Yea Forums used to be anti-random crit

>Yea Forums used to be anti-random crit
>glowing hat man says random crits are bad
>Yea Forums now loves random crits
Do you guys have any organic opinions or do you just dislike whatever the status quo is? Look what glowing hat man said. Do you still want exploiters to keep their hats?

Attached: 7uncle dane.png (697x195, 105K)

>playing tf2 competitively

Attached: getout.jpg (526x567, 74K)

What does competitive TF2 have anything to do with this thread?

>caring about anything some youtube faggot says

Not really
>glowing hat man says random crits are bad
Who?
>Yea Forums now loves random crits
Not really

>revisionist history newfag
>pretending to not like the faggot who is inevitably brought up every. single. time. discussion about crits occurs
Trying too hard.

i dont really mind having random crits or not, but i think they should stay in some way in the game because theyre really a pretty recognizable mechanic which leads to often hilarious scenes.
i just love when sometimes a soldier just blows up every with a random crit or being a medic and bitch slapping someone with a crit with my ubersaw. it adds to the quirky nature of the game.
the way it is now is great, give the casual random crits to fuck around and remove them from competitive for all the competitive autists to have a fair match

Not really was correct though

I haven't changed my opinion on crits ever.
Games are fun when they're balanced, regardless if it's serious play or not.
If I wanted to win/lose due to RNG I'd play a game of dice.

I literally have no idea who this is.
But yeah, people should keep their dumb hats.

i really dont know how do people never notice videos of tf2 youtubers in their recommended?
maybe its just me because i watch sfm animations

Maybe, who knows? But I've certainly never seen this guy or any other TF2 youtuber pop up before

Trying to say Yea Forums as a whole has always been anti random crit is just as dumb as saying people are only anti random crit because of an idiotic e-celeb's video.
People have always had mixed opinions about it.
Stop being retarded for once in your life.

Attached: stoppretendingdumbass.png (412x234, 65K)

>Yea Forums
>is
>one
>person

The only people who don't like random crits are comp fags. Random crits are a defining feature of Tf2 that prevent staleness.

>Yea Forums is one person
Yeeesh

Multiple people with the same hivemind opinion.

>Yea Forums
>anti-random crits
you surely missed out on all those funny strips regarding random crits

>playing any video game competitively

wow that sounds fun doing the same thing over and over

Is it true that guy started in 2013? Why trust the opinion of a fucking F2P?

i really do remember a lot of guys there despite not watching many of their videos if any:
soundsmith
lazypurple
uncle dane (the guy in the op)
arrayseven
mrpaladin

i think theres still someone else worth pointing out.
>why do u watch tf2 e-celebs
i dont watch them now except on rare occasions if they make a video on an interesting topic.
I remember gobbling up all this stuff before because of all the shitflinging, i could still learn a lot of tips and tricks with different classes, if watching for that it might still be benefitial.
also those videos usually werent gameplay footage only, some visual represantation with animations and editing really makes it pretty digestable

This might just be the dumbest thing ever said on Yea Forums.
Crits make every enemy encounter reduced to a game of chance. Winning/losing with crits means nothing to people who aren't entertained by rattling keys. It's not fun for anyone involved and is just a waste of everyone's time.

This is coming from someone who has never played tf2 competitivelty.

my favorite is HiGPS
>small channel
>autistic enough to put effort on everything
>simple enough to enjoy the dumb aspects of the game and the users

I've disliked crits since before the game even had a comp scene you retard

Sometimes Yea Forums might as well be one person, and you can watch the hivemind realize it's a hivemind and try to flip to the opposite opinion because it's in denial.
TF2 crits isn't one of those things though.

>because of all the shitflinging, i could still learn a lot of tips and tricks with different classes
and despite all of the shitflinging, you can still learn a lot of tips and tricks with different classes*

Wrong. If that were true you could never get good at the game, or dominate, because every encounter is a game of chance.

That's cause you're a fag.

Durr rng bad is a recent fad, nobody was whining about basic mechanics 8 years ago.

>Wrong. If that were true you could never get good at the game, or dominate, because every encounter is a game of chance.
Are you serious right now? Did you even think before you typed that out?

>Wrong. If that were true you could never get good at the game, or dominate, because every encounter is a game of chance.
This. Typical tourneyfag mindset. In a fair situation I would never lose. But I lose quite often, therefore the game is not fair.

terminally retarded, we'll have to put him down

>nobody was whining about basic mechanics 8 years ago.
t. underage that was too young to remember anything from 8 years ago

A history revisionist at work I see.

Absolutely not. What was actually happening:
>Yea Forums agreed (and still does) that the sort of randomly assigned damage spikes had no real place in a competitive format

Competitive has fallen out of favor, since it is apparently one of the things tying TF2 down, so you (a gigantic dick gargling faggot) looked at these sentiments and drew your retardedly incorrect conclusion.

Attached: loli of disappointment gazes in your direction.jpg (405x371, 135K)

My issue with crits is that they arent balanced evenly between classes. Soldier and demoman get a crit on their primary and its an instant kill with improved area of effect. Pyro crits for a 50% dps increase on a target that was probably dead anyway.

They should add a mechanic to Street Fighter where any of your punches can randomly stun your opponent for a free combo/super. Makes things more dynamic and fun.

now tell me how nobody on this site was racist before 2016

I honestly wish the hats remained tradable and the economy burned because of it. I was hoping this would serve as a wakeup call to everyone for how fucking stupid this shit is. People aren't going to learn what a fucking waste of time and money these lootbox items are unless shit like this comes around and bites everyone who participated in it in the ass in a big way.

I've thought random crits were stupid ever since I first started playing in 2009, but the only game mechanic I despise with all my heart is autobalance. It is not a necessary evil. It is, in fact, completely unnecessary if matchmaking did its job.

Attached: autobalance.png (1247x1538, 3.16M)

>Yea Forums is one person

Count how many of your deaths are by crits in your average match. If you're a GOOD player, you'll find that nearly ALL of them are crits. That's not to say that you can't die in the game without crits, but it means that you know when to fall back, and these deaths would not have happened without RNG or more aggressive play. If a tryhard dies to non crits, they own up to it.

Matchmaking in general is just vile

Autobalance wouldn't be as big of a problem in the first place if it weren't for matchmaking.

I pretty much stopped playing outside of the party van because I was pretty much only dying to random crits which is just fucking boring

Honestly, I love autobalance. I know what you're saying, but valve tried matchmaking only, and it never worked.
Now that you're not allowed to switch teams on the fly, getting autobalanced for some VS fun is welcome by me.

While I haven't played TF2 since around the time they released that vs Machine thing, I've never minded crits. To me they have just never been either a problem or something I like. It could be removed or left in and my feelings would remain neutral on the subject. Sure it sucks being killed by a crit, but I have also been saved by them quite a few times, so for me it kinda evens out.

It would be acceptable if we still had the option of simply selecting a 22/24 server from the Quickplay server browser, which is why I propose we bring back old pubs and restore the current Casual mode to the more competitive version that it was when it first came out on July 7th, 2016 (no autobalance, stopwatch mode for a/d and payload). Maybe have some options for 6 vs 6, 9 vs 9, and 12 vs 12, but you need to just bring back old pubs for this all to work. The current Competitive Mode just straight up needs to be thrown out. It doesn't work because of the directX 9.0 restriction, and people are so turned off by it that they need to just start over with something new so that people will even give it a chance.

Yea Forums is full of normalfags and casuals now

They need to make it voluntary again, but actually ask EVERYONE on the team when there's an imbalance. In the prior system, it feels like they asked just asked a few random people. I remember seeing a 4-player imbalance for about 5 minutes one time, and they never asked me if I wanted to switch. Sometimes, I would love switching over to help out the other team. Other times, like when our team is steam rolling, communicating well, and about to cap the final point, I don't want to be switched. Guess which times I usually get switched now that it's not voluntary anymore.

>If you're a GOOD player, you'll find that nearly ALL of them are crits.
That's a straight lie. Granted, pretty much every unexpected death is caused by random crits, but any decent player takes into account the possibility of random crit damage before taking the next step.
If you're a good player playing against other good players, you'll die even voluntarily. Watch any top player, even pubstumping they'll die more times doing dumb shit that with random crits.

Attached: hay man.png (760x540, 399K)

>That's a straight lie.
What. I have whole matches where literally all my deaths are by crits and I keep track of them almost autistically because I'm so sick of it.
>any decent player takes into account the possibility of random crit damage before taking the next step.
Of course they do cayse they're there all the time. You cannot not take that into account. You'll get one shot, or you don't. As simple as that.
>If you're a good player playing against other good players, you'll die even voluntarily.
Yes that would happen, if crits doesn't get to you first, but they always do long before a fair fight can play out. It does happen sometimes. Keyword was "almost" always crits.
>Watch any top player, even pubstumping they'll die more times doing dumb shit that with random crits.
In my experience I haven't seen them die to anything but crits unless it's a no crit server.

>any decent player takes into account the possibility of random crit damage before taking the next step
but that's bad game design if you ask me because, on occasion, it rewards the gibus engi blindly walking into a crowd of people to get a 195 wrench crit on someone and immediately dying.

>any decent player takes into account the possibility that the next attack will instagib them for no reason
Is that supposed to be a good thing?

Have they still not come to a conclusion about what they are gonna do with these hats? That is hilarious.

Then don't let the 125 hp support class hit you with a goddamn wrench. Literally no direct combat class should let him do that. And you should expect medic and engi to get more crits due to the way random crits work.

important question, are you playing objective or are you just worried about styling over bad players? because, if you're playing objective, I assure you'll die more times due to your team's incompetence than to random crits.
I'm not saying it's good game design, I'm just saying that's how decent players roll with said mechanic.

Yeah, but you're missing the point. What if the player that the dumb engi crit was a Medic at 99% uber doing the right thing and following his team up to the objective. He's doing the right thing and gets disincentivised from doing it again, and the gibus engi just got it in his brain that running blinding into a pack of enemies is a good strat since it worked that one time.

>yer that the dumb engi crit was a Medic at 99% uber doing the right thing and following his team up to the objective. He's doing the right thing and gets disincentivised from doing it again, and the gibus engi just got it in his brain that running blinding into a pack of enemies is a good strat since it worked that one time
and the crit is to blame for that?

So you are literally invincible unless it's a crit, but not on a no-crit server where suddenly your invincibility wears off and you join the ranks of mortal men. Am I getting this right? Go fuck yourself.

I would say, yeah, because the medic got one shot by a 125 hp support class who his team couldn't kill in time before he got one swing off. 65 HP is a lot different from 195 HP.

and an engie somehow reaching a 90+% uber charge medic is like a normal thing? surely the medic isn't to blame, or the team, or the classes that are supposed to take out/neutralize engies, right?
keep in mind, a central point in this conversation is "good" players and how they play

>are you playing objective or are you just worried about styling over bad players?
It's a mixed bag. It's true I worry to much about my stats so I play it safe most of the time in which case I only die to crits, but I eventually have to play the objective, cause there are plenty of times when no one else will. Of course throwing myself head first into danger on purpose does result in some non-crit deaths. Those are fair and I own up to those.

I never said that. Feel free to read my posts anytime.

random spread is worse

>Random crits keep the game from getting stale
Of course, random crit defenders are people that don't like TF2 in the first place.
I've never played two games of TF2 that were the same in nearly 8,000 hours, not once have I thought the game was stale.

>turn on voice chat
>squealers and wannabe “personalities” instantly assault my ears, trying to make jokes or act like they know the game when they stop for 2 minutes trying to figure out a basic function of the game
>turn off voice chat

I was always against random crits, because they never feel fun.

>and an engie somehow reaching a 90+% uber charge medic is like a normal thing?
Again, no, that shouldn't happen often, but keep in mind the scope of the situation. A good team will kill that Engi in 99.9% of scenarios before he kills the Medic IF there are no random crits, which is what should happen. An engi who's swinging his melee for 65 damage hits would have to hit a healthy medic 3 times to kill him. This would probably never happen, as it never should happen. However, in the same situation WITH random crits, all it takes is one hit.

An engi has 125 HP, so one rocket will not be enough to kill him, neither will 1 meatshot from a scout, neither will one pipe from a Demo, neither will 1 second of direct fire from a Pyro, or a non-revved up Heavy. This gives the Engi enough of an opening to get that 195 HP crit swing in before he's killed off, even by a team that's fully aware, because of the conditions I listed above. Bad game design.

Random crits are fun. Suck my testes

Which part? Being robbed of the chance of winning a challanging and fair battle, or the 14+ second long respawn timer you were randomly given?

>IF there are no random crits
even with random crits, there's a whole process that engie went through in order to reach that medic
you're blaming a considerable lack of perception on a mechanic that most people with awareness know how to deal with, ffs the medic is faster than the engie

fuck this piece of shit, he did defend MYM update, said that it will bring back to life community servers. stupid fuck, brainless cunt, i hope he fucking dies. and btw fuck community servers as well, fucking cancer shit.

That's true, too. All in all, I don't feel very strongly about removing random crits. I'm fine with theym staying. They open up some big plays that are exciting. Only issue I feel strongly about is removing autobalance.

Of course people were racist on this site before 2016 they just didn't act like fucking furries about it.

yeah there it is thanks

>challenging and fair battle
>on maps that benefit certain classes
>on game modes that favor one side
>on servers full of people playing anything but the objective
>with a community known for quitting after getting autobalanced
I'm starting to think people think statistically doing good = challenging and fair.

Stop acting like a dindu you fucking faggot.

That doesn't change anything I said, for it applies in any situation. The game may be assymetrical, but it's fairly well balanced outside of crits.

>fair and challenging match
>top player gets autobalanced
>game goes to shit
are you sure you want to weight it all on random crits?

what the hell are you on about? It's you who brought all that other irrellevant shit up. I only ever argued that crits end fair fights and is not fun for anyone involved because of that. I never said that that unfair fights can't happen without crits. Even though 90% of them are because of them.

It's far more common for a match to go downhill after autobalance than after some random crit.

And I'm okay with that cause it's fair and balanced. I wouldn't enjoy winning on a stacked team.

>make your own server
>turn off crits
Alternatively, going full DEMOCRACY:
>make your own server
>start vote on crits every mapchange
>majority decides if they want it or not

But of course, who would know anything about making your own server - it's a GAME, and games are fully and entirely controlled by their developers, and there is absolutely no way that a game may be changed without word of god from above.

>fair and challenging match goes downhill after autobalance
>that's fair and balanced
hmm

If the match needed an autobalance, then it clearly wasn't fair or balanced.

>afk player finally gets kicked out
>replace it with a top player from the other team
>fair and balanced
hmm

>And I'm okay with that cause it's fair and balanced.
Not him, but are you actually kidding me? What's not fair and balanced about the better team earning their win?

Autobalancing almost never sways the result of the match for many, many reasons.

>but any decent player takes into account the possibility of random crit damage before taking the next step
user, I don't care about the whole crit debacle(though I lean more on the "keep crits" side), but your argument is retarded. If you have to consider that you might die to every scout with a pistol far away and Heavy's minigun as well, random rocket critting you all the time, the only winning move is not leave spawn without uber.
What a horrible way to think about the game

Yes, both teams having the same amount of players is the definition of fair and balanced.
There is no amount of willful idiocy or mental gymnastics you can pull that will make this not the case.