Is there some sort of complete idiot's guide to DaS1...

is there some sort of complete idiot's guide to DaS1? I can never get farther than Blighttown without feeling like I've completely fucked myself over statswise and would be better off just deleting the save and starting over. Had hoped that my current attempt would turn out better, but then the little firebreathing dogs two-shotted me.

Attached: das1.jpg (256x330, 55K)

Other urls found in this thread:

youtube.com/playlist?list=PLxmuWDL8I2gBl26WqbZQk4RJaw2uT3Yg6
youtube.com/watch?v=ExuIV4DhK6M&list=PLa0g0FxZDXl8AFeHM4aYlYHnQm2lbq1di&index=2&t=0s.
twitter.com/NSFWRedditImage

You might be retarded.

How do you fuck yourself stats-wise? I'm on my first playthrough at a bonfire in blight town and I haven't noticed anything

If you restart because of the tiniest problems in the stats then you're beyond helping.

As long as you don't level Resistance there's nothing to worry about it, it's not like there's a cap.

Just pump vit, end, and str and you win the game

unless you're leveling resistance it's pretty hard to fuck yourself statwise desu, just get whatever stats you need to wield the weapon you wanna use and then pump health and stamina.
Alternatively roll a sorcerer and breeze through the game.

Probably not what's happening to you, but just to be sure, are you going to blighttown through New Londo and Valley of Drakes? You might be very underleveled for that zone right now.

Do you want to use big weapons?
>level str
Do you want to use weeb shit and rapiers?
>level dex
Do you want to dodge good?
>level endurance
Do you want to tank more shit?
>level vit
Do you want to do absolutely nothing?
>level Res

the other stats are for fags

>roll a sorcerer
>breeze through the game

Attached: laughing-orson.jpg (300x370, 26K)

by this point there are about 1000 guides on youtube for every step of this game, you are shit, and your thread is shit.

>want to do absolutely nothing?
>level Res
on that note, what's it meant to handle anyway? poison/bleed?

Babby's guide:
>Get drake sword (there are guides for this)
>But also get another weapon
>Get 2nd weapon to +10 before embarking into Sen's Fortress, switch to it at that point and never use drake sword again
>Level up vit you fucking idiot

Post a screenshot of your stats and a screenshot of your current equipment.I can't remember what the screen actually looks like so if it's not visible in the screenshot also tell us what upgrade level your weapon is at.

>drake sword
one of many things about this game that I'll never understood. it's meant to be a crutch weapon for people who're struggling with the game, but why would someone like that even try to fight the dragon in the fist place?

it also raises defense against all damage but it's negligible in comparison to just having a bigger stamina pool/being able to wear better armor or just having more health

If you need help, there's plenty of guides and other players can be summoned too. Just don't give up, you can do this.

>get drake sword

look at this pleb not getting the Dark Knight Sword drop

Level up strength and vitality. That's it. Dark souls on easy mode.

Yeah obviously if you get any black knight weapon you just use that for the rest of the playthrough

Yeah I've heard that sorcerer is easy mode, but it's really not unless you know what you're doing. I basically only leveled intelligence and went full glass cannon, had a lot of fun but some parts were hell for me cause I couldn't take any hits

>there's plenty of guides and other players can be summoned too
Nah, I feel stupid enough just asking for help like this. I'd sooner give up on the game entirely than resort to wikis or summoning.

Dark Souls is really fun only when you are playing it wrong.

I had fun playing it right and wrong

>very first playthrough I buffed INT just so I could learn a shield buff spell to fight Bed of Chaos with my medium

that was back before Bed was patched to be a bearable and my strategy worked but jesus christ what was I doing

Dark Souls is the kind of game you should play blind from start to finish. Ruining your first run with guides would utterly ruin the point the game tried to make.

Attached: 1531157165860.jpg (1280x720, 403K)

Don't. It's a cryptic game that requires a lot of out of the box thinking. It's okay to feel stuck and stressed, but you don't have to go through it alone.

there are billions of people that finished the game at lvl 1

that's fine and all, but he should at least know not to level RES

I did DS3 on SL1 recently, it was almost as cool and hard as going blind for the fist time.

Yeah I agree, I went through my first playthrough pretty much blind. Felt great to finally beat it

It's your non diagnosed crippling anxiety user get fucked

Drake Sword isn't even good, it has no scaling and most new players won't find the dragon scales to upgrade it until way later than it gets outscaled by normal weapons. It's only really stronger than average right when you find it, but even then a battle axe + 2 or something will have almost as much damage and you can put lightning resin on it to shit on Gargoyles.

It's pretty much impossible to actually fuck up your character hard enough to make the game difficult
Don't level Resistance, don't put more than 40 or so into any stats, focus on Vitality if you're getting 1 or 2 hit regularly, Endurance if you can't swing your weapon as many times as you need, and then strength/dex/int/faith depending on what weapons you're using. In general, upgrading your weapon is more important than leveling your damage stats.

If you're struggling it's probably because you're approaching situations in the wrong way.

>In general, upgrading your weapon is more important than leveling your damage stats
what about upgrading my shield and equipment?

Fighting Cowboy on youtube has a good guide for plebs.

1. Kill merchant in Undead Berg
2. Get Uchigatana, keep it vanilla, not elemental
3. Level DEX, VIT and END
4. Win game

Not very, you should be avoiding damage more than tanking it. Shields are plenty strong at base level, but they get more stability when you upgrade them so you can block more/stronger attacks without getting guardbroken, but generally the way things work out is that attacks that are big enough to guardbreak you are slow enough that you can recover and just block the next thing anyway.
Blocking and rolling are both pretty overpowered. If your equip load is more than 50% either upgrade Endurance more or use lighter shit, then try to roll through attacks more often than just getting hit.

>2. Get Uchigatana, keep it vanilla, not elemental
Wrong
Get it on the chaos path and wreck everything

I did a SL7 run with the uchi before doing SL1. Uchi is great

>but even then a battle axe + 2 or something will have almost as much damage
not even close, only becomes better with resins
and yeah a new player COULD try resins but more likely than not they're going to die while wasting the limited resins they have before gargs and then get stuck with 0 resins and a shittier weapon
OR they could just unga bunga their way to sen's, get a proper weapon ready, and have a bunch of leftover resins for the actually difficult content like sen's and anor londo
you could arguably make the switch as soon as you gain access to charcoal resins as a buyable but I'd still recommend drake sword for parish/lower burg since you can't buy any at that point

OP is a retard, he can't get a Chaos weapon

Moonlight greatsword is best souls weapon.

You don't fight the dragon to get it, you notice his tail hanging down and plink at it like a coward because you think you can kill him without fighting that way and the game gives you the sword when the tail falls off

>Ruining your first run
it isn't my first run. I've started and abandoned more characters than I care to remember, and I still don't feel like I "get" what I've been doing wrong.

Get a sword do str and dex, get a greatsword, greataxe or greathammer do str, get a katana or other slash do dex. Straight swords have a fairly bare minimum effort moveset. So go strength and dexterity. Unless you want to not go quality, just do a greatsword. Strength and why not faith or some shit.

I think endurance raises bleed resistance. Been a while since I've played Dark Souls 1.

I wish they had a black knight longsword instead of two greatswords.

they're too beefy for longswords

I’ll give you a tip bro, Dark Souls is actually that hard. Yeah it’s unforgiving and the bosses require near perfection but you can beat it with almost any build. For fucks same people do level 1 runs

>the bosses require near perfection
>you can beat it with almost any build. For fucks same people do level 1 runs
How can you even post this when you just instantly contradicted yourself

Should just take the lightning spear you get in the fortress.

A base level drake sword has 200 damage
A +2 battle axe at 20 strength 2handed has 160 damage
By the time you're at Sens it'll be at least +5 and you'll have more strength and the battleaxe will actually outdamage the drake sword, even if you're a guidereading faggot and have got a couple dragon scales.

That's easily enough damage to plow through the early game, you 1hit most hollows and shit like rats, and if somehow you aren't able to beat shit with it the drake sword isn't going to help you. Parish and Burg are basically just extended tutorial sequences, they're there to introduce you to a few different enemy types and get you to learn stuff like staying out of enemy ranges and recognizing animations.

The drake sword is awful by the time you're in Sen's, thats almost halfway through the game. That's how you get the noobs that "upgrade" to the lightning spear and then are still using it against O&S

Instead, you can just use a real weapon, deal slightly less but still more than sufficient damage early and actually scale along with the content as you find more upgrade materials.

If you really want to trivialize the game you just get the zweihander in the first 30 seconds anyway.

as other people have stated you can't really fuck yourself stat wise sl1 runs are pretty common place. start with the master key and enter blight town from the other side, its a lot easier.

The Drake sword is only useful for garg's and Moonlight Butterfly, and killing Lautrec early. If you level properly and get the right weapon you'll be just fine after a little while. But it can carry you early game really well.

Stats don't really matter. What you really need is to reinforce your weapons. Your DPS will double or even triple.
There are SO many ways to cheese shit in this game. For example, you can use shield + spear or rapier and block all the incoming damage and attack at the same time. You can use pyromancies and just reinforce your flame without investing any stat, and deal tremendous damage, killing most enemies in one hit. You can use bow or crossbow, reinforce it or even modify for elemental damage and attack anything at 100% safe distance. Black Knight weapons are overpowered. DEX builds are cheese, STR builds are cheese, INT builds are cheese. Leveling Vitality is cheesing, so is kindling bonfires. Just get good.

You wouldn't be having second thoughts about your build if you weren't reading guides/wikis. You ruined the game for yourself, good job retard

I think he meant that it's extremely challenging but fair.

I've killed half the bosses and Lautrec with a Club. Yeah, that weapon that costs like 200 souls. Starting weapons can be very powerful.

so I should probably just write the game off as a total loss and move onto something else, then

All memes aside dark souls is not a hard game and does not require mechanical skill in the least. You can literally facetank bosses while chugging 20 estus.
If someone is having trouble it's probably because they're forcing themself to use 1337 speedrun strats which actually do require mechanical skill. Don't stick to a single weapon, you can easily upgrade a handful and pick the one that utterly trivializes whatever enemy you're facing.

Probably yeah, if you can't just enjoy an immersive experience and instead compulsively need to check wikis as you play like a complete autist then Souls is not for you.

>You can literally facetank bosses while chugging 20 estus.
Only if you are overleveled. Armor doesn't help against big hits, only helps powering through them with high poise. I'd say you NEED mechanical skills, because you need to learn how your weapon works: the timing of attacks. It takes me a couple of hours (or less) and should take no more than 15 hours for an average person - and that's for difficult, unwieldy weapons. After that, it's a piece of cake, provided you are OVERleveled.

All standard weapons upgraded with regular titanite are strong. You can only really potentially cuck yourself with unique weapons and elemental upgrade paths.

The guide is: just keep going as it's all in your head. Read what the game says, apply some lateral thinking, but remember that persistence and personally fuelled practice, exploration and experimentation with intent to improve ultimately leads to succeeding.

>overlevelled
You don't need a lot of levels. Just dump everything in vitality, since you don't need other stats. You do plenty of damage without upgrading strength beyond what you need to use your weapon and you don't need lots of stamina since it refills while you chug estus. All you need to do is press attack and the estus button. You don't need precise timing for comboing attacks or dodging or parrying or anything like that unless you're handicapping yourself.

bruh the point of my post was that i don't need help

instead of starting over imagine if you had spend that time leveling up your character, you would have an extra 300 hitpoints to save you from getting two shotted

>but then the little firebreathing dogs two-shotted me
but that's a normal thing unless you go full havels or something in that zone. you usually die from 3-4 hits at most in dark souls, what the fuck have you even been playing for the last 4 or so hours?
kill yourself op your stats are likely alright and you're just a fucking shitter unwilling to put up a fight

>it's meant to be a crutch weapon for people who're struggling with the game

according to who? just because people use it that way and it has bad scaling doesn't mean that was the intent. plenty of weapons have bad scaling.

there's a difference between giving people tips on items, story, routing etc, and stat distribution etc. The game does not tell you about a lot of things, and while in most cases this is fine, in some cases it makes people's experience worse. Soft caps are a prime example of this.

I kinda doubt softcaps could actually ruin someone's playthrough.
By the time you put 40 points into any one stat, you now have a character that you can easily beat the game with.
Resistance is the exception I think everyone agrees FromSoft shit the bed with that one.

You can see stats going up on the level-up screen so why would that be a problem?
As far as 'things that are good to know' go I can only think of the equip burden rolling breakpoints and you'll probably figure that out yourself fairly easily

The game does tell you about soft caps by showing you the effect every level has on your stats.

Why is he so perfect?

Attached: lautrec-concept.jpg (536x832, 39K)

Exactly. It's just one of the dragon weapons, which are all tail cuts, and all have zero scaling and a special-effect for R2.

Get a black knight weapon, get the minimum stat requirements for it, get ring of favor and havel's ring, wear the heaviest armor you can below 50% equip load, pump vitality, followed by endurance, and there you go. Easy mode.

Some of the scaling details can be very helpful. For example understanding that a normal club will never outdamage a reinforced club despite the normal club having a higher scaling rating is a useful thing to know but isn't at all obvious just from looking at the stats go up at level-up.

>get a black knight weapon
It's just that simple right user?

There is literally the Dumbshits guide to Dark Souls on youtube if you want everything spoiled.
youtube.com/playlist?list=PLxmuWDL8I2gBl26WqbZQk4RJaw2uT3Yg6

That's probably the hardest part, but it shouldn't take you longer than 30 minutes if you look up a guide.

DKs are retardedly easy to parry. It's almost not fair to them. I got a BK sword from the very first fucking one you roll up on in the Undead Burg

I couldn't even get past the second stage. Couldn't get past the skeletons at the graveyeard or the ghosts down below. After struggling with it for two days I gave up and never looked back.

>kill yourself op your stats are likely alright and you're just a fucking shitter unwilling to put up a fight
I'll grant you the part about me being a shitter, but if I were unwilling to put up a fight I would have just move on to another game instead of starting and then scrapping all those characters.

You should watch this comfy and really helpful walkthrough. I watched it back in the day and its so comfy and nostalgic. There is something serene about watching dark souls.

youtube.com/watch?v=ExuIV4DhK6M&list=PLa0g0FxZDXl8AFeHM4aYlYHnQm2lbq1di&index=2&t=0s.

If your autism is making you worry about your stats why not try playing through the game without leveling? Instead of trying to survive things you shouldn't survive you could think about killing those enemies without getting hit (e.g. with ranged attacks).

>is there some sort of complete idiot's guide to DaS1?
Pretty much. Peruse pic related and commit it to memory and you'll be fine. I would also highly suggest you understand how weapon upgrading works and try to maxmimize your damage with whatever you choose to main at all times. So many new players don't do this and wonder why every boss fight turns into a marathon when they only do 23 damage per hit.

Attached: DaStips.jpg (746x746, 328K)

You're just fucking with me now, aren't you?

I'm serious, it's a really common challenge that people do once they finish a normal playthrough. Even with this restriction there's plenty of ways to beat enemies and bosses without requiring mechanical skill and I think it's more interesting to treat the game as a puzzle and search for these solutions than it is to crush every enemy with sheer power.

heres how i beat the souls games
>kill enemies in area till i get to the end
>run through the area without killing anything, just running past monsters straight to the boss
>eventually kill boss

if you get to a boss that you can't beat, then merely backtrack to the last boss you could beat, and white phantom help people until you have as many souls as you need to level up

>I can never get farther than Blighttown without feeling like I've completely fucked myself over statswise and would be better off just deleting the save and starting over.
It's almost impossible to fuck yourself over statswise in Dark Souls, unless you level resistance and kill an important NPC (I know a dumbass who leveled faith but killed Andre).

Every stat spread is viable you just need to choose the right gear and spells.

wtf ive beaten this game 4 times now and gotten to blight town 7 times how the fuck did you rape your stats that early do you even know what kinda weapon you wanna use

People beat the game at lv1. You just seem autistic, OP.

It's an incredibly hidden weapon that makes the game negligble as fuck until O&S. Imagine actually thinking using it on a first playthrough is a good idea

Late reply, but also don't do like me and keep the Fire Keeper Souls, don't use them.

Just alternate between whatever stat(s) impact your build, vitality, and endurance. Don't put anything into Resistance and don't spread your build too thin. Also pay attention to your equipment load for the purposes of rolling.