Are gaming laptops worth it?

Attached: dims.jpg (1582x1054, 238K)

No.
t. fell for the meme

If you get a good laptop they are pretty sweet but still more expensive.

M....S....I
The only way to go bro.

They're good if you aren't a NEET and never home for a regular tower pc

My keyboard keys became unresponsive after an update and I've heard the same problem happened to others as well. Fuck MSI and fuck me for falling for the laptop meme

yes

This.
>Low battery life
>Low memory
>Low storage space
>Graphics still can’t hold up even after all the sacrifices
I got mine like 3 years ago as a birthday present in sophomore year of high school. I don’t want my parents to get mad that I want to get rid of it. They think it’s also a good computer for school. Holy hell how wrong they are.

If you get a really good one it can last you a while. I got one for christmas in 2013 and it lasted me up to october of last year when my nvidia card died and I couldnt get it replaced. Now it just sits in my closet collecting dust while I try to save money for a new desktop computer. Unless you travel a lot don't fall for the meme

some of them seem borderline superior as a proper laptop rather than primarily for gaming. if you plan to keep your laptop on a desk just get a proper desktop and a cheap ass laptop.

no
fell for it aswell

>i want a portable device
ok sir how about these light weight ones with long battery life and...
>oh no i want a portable device that can play high end games
sir, thats fucking retarded, those are heavy with no battery life because high end gpus pull 150-300w. not to mention the high premium you pay for stripped down components.
>why yes, i want an overpriced RGB oven please
sure thing. at least i make a shit ton of commission off retards like you.

Attached: 1352681237126.gif (225x183, 810K)

It depends on your lifestyle
I got mine about four years ago while I was still in college and didn't have a solid place to go when not there.
It's been able to handle most games I play pretty well and was an overall good fit.
Now I have a steady job and home, so I'm saving up to build a tower when the laptop starts to go.

Today's laptop market is fucked. I wanted to buy cheap 13-14" laptop with decent build quality, good screen and Dual Channel (specs didn't really matter) but nothing like this even exist below $1500-$2000 price range.

They are if instead of buying a laptop build a pc.

I'm a poorfag who uses a mid range laptop for all PC stuff. It's actually not that bad because there are so many good old games anyway. If you're PEECEE MASTERACE MUH ULTRA HIGH don't bother getting a high end laptop because it's more pricey and less effective, so unless you're a total rich fag there's no reason.

The only conceivable situation where a gaming laptop is worth it is if you can't regularly play on your desktop - like if you have to travel a lot and still want to play the vidya. In every other situation, they are strictrly inferior to a desktop. They're heavy, they're loud as shit, they get super hot and you don't even have the opportunity to replace a faulty part, or to upgrade.

I'm sure you could find one cheaper than that. I'm pretty sure i saw a shitty laptop for 200 bucks at walmart

Poorfag here without a place to put a desktop and who moves around a lot. 3 weeks ago I bought an asus gl502vm (16gb ram, 1060 6gb, i7-6700, 1tb hdd) only missing the ssd (I had one already to put in). I paid 500 and it came with a 21 inch monitor and a cooling pad.
I only even got it because my old laptop entirely broke and I needed a computer for work and figured I'd spend a little more and be able to play vidya.
Honestly I love the thing. I don't care about battery life, it doesn't get too hot (smokerfag, so I just unplug it while I'm smoking and it drops 10-15 degrees from the fps limiter and plug it back in when I get back)
It runs every game I've tried on max at 60fps.
Buy a used one, people sell 1400$+ laptops for well under half of that because people don't like used laptops. I used Craigslist.
I plan on selling it once I both save up 700-800 and have a place for it, so I can get a nice desktop with 2 144hz monitors, but for now, it's totally changed my life desu.

Going to be away for about six months so I am buying one for that. For people like truck drivers or those that travel frequently its a god send. If its just for home use its likely a waste of money unless you have some weird circumstances.

Never. Gayman laptop is always for a really niche audiences (people who want to play games decently but also travels a lot and want to play games on the go). Unless that you're belong on said group, there's no point to buy one. Just build a decent PC or half the price. Hell, if you really like to travel a lot and want to play games, a mini-itx is an alternative and arguably better in a long run. I personally play games on laptop exclusively for indie games, while I play the bigger games on desktop.

Unless, you manage yourself to find an amazing deal, like this guy

What's the best one you can get for around thousand, no more, that doesn't look like a fishers's price toy for edgy teens?

Laptops are shit.

No, I bought one for college and had uses for it there but that's it.

The new Helios 300 looks pretty tame designwise

Hell no, I hate laptops in general, they're a shitty compromise between ultra fast and comfortable Chromebooks/notebooks and ultra fast and powerful desktop PCs

Depends.
Today’s gayman laptops have really good performance with the rise of lower power multi-core CPUs and efficient full-fat GPUs. However, there is a lack of robustness that was available from laptops from the early 2000s. While powerful, a lot of gayman laptops run extremely hot due to a lack of proper cooling for the retarded pursuit of slimness, highly fragile with retarded locked-down proprietary bullshit and even a sheer lack of quality-control at the high-end where these incredibly powerful and expensive pieces of tech die within a year.
I like the idea of gayman laptops but there’s a lot of retardation when it comes to laptop manufacturers and “influencers” where they’ll often push for dumb ideas that ignore basic thermodynamics and user-repairability.
If you really want to waste money on a gayman laptop, stick around the $1000 range. Not because it’s cheaper or better price-to-performance, but simply because they have a reasonable part selection compared to their overpriced brothers.
Why in the sweet fuck would anyone need an i9 and 2080 inside a slim slab of aluminum when something like 1660ti would work just fine? I fucking hate this industry, man.

>I bought an asus gl502vm (16gb ram, 1060 6gb, i7-6700, 1tb hdd) only missing the ssd (I had one already to put in). I paid 500 and it came with a 21 inch monitor and a cooling pad.
The fuck? You found this shit from craiglist?

Attached: 1562708670968.png (400x400, 207K)

Yeah. He listed it for 650 for just the laptop and it was up for a week. I said I'd buy it from him then 30 mins later I told him sorry man I found another laptop I'm gonna get for 500. He said I'll take 500 and throw in a monitor and cooling pad for you if you buy mine today. So my scheme worked

here she is

Attached: 500 buckaroos.jpg (2483x1636, 952K)

i have a permanently closed laptop on my desk HDMI'd to a 4K TV.

Its a fucking nuts retarded setup. Got it cus the fucking bitcoin MEME cranked prices up insane a few years back

>all that
>for $500
That shit was a steal, maybe I'll actually start buying used shit

yeah i still can't believe it and still feel high from my purchase. the only thing i had already in that pic is the mouse and mousepad

They get the job done if you aren't planning on playing the newest releases on them and you just want something that can play a solid amount of vidya that can be taken around the house.
That being said they're usually a bit overexpensive so unless you're sitting on some cash just build a PC. They're not terrible though and they usually end up as more solid machines than regular laptops.

But that's a shitty ultrabook, not a gaming laptop.

I've had one for the last 7 years as my only computer. It is nice when you travel a lot and don't really have a proper home. It can play most of what I'm interested in at low settings, which is fine by me since I don't play games that need to look nice.
At this point, I'm hesitant to get a proper desktop, since I obviously don't need it and I'm too used to being able to carry my computer with me everywhere.

No.
-loud
-hot
-cumbersome
-poor performance considering cost

don’t fall for the meme

fuckin this, the one's that can play anything worth playing are essentially the price of a mid-low desktop
as a dumb faggot who bought an $800 one before nutting up and building a desktop for just $200 more that's way more versatile, don't go laptop

my laptops loud af so i use headphones. Arent all desktop pcs also loud too though? Everyone who games on pc has headphones fr this reason

>Arent all desktop pcs also loud too though?
Nope.

loud? pft, no.
get a good noctua cooler if you're worried about noise. long as you don't have the case on your desk, you don't hear shit most of the time

Yes, If you're not home a lot. I'm always at work with 12hr shifts, with a lot of downtime, so it made sense for me to get one. It cost me around $2k for about $1100 of hardware. It's worth it for me, really depends on the situation. A tower is still more cost efficient and upgradable.

I just want a laptop I can play something like WoW classic the daggerfall unity release and other indie games like that while snuggling under the covers, I've got my PS4 for everything else. Any good laptop recommendations?

I had to go laptop for a while because I was moving regularly enough, but I didn't mind it. The main issue was that it had a slow HDD, but with a SSD it'd make for a nice low-end gaming rig. I've got a desktop right now, but I think I could go back to a laptop without too much of an issue as long as I can plug in a second monitor.

Attached: speccy desktop and laptop.png (1071x414, 53K)

>wow classic/daggerfall
you can basically do that shit on any general use laptop (cheap as $200 last I had one)

So what do I buy for watching movies on flights and playing games in hotel rooms at night?

laptops are fine, fuck these other faggots. I have a gl702vs and works perfect with any game. Just have a charger plugged and watch movies kn your phone or something when on a plane.

Oh shit really? I paid $200 for my Chromebook so I could go up a little bit in budget. Any good brands? Asus?

fuck watching movies on my phone. i keep it full of pics and music
I think i'll just get the razor blade pro 15 2019

Yes
t. Macbook pro

If by gaming laptop you mean a thin and light ultrabook and a shadow PC subscription - yes.

>i cant go anywere witout game r moofie
a lobotomy, you ADHD fuck

$2000 for worse performance, heat/power management, and zero of the future proofing that a desktop of the exact same value would give you
laptops are fine if that's what you're comfortable with, but they're a waste of money in the long run
not even a born pc faggot, I just nutted up last year and built one and fuckin horrified how much money I'd wasted beforehand
don't make the same mistake I did

asus is solid
anything before/around the turn of the millenium can run on a toaster at this point

I started out with a gaming laptop, it lasted for 7 years. worth it imo

I mean, I'd also like to play bannerlord if it ever comes out, especially after all the news today it's doubtful.
I guess the most recent have I would want to play on a laptop is rimworld or kenshi. Everything else while be older

>>>i cant go anywere witout game r moofie
>a lobotomy, you ADHD fuck
i bet your a fucking loser IRL. I'd put a large amount of money on it.
oh, look at me, i'm talking shit on the internet!
Everytime i see a keyboard warrior like you, i just think scared little boy.

dunno about rimworld but kenshi has pretty garbage optimization from what i've played
tried it originally on my gaming laptop and its really rough on lower end CPUs
if you're interested in playing future PC exclusives, my advice is to save up for a desktop.
mine cost about $1200 (though, I overdid it on the CPU for 3d rendering/animation work) and can play anything on high to ultra settings depending on the game

No.
I only say this because fixing them is annoying. Finding parts for them is much harder than desktop PC.
The portability of them is, in my experience, quite redundant.

I got a gaming laptop. The Lenovo Y540 and it's honestly pretty great. I can run all the latest games since it has a 2060 and I travel a lot so I bring it anywhere I'd like and play my entire steam library. I got it for under $1500 too but it's more or less in line with my desktop at home anyways.

Honestly dont see why people hate on modern gaming laptops, most of them are pretty great nowadays for the price and specs.

They're basically portable desktop PCs.
I've had one for about 4 years and I don't regret it one bit. Perfect for taking over to a friend's place to play vidya and chill.
Internal storage limitations can be a bitch, but otherwise I've had no complaints.

>$2000
you can find a good gaming laptop for around $1k which is similar to good desktop prices anyways

If you're going to travel a lot yes, if you're going to treat it like a desktop just get a desktop, it'll be half the price and not have thermal issues.

You can find a "good" gaming laptop for around $1k that is equivalent to a desktop priced at ~$600

not really

I want a cheap built-in g-sync laptop with a numpad. Seems like I'm being fucked for wanting this.

absolutely not. I fell for this meme in college and I refused to heed Yea Forums and /g/'s advice. For the amount of money I could've put into getting a top-tier desktop, I got a big laptop with shit battery life that was bulky and weighed a ton, couldn't be upgraded, and still only did "okay" playing games of the time at 1366x768.

And the thing is, I know you probably won't heed my advice on this either. You probably think you absolutely NEED to have that portability, but you don't. Taking notes on a laptop in class is overrated, and you're not going to want to take your massive gaming laptop beast to class anyway, trust me. If you absolutely must, get some cheap/used/whatever laptop that's good enough for internet and MS Office if you absolutely NEED that for study groups or whatever.

After college (I'm making the assumption you're in school) you'll most likely never even bother using your laptop again anyway. I still have my old laptop from years and years ago, but I never use it. I use desktop only. If I just want to consume content on the couch, phones do that anyway.

>low memory
>low storage space
Are you retarded? You can upgrade both of those for 100 bucks each, cheaper if you buy on a sale

smartphone. Or if you absolutely need to, a secondary cheap laptop. But it's absolutely foolish to dictate what you buy as your main computer just because of some infrequent things you do occasionally. It's like being single but buying a mini-van just because there might be a time where it'd be useful to be able to carry 8 people