What was it like for you the first time you played a Souls game?

What was it like for you the first time you played a Souls game?

Attached: thelionking.jpg (2449x1225, 1.16M)

Fun!

>why am i doing so little damage?
>this combat is very unsatisfying

I died to Armored Spider, like a retard, a lot.

Last bed exploring every nook and cranny but I hated playing on new game plus, its just the same game again but with more damage taken and without the feeling of getting stronger and progressing.

I was a little confused about where to go but I managed to figure it all out. Then I found a Balder Side Sword and never looked back.

Attached: 1399161064513.jpg (715x614, 199K)

Scary, but fun. I've always been curious, so I died a lot. I still do.

DeS. For me it was frustrating until I got the big fucking cleaver with S Strength Scaling.
I remember having to use half Japanese translated wiki's to figure out basic things like how crafting worked and where the blacksmith even was as he was hidden in 2-1. You could go the whole game without finding him.

Good God.

You fags are pathetic; literally unable to move on from that game. Seek help, please.

Went into the first Dark Souls blind. Figured out how to kill that first boss and dropped it soon after I got to firelink.

A few months later a buddy was going through games of mine and he saw it and thought it looked cool. Told him I didn't really care for it but we can give it a go.

We traded on death and got consumed with the game. Played for hours and hours. Us being stuck dying over and over again at the main bonfire in undead burg was some of the most fun I've had in a game.

I ruined Demon's Souls for myself by having the wiki constantly open to guide me through everything.

amazing
I need to buy a ps3 to play demon's souls again
took me ages to get past armored spider, but then the game was ezpz

why?

I dunno I was retarded back then.

Never played them

It was fun, but i got pleb filtered by the undead burg, and didn't pick up the game for two years after that.

Got about a third way through DeS but never really quite got what was supposed to be so good about it. I didn't hate it or anything, it just never kept my interest.
Much the same happened when DaS came to PC, got to around the start of Anor Londo before giving up.

Then like a year later a friend of mine mentioned having just bought it and started talking about his time playing it, got me curious to try it again myself, and funnily enough while he ended up disliking it and stopping before even reaching the moonlight butterfly, for me it suddenly clicked and I really started to enjoy it.

Thinking about it I've had a lot of games I've tried playing like 3-4 times before they finally clicked, and they ended up being some of my favorite games of all time.

It was kino, played dark souls 1 for the first time very recently and it quickly became one of my favorite games.

"Oh it's like Metroid Prime, but D&D..."

hilarious, i was at a friend's house and he was stuck at the big wolf from das1, and i gave it a try, beat it on my 2nd try and roasted my friend for while because of that

Kind of! Except it's way better than Metroid prime. At least DaS1 is.

I wasted 2 characters before i learned DS

1st attempt
>Warrior class
>Tiny beig ring which turned out to be useless
>went under firelink shrine to New Londo and died
>Couldnt make It to Taurus demon cause i sucked
>Thought i had to Go to the catacombs First
>After many attempts to get to the. Bottom and leveling STR until i could 2 hand Zweihander exploring the catacombs finally i Gave up and went to te Undead burg
>When i got to the gargoyles my Warriors set Broke

Attempt 2

>Chose knight
>Fat Rolling
>Got to te depths
>Got cursed
>Gave up

3rd attempt

>Chose pyromancer
>Beat the game

Demon's Souls is one of my best gaming experiences. The just-right difficulty, the unique-ish well crafted gameplay, the creepy mystical world, it was just a perfect experience

Got killed by the third enemy and then filtered by the Chained Ogre

Oh come on, it's not that hard to go back to the parish to get cleansed. Depths aren't even that deep (which is based, btw)

gave up because i couldn't defeat taurus demon
6 months later i saw souls pvp video on youtube, picked it up again and never left the series since.

>second half of the game
Lmao no. Also DaS1 came out 8 years later, no excuse.

Drinking at a friend's house playing random shit when I see a copy of Demon's Souls in his game drawer. He tells me his friend is letting him borrow it and it's stupid hard and I'd probably like it. I couldn't believe a game like that existed and ended up buying a copy and a PS3.

I was kinda depressed at the time but Dark Souls took my mind somewhere else and unironically restored my love for video games.
If we're talking about what I did IN the game, I fatrolled my way to the Moonlight Butterfly and then took off all my armor when it wasn't working. I learned about the thresholds but I still wanted some chunky armor so leveled up my Endurance and got Smough's set. Cosplayed as him in Dark Souls 3 too.

The only part that still makes me furious is the run up the ramp to get into the back door of new londo (with the two fucks with the dragon bows) and the Ornstein and Smough fight (because I insist on killing the fat one first).

Let's not put prime on a pedestal here. As far as metroidvanias go, it's pretty subpar in the world design. Plus, theres
>Endgame artifact hunt
Can you really talk shit about the second half of DaS with THAT in your game?

>new londo
I meant anor londo

I ran into the graveyard and died over and over thinking that this must just be how the game is because everyone keeps saying how hard it is. I came back a few weeks later and realized my mistake. I had a good time with the game for about a hundred hours and then put it down never to play it again. The rest of the series is so identical to Dark Souls 1 that not a single one has held my interest, it's just playing the same game over again. The fans of this "series" are a bunch of shit eating retards on par with COD fans. As one game, it's fun, but as a series it's the most tedious shit imaginable.

>What the fuck, this is so easy
>Why was this hyped up to be some ultra hard game?
>Literally any triple A normie game on high/very high difficulty is harder

>dark souls
>get to undead parish
>got invaded
>realised the game is stack in favour of the invader
>die
>last bonfire was a long way back
>disconnect internet
>proceed to play through rest of the game and enjoyed it

Online invasion mechanic was such bullshit.

DaS1 single handedly renewed my interest in vidya when it came out. It had a lot to do with bulk of games back then we're rife with hand holding and treating the player like an idiot. It was refreshing as hell and I felt like a kid again. I felt similar vibes with BB and Sekiro.

Attached: 1560906929229.jpg (294x480, 15K)

I used a regular old Longsword and made my way through as a melee character because I'd heard it would be more fun that way. The feeling of slowly crawling through the Undead Parish, still clumsy with the controls and mechanics, was tense but exciting. I failed quite a few times at the Bell Gargoyles but eventually managed to make it through. I got invaded for the first time in the middle of the Depths (not Kirk, an actual player) and after a very drawn out battle I managed to win. I felt triumphant and noticed that my heart had been beating like crazy. I was stuck on Ornstein and Smough for a while and finally cheesed it by taking potshots with a bow and running away. Artorias's boss battle impressed me a lot.

Finally had something to talk about with the cool kids

Ok fuck I really cant play this with mouse and keyboard, guess Ill have to finally get a Controller after all

I went from running into the graveyard and getting rekt and uninstalling the game to pouring around 600-700 hours.

>tfw not figuring out how to parry or how humanity worked until the end of the game
wish i had the guts to pvp back then, the remaster was a blast while it was still active

Attached: 20180528221209_1.jpg (1920x1080, 471K)

I bashed my head against Tower Knight for what felt like forever. looked up a guide to beat him, and enjoyed the game from then on

Infuriating

Had this love/hate relationship with the game in my 3rd attempt i figured How the game worked and It was great

Easier than it was made out to be, but satisfying

>What was it like for you the first time you played a Souls game?
fun buuut then i started using a guide for all the secrets and ruined my first playthrough experience

Fun until blighttown, I felt like I had nowhere to go. Came back to it later, waded into the swampwater, suddenly I realized it was the best game of the generation (at least)

>Be average at PvP
>Invade in blighttown with lightning weapons and all stats invested in hp/endurance
>Lose like 5 out of 100 invasions

Truly balanced.

Attached: 1561750168261.jpg (398x500, 25K)

Yeah when dark souls clicks, there's just nothing like it.

Taken in by it's bleak but mystical atmosphere that I'd never really experienced before. Got my ass kicked by the blue eyed Knight of all people at the end of the dragon bridge and took a break, then my PS3 died. Couple years later returned to it and never looked back. Fuck DS2 and Fuck DS3 and Fuck Soulsfags

I didn't find undead burg at first and got my shit pushed in by ghosts and skeletons for an hour.

I got Demon Souls right after I got a PS3 not knowing anything about it, it was just on sale and I as looking for games. Spent multiple days on the first level getting wrecked thinking eventually I would figure it out, and when I bat phalanx I got really hyped at having taken down a boss on my first try. Then ran out onto the bridge and got destroyed by the dragon and lost all the Souls I had earned. Then I stopped playing for about a year. I came back after seeing some videos on it on Youtube and this time it all clicked for me.

Was dumbly addicted to Overwatch. Wanted to quit and was looking for a new series. Everyone here talked about soulsbournes, so I bought DS3. I played through Gundyr and had a lot of fun being bad at something that felt so huge and intimidating. Then I got a job and didn't play any vidya for like a year and a half and was generally happy.

Last spring, I started up DS3 again on a whim and because I was less busy. Loved it and pretty much played it every free minute I had until I beat it, then got DS1 (Remastered) and loved it as well. I only have a PC so I can't play Bloodbourne or Sekiro, but I am probably going to play 2 at some point.

I never played any souls game and never will
they're all shit for literal autists to compete who's more autistic

That kind of thing is exactly why the devs fucked invaders so hard in DaS3. From is seriously incapable of nerfing something without driving it completely into the ground.

It was like this

Attached: they see me rollin.webm (640x360, 2.94M)

DeS, bought it after seeing you fags go on about it being "AWESOMEEE". I was playing my PS3 through a CRT at the time as I didn't have a HD tv (it was launch)

long-ass loading screens, dark as shit, couldnt see anything. Wandering around castle grounds getting shit kicked out of me, very confused about the hub world.

Almost just gave up

As I got a bit further in I realised how amazing the level design was in the first castle area, and how fun/challenging the combat was, and the leveling. Got addicted quickly

I was playing online at first. I got to 4-1 or something and encountered my first PvP. I was a fucking newb, this guy had OBVIOUSLY min-maxed and read guides. He used a spell which immediately broke allll my armour, and I died. Took me ages to grind to fix all my armour. It was fucking dogshit

Played offline and had the best time since. No spoiler messages on the floor, no minmax guide-fags troll-wreking me.

Almost every soulsgame since has landed around my birthday, and has become my favourite series. Dark Souls 1 is the best though, exploration/level-design was unmatched

Going in blind is the best fun. No reviews/trailers/guides/playthroughs. BLIND.

Can't wait for elderring

My friend was always telling me stories of how hard Dark Souls was and he nagged me into buying a copy. I tried to go to the Catacombs first as I had zero fucking idea what I was doing. I was told the game was meant to be hard so I just assumed I was going the right way despite how much I was getting my ass kicked. When I killed Pinwheel and hit the Tomb of the Giants, I texted my friend telling him I beat the first boss only for him to laugh and tell me I'm fucking retarded and went in wrong direction. It sure did make the path to the first bell easy as fuck tho.

Sekiro is on PC my man.

Lightning Teostra was a cool boss while also dicking magic/lightning builds.

The only way they fucked invaders was making people with co-op partners a priority so people playing solo would get less invasions. If a solo player gets invaded he'll still be fighting against someone stronger than him if the invader takes use of lategame rings.

I'm pretty sure 70% of my deaths came from falling into bottomless pits. Unsurprisingly, the Bell Gargoyles and the Iron Golem were my most frustrating/least favorite bosses. I never found the painted world DLC and I still haven't gone back and played it.

I played Dark Souls on PC right on release with mouse and keyboard and without DSfix
was close to stopping like 10 times in the first 2 hours because the port was such bullshit but I powered through

It was great because I just wanted more king's field and this gave me that but in third person.

This. Tried 3 different times to play ds1, hated it. I finally got it though,and love the game. It's a great feeling once you finally get gud and destroy enemies that used to pound you.

yo this is the best news I've gotten this week '
don't know how the fuck I missed that

Demon's was quite hard and took me around 3 hours to beat the first boss. Had to drop the game for a month before trying it again. Had a blast after that.
Dark was kinda shit, but started being fun after a while.

so what does that say about you then?

felt like a child again, it was a very good run and something unique in its kind

Attached: + (10).jpg (1024x489, 99K)

Demon's Souls at release was almost otherworldly in its atmosphere and gameplay style. There really wasn't anything like it. Even though I sucked at it and never actually finished until years later when I beat Dark Souls and went back to it. Dark Soul had the same atmosphere but felt pnot as fresh and new.

I started with Bloodborne. I didn't see where you got the starting weapons, so I kept trying over and again to karate chop my way through the first street of Yharnam. I also skipped Old Yharnam because I didn't realize you had to open the door to it twice to get in.

My first was Bloodborne as a teen. I fucking died so many times in the first courtyard alone, I was so bad at the game back then it was unbelievable. I had to keep googling how to clear every little segment of the game, because I was incapable of doing so. The hardest game for me of all time. However it was my favourite game of all time, despite spoiling everything for myself in order to progress in the game, rather than be stuck on hard enemies and bosses. I have now got the hang of soulsborne games, so the other ones were hard, but not impossible like Bloodborne. Playing Sekiro now, and it is fucking destroying me, easily second most difficult game ever, but I now commit myself not to google everything about the game in order to progress, the only time I google is if I've been stuck on a miniboss or boss for hours. I absolutely love the game though.

I always enjoyed the exploration aspect. The art style of da1 was interesting.

Also, going down the hole in ds2 for the first time gave me kino skin

>My first was Bloodborne as a teen.
h-How old are you now?

20. It's been 4 years user.

Like trying to masturbate by slamming my dick in a sliding glass door.

sekiro is weird, lots of people claim its easier than souls, but i had a harder time with it.

Attached: 1556264011529.jpg (1024x576, 55K)

I was running around new londo yelling fuck cause i didnt know that was a high level area

>Fucking hell why is everything hit so hard

I loved pressing the roll button a bunch and occasionally pressing the attack button! Great gameplay!

It forced me to learn to play video games with a clear mind and taught me that doing the same shit over and over again is the most retarded thing you can do while playing video games.
Reminder that if you actually felt anger at DaS or any fromsoft game for that matter, you probably have below average IQ.

Attached: 1464731339475.png (500x417, 362K)

>Shit I hate animtaion locking
>Fuck this is so slow and unsatisfying
>I hate this game
A few hours later
>Shit I fucking love animation locking
>Fuck this is so slow and impactful
>I love this game

god tier atmosphere, good rpg elements, decent story, shit gameplay

After watching friends play through what looked like a very difficult and complex game I got around to trying myself and having a lot of fun. I can't imagine the series having the same appeal if I didn't get to watch people play it first, back in the early days when even getting through Undead Burg was an effort

Streamers aren't your friends, loser.

I beat sen's fortress in a single run because I never found the bonefire

i hated it at first.
bought demons on a whim around 2010 after seeing people discussing it here and seeing it for $20.
played a bit, died a bunch, put it down for a few months
after playing everything else i had, i decided to give it another go, worked my way up to tower knight, died more than a few times, finally got him to fall, celebrated, then he landed on me and killed me.
been in love with the series since.

I think people who never parried like me and probably you found Sekiro brutal. I find it instinctively easier to dodge attacks, which is why I find Souls easier, but Sekiro forces me to parry, which is difficult for me.