first actual tutorial land where you have to build a Barracks and recruit an army
>Barracks don't spawn with flags, can't create an army, game stuck forever
I just want a comfy god game that works reeeeeeeeee

Creature island is excellent if you train your creature well beforehand.

Unfortunately I got very frustrated and cheated on some of the games as well, should have won fair and square. I really enjoyed the dice game against the ogre.

B&W2 is absolute trash and you should count yourself lucky it doesn't work. It shouldn't even share the same name as BW1

look at this fucker, he came out even more fucked up than my creature because my creature raised it
he was constantly trying to pick fights with his dad despite being a 5th his size because he was just full of such unfocused retard toddler wrath

Attached: tyke.jpg (751x650, 48K)

that game was more a war sim/city builder than a god game. and terribly imbalanced in the favor of moral/city building playthru

I gave my older bro my B&W CDs a few weeks back, can't play it now. B&W2 seemed fine at first with just some extra features, how bad did it get?

I didn’t even play PC games but the gaming magazines made it sound awesome. When I got it, it was shit and I couldn’t really even figure out how to do much.

low IQ people should stick to console bing bing wahoo games

So how come it didn't work in game? The game was full of promise, but is almost rigidly linear.

poor level designs, mostly.

They should unironically just take this game and remake a better version of it, it could be great

theres a glitch on the second or third island i forget which, involving that one npc who accuses you of being a bully. hes unkillable and when you throw him theres actually a tiny invisible ring of influence around him when hes ragdolling and for a short while after he gets up. so what you can basically do is just throw him across the map into to lethys's territory and mess with anything around him in a small proximity. and if you tried to sacrifice him to lethys's alter he would just get stuck in the middle of it without dying and the influence ring would persist and you could basically just destroy all of his stuff via damaging his temple.
yea, i played that game a lot.

It did, it just takes a long while for your creature to learn things complexy, rather than in big generalizations. Especially if you give a lot of reward and punishment for each action. If you give 100% praise for everything you like it to do, it will have a hard time understanding nuance.

Not a glitch. It's a fun little Easter egg.

really?
i remember that one convoluted one involving a telephone booth with a message from the developers
and that one quest with the mushroom rings that only worked if you had some gimmick mouse peripheral

indulge me, user. i was like 7 years old and didn't have the internet at the time. i never heard any of molyneux's hype

black and white 2 though? i witnessed the hypestorm. i distinctly remember him telling us that we could put villagers in catapults. the first thing i tried, and nope, you couldn't put villagers in catapults. that was my first brush with the videogame industry

Lmao. Cool story user.

That game was fantastic you stupid cuckfag. It deserves to be ported to every modern platform.

Fable is the only case where 1 > 2
You should've played the second one

Black & White is my top 5 all time favorite games, I have played the game so much, I discovered most of the bugs by myself without the help of GameFaqs

Black & White 2 crushed my hopes and dreams though

fuck you

Nostalgia fag.

I bought a Nintendo DS because of Black & White, until they fucking cancelled it.

All of my favorite games are dead.

can you list some of the bugs? and maybe other neat things you've discovered

I noticed at some point that rocks you chop up had their respective fragments stay heated and when thrown keep their momentum, so you could heat up a big rock by throwing a bunch of fireballs on it, and divide it into smaller heated fragments that would ignite any buildings that would come in contact with them. The game also had a time slowing/speeding up mechanic and by combining those 2 bits you could hurl rocks across tremendous distances. If you then slowed down time in mid air you could chop up those rocks into tiny little heated fragments while it was flying and basically just napalm the fuck out of villages across the map.

Attached: 066e78c384c726463f3cdc7e047699a8.jpg (1600x900, 251K)

>hundreds of villagers all in one place after the Japanese clan surrenders in Black & White 2
>absolutely obliterate them with a meteorite and lag my toaster PC as they all fly into the air

Attached: soichi.jpg (359x359, 48K)

What can it morph into?

Few bugs but I'll post my tricks as well

Repeatedly right clicking on food storage with food miracle or wood miracle will give you huge amounts of food or wood.

Build a village totem (5 scaffolds I think) far away from your land to establish a small circle of influence. The area of influence isn't visible but you can do whatever you want near there. This way, you can fuck with your enemies. Useful against Lethys and Nemesis

Always play White Christmas on Land 2 if you want your creature to grow big, leash it on your temple to encourage it sleeping on its pen.

Becoming good is hard as fuck because your creature does stupid shit sometimes, just leash it on the temple.

Explosion miracle is a useless spell. If you want to become a brutal murderer then all you have to do is keep casting fireball in one place on bunch of rocks until it's hot red, hover it on buildings and watch a village burn, sometimes your enemy will waste a shield miracle for this.

Have some villager dance on a rock, you have yourself an automatic belief generator

This and Fallout 3 basically killed off the excitement I use to feel over video game hype. Instead of joy, I feel fear whenever E3 comes around because I'm just waiting for that "game you loved as a kid is now receiving a crappy sequel/remake"

an even bigger piece of shit

yea those artifacts were a great way to take over other villages
i always kept a bunch of rocks near my totem for that purpose

Fool, you cannot critic a game by God

Attached: peter-moly.jpg (1280x720, 250K)