Remember that no matter how terrible video games get, you'll always have DOOM (on PC at least)

Remember that no matter how terrible video games get, you'll always have DOOM (on PC at least)

Attached: 3907-doom-dos-front-cover.jpg (800x1207, 285K)

Other urls found in this thread:

babel-mod.neocities.org/
forum.zdoom.org/viewtopic.php?f=43&t=64793
twitter.com/SFWRedditVideos

DOOM is alright but it's the DOOM 2 modding community that has kept the series relevant.

this, only zoomers who don't really play Doom think 1 > 2

>billions of wads
>tons of gameplay mods
Its an all purpose comfy blanket you can always return to.

Attached: tx2d7gmxyeq01.png (469x498, 402K)

If you judge by the vanilla games, 1 is better. Doom mapsets are effectively different games, judging a game based on the mods it has is dumb. Most people have both wads anyway so it's not like it's a contest.

I haven't played it in a while. Some faggot told me to download 'brutal doom' and it ruined the whole experience for me. Maybe enough time has passed so that I can enjoy proper Doom again.

this

>Doom 2016 AND Eternal will have come out before Back To Saturn X E3

2 really is better with the added enemy variety and the addition of the SSG, but I think I prefer Doom 1's levels and progression
TNT Evilution is still the best tho

Attached: 1534735448188.jpg (1242x1520, 715K)

Vanilla Doom is better as far as gameplay goes, has a much smoother flow and a more satisfying shotgun, but Brutal can be fun for some mindless killing. They're different experiences.

>TNT Evilution is still the best tho
I think you're getting TNT and Plutonia mixed up, understandable since they were shipped together

rec me wads this is all i have

Attached: file.png (613x259, 18K)

If you want a proper vanilla+ style gameplay mod you should try out Project Babel or Burl Tumd

babel-mod.neocities.org/
forum.zdoom.org/viewtopic.php?f=43&t=64793

both of these work wonderfully on more traditional mapsets like DTWID 1 and 2

Remember that no matter how terrible video games get, you'll always have Thief: The Dark Project (on PC at least)

Attached: garrett.jpg (240x240, 7K)

Attached: SO YOU WANT TO PLAY SOME FUCKING DOOM.png (1543x6892, 1.67M)

Reminder Thief and Thief 2 have excellent fan made missions and that you can easily install and play them with AngelLoader

I'm not good enough and I don't like Revenants nearly enough to be a Plutonia fan

>the DOOM modding/mapping community will die in your lifetime

Attached: howdy.jpg (1242x1226, 117K)

probably not, unless another fps with fast movement goes open source any time soon

Yeah, plus you can jump in Brutal Doom which let's you skip some areas if you want to.
Doom 1 E4 on ultraviolent is some of the most fun I've ever had in a game though. Fuck E4M2 Perfect Hatred.

Meetup of Doomworld regular at Quakecon this year

Attached: 1564532910556.jpg (1600x1200, 342K)

aint happening any time soon
just look at Quake, you would think it was dead in the water but TrenchBroom allowed mappers to push the engine more and more and now its seeing a bit of a resurgence

i'm gonna sound like a shill here, but it really is a great time to be a quake map maker. tb is great but the new vis and light tools let you make some damn pretty spooky levels in quake. you can have just a single light source cast light so far into a level now you don't need a gorillion fill lights anymore so sources like fire and torches can be even more moodier and atmospheric since shadows can be super smooth and way more accurate. making outdoor levels is better than ever as well since you can use bounce and sunlight.

How do I make it so settings load on a per-mod basis on GZDoom? Like for example, if I want one mod to have freelook and jumping and another to be purely vanilla

>2D sprite enemies that have repetitive animations
>can't look up or down
>no vertical movement
>turn with arrow keys instead of mouse
>shitty sound design
>weapon animations have like 3 frames
>bland samey environments
>repetitive objective on every level
>HUD takes 20% of the screen
>little enemy variety
>enemies are slow as fuck and shoot slow projectiles
>35fps internal logic and corresponding input lags.
>Combined with fucking inertia implementation where you feel like you pkay as atank while walking, and you feel like sliding on glass while running.
>Also, ridiculously shit melee system, which restricts your movement in order to make your hits connect.

Shit game

>inb4 b-but MUH MODS

we get it, you're bad at video games

Which one should I play next?

Attached: doomwads.png (254x829, 18K)

>turn with arrow keys instead of mouse
This has literally never been an issue, you could always remap your controls and use a mouse

>2D sprite enemies that have repetitive animations
as opposed to 3d models which would age horribly

>can't look up or down
you automatically aim vertically

>no vertical movement
???????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????? what did he mean by this

>shitty sound design
"no!"

>weapon animations have like 3 frames
who cares, nerd

>bland samey environments
Each of the four episodes have consistent theming. Would you rather a completely random collection of maps?

>repetitive objective on every level
"Get to the end of the level" is repetitive?

>HUD takes 20% of the screen
Decent complaint but hasn't been an issue since the advent of sourceports
>b-b-but that counts as a mod! aaahahahahaa
no
no one plays doom on a dos pc, sourceports are effectively the vanilla game

>little enemy variety
Every enemy has a distinct purpose, are recognizable, and you know how to deal with them when you see them. This is like complaining that Pac-Man only has 4 ghosts.

>enemies are slow as fuck and shoot slow projectiles
Almost half the enemies hitscan

>35fps internal logic and corresponding input lags.
sourceports, which we just established is the modern way to play the game

>Combined with fucking inertia implementation where you feel like you pkay as atank while walking, and you feel like sliding on glass while running.
Turn autorun on, and the sliding is a good thing. Realistic movement is why modern FPS suck.

>Also, ridiculously shit melee system, which restricts your movement in order to make your hits connect.
melee is supposed to be shit, conserve your ammo

Try harder, play on Ultra-Violence.

It's old as dirt pasta btw

I only had the shareware version back in the day, so I put more time into Knee Deep in the Dead than anything else, so I'll always like it better. I find the level design and new enemies in 2 to be shit.

DOOM is piss easy made for casuals

>This has literally never been an issue
t. Underage brutal doomer

>you automatically aim vertically
Casual shit

Kill yourself kiddo

Vanilla doom is peak comfy. Add some good mods also help like going midevil on their asses

>>This has literally never been an issue
>t. Underage brutal doomer
again, you could remap your controls in 1993 and use a mouse
i bet a boomer like you has a real copy of it, so you can test it right now on your 486 DX2

>new enemies in 2
>shit
literally git gud

why are you getting mad at a 25 year old game lol

I've always thought Shores of Hell was better

Chaingunners and Revenants are shit. Hitscan enemies with rapid fire are bullshit and if I dodge a projectile it should stay dodged. Archvilles are fine, though, which most people would disagree with.

What are you guy's favorite mods?
I'm a big fan of DoomRLA combined with DoomRPG even though it's a bit out of date.
I just roll up a batch of oblige maps and go to town.

>>>you automatically aim vertically
>Casual shit
It's kind of a paradox, to call me an "underage brutal doomer" and simultaneously call me a casual for using the vertical autoaim built into the game
brutal doom is based on freelook, so wouldn't that be less casual?

Mouse aim doesn't work they way you think it does in 1993 underage kiddo

Cause its a garbage game only liked by 19 year brutal doom redditors

Mouse aim works exactly how I think it does, but with lower sensitivity, and the mouse can also move you forwards and backwards

Fuck it give me guides ill start a map tonight.

lol mad

>bad melee
1) you can kill the mancubus woth a chainsaw from full to 0 on ultra violence
2) how the fuck did you think punching a demon would go you dumbass?

Doom 64 for Doom 2 was good.

Look up dumptruck_ds on Youtube.

Doom is one of those games people pretend to like to seem cool but you'll never actually see th e zealots who suck it off okay it. Just defend it here because they think doing so makes them automatic oldfags.

Plus doomfag may be in smash so now underage smashes are pretending to be fans now so they can be apart of the epic hype bandwagon. The truth is doom is irrelevant these days and only third worlders with potatoes still play it

Does Yea Forums still ever have any 8-bit deathmatch nights?

Attached: 66770609.png (800x600, 50K)

Yes, but with Duke Nukem 3D.

Just bought it on PS4 and went through the first episode, I know its shareware and ive previously downloaded it on PC but I never bothered to get a mouselook for it and it seems somewhat irrelevant to play this on PC if all I care about is the vanilla game

I guess im mainly going through it and the sequel afterwards since I bought a physical copy of some upgraded version of the 3rd game on a whim off a local game store but dont want to jump into the third game out of the blue. Maybe ill have everything including 4 finished in time for 5

Doom 1 seems like one of the most inoffensive games ever and I dont really get how anyone could hate it. Its so simplistic that theres basically nothing to "hate", its just stupid fun with a cool soundtrack and surprisingly inspired visuals for what it is

>Doom is one of those games people pretend to like to seem cool
This is the opinion of someone who has somehow not played the most ported, most pirateable game in existence

t. "I never heard of setup.exe"

>shitty sound design
That's what gave your post away as bait. Try to be more subtle next time. 3/10

No but the Doom general on /vr/ has deathmatch nights

Is DOOM classic fun on Switch? It's in the eShop now

I also have doom 3 :>

Attached: Doomguy_3_rende.png (519x592, 404K)

Yeah sounding like it was recorded through a tin can sure is great sound design

Doom is fun on pretty much everything except the GBA.

Yeah, Doom is one of the only FPS that doesn't really lose much from being on console since it only has horizontal aiming. But wait until the DRM is patched out unless you want to sell your soul to Todd. Or just fucking download the PC version and play on GZDoom and potentially play neat mods
Note that it's moral to pirate this since all the money from the Steam version goes to Bethesda, also Carmack said it's okay

Shh. Go work on your shitposting, it's not very good yet.

>Carmack said it's okay
This

Attached: carmack.jpg (601x480, 80K)

Did you expect them to store lossless FLACs on floppy disks?

Not an argument, crying about shitposting is how redditors cope with an argument they can't win against

Doom isn't even good Boomer. There's no story. It's mindless as shit.

It's like Doom, but slightly worse. Just play a homebrew version.

>no story is this faggots argument
you want a fucking movie dont you

Let's also mention that it's an FPS that doesn't require aiming your gun. The entire process of playing Doom is mind numbing.

You have no argument either. You're simply bitching that old=bad because the sound quality is up to 1993 standards. It's like complaining that a movie from 1930 is in black and white. Doom's sound design is memorable and appealing, especially taking into account the technical limitations of the day.

>sounding shitty is memorable!!!!

Yeah scratching a nail on a chalkboard is also memorable in how terrible it sounds

wow it's almost like a shmup that doesn't require aiming your shots and instead emphasizes dodging.... haha that'd be crazy wouldn't it

Just finished doom, about to download doom 2, kinda hyped. Doom was great and the level flow was spot on but episode 4 had some cheese.

Episode 4 was actually made after Doom 2 for the Ultimate Doom, which was the first retail release of the original Doom (before that, you had to order it via phone)
It was meant to be super hard even for good players, like a "Doom Lost Levels"

There actually is story.
Not only does the manual contain some backstory for doomguy, but every couple of levels it will shit out a wall of text to tell exactly what has been going on.
People who think doom has no plot didn't play it. The plot doesn't matter, but it exists.

Thanks for responding, that makes a lot of sense it felt like a challenge pack of sorts. That final room with the 2 cyber demons and the spider was fucking intense haha. And e4m2 had me lost for a bit. Still really fun

DOOM is shareware, aka legally free, companies selling it just exploit newer generations' ignorance

Only the first episode was shareware. If you wanted to play the Shores of Hell and Inferno, you had to order by phone

Doom is fucking boring.

Why are so many people who haven't played the game hitting up this thread?

this, retarded boomers are cancer and they should die out asap

>this
>comfy

Attached: uOf6ssE.png (640x360, 313K)

>he doesn't know how to dodge revenant projectiles LMAO

Sucking dick and sucking on a lollipop are different experiences too and I can tell you're an adept at both

To me it's just not Doom if I don't have to log into my Bethesda.net account.