Why is it relatively uncommon for games to place the player in the role of the villain...

Why is it relatively uncommon for games to place the player in the role of the villain? It's the perfect medium for villain stories, and that aspect seems under-utilized.

Attached: th.jpg (219x123, 5K)

because the vast majority of people want to self-insert as the hero of the story
its harder to make an utterly irredeemable protagonist that the player can become attached to, so most devs don't bother trying or they just half-ass it by making you "morally gray"

Because it's hard to write a proper goal for a villain.
He's supposed to be the obstacle himself and to write a journey there need to be obstacles for him instead.
And that leads either to anti-hero type of mc instead or a comically evil villain.

>Because it's hard to write a proper goal for a villain.
literally just make another protagonist whose goals clash

So then what how do you explain your incompetence in the inevitable run-ins with the opposing party?

>Overlord franchise went out with a whimper
>no other game with the same feeling of being an evil fantasy dark lord who goes around fucking shit up
No fair

Attached: 1558128329067.jpg (1470x1740, 495K)

Because people are retarded and don’t want to be the bad guy even if they’re doing what they think is the right thing to do

>no Overlord game where you play as Ainz
Man this plane of existence sucks.

I'm surprised more games didn't try to do it like that one fable game. Just have your motives be right and have people not understand or hate you for it like all good villains are anyway

Overlord fucking blows though.
>here's you're evil army bro
>four of the same thing, just differently colored

>le villain who was right all along meme
I sleep
let me be a 100% evil scumbag or don't bother

Because villains are supposed to lose, so if he doesn't, then most people will get upset. It would only work if they either ultimately do good or the game/story is satire. Dungeon Keeper and Overlord are good examples for what I'm talking about, though I do know of there being games where one of the main characters is a more authentic and serious villain, like with Dark Half. I'll admit that I haven't played Dark Half or looked too much into why the villain does what he does, but if you want to see a playable villain in a video game, that looked like a really good place to start. The guy starts off his adventure by slaughtering an entire town outside of two kids hiding under a bed, so I'm kind of curious myself why he would do something like that other than just to get more magic power from their souls as well as what else he does further into the game.

Because nobody wants to be this asshole.

Attached: ffta.png (480x320, 38K)

He's not a villain, though. One of his friends was given natural red hair, his brother was given working legs, and his friend was given a mom while the dad was also given a respectable job and his wife back. This all sounds good, but the problems start arising once you think about everything else around them. Where did everyone else's parents go? Where did the neighbors go? They were basically deleted and overwritten by the inhabitants of this new world. Also, Mewt's mom isn't even his real mom but some other entity altogether. Most importantly, though, there's no video games in that world.

villains are just heroes that didn't win

Overlord was straight up fucking evil villain blueballs.

also weren't the bullies at the beginning turned into like zombies or something in one of the quests?
mewt was a little faggot who probably got picked on all the time and anywhere else was probably avoided and assumed the worst
it's stated that the world was mostly made to fulfill mewt's desires so anyone who doesn't fit into his new ideal world likely get the worst kind of treatment imaginable
all because that fucker mewt can't think about the consequences of his actions since he doesn't even know what's happening is real and not a dream because that thing pretending to be his resurrected mother is keeping him in a fog about everything

A little known idie game by the name of Nefarious has you assume the playable role of the villain Crow. Great humor, characters, and music. Story is okay, but the gameplay is "eh" at best. Check it out if you want, if you know about Brawl in the Family and Matthew Taranto some of the music is actually composed by him.

>also weren't the bullies at the beginning turned into like zombies or something in one of the quests?
Yeah, they're fought in a side quest near the end of the game or in post-game.

>100% evil scumbag
Evil is subjective

>You're an evil villain
>But you are also not and just the good guy who saves towns
Nah overlord was shit. Neat concept, piss poor execution.

Virgo vs the Zodiac has that premise but other than that I have no idea.

Look what happened to hatred and is not important

free publicity thanks to the controversies, even if the gameplay was underwhelming
also a GF from japan

Attached: Mr and Mrs Notimportant.jpg (500x500, 137K)

you're retarded

even worse when a game paints the protagonist as the villain even though they're doing the most logically correct thing possible

Attached: 726775.jpg (160x216, 7K)

That's why I hate the concept of hero shooters
>cringy Marys and Garys Sue
>but they must have a reason to fight against fellow heroes
Team Fortress 2 nailed it by making characters psychopathic mercenaries, that can do batshit insane stuff as part of their characters.

Because your ESRB rating take a +10 even if you aren't killing & making randos suffer more than the heroes do.
And there is next to no gameplay element that require or work a lot better with a villain character.
So it's literally a question of "are you willing to cut your sales by 10 just for a more creative story ?"