Why was this not a hit? I didn't one as a kid and none of my friends did either, but looking back...

Why was this not a hit? I didn't one as a kid and none of my friends did either, but looking back, it's exclusive library is awesome. What gives? Was Sega in really bad shape already when they launched it?

Attached: EBA7F007-372D-46E8-8E0C-6700B9665897.jpg (299x145, 9K)

Ps2 came out and killed it

People had less trust in Sega after Genesis add-ons and Saturn and PS2 was on the way.

Yeah but why? I know that the marketing for the PS2 snuffed it out some, but there are so many great games on the Dreamcast.

Its exclusive library wasn't awesome, it was all quirky experimental games and arcade ports at a time when arcades were on the way out.

The Saturn came before the Dreamcast. The Dreamcast competed with the PS2.

Everyone knew the PS2 was on its way so they decided to just wait for that

Attached: ps2 tech demo.jpg (480x360, 12K)

Its exclusives sucked. When your top games are Sonic Adventure, Shenmue, and PSO, that's when you know you're in trouble.

Then again, the PS2's exclusives actually sucked, too.

Nobody trusted sega after 32x and saturn
end of story

sega started going full retard in 1994

Ps2 played dvds and was a lot more powerful. Ps2 didnt cost much more than a dvd player at the time and dvds were the hot shit then

Everyone I knew that had one stole all the games and never paid a penny for them.

The PS2's functionality as a DVD player was very novel at the time, plus as time went on dreamcast fell way behind in terms of sports titles. These are perhaps the two main factors why it failed to capture the general gaming audience.

Also, the sega brand had suffered heavy damage after the various debacles to do with the sega CD/32x/saturn.

I only knew one guy who had one, a nigerian

I hadn't considered the DVD aspect at all, that's an excellent point.

This. This is also the method Sony used to get PS3 sales early except swap DVDs with Blu-ray. It helped boost sales since PS3 had no game

Attached: 1564333503557.gif (256x192, 1.03M)

The last true video game console that existed just to play really good fucking games. And it did so marvellously.
Fuck, I hate Sony.

Attached: unending despair.jpg (229x343, 12K)

Dreamcast is good. But PS2's launch lineup was and still is to this day unmatched. And even if you don't want to count that there are so many amazing games on PS2. Dreamcast had its gems but PS2 had way more.

What launch games? The only games you could possibly construe as good from that launch lineup were Smuggler's Run and TimeSplitters.

Attached: 28590845283_9bd5d77b7d_b.jpg (1024x905, 156K)

>first 3d GTA
>action game by Capcom
>next gen FF
>GT sequel when it was still good
No one had a chance

sega destroyed goodwill with consumers when they came out with the sega cd and the 32x. then they pissed off retailers when they launched the saturn early in north america and left some of them (most notably k-b toys) out of it. then the saturn predictably turned out to be a massive flop. by the time the dreamcast came out, everyone including sega themselves knew it was going to be their last hurrah before going third party. it never had a chance due to all the idiotic decisions forced by soj.

Attached: 1551066126056.jpg (500x515, 89K)

I've had a dreamcast for years and I still don't own a single legitimate game

This is the truth. The shit about DVD PS2, blahblsh exclusives; no. It was exactly this.

But those are all excellent games you brainlet.

The problem was EA didn't support it. So the ps2 was the normie go-to console because of SPORTS and DVDs.

>tfw these are all classic series/games now
huh

Attached: 1564511801698.gif (540x304, 1.22M)

I've only got sonic adventure. I'll expand the library eventually.

Oh, wow. I was looking at a true "launch" lineup. This is an impressive set of games.

>So the ps2 was the normie go-to console because of SPORTS and DVDs.
no, the ps2 was the go-to because of games: when sony announced the ps2 at tgs, they weren't just hyping up the dvd player, they were showing off gran turismo, tekken and dark cloud. without the games, nobody would have bought a ps2.

Because:
>overwhelming success of PS1 meant that people were more than willing to wait for the PS2
>DVD player
>more powerful than the Dreamcast
>5th Gen wasn't dead yet in 1998
>demand for arcade games was rapidly waning outside of Japan
>consumer trust in SEGA had all but vanished thanks to one ultra retarded decision after another
>by the time 2001 was around, it was clear as day that it was the weakest of the 4 consoles, and the console was on its death knell

And yes, the failures of the 32X and Saturn, as well as retailer distrust from said blunders played a role. The console itself did no wrong (aside from having a shitty controller). It was doomed from the start because of Sega of Japan and America's in-house fighting over all those years.