Fighting Games

Here's why fighting games besides Tekken and Street Fighter die almost instantly (Pic is absolutely related)

The fighting games, from my experience, that die the fastest are anime fighting games. Most will bullshit you, saying that they die because people can't be bothered to "learn combos", but that is absolutely not the case as the combos are easy as fuck to do thanks to chains, and have been getting dumbed down hard ever since Xrd.
No, the REAL reason is because you have shit faced characters like Izanami and Ramlethal that just put you in a mixup blender and just win. Unless you go out of your way to research discord and all the resources scattered across twitter on how to defend against them, which takes hours of labbing even after finding the resources, you will almost always die after getting hit once, blocked or not.
It doesn't help that these mixup characters are the hot waifu bitches, so A LOT of players pick them up, yes, many give up due to the execution, but a decent amount push through and learn all the combos and setups required to win by just getting 1 hit in.

Prove me wrong, you literally cannot.

Attached: 1556904728132.png (1280x720, 794K)

Other urls found in this thread:

youtube.com/watch?v=fOvG_TfnCVo&t=00h55m31s
youtube.com/watch?v=Srxj2Wc8Fzg&t=01h18m47s
twitter.com/SFWRedditGifs

Anime games die first because nobody wants to be seen buying or playing or watching anime. It's a stigma. Doesn't stop good games like GG from being made though. And it sure doesn't stop me from jerking off to poor Japanese anime mothers that have forgot their umbrella coming home from work & want a ride back to their place at a cost.

Attached: 1564565600679.jpg (400x292, 33K)

Fighting games require an immense time, effort, and patience investment. They die instantly and often, making it so all of that investment is almost guaranteed to have been wasted. They're not popular or team games so there's a certain feeling of isolation when playing them. You have no NPC companions or teammates when there's tons of great games that do.

Just look at how well garbage like Persona sells because of the waifu sidegigs, companionship is important to gamers and just about everyone else.

And by cost I mean I stick my penis inside their vaginas haha

Even SFV, the fighting game with the most negative stigma, has 1k players. I was able to find matches for it constantly, and I live in EU.

Meanwhile anime fighters drop down below 100-200 after a week. Why? That's what the OP post is about.

Attached: 1550549919340.png (788x168, 122K)

SF will never not be the most popular because of how much history it has, but having 1k concurrent players is an absolute joke for an online game in the current year. I know dead as fuck MMOs from 10 years ago that have more than that daily.

Doesn't matter. 1K players is alive enough for a fighting game. Guilty Gear, Under Night, BlazBlue are dead.

>injustice 2 is an imbalanced mess
>street fighter has fans fleeing the series
>melee no longer at evo
>MK overrun by sjw
>skull girls is just waifu bait these days
is Guilty Gear the only series left that has stayed true to itself and gotten more popular every year?

Attached: 1560887344060.gif (200x250, 64K)

The quality of a fighting game is directly proportional to the quality of its female cast.

Prome me wrong.

Attached: EAk7yeSX4AAUtmh.png (800x589, 494K)

>gotten more popular every year?
Maybe if you take non-players that pretend to play it into consideration. The player base is fucking tiny, and the game is extremely un-fun with the extreme amount of setplay, which is WHY people LARP about playing it instead of actually playing it.

Attached: 1546368989357.gif (466x490, 1.15M)

Fighting games are a niche genre and market that are flooded with products and marketed like mainstream service games despite the two philosophies not gelling together at all.

cumbrain, stop

>the game is extremely un-fun with the extreme amount of setplay
this is the reason i don't play it actually
tho it has problems even if you dispose of the setplay - neutral is extremely volatile and there's generally many options for the good characters to impose themselves on the other player with options that require hard reads and big commitments to beat, introducing mindgames to scenarios where there really shouldn't be any

Well, guilty gear is fun to me, so I guess I'll just keep playing it. Many people don't need to have the validation of thousands playing the same game. We just play because it's fun.

do you play a setplay character

well, makoto did the same thing in third strike and abigail does the same thing in V
setplay makes the game more fun, too

>setplay makes the game more fun, too
If you're playing the character, yes.
If you're playing against them, it ruins the game.

I don't really play a setplay style, or even a single character. My friends and I have been playing casually every weekend for years, so that's an important distinction I should have made in my previous post.

dont make me dump my entire Makoto folder

Do it cumbrain

Of course you'll enjoy the game then you cumbrained retard, your faggot scrub friends won't even know what oki is, I'm talking about competitive

I'd say that's part of it, but I think it's reductive to suggest that the single reason that a genre of games does poorly is because of one annoying kind if character. I-No and Ramlethal are easily the characters I like fighting least in Guilty Gear, but I still enjoy fighting them because I like the game, but even if I didn't I think I'd need more reason than just my dislike of those two, especially considering not many people even play Ram, to stop playing.

I, a casual, will tell YOU, why do games "DIE" because of being UNFAIR to ME

Attached: what is fighting games.jpg (1600x1600, 264K)

I disagree. If the game is too sterile on how you can open up the other players' guard, you end up with tiresome matches with no risk of getting blown up by some cool trick. It's the game's responsibility to give the player enough tools to deal with it dirty setups though, and that's why GG is a great game: everyone is broken to an extent, but everything has a counter that can be used by the defender to retaliate
People don't play it because of the steep learning curve. This game requires active improvement from players, who need to know how to counter specific stuff at the go and this kind of stuff doesn't come for free, as you'll be losing a lot more than winning

Attached: trust no one.gif (267x232, 432K)

As far as I can tell fighting games die quickly because players are conditioned to move on to whatever's new rather than trying to master a game. I don't think ssbm is necessarially any better than other fighting games but it lasted forever since nintendo made the next game anti-competetive, whereas the rest of the FGC always jumps shit because everyone else is jumping ship and there's generally prizepools and whatnot to bait people over.

>it's okay that I-No and Millia can put you in a vortex blender because that makes the game less sterile!

Don't play melty blood

>that die the fastest are anime fighting games.
it's literally because anime fighting game players are fickle
do not confuse the word fickle with finicky as they are not the same word at all

But if you play offline you can form some companionship as well. More so than team based games online.

People still play MB?

Yes.

Why is Yea Forums so obsessed with dissecting why people at large don't play fighters instead of just playing fighters.
Do we really need to go through this song and dance again?

Attached: 1wn9fk5ompy21.jpg (325x767, 36K)

>looking through low view channels on fighting games
>find cute girl playing various anime fighting games for some reason
>no one watching
>start helping her out and discussing the games
>talk about neutral and whiff punishing etc and she seems really interested
>watch her giggle at one of my bad jokes
>start to open up
>give her a $5 donation at end and she looks so happy
>start watching her stream regularly
>only regular viewer for first week
>whenever I come in she always says "my favourite is here"
>realise I've fallen in love
>have to go away on holiday with family
>no internet connection for 10 days
>come back
>join her stream, notice it has 200 viewers
>"hey look, user is here, I've missed you!"
>heart is racing
>donate a $10 as sorry but she only smiles and says thanks
>pop-up
>"xNarutox (or something) has donated $50"
>She squeals with delight "thanks babe you're my absolute favourite *mwah*"
>feel my heart breaking
>notice she's playing sin in gg xrd and being absolutely unga
>never view her stream again

Attached: 1564696335905s.jpg (125x70, 2K)

Because the purpose of a discussion board is to discuss things you fucking imbecile

They're strong characters, but not unbeatable Johnny on the other hand though
Here's I-no losing to a low tier, for instance
youtube.com/watch?v=fOvG_TfnCVo&t=00h55m31s

Assuming this is true which it probably isn't because where the fuck doesn't have internet these days, you got played like a fiddle. Never trust a woman if she's not the one who came on to you first.

Play melty

are you implying Slayer is low tier

Ah, yes. Another brainlet crawls from the woodwork to yet again insist, emphatically, that fighting games are dead, dying, or won’t last very long.

Every time, you do this. The same tired arguments, the same lack of understanding to how the genre works, the same poorly defined goalposts. Don’t you ever get tired of speaking out your ass?

I certainly don’t get tired of watching you. So go on ahead, fumble around with your words until you create something that vaguely resembles a cohesive argument. I’ll be here, watching. Lurking. Smugging.

Attached: 1EE7B3B6-66F3-4502-8F5C-06D8B6BCD841.jpg (750x986, 162K)

Johnny can lose to low tiers too, here's Johnny, and moreover what many people would consider the best Johnny and the best GG player, being beaten by an Answer player youtube.com/watch?v=Srxj2Wc8Fzg&t=01h18m47s

Tiers obviously exist in the game and not all characters are created equal, but people tend to really exaggerate how bad the balance is. It's balanced fine, it's not balanced perfectly, but there are not totally shit characters and there are no characters who are head and shoulders above the rest. Just looking at how many top 8s it gets with everybody playing someone different is a testament to that.

Dragon Ball FighterZ is pretty good and still pretty alive too. This will be its second EVO now and there's still plenty of content for the second Season Pass.

oh my god, just dump yourself into a woodchipper, you are pathetic for doing this kind of thing
you're fresh out of highschool aren't you

Attached: kyokaax3.png (250x300, 85K)

What we need are simpler mechanics! If only I could do Disgruntled Rye Ooh's 999 hit combo then it would be fair! We should make a fighting game where I can do that combo just with one button! THEN fighting games will be good!

Attached: iu[1].jpg (474x266, 17K)

Combos that go on for too long are pretty shitty though.

I don’t play fightan games much, but why is GG not in eco while the new BlazBlu that nobody liked is?

You could try discussing it without using the same braindead cookie-cutter vernacular that 90% of Yea Forums fightan bait threads use in the OP.
You aren't inviting much in the way of discussion(despite the relative civility of this thread so far), more like just more dp input/fightan is 2hard shitposting.

Attached: 1564063366133.jpg (892x703, 52K)

"too long" is subjective. You also become more tolerant of those lengths once you learn to do some yourself. I'll always hate infinites though.

>where there really shouldn't be any
Tell me what should be then

Because the new Blazblue continues to be updated while they're done with Rev 2.

>Antoinette-posting

Attached: done.jpg (1936x2048, 483K)

Attached: aeka a slut.jpg (234x312, 25K)

dum dum. SFv literally has what every fighting game needs.

Crossplay. you see 1k on steam. you add that to PSN players as well.

>testament to that
Heh

>filename
Now we have a pot who is kettle-posting, when will degeneracy end

Attached: c30.jpg (489x476, 25K)

Not really. Doing long combos is a tiresome process and not even the most fun part of a fighting game. At least back in the day most people could jump in, learn a few straight-forward combos and learn the ins and outs of they game they want to play relatively quickly, bit now one must understand many elements of the system to perform a b'n'b that may require a timing change depending on the character you are fighting.

A lot of games still have straight forward uniform combo routes for most characters, but people tend to call those games too "samey". Like how people make fun of DBFZ for "everyone having the same combo" and SFV for being medium confirm: the game. Unfortunately it's kind of impossible to please everyone, but at least everyone has at least one game to cater to their tastes. If you absolutely despise combos, you could always get into the new Samsho.

sorry you made such a mistake, antoinette is pure
yet aeka, who was gaito's other girlfriend for a time, and also has a sex scene with kouhei, is supposed to be the nonslut, and antoinette doesn't have a sex scene anywhere, i am ayylmaoing

Attached: ymkbestending.png (800x600, 468K)

Brand name is what makes them sell and "keeps them alive" nothing more.

>antoinette doesn't have a sex scene anywhere
Cause no one wanted to give her the d lmao

Attached: rich.png (261x425, 72K)

so she is not even a slut
meanwhile, aeka literally says that she'll kill herself if she doesn't get laid

Attached: ninacodegeass.jpg (250x225, 25K)

She tries to larp as some mature and experienced woman so she can bully people.

And this bully certainly became less tough after have her windpipe nearly collapsed.

It's an autocombo shit fest.

Attached: ClipboardImage.jpg (640x480, 164K)

But having to lab out characters to stand a chance against them is more true of tekken 7 than any other fighter this gen

Anime fighting game's biggest barrier is needing to instant guard to punish attacks or escape pressures.
Its not enough you learn to block high, low, or cross ups. If you dont instant block, youre stuck in so much blockstun opponent can keep on piling on the blockstrings.

Attached: 1562639131173.jpg (500x468, 52K)

Not at low-mid level. With anime it begins right off the bat.

At low-mid level your opponent isn't doing that crazy setplay shit though, they'll just be dropping around like you

my friend learned all the I-No mixups and he's dark green
doesn't drop anything either and converts every hit

*derping around

>wojak
When will Hiro filter all wojak and frog images?

>because you have characters that put you in a blender
Tekken 7 had S1 Kazumi which people referred to as Okizumi, cause of her ridiculous oki. The game did not die.
SF4 was such a vortex game, crossup mixups after every throw and sweep, it did not die either.

More correct than OP

Skull girls is reset bait. Why MikeZ didn't add some sort of mechanic that made resets not as strong eludes me.

based

Attached: __android_21_majin_android_21_panty_and_stocking_panty_stocking_with_garterbelt_and_etc_drawn_by_don (1500x1500, 480K)

What the fuck is with the Panty and Stocking + Android 21 meme suddenly

It's autocombos done better than that shitty Persona fighter.

>Skull girls is reset bait. Why MikeZ didn't add some sort of mechanic that made resets not as strong eludes me.
KikeZ is retarded and thinks that resets are the opposite of setplay.

>hey user come play X with us.
>lol only spics, weebs or "insert some shitty excuse here" play this. Play SF/Tekken instead.

Every single fucking time. Also most fighting games lack of brand awareness and genre in general is time sink to learn. Even if basic mechanics are splashed around I really doubt that someone that play SF going do well on KOF.

Attached: 1560734672022.jpg (1280x720, 100K)

Fighting games live and die by their competitive scene. What reason does a casual player have to play Mortal Kombat 11 six weeks after launch? Even a "small" turnout of ~800 for your niche game at EVO is good, honestly.

>play Mortal Kombat 11 six weeks after launch?
they keep playing it though

I just can't stand the cross up gameplay of 2D fighters.
I'm playing a fighting game not some platformer.

Attached: 1496048873598.png (425x500, 277K)

This. It's why Street Fighter Alpha, which was supposed to be a quick, cheap side project to sell off stocks of old hardware, ended up selling more than games that Capcom had actually put effort into like Darkstalkers and Children of the Atom.

Attached: rsz_virtua_fighter.png (1024x537, 857K)

Anyone that played guilty gear for 5 minutes and isn't a cringe weeb that wants to setplay and force 50/50s instead of actually playing fighting game fundamentals realized GG is a shitty fighting game. Sorry, I prefer to play games that are actually about footsies and neutral instead of mashing until KD -> oki that loops into itself.

Then you add even more garbage into the game, input eating slowdown yrcs, a patch that buffed the best character in the game and nerfed the low tiers, danger time, has a ton of gimmick retard characters like jacko, negative penalty, a cringe weeb fanbase that shills this turd everywhere, and has momentum on runs and jumps like a fucking platformer... is it any wonder XTURD died so soon? Is it any wonder why the machabo (the best xturd player) hates guilty gear and wishes he spent his time playing street fighter?

Is it any fucking wonder why the most vocal 'fans' of goober queer are weebs from /r/kappa and Yea Forums that won't shut up about the game despite sucking ass at it and having at most 20 hours in it, because it has anime tits in it? But the best part is that people say this game has strong 'defensive options', because memorizing instant block timings and burning all your meter on green blocking gives you slightly more pushback. Like that does anything to offset the ridiculously unfair setplay and offense. Are all the 'defensive options' why every single round at a pro level is determined by a knockdown within the first 10 seconds?

Fucking LMAO. Just fucking LOL at you stupid cucks. Nobody will EVER care about goober gear besides cringy weebs on /r/kappa and a bunch of chainsmoking autistic japanese salarymen in their late 30s reliving their youth through a videogame

THIS it's why I hunted down a copy of pic/related & got into the groove of playing Tina

Attached: Dead or Alive Hardcore.jpg (3225x2156, 1.03M)

What?

Darkstalkers did well till capcom shat itself with vsav/hunter 2. And COTA is the whole reason of why MAHVEL exists.

And Alpha 1 still sold better than both, despite low production values and not doing anything new gameplay-wise.

Arcade revenue is different from console. SNK had games that were around top 2-3 for long time when SF2 was out and everyone forgot about them.

What about a magically converted guy into a girl?

Attached: 20190725173207.png (442x610, 402K)

Then pick a character with god tier anti-airs like uriel or falke. Every single time the fool will try to jump you will casually remove ~25% of their HP.

Attached: maxresdefault-1.jpg (1280x720, 167K)

Thats why DP exist.

Complaining about fighting games "dying" is really just complaining that you aren't good enough to play them.

They die because they're not fucking Street Fighter and Tekken full stop.

Assuming that you aren't buger, KOF do pretty well.

>Yes, I think Heritage For The Future is far more fun than Street Fighter 2, how could you tell?

Attached: dio.png (270x422, 232K)

>how could you tell
you posted reddit's wacky adventure so I could tell you had a pea brain

Snk heroines

The actual reason is that they're just not in the same level of popularity as Tekken and SF. And fighting games with few players will always have only a few players because for beginners to want to play it there needs to be more beginners that they can play against, rather than getting their asses kicked by all the experienced players all the time.

Attached: 1562416264875.gif (100x100, 23K)

>472590147

Attached: basedjojo.png (430x525, 457K)

>rather than getting their asses kicked by all the experienced players all the time.
better players dont like playing with people who cant keep up for more than like 3 matches

This shit create a vicious cycle. But then most of population dies like 1 month after release.

True, but my point is that inexperienced players need other inexperienced players to play against.

To an extent. You can get that experience playing online for the most part. But at some point you will need to have your shit kicked in by someone that ACTUALLY knows what they're doing to show you that you know nothing.

Here's a better question, why should I play if I'm not having fun?

Attached: 469.gif (480x264, 1.88M)

no one said you should

Guess I won't play fighting games then, if I'm not having fun with them.

Attached: free-shrugs-4301553.png (500x736, 201K)

There's no denying that GG's playbase is fucking tiny.

>Finish the story mode
>Try to queue up for ranked
>No players
>Queu up for a quick match
>No players
>Have to go into lobbies with like 4 people in it in order to find a match, pretty much impossible to find anyone on your skill level

There's no doubt in my mind that GG is way better than shitheaps like SF or MK but the small player base is a a problem.

Attached: Ky Tea.png (1028x695, 851K)

Please don't act like you actually play this game. Go back to the guilty gear wiki

Fightingfags should be grateful of their niche hobby, look what happened when a genre becomes popular...it turns into creative bankrupt shit

Tekken 7 is a great game but has shit waifus
Eliza is the only hot girl in it and she sucks

The real problem is that everything but the player lobbies is shit. Ranked matches you with 13f delay japs and euros regardless of setting and global lobbies are laggy and missing a bunch of features
I'm hoping they rework that stuff for GGXXXX

Oh I had no idea, no wonder that's the case then, shit like this can destroy a community.

>GGXXXX
Fuck that, give me a GG3 with the same gameplay from GG2, that shit was amazing and it's sad to see it didn't get as much traction as it should have.

Attached: 1556466763049.png (210x181, 5K)

wasn't GG2 literally just Brutal Legend

>Make beginner lobby
>Johnny player joins because he has nowhere else to go
>Double perfects me
>"GGs" because he hopes I'll keep playing until I'm good enough so he can actually have fun

At least with Skullgirls I can matchup with anime waifu weebs that picked up the game for pennies to jack off to the girls and actually have a match where I'm allowed to press buttons.

It's kind of a mixed bag. I've played with people that weren't very good when I was hosting lobbies and then they added me right after. If I'm playing a guy that's way above my level I can just move to another cab or just practice in traniing mode. I still with there was more people.

>not rematching him over and over again to learn how to block good or pick up some tech
That's how I got decent at FighterZ.

He stopped rematching me after like 4 games because I assume it was about as fun to him as playing against a training mode bot