What makes maps like badwater, upward, or harvest so good?

What makes maps like badwater, upward, or harvest so good?

Attached: badwater.png (1680x1050, 2.38M)

Other urls found in this thread:

strawpoll.com/9bpgk8ph
youtube.com/watch?v=mlt6EXMGlN8
youtube.com/watch?v=Q16Kx9-Ys2s
youtu.be/yGs8nLgyQkQ
github.com/Hypnootize/Broesel-Hud
twitter.com/SFWRedditGifs

Good gamemodes. Attack/Defense and CTF is SHIT

Balanced map design where all classes can work on achieving goals.

i'm a hoodoo / barnblitz / badwater / frontier / upward guy

payload is the best for big dumb pub servers.

Attached: Lil-chewchew.png (637x757, 376K)

Attached: twist.webm (960x540, 2.82M)

Spent 300 hours doing almost nothing but c2f_fort and mario_kart back in the day, fight me

Attached: 20170830040127_1.jpg (1600x1024, 473K)

>WHO STOPPED PUSHING ZE CART? I VANT NAMES!

jesus christ this image is hurting my brain

Soul

why does this look so wrong

god it took me a solid 10 seconds to recognize that as badwater. has anyone made a flipped version?

i don't know but i played them so many times that i uncheck them

>not playing on mario_kartb3_v3 all day

holy fucjk what map

huge vertical space
maps are balanced
also you forgot mp_granary

WHY THE FUCK DOES EVERYONE FORGET ABOUT ARENA MODE

>Not spending your entire tf2 time in turbine
Is this why Im retarded? Why was turbine addicting

what the fuck I want to play this

turbine is fucking shit

>turbine

Attached: 1555814849516.gif (200x270, 1.09M)

da fuck

It's only mirrored, brah. Mirrored maps were pretty common.

I'm gonna hurl.

nothing feels better than breaking an hour long stalemate

All classes have a use in these maps.

My favorite map is cp_steel and i wish there were more maps like it.

Because it's not that compelling of a game mode. It's fun for a bit from time to time but no more.

It's an acquired taste but fun once you get used to it.

Better than fucking 2fort by a decent margin. As far as ctf goes, turbine and well are both well above 2fort.

Multi-CP (steel, gravelpit), push (5cp), and payload are the best game modes.

Pushing the cart and dodging incoming fire makes me feel alive
I'm a total shitter but if I go heavy and sit on the cart I can rack up kills and points and feel good about myself for a while

>the golden age of tf2 will never return
Doubt there's even any private servers with a meticulous configuration to revert all the garbage.

Anyone else fucking hates 2fort? Too cramped and falling in the water fucking sucks even as scout since you have to go all the way around to get up.

opposite day

>piss is better than shit
What an accomplishment.

>Anyone else fucking hates 2fort
Nobody likes 2Fort as an actual "do the objective" map.

People who like 2Fort like it purely for dicking around and memories.

2fort is the greatest map ever created in any game ever made.

>falling in the water fucking sucks
Doublecross is worse - manage to land on the shitty alternate path or just fall to your death, and the bridge itself is even worse for getting sniped, especially since they can't duel from the battlements like on 2fort.

>you will never play vanilla tf2 ever again

Check'd that timestamp

>ooh, thats smart

Let's decide this once and for all. Created a poll that I'll run for a while. Vote for all the maps that you would rate as "favorable" to play on.

strawpoll.com/9bpgk8ph

Attached: tenor.gif (398x498, 1.09M)

Why yes, sd_doomsday IS my favorite map. How did you know?

Attached: gigachad.jpg (1068x601, 65K)

hi guys and trannies

Attached: ummer snipes.png (1920x1080, 1.95M)

youtube.com/watch?v=mlt6EXMGlN8

I admire they actually made pyro pale as fuck due to being in a suit

nah
2fort is better
but well is better than 2fort
and doublecross is best ctf

Doublecross is unmitigated bum

they're old

based

Now post Tilted Badwater and Tilty Turbine

I just finished a 3hr stalemate match of cp_Hydro and it was a full server ama

Nothing they're unironically shit and you can't debate me

where were the snipers?

Cactus Canyon gang assemble

A single good player completely breaks the balance

>no rd_asteroid

People play them to death.
Also holy fuck why does this look so weird mirrored.

Attached: Mai.png (973x1297, 769K)

That and asteroid were Kino maps. Also WHERE THE FUCK IS THE BLOG POST VALVE?

Attached: luos.png (1680x1050, 1.98M)

Here's your top tier, bro

Attached: 1559950756342.jpg (618x430, 65K)

Upward is one of the few maps with a moving seasaw mechanic for territorial control.

Its basically a linear King of the hill map. its the best shit ever.

>Badwater
Multiple lines of conflict. Think about that first area and how there are 3 routes for attackers, each of which helps the overall team if they are able to secure them. Theres the top which usually has a sentry, the side which has a full hp/ammo pickup and always has snipers, and the payload tunnel itself. There are close range and long range battle areas so every class can choose the one they excel in and control of each one is important. The second point is the same way, only the roof top is so extremely important that that entire section revolves around it (a platform across the way so a sniper or demo can harass safely, with a health pack to boot, an open area with lots of cover so scouts/pyros can push in to the far staircase, etc)

The weakest section is maybe the 3rd point where its a meat grinder chokepoint, but aside from that its a great map

>pipeline
Literally the only PLR map I think is good

way to fucking fast. and the entire mechanic is built around steam rolling.

>Harvest
>Easily spawncamped, even good teams have to work way too hard to counteract it for how easy it is to do
>rooftops everywhere so all the shithead soldier / troldier mains go wild
>sniper sightlines mean you get shithead edgy sniper mains or peblo.pablo.2019 the newborn sniper main bodyshotting with the bazaar bargain
Its pretty fun most of the time, but it has the highest potential for shitty games

I love unconventional holds on Defense. Like winning on 3rd point Badwater, defending A on Gravelpit, and winning on C or D on Steel.

steel is too smart for zoomers

youtube.com/watch?v=Q16Kx9-Ys2s

I want to like steel for the visual design, but I just can't.
Its way too chokey and has way too many areas for people to just disapear to and never meet the enemy.

I think its tranny cum.

It has some of the best maps and is a nice change of pace. The least valve could do is add it to matchmaking.

For me, it's Upward.

Attached: 1543896985602.webm (1024x768, 1.58M)

to this day I still don't understand any of the words to this other than "give me some oil to drink"

Fuck that.

I want arena where the center stage respawns everyone.

THAT shit is fucking fun, and needs to be in the core game modes.

>TF2's hayday
>Used to play "Arena" regularly
>Always Badlands
It's really had to explain or communicate how much fun I had playing arena.

I adored the shit out of arena.
But the fact is that Valve doesn't want to balance around it, and the community at large doesn't want to be dead for half the game unless WACKY HIJINKS are involved.

Sounds like a reflection of shyness. Boo-yah.
wachacha.

>and the community at large doesn't want to be dead for half the game unless WACKY HIJINKS are involved.

its honestly a pretty horrible mechanic.

It's a great mode if you're comfortable with spectating, and an even better mode if you like elimination style gameplay.

You might hate it but I loved it.

>Badwater and Upward are the top 2 maps
Why is Yea Forums so basic

Good maps get votes. Simple as

yeah I feel you, but its the bane of alternate game modes. Like prophunt, the hidden, VSH.

Best KOTH map?

I'm partial to Lakeside myself.

I loved every stage of it and now it's gone like it never existed. What gives? It may have honestly been my favorite payload map, every stage was so unique but classic at the same time.

Anything but harvest.

Nucleus on a good day.

but viaduct and lakeside are probably the best. In fact as someone that hates Koth, I can actually play those maps.

Unlimited votes. If it only allowed three votes I could see fringe maps getting higher, but with unlimited votes crowd pleasers are guaranteed to win.

I also love arena
Valves default setting for it are shit. It could be popular with good settings

It's decent when you're a noob but everything is either way too open or way too cramped when you're playing with decent people. Snipers control the point, heavies and demos control the buildings.

For me, its Dustbowl.

Attached: 1560303223420.jpg (1280x720, 189K)

memes asside.
what draws people to dustbowl.
is its just that its popular so people play it because its being played?

It's brainless and requires very little strategy. Defenders have a few classic spots to set up sentries and turtle while attackers just have to bum rush everything in a straight line. It's fun to just hop on a Dustbowl server and play casually, same for 2Fort.

I feel like most maps have those brainless spots.
In fact some are even more brainless and cheap than dustbowl. Only thing dustbowl has going for it is the chokes being so hard that you can spam down a hallway and guarantee a hit.

For me it's choke points and spawn camping. I get a good shot of dopamine being the one to lead the charges through the firing line and start gibing niggas. Also being the one to hold the line against an entire charging team of 16 around the final points. There might be something wrong with me but I'm also a huge 2fort and hydro player.

Attached: 1562020034284.jpg (960x554, 46K)

WHY DOES NO ONE PLAY KOTH-SAWMILL ANYMORE? WTF, I CAN'T EVEN FIND A SERVER WITH 150+ PING WITH SOMEONE PLAYING IT WTFFFF

You have to say active, so it's more fun.

It pains me too user. It was one of the coziest maps and nobody plays it

Attached: 1564549144913.jpg (900x900, 64K)

Attached: 1557440702412.jpg (600x1000, 125K)

Better?

Attached: badwater.jpg (1680x1050, 359K)

What about pl_hoodoo?

For me, it's landfall
Tons of defensive and offensive optins and it's crazy hard to push through since the Intel is right by the spawn doors. Sometimes you see some real teamwork and it's the only map I ever see people pass the Intel tactically on.
Shame it turns into 2fort turtle torture every game

koth sawmill is great
standing in the corner as spy or chargin targe demo and booty blasting pubbies

is shit

>For me, it's landfall
bsd
>Shame it turns into 2fort turtle torture every game
i take that back

Don't get me wrong, I love going engie on landfall. The slow pace lets you play mindgames
>rollout, put lvl2 sentry on tree stump
>wrecks someone on their initial rush
>move sentry to watch the space people cornershoot the stump
>same dude comes back, whips around the corner and dumps his rockets at the now empty treestump, gets blasted by the sentry
Out fucking played

Liberty launcher gunboats and escape plan is the best loadout for deleting landfall games. Engineers cant do shit, and even the good players arent expecting you to be halfway to your base with their intel less than 15 seconds into the game. By the time you cap twice the other team has probably been wiped out with crits, even though they've caught on to the plan

Because it's a stupid mode that puts medic from 11/10 OP into 20/10

>tfw dont know some of these newer maps
I should really get around to exploring some of these

Verticality for spies and blast jumpers, tons of side routes but almost not wasted space, and lots of nooks and crannies for spies and engies.

Attached: 1564539716882.jpg (960x960, 137K)

What HUDs do you guys use that have custom crosshairs? Been using Rayshud, and it's nice, but I'm trying to get better at Spy__, and for whatever reason the info displayed about whoever you're looking at near your crosshair doesn't specify what team they're on, so I'm left guessing if I'm looking at a friendly or hostile at a distance.
>pic related

Been looking for a solution, but apparently no one else has this problem, and I can't find a config for it, so I'm just looking for a replacement at this point.

Attached: help.jpg (674x233, 50K)

>Turbine is the highest ranked CTF map by Yea Forums
I'm dying

King
The best thing about meet your match is that it's easy to find King games now. Barely any community servers used to play that and now it wins koth voting very often.
Pork bun awsthetic makes me a whole man

Obligatory: youtu.be/yGs8nLgyQkQ

I'm mesmerized. I've watched this at least eight times

Randomizer is the only way to play arena.
Scout with black box and some hp granting secondary or melee is god mode

>people desperately RTVing

Attached: hyde.jpg (250x250, 6K)

Why is pl so good but plr so shit?

Hahahahahahahaha How The Fuck Can You Not Tell The Team Hahahaha Nigga Just Look At The Screen Like Nigga Open Your Eyes Haha

because you don't drop out of the Battle bus

Harvest

Attached: official-tf2-maps-2019-51007-1557720007.png (1020x1110, 1.35M)

Not in TF2. I hear it's alright in Half Life DM and stuff though.

nothing feels better than creating the hour long stalemate by you and another engie building a level three in mid while you hold the intel, racking up dominations and hope to god you don't get autobalanced.

FUCK badwater basin. Godawful map. and fuck everyone who likes it.

I haven't played the game in at least a year but I'm absolutely certain it's just because it's popular so people go to the popular servers and it repeats.

Who won?

I feel that way about Viaduct

>reddit: the tf2 map tier list

process @ 2am is the best map in the game
guaranteed 12v12 competitive

return to fortified nitrate summerfriend

Because people can't decide if they wanna push their own cart or deffend against enemy one.
Also most of the maps are stupid.
Hightower is impossible to cap, nightfall and pipeline are multistage with stupid pararell last stages, banana bay is alright

lol, go to r/tf2 sometime. 90% of the posts are memes about 2fort or Hightower, two maps that I ranked as C and F respectively.

Can someone explain why so many people like Suijin? It's one of the worst maps in the game, both in terms of optimization and design. Only thing it's got going for it is aesthetic, are you that shallow?

literally chokepoints: the map

>map with a sniper sightline from one end to the other, a point that is easily spammed out by soldiers, and a spawn that can be completely locked down by ONE demoman
>best anything

I absolutely hate it especially those stupid fences and that rooms with healthpacks that you have to crouch jump to

same reason everyone circlejerks about japanese games on Yea Forums

>granary and badlands in a competitive format are objectively some of the best maps in any FPS ever
>completely lost on the casual furfag and discord tranny player base

beautiful

Because I played tf2 for chaotic screwing around. I think that's true for a lot of people, thus maps like dustbowl are popular.

This is why it's so hard to rate those maps. I've literally never had a good match on Gullywash in Casual. Every single match is a one-sided stomp, yet it's a Competitive map, so I can't rank it that low. Same with Granary.

T-turbine?

Attached: 1549007127903.jpg (650x706, 36K)

I've never seen a friendly on Dustbowl. People actually try to win on Dustbowl, so that reason alone makes me love it.

Not only is it a classic map but it’s also the most brainless & chaotic

nearly every casual match is a one sided stomp

I'm not going there faggot, your list is surface-tier and you've probably been playing the game for less than five years.

it's braindead
the entire map is a chokepoint so you can't miss
no surprise it's a shitter magnet

Oh thank God, I'm not the only person who loved turbine.

it was a shit map but 24/7 Turbine worked

Attached: tf2_community_map_awareness_edit.png (1700x1024, 3.45M)

I wonder why we never got more space maps since the props are there thanks to asteroids

let me guess, you're mad I put Hydro in E

Attached: 1559950756342.jpg (247x162, 12K)

How do we fix Mannpower, bros?

steel is the best map

Attached: 1534827596479.png (885x533, 67K)

No, anyone who's actually played hydro knows why it's bad. It's mostly your top picks that are overrated, specifically the koth and 5cp ones. They're practically dm maps, and then you ironically put hightower at last.

Attached: 20190625200959_1.jpg (1920x1080, 246K)

but KOTH and 5CP are the best gamemodes

Attached: tumblr_mr9wkbEt6j1sya9uko2_500.gif (500x377, 498K)

sir im confused, what the fuck am i looking at and why does it give me a gigantic erection?

Bring back old pubs and have all these maps included as options for the rotation, and have Casual become the new matchmaking mode that focuses only on official maps

I use the default one

Attached: 1564269114422.png (381x353, 88K)

>that map that's kinda shit but you still love playing on it
Say her name, Yea Forums

Attached: doomsday.0.jpg (1200x800, 80K)

Tie between Powerhouse and Dustbowl

>Badwater
Defending last is perfectly set up to allow you to play tag around Blue's second spawn as a spy or scout. You stand on the roof and pistol a heavy or engie as he runs out, and it's guaranteed he'll come running upstairs for a minute.

How the FUCK do you get past this, lads?

Attached: 000.png (1920x1080, 2.91M)

does broesel/broesel blue even get updated anymore? i used to use it all the time and all i can find about it is that it’s long dead.

I LOVE THIS DOKTOR

you play a better map retard

>pick Scout
>select Bonk! loadout
>run to spawn
>shoot teleport

Autistic levels of coordination
or
>go spy
>destroy tele

I liked granary until they added those wonky ass entrances to mid cp. Fucking pro-shitters ruining my favorite map

nah I found a version of it on github that was fixed but i dont think that gets updated either. I can't use any other hud

Is this the most cursed stage in TF2 history? In the 50-60 games of Enclosure that I've played, the match has only reached Stage 3 once or twice. I don't even know what Stage 3 of Enclosure looks like.

Attached: 000.png (1366x768, 1.56M)

What entrances? I havent play granary in years

github.com/Hypnootize/Broesel-Hud this is the version I use

nice

Attached: 1535538010909.png (547x73, 4K)

Uh, they added those entrances maybe 5 - 7 years ago. I'm just a bitter oldfag

Depends
>Red has 2-3 sentries in that window building
Exit from side as demo/sold pocket and destroy them
>Red has nest behind building and on exit from spawn
Demo spam,soldier with airstrike or DH.Have 1 scout/demo/soldier to cap first point

Enclosure is such a garbage fucking map that I'm convinced Valve only added it because they saw it was the biggest the game could handle and immediately rolled with it

this makes me want to reinstall.
process was my home; i'd rotate servers to stay there. and those times where enough people on both teams innately knew what needed to be done at any given point were sublime.

I played a 2AM Process game once where me and 4 other Soldiers all did the Process rollout.

>casual matchmaking
>finish game, voting for next map
>Dustbowl 60%
>Harvest 60%
>Upward 60%
>every single time
Let me play different maps you fucking niggers

Attached: 1460317850224.jpg (499x377, 31K)

I feel all comp maps are way too biased towards Soldier/Demo to be any fun. If you dont play Soldier/Demo/Scout you are going to have a shit time

>search for Doublecross
>join game
>just ended
>2fort 82%, Sawmill 18%, Doublecross 0%
>You're on your way to 2fort

Attached: 1561608447203.jpg (317x267, 22K)

Hydro

Attached: 1564466638786.jpg (626x620, 40K)

Borneo or Swiftwater?

Egypt. It was a good map until they patches the high placed so you couldnt build stuff on the pillars/archs

Make night/day versions of existing maps.

Attached: 000.png (1920x1080, 1.97M)

I wanna use the japan assets to make a beloved payload map, give me tips

Borneo
fuck Swiftwater

Attached: 000.png (1280x720, 1.42M)

>hate the fuck out of Hightower
>love Helltower to death

Junction.

It gets REALLY messy, but I love the aesthetic and the choke is actually lighter than most maps of its time.

It was honestly a big step forward for A/D, its no gorge but its still good in my heart.

>destroy tele
>they just walk through their spawn door

Yknow its weird how like no maps have the spawn entrance next to the first point, outside of old valve maps.

harvest is a dogshit koth map since it was clearly made as an arena map.

>here's your worldbuilding bro

Attached: manns land.png (696x499, 621K)

Banana bay but only as heavy

Put a cliff in there, bitches love cliffs

pillars, lots and lots of pillars

Attached: b4nny.webm (640x360, 93K)

>even as scout since you have to go all the way around to get up.
Use FON, jump, aim 45 degrees, second jump. Soda popper works if you can aim.

>RTV 8/9
these people have no honor

I don't know if it exists anymore, but Valve used to keep track of the gameplay stats on every official map, like the win/loss rates and stuff like that. I mostly remember every attack/defend map being imbalanced in defender's favour except for gravel pit, and that hoodoo was by far the most imbalanced official map at an almost 75% winrate for defenders. you could definitely feel it too.

wait for your team to uber, build sentry behind the wall. instantly your team has room to actually breath, and you can keep moving it up. you're straight fucked on the 2 mile long corridor that comes after though lol

>Highpass A tier
based, really fun map

Reminder that Whiterock was reskinned into mossrock for Jungle Inferno

Im behind this yesterday got into 3 fucking matches of
>t u r b i n e
And god damn are they long
Maps like harvest are fun but the major downside is its very based like one match you could be dominating and the other you can leave spawn

Bad water is fun too open space and a consistent objective create the incentive to do the thing and you frag way more

Though attack and defense is ok not not terrible but not good either

Did anyone ever play on Vikings, the map with two big boats and the cannons that launch you between them, I played hundreds of hours on that map.

finally another person that recognizes the superiority of asteroid

Attached: giphy.gif (478x268, 425K)

Where my watergate chads at?

that spire to the top at the center of the boats was always a bloodbath

Readability, openness, and all three let you spam over arches for easy kills

watergate is fun till a mega faggot places a sentry at the top of the map

I had to watch this a few times to understand what I was seeing

harvest is the same shit every time
>legion of scouts, only one is good and he shreds everyone else
>pyro that jetpacks to the center house and kills everyone inside every time
>soldiers roof camping the point to ground zero
>multiple snipers putting the entire map in their sightline
>gunslinger engineers
>worthless demoknights
>spy that cloaks on the roof of enemy base and only targets snipers
>implying anyone plays medic or heavy on this map

Attached: harvest.jpg (1152x864, 182K)

>tfw only got into tf2 the week it went f2p
>tfw i always ride on the tail-end of any game's golden age

Attached: 1544538854570.png (947x644, 161K)

I play Heavy on this map.

Why does Valve not care anymore \v\?

Can never get a game on it anymore, it's a shame

Why should they?
They get all the money from selling other peoples games.