Ooblets signs with Epic

ooblets.com/2019/07/we-did-the-thing/
Read how smarmy and condescending the creators of this indie monster-collecting game are about the Epic Games Store exclusivity concerns.
The aesthetics are pretty Tumblr but I saw potential in the game.

Attached: Metatag_image.jpg (1920x1080, 887K)

Other urls found in this thread:

steamcommunity.com/app/593150/discussions/0/1741102632991285495#c1741103267308628072
pastebin.com/KnjnkLW8
store.steampowered.com/news/?feed=steam_client
youtube.com/watch?v=iMH49ieL4es
patreon.com/nonplayercat
gamesindustry.biz/articles/2010-08-19-introversion-steam-sale-saved-our-company
youtube.com/watch?v=uCGD9dT12C0
twitter.com/SFWRedditGifs

This is the dev of the game, btw.

Attached: classy.png (734x65, 11K)

>Epic paying for PC exclusives has become the latest thing Gamers™ have gotten angry about
Devs really resent their audiences, huh.

Kek
Holy crap!
that's some smarmy shit right there.
I'm totally pirating this when it comes out

Attached: 1400545646521.jpg (647x647, 115K)

Money talks. I'd do the same if it meant my small studio could get more funding.

who?

For one second I was worried, I thought this was the game from the Katamari dude.

Yeah, I understand these decisions too.
But why do they feel the need to get ahead of the backlash and tell their potential customers that they're wrong?

well at least they're honest about doing it for the money

To be honest I can see Wattam suddenly becoming exclusive, even though it should be out by now

Oh no! Another shit indie game went to chink store!
Who gives a fuck at this point?

it looks worse than pokemon soi and switch so good riddance. hopefully it becomes a permanent epic exclusive

>literally using the "Steam was shit when it first launched" argument
I get the feeling these talking points aren't entirely original

Attached: concern.jpg (480x433, 25K)

imagine writing paragraph after paragraph to justify your epic exclusivity
really craving for that attention

What is with these Reddit devs and this aesthetic? Donut County has the same exact look, you'd think it was from the same developer

These talking points are the same and written the same way as shitty Kotaku journalists, right down to the >Gamers™

It reminds me of that weird game where you're a goose harrassing a farmer too. Indies are nothing original, they just keep moving to the next "in" thing.

literally who?

>tumblr nose in 3d
lol

They got a spotlight at E3, I don't think they count as small at that point

>Those posts
They 100% knew about the backlash and are baiting for free PR.

Attached: 1564418072264.jpg (720x480, 61K)

That looks like shite famalam.

fucking Hollow Knight Silksong got a spotlight at E3, but that's still made by two guys.

Don't give a fuck. Epic store is fine. Game looks like pastel cum, which I love.

Don't give them free attention.

It's good to have contempt for your audience

how the fuck is hollow knight made by two people, why do I suddenly feel inadequate

ya dick short

well three people if you count the music

Because you haven't made anything of artistic merit in your life. I'm the same way, but it's never too late

wouldn’t have played it anyway
looks like tumblr shit

nobody counts that you dumb FAGGOT. who even plays games with the sound on? holy fuck you guys are fucking queer.

Four people if you count the shills

Well I guess it depends what we mean by small
Employee-wise, Hollow Knight is small
I don't know how well-funded they were initially
But marketing-wise both studios were definitely not small or under the radar

because the customer is wrong

>Tim: We don't want garbage indie games on EGS.
>Also Tim: Hey look at these garbage indie exclusives we have!

>tripfag
>is a fag
always

vibrant low poly is all the rage now
it's the aesthetic that's on it's way to replace pixelshit
almost as easy to push out too

I wasn't even thinking about the music. What the fuck? How long did that shit take?

I never liked the look of this game and honestly don't care about whatever business practice might be bothering you because the game itself looks like shit, so who cares

I dont give a shit about anything thats not on steam
multiplied by zero
which is a good thing since I have too many games to play as it is

>ooblets
Who?
No wonder they went for chink money. Noone knows who these "developers" are and what even is this game.
Meh, Timmy can have it.

Literally never saw a thread about this game before this.

literally who?

I don't blame them for taking the wad of cash, but why are they being such cunts about it to the people who funded their game?

That has got to be the worst flossing animation i have ever seen.

Attached: 1544151220694.jpg (381x315, 42K)

>Ooblets
Never heard of it. Don't really care, Tim can have it.

>I get the appeal of wanting to seek out things to get angry about. Venting anger is cathartic and natural, but let’s have just a little perspective about what we decide to get angry about. Look at the things going on around you and ask yourself if there might be anything just a tad more worthwhile to be upset about.

>Here are just a few suggestions: Climate change, Human rights abuses, The new Twitter desktop UI, The last season of Game of Thrones

Pardon me if I'm getting it wrong, but didn't Epic get accused of excessive overtime and overworking their Fortnite developers

Attached: redlettermedia talks about.png (1427x801, 1.86M)

why is epic just paying for a game that no one's fucking heard of
are they literally just paying for shit to fester on the store for some reason?

I wish I launched for EGS at least people would know my game exists, even if its just to get mad at.

i'll unironically cum inside of you. you dumb faggot ass dumb bitch. music in games sucks. music composers who makes music in games should get real jobs. music is gay

Attached: dspjakkin.png (429x662, 181K)

I was only mildly curious about this game but after reading that blogpost and the epic exclusivity I'm not even going to bother pirating a game from such obnoxious devs.

I have no interest in playing this shit game but I'll download and seed out of spite

Attached: 1543009401487.jpg (249x249, 13K)

NOOOOOOOOOOOO
For once I was actually looking forward to this game. So instead of me just pirating the game, now I can pirate it and think negatively about the devs. Not much changes for me in reality.

you could just buy it

>just buy it goyim
why in the FUCK would I do that? I wasn't even considering it before they switch to Epic.

Barely anyone is replying to you. You're just gonna get your trip banned within a day or two and no one will remember you. Get a better act or something. It's way too obvious and boring.

>Epic paying for a bunch of free copies yet again
Finally a company that supports piracy.

Attached: 1563920827709.jpg (768x820, 110K)

Their hostility is amusing.
I think I'm gonna create a throwaway twitter account just to send them screenshot of my qb downloading their """""game""""".

Why buy when Creepy Wanker already paid for my copy?
Thanks Tim!

Attached: 200 (1).gif (297x200, 496K)

I think this game is absolute tumblr garbage for idiots, but their logic is totally sound.

There's something insanely depressing about how easily "gamers" have been corralled into a walled garden like Steam, and to such a level that they instantly flip out whenever anyone shows up to offer actual competition. We saw this same shit with stuff like UPlay and Origin to a smaller extent because nobody gives a fuck about EA/Ubi shit, but now a company is actually targetting titles people actually want to play, it's another shoah.

Fuck steamshitter zoomers, here's my 14 year badge because I remember a time before mandatory DRM cancer.

Attached: steam.jpg (269x181, 15K)

I have mad respect for this lad. Gamers deserve the leash and nothing more

NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO

I'm already banned from my regular board that's why I'm here. Also not an act, i think epic store is fine.

Attached: ca.gif (1624x1282, 787K)

When Epic gets a fucking shopping cart I'll think about using it. Doesn't help that the only game I actually give a shit about that took the deal was the Shark one. Most other games I'm fine with waiting for.

Temtem looks better and is made by better devs.

Steam doesn't have mandatory DRM

low poly flat shading is probably the easiest game art to create, even easier than pixel art.

>shopping cart
What the FUCK is wrong with zoom-zooms? How is this a remotely useful feature, do you routinely need to buy 20 games at a time or something?

It itself is DRM, zoomie.

They want to have their cake and eat it too. Every developer thinks they’ll be the one to crack the code to not be seen as greedy and out of touch.

i think you're a faggot. here's my 15 year badge you fucking newfag.

Attached: ca2.gif (524x267, 44K)

>not wanting to be obligated to participate in a storefront that still can't figure out how to make a proper shopping cart or how to protect your data from chink dataminers is now being a favoritist zoomer
get a load of this faggot

Stop replying to the tripnigger newfag scum.

>I get the feeling these talking points aren't entirely original
It is 100% the case that when you sign with Epic, you are given a directive to post some sort of community announcement or defense of the decision, which must include scripted Epic talking points and defenses for "common arguments". They send these to journalists they pay too. It ensures that everyone under contract stays on-message and doesn't end up saying dumb(er) shit that can be picked apart.

Also they say they'll be around to answer questions but they're specifically contracted to not answer questions which is kind of funny.

>pixel art
>easy
Maybe low resolution garbage is easy

>LOL WHY DO YOU EXPECT A FUNCTIONAL PRODUCT FOR YOUR MONEY? WHAT ARE YOU A KID?
I think the boomer larping is rotting your brain, boi

But their talking points are picked apart instantly. You think they'd be able to hire better PR people

>some random game dev making a soulless game says theyre making their game epic exclusive
>"I guess I'll pirate it to piss them off lmao xD"
>now playing a game and giving it the light of day it wouldn't have had otherwise
what the hell is wrong with you people

no, it's a download platform. There are plenty of games on Steam with no copy protection and can be copied and shared with no restrictions.

Just pirate the game, zoom-zoom. Oh, right, you get scared by exe files.

>a storefront not having my social media tier features and the ability to buy 20 games at once is "unfunctional"
Is EGS trash? Probably. Steam is hot trash too, I wouldn't use either platform willingly.

Absolutely based

That is actually hillarious, back in cs 1.6 days you knew when a faggot has bough steam account when he had this exact date on it

When a store doesn't have a basic function as simple as that, why would I trust them with anything else. Besides they've only just started allowing other stores to sell keys from I've seen.

Or at least they only recently started appearing on GMG.

>I don't play games so clearly no one else does either

>It itself is DRM, zoomie
No

>a storefront not having my social media tier features and the ability to buy 20 games at once is "unfunctional"
quite literally, yeah
go eat shit somewhere else

oh no another game i really wanted to play going epic exclusive!
oh wait no one wanted this game

>There's something insanely depressing about how easily "gamers" have been corralled into a walled garden like Steam, and to such a level that they instantly flip out whenever anyone shows up to offer actual competition.

It's not about competition as a base concept. There's plenty of stores that compete with Steam to sell me games, I buy shit from Humble, from GoG, from wherever has good deals.

The point is there's a large gap between a new competitor finding creative ways to market to a customer base, and a new competitor barreling onto the scene and holding games hostage in order to artificially inflate their user numbers so they have more people to sell to.

Think of it this way; (Preface by saying social media is shit, fuck Twitter) If you start an account on Twitter for your brand, let's say your Twitch channel, you can get in there and compete like everyone else and win followers and support on merit and content. Or you can artificially buy followers & retweets, boost your account to make it look like you're a big fucking deal, and then trick people who happen to see your posts into thinking you're someone who people like. It's a bullshit tactic and it doesn't breed goodwill, loyalty, or actual reputation. That's exactly what Epic is doing.

You absolute double nigger. It doesn’t matter whether a shopping cart is the most useful thing in the world or not, it’s easy as fuck to implement. There isn’t an online storefront on this Earth that doesn’t have a fucking shopping cart. It illustrates the breadth of features that the epic store doesn’t have.
>inb4 muh steam was like that at the beginning
Epic has a store full of fucking exclusives and absolute fucktons of money, so why wouldn’t I expect the very best from them? Especially when they have plenty of other great storefronts they can copy ideas from.

>don't complain because global warming exists
>complains about pirates

Attached: 1541074024174.png (512x468, 16K)

>Throwing out "WELL ACKSHUALLY THERE IS CLIMATE CHANGE WHICH IS MORE IMPORTANT"
What a giant faggot.

I wouldn't waste a hot minute playing that hot garbage, but your arguments are still asinine fanboy ramblings

>thats what the game looks like
lol good riddance. that girl is probably trans too.

Nah, but I'll buy games from somewhere else.

>Dev using the term "toxic gamerz" in a post meant to convince people to hand over personal info to the Chinese
LOL

Yep, that's a pirate from me.

Bro, major companies like Disney, EA, Epic, Blizzard, Netflix, and even the fucking Democratic Party all have highly-paid PR executives who have convinced them that pandering to the loud, obnoxious "woke Twitter" crowd by changing races, pushing diversity hires, and actively attacking their actual customer base are all solid, profitable long-term business decisions.

At no point has this ever been true, and yet somehow these companies still buy it.

>Or you can artificially buy followers & retweets, boost your account to make it look like you're a big fucking deal, and then trick people who happen to see your posts into thinking you're someone who people like. It's a bullshit tactic and it doesn't breed goodwill, loyalty, or actual reputation. That's exactly what Epic is doing.
I feel like I'm taking crazy pills. Do you think this is what Sony is doing when they fund game development?

They're "buying" goodwill by spending their money on things of value to people? Can't you extrapolate out this kind of madness, and say that Valve implementing features like refunds and review systems are just an attempt to "buy" goodwill? Companies aren't your fucking friends, dude.

>You’ll have to install EGS if you wanna buy Ooblets on PC. I know that’s asking a lot but I believe in you and your ability to download a free thing and create a user account
Unless you're on Linux, which EGS does not support. This game would have likely worked with Steam's Proton, if not at launch, then after a couple updates.

I think I speak for a lot of outraged public when I say:
Who?

That entire Dev post reeks of smarmy SJW faggotry, like something a game journo would write. Nobody should support devs like that anyway.

He's equating epic buying exclusivity to buying subs based contrarian poster.

Also in your example Sony is helping to fund development, while epic buys already completed games with a niche to try and win over customers. Imagine if epic actually added features or god forbid didn't treat their devs like shit with 80 hour work weeks.

Oh, it's this game, Epic can keep it.

I like how you're just attacking the character of the post because you can't actually refute any of the points. I agree with you, the dev sounds like a complete fucking loser, but they're right.

>while epic buys already completed games with a niche to try and win over customers. Imagine if epic actually added features or god forbid didn't treat their devs like shit with 80 hour work weeks.
Because they're just starting out in the business, obviously it makes more sense to go after anticipated games with a known audience instead of funding development for games that will take 2-3 years to complete right off the bat.

This tumblr freak seems to think the cash bonus will help them develop the game to be better than it would've otherwise been if they'd just stuck with Steam, but that's the kind of bullshit dev speak that nobody can really take seriously.

>Do you think this is what Sony is doing when they fund game development?
What? Where the fuck did anyone mention Sony? We're talking about Epic here.

>They're "buying" goodwill by spending their money on things of value to people?
No you fucking idiot. Epic is buying up exclusivity on games because without doing that, those games would have no incentive to market on the Epic store due to it's small customer base, and Epic believes that if they lock down exclusivity on companies and titles, those fans and customers of those titles will naturally come along without ever stopping to question. The assumption is that if you take something people want, and restrict the ways they can get it to only your store, then you have created instant customers. But that's not the case, and while you make retain some sales you will lose a good number in the transtion. The worse part is that Epic is abrasive, snarky, and dismissive of customer complaints, and their PR requires any companies they buy to also act this way because they can't engage with outrage or criticism as it risks undermining the carryover.

Epic doesn't fund development, they don't buy games that might never finish or come out, they buy studios that are affordable and have games ready to release. They're not doing it to help anyone, they're doing it to expand their launch catalog so they look like a real marketplace rather than an empty wasteland.

I've got more, hold on.

>and say that Valve implementing features like refunds and review systems are just an attempt to "buy" goodwill?
No, Valve doesn't need to buy goodwill because they earn it from their customer base by having the widest variety of store offerings, lots of sales and discounts, and they don't restrict games from being sold other places if people want to buy their. All their features are just investments in keeping their customers interacting with their platform longer because the more stuff you can do within the Steam app, the more likely you are to spot a post, review, or picture of a game you might like and make a purchase.

Epic doesn't care about that, they don't care about you engaging with their app or creating a community to drive recommendations and sales. They care about getting you through the door on the initial purchase and that's it because it's not discounted and they have no overhead needed to keep selling you games. Their hope is that when the ONLY place you can get the game you want is Epic, and ONLY at full price, you'll have no choice but to buy it.

You're going to play it ironically and end up loving it.

How desperate are Epic getting now that these are the types of games they snag

You only just realized that the consumer is the enemy to these "journalists"?

fuck you I want it.

They were funded by 57k dollerydoos

Attached: file.png (712x558, 502K)

Reminder that Hello Neighbor was one of the first games they used to shill EGS.

>Yea Forums
>playing games
???

>But that's not the case, and while you make retain some sales you will lose a good number in the transtion.
This is absolutely true. But that's an issue for the devs, not for Epic. They're betting that their games will probably underperform, or they don't really understand the market in the first place, so they're better off with a guaranteed revenue over the whims of consumers.

>They're not doing it to help anyone,
Correct, they're a fucking BUSINESS. Technically, you could consider the devs as people receiving some form of help in monetary terms, but it's a very simple "build it, and they will come" approach.

>they don't restrict games from being sold other places if people want to buy their.
They don't have to, because they were first to market and they hold the lion's share of the market. Most third party sales are still in Steam keys, places like GoG are a minute fraction of total sales that Steam can afford to lose if it keeps idiots like yourself singing their praises.

>muh entitlement
You mean like how the faggot devs are 'entitled' to my money?

Attached: images.jpg (225x225, 15K)

They don't need your money anymore, they got Tim's paycheck :^)

Because you are fucking wrong, the Ooblets people haven't been watching you fucks as long as I have, so apparently they don't know ALL the shithead arguments you push here, but you're not just wrong, you're driven. There's too much energy behind this anti-epic shit for it to just be pissed off "gamers". Between the constant bitching about China to the personal attacks on Sweeny, it smacks of an agenda-fueled spin campaign, and I've been wary of you people from day 1 because the arguments just never stacked up. This isn't people fighting for what they feel is right, this is people who have a hidden motive and are willing to do anything and everything to trick or convince people to talk and walk like they do.
I have never seen a single compelling argument to Hate with a capital H the epic game store, but here on Yea Forums where hate is a state of being, it's not hard to find people who will hate basically anything they're pointed at, for little to no reason. This isn't normally a problem, but Yea Forums is a big fucking chunk of the vidya playing public nowadays, and you fucks don't just post here, you have twitters and forum accounts and whatnot, and the mindless hate seeps into places that it normally couldn't survive, and it turns out that it's really easy to get even normal people to hate random shit if you get enough people to spew enough vitriol all over the place.

Paid exclusives are dumb and annoying, but they are not evil beyond reproach, they do not deserve this level of scorn.

Attached: 1558193782899.jpg (512x512, 83K)

>Hollow Knight didn't go under the radar when it released
I bet you weren't even there when it first released. Hollow Knight didn't blow up in popularity until the Switch release and it sure as hell didn't get a lot of marketing.

>But that's an issue for the devs, not for Epic. They're betting that their games will probably underperform, or they don't really understand the market in the first place, so they're better off with a guaranteed revenue over the whims of consumers.
Of course. This is why I don't actually argue that it is -financially- ill-advised for small devs to take the Epic payout. On paper, it's actually a great deal and it should be what any developer would love to be able to do. It's a sound decision from a basic accounting perspective. The problem is, I don't think it's a sound decision from a market or personal perspective. I don't think that taking a payout and getting paid as if you "hit it big" on an indie title for your first venture is good motivation to keep working. It clouds your vision of how well your game actually would have done, the reception to it, and the market share it would have carved for itself, and it can only ruin your future planning. What if your second game isn't bought by Epic? What then? What if your game is actually shit and you get lazy and complacent and snarky and defensive? It's not a good plan.

>Steam can afford to lose if it keeps idiots like yourself singing their praises.
I'm not praising Steam, I'm pointing out facts about how the current market landscape works. Steam can eat a bag of dicks for all I care, the point is you don't win a fight by buying the best weapon off the rack and then hoping you know how to swing it when the time comes. Epic is hoping that when their roster of bought exclusives start hitting shelves and selling, other companies will run to them to sign exclusivity contracts and bring their audiences with them, but that won't ever happen.

chinese bot

well obviously, we're talking about budget indie devs here so I'm not sure why you felt the need to point that out.

>playing on PC
Why don't you have a Ooblets box?
console wins again

Attached: IMG_20190111_155215.jpg (1600x1200, 340K)

>it smacks of an agenda-fueled spin campaign,

Is this pasta? It tastes like pasta.

It is just pissed off "gamers", though. The whole thing essentially boils down to kids being upset that they won't get to keep all their sick achievements and gamerscore in one online storefront anymore.

There's no real agenda, although people do hate China for obvious reasons. It's just spoiled little zoomers who weren't alive before Steam, and seem to have mistaken it as the "heart" of PC gaming.

So Tim, who is behind this shopping cart agenda?

then I guess the devs wouldn't mind if I pirated their game

Fucking Undertake and Hollow Knight were made with budgets that couldnt even buy you a lame SUV, funding doesn't mean anything as long as you're not over exerting yourself in the first place

why waste hardrive space and time on a program you're not going to use?

>Paid exclusives are dumb and annoying, but they are not evil beyond reproach, they do not deserve this level of scorn.
Yes they are and yes they do. I remember being extremely pissed off when Microsoft bought exclusivity for the GTA IV DLC because I only had it on PS3 and it was on of my favourite games. That was before I even knew about Yea Forums. Is it so hard to believe that your average consumer hates paid exclusives? Not to mention the tons of other negatives to using the Epic store itself and that's before you even get into the whole Chinese ownership situation.

It's mocap, and they claim they don't know how to floss.

Go home ooblets devs

Attached: 1316426110866.png (1032x1023, 118K)

Shouldn't you be worried about Hong Kong, Wong?

>It's not a good plan.
Oh, absolutely, but then neither is Kickstarter or Patreon, and lots of devs get fat off of that.

>Epic is hoping that when their roster of bought exclusives start hitting shelves and selling, other companies will run to them to sign exclusivity contracts and bring their audiences with them, but that won't ever happen.
I agree, but the end goal of Epic isn't to buy exclusives forever. It's to build enough of a marketshare that devs seriously consider if they should release on the 30% cut Steam, which won't promote their game at all over the waves of garbage coming out every day, or a 20% cut on Epic, where their game will be much more discoverable.

They're taking this approach to build a library and audience, it obviously can never last long term. The idea is to lose money now with the hope of gaining it back later.

That's the beauty of it, they don't! Epic deals are sales guarantees, basically they're being paid in advance for X number of sales. They only get additional money if they exceed X sales, which they won't because that's why they took the deal in the first place.
Epic Store is a guilt free piracy zone

They want to be like Katamari, but they have zero originality to their designs or game concepts.

Damn, I was looking forward to playing this. Oh well, another ebin game to pirate.
Or wait until its free.

>taco bell exclusive
based

>I agree, but the end goal of Epic isn't to buy exclusives forever.
Maybe not to buy them, but 100% their plan is that when they have built their market share and have a big offering and lots of customers and shit, they'll still make new games sign exclusivity contracts, just without the big upfront payment.

Is this a modern equivalent of the "looks like a doom/quake clone" critique?

Past a certain point, it's self-serving, though.

Devs are going to be more incentivised to advertise the Epic version of their game, and they'll probably offer it at a slight discount because they make more money on each sale.

Hi Tim, why are you ahitposting instead of trying to protect your customer's data?

>We’ve only ever had the resources for just one programmer, Rebecca, who makes everything. And she also does most of the art, UI, and other stuff on the game.
What do the rest of the losers do? You know, besides wasting time and money on mocap equipment to put the meme dance in the newspost.

cool, it sounds like the devs are happy enough from this deal. I will tell my friends who were interested in the game to get the pirate copy instead

more like
>NEW THING BAD

"community managers"

>What it means for you:
>You’ll have to install EGS if you wanna buy Ooblets on PC. I know that’s asking a lot but I believe in you and your ability to download a free thing and create a user account (if you haven’t already done so to play Fortnite which I KNOW YOU HAVE).

Attached: what it means for you.png (404x232, 36K)

Now you're getting it

Attached: file.png (696x493, 372K)

"the rest of the losers" is one guy, who's also the guy who wrote the blogpost

Donut County is literally just Katamari with a hole instead of a ball.

>gamers are upset at paid exclusivity, especially for games which were open for preorder elsewhere or kickstarted and forced to go to a insecure platform with no features
>Epic takes no notice and doubles down
>Hires game journals to help discredit gamers as entitled
>Consumers get even more angry
>WAOW its a agenda-fueled campaign against us, how could we have attracted so much hate
Don't you have more employees to overwork Tim?

OMG IT'S LIKE ADVENTURE TIME LOL I BET THERE WERE ON DRUGS BASED AND PREORDERED INCELS ON SUICIDE WATCH

Attached: american portrait.jpg (281x351, 18K)

Wait a guy wrote that whole post?
The onions is strong in that one

What is her facial expression supposed to convey?

Ideas guy

Wow, my HDD/SSD will be useless after that! And my ISP will come to my house and fuck me in my ass and then deepthroat me because of wasted bandwidth!

They had the chance to cash in on the anti Pokémon hype, but they chose the even more greedier route and now they're crying about the bad reception and people losing interest in the game.
Good fucking riddance. Hope they go bankrupt and take their greediness into their graves with them.

>Epic paying for PC exclusives has become the latest thing Gamers™ have gotten angry about, which I’ll talk more about a bit further down.
>Gamers™

that comes off as being very passive agressive.

Oh yeah, and go back to your fucking subreddit

Attached: you have to go back.jpg (1743x802, 351K)

Never heard of this game, so give me a good reason to care about it

Attached: 1526863827544.png (594x544, 411K)

Never posted this on reddit, Sherlock.

Apparently they have their own fucking subreddit and prolly will have their own board here. This is way beyond brand loyalty, i have no idea what is going on in these people heads

the PC release just got delayed by a year so there's no reason to care about it yet

I'm on their discord to see the shitstorm live and there are multiple, assumed, trannies with Homestuck/Celeste avatars saying that capitalism is the root all problems and that 'gamers' are evil.
Not surprised entirely, but didn't expect this games fans to be the caricature I assumed they were.

If you don't eat our shit the way we want you do it, you're alt-right. And don't even think of complaining.

Oh so you just cross-posted it FROM reddit, got ya ;)

Seriously, go back.

The dev doesn't know what emotions are, they only know how to draw basic shapes with flat pastel colors and :) faces.

Aight, I won't even look at that shit, just gonna walk away and play other games I have on a back log

I can see it now
These are the kinds of indie devs that throw a tantrum when their game fails to sell
The twitter feed will be delicious

But you are the gamer , stupid

It's not on steam, that reason alone is good enough for me. Fuck steam monopoly and love china

I feel bad for Rebecca with how this onions faggot is representing their company. Then again the game does give off that smug cunt aesthetic that goes hand in hand with his attitude.

steamcommunity.com/app/593150/discussions/0/1741102632991285495#c1741103267308628072

They went from....
"Thanks so much for being a part of our little community! We can't wait to have you all play the game!"
to....
Scumbags.

Attached: AHAHAHAHAHAHA.png (1252x1124, 1.16M)

Lol.

Attached: Screenshot_2019-08-01 Ooblets på Twitter ”Some very exciting news We're now officially self- (600x794, 482K)

why is he faking his smile on both panels

Good reason to care for a person who chooses to ignore whole Epic vs. Steam shitfest?

>capitalism is the root of all problems
>still supporting developer greed encouraged by capitalism

>Here's your Pokémon for PC bro

Attached: OHNONONONO.gif (480x283, 1.82M)

That game screenshot has "non-toxic safezone" written all over it.

>Those monster designs
Not real inspired or ambitious, are they?

>Pardon me if I'm getting it wrong, but didn't Epic get accused of excessive overtime and overworking their Fortnite developers

They did but no one cares.

The thing is they lied, and acted like an underage faggot announcing their exclusivity and bragging about it in the most cringe way ever. Then they insulted their userbase and call them names.

Isn't this the game made by ideas guys and they didn't even know what genre and combat the game would have until years later into development?

the absolute state

the people behind this shit are so castrated their neutral face has the eyebrows in sad position to not threaten the vaginas and scar tissues of their team. think about it a second.

There is no good universal reason, for me it's just fun to watch steamboys tears

>calarts mouths
God damnit.

Are you all really going to get angry for this game? I bet none of you even know existed and would completely ignore it in Steam

Attached: 1549590541486.gif (170x200, 41K)

Aight, you do yours I guess

and now I'll completely ignore it on Epic

This looks disgusting, what is wrong with this devs.

Attached: 1519829469619.jpg (600x600, 66K)

It was on my wishlist.
And I'm not angry because of epic store games, I'm angry because the dev pointed a middle finger right in front of my nose. A big F, I'm not a steamdrone but he acted like I'm one.

While there's Offline Mode, you still have to log in to access your Steam games, which requires an internet connection.

>>Here's your Pokémon for PC bro

I'll keep playing Zanzarah, thank you very much.

Attached: zanzarah-elftown-1.png (1024x768, 1.2M)

I posted this thread right after I got an email from the developers linking to the announcement.
I know you're playing this whole "y-you're the true redditor!" angle, but you posted a reddit post that I've never seen from a subreddit that I can't recognize. What does this say about you, that you preemptively scan reddit posts to 'identify' redditors (which you obviously aren't)? This is like one of those self-hating gay preachers.

I knew of it's existence and still ignored it because it looks fucking awful and the devs literally made the game before deciding on what genre the game should be.

>we could compete with offering better prices and features so people actually choose our platform over the competition by their own free will...
>hah, I kid, let's put out a piece of shit that's even worse than steam and moneyhat as many games as we can so they HAVE to use our platform, and if they complain just call them entitled steam drones for not putting up with it

some games don't require Steam running at all once you download them.

Some games don't, but that just means that most games do.

>Us Gamers™

oh dear

I discover this game here few months ago, I never had any interest in this game because of the art, is ugly.
Here is a better monster collection game.

Attached: Kotemon.jpg (320x320, 55K)

No because I'm too busy playing fucking video games to give a shit about the completely irrelevant .exe I also have to open in order to run them. It makes 0 fucking difference and the fact that you care THIS much about it makes me hate you. You're more obnoxious than having to download epic's shitty store, and that's fucking bizarre.

Also lol@the goose steppers immediately chiming in with the chink/tim comments, you people are more predictable than an egg timer.

Attached: 1550587441609.gif (384x216, 271K)

If you don't play games why pirate them. Do you go to garage sales and grab stuff for no reason? you're just a hoarder.

So? Steam doesn't force developers to use DRM, is the point, so calling Steam DRM is disingenuous.

it's not anger, it's just fun giving the devs shit because they sided with EGS

But why even offer it in the first place? If Steam was truly not DRM it wouldn't even have the option.

I just know you people are from reddit, simple as that. I don't scan that subreddit, I simply know it exists and that you use it. I went there to make the screencap to tell you to fuck off back to where you came from, it's past time that you stop shitting up this place.

Your story would be more believable if fucking anyone had made any ooblets threads, but nah, no one here cares about the game, so nice try.

>wanting to play a game clearly meant for console on PC.

>Let's compete by offering large sums to publishers and developers so that they can publish and develop more games which they'd presumably offer to us.
>Yea Forums, niggers as they are, can't think of anything further than the present and proclaims that this does nothing for the industry.

because a lot of developers want it and Steam provides a wide range of services for developers.

That's the opposite, these devs already won and they can fart in your face all day long.

I'm gonna pirate it and play it unironically and enjoy it. It looks like fun but I'm not installing egs to let chinks spy at my dolphin porn

>Steam cares about devs more than its own userbase

Nice.

Slime Rancher has more soul, that game is actually pretty fun

Attached: slime pets.png (1920x1080, 1.43M)

wait, hold on playa... how does this work?
>here's some money and a guarantee that you'll sale this exact amount on our platform

well shit, no wonder indie devs are taking the exclusive contract. you can't fail no matter what. even if your game is dog shit garbage, you'll still come out a winner. even if all of us pirate, it won't hurt sales and the only person that suffers is epic.

makes me question whether or not they have the dough to snag exclusiveness to PC RDR2. but then again i'm doubting they could, since rockstar has their digital warehouse. still curious to see if they try it.

Attached: 1557808188676.png (617x183, 13K)

The duality of a losing man.

indieshit never has any originality, it's all just lame copies of other stuff.

>monster collecting game
these monsters look pretty fucking lame tho

Attached: 008999996.png (365x417, 114K)

which is why anyone can freely fling shit in their face without worry. Devs shouldn't be triggered about our hurtful words to them since they have a fat wad of cash on their desk. Their decision won't change so we're free to go crazy and send them death threats or whatever.

Yeah those poor developers and publishers were literally on the verge of bankruptcy, thank God Epic is here to save poor little Ubisoft from starving.

>/we-did-the-thing/

That's all I need to read. I fucking detest people who say shit like this.

Attached: 1532188204781.jpg (472x562, 128K)

Steam simply provides an optional service, it's on the devs if they want to use it

These "features" you are talking about are created in a way to prevent other storefronts from selling games and in some cases even other platforms.
Steamwork is the cancer of pc gaming which epic did better by offering their own solutions. Games sold on epic can be ported anywhere and still be functional. Epic game store marks the beginning of crossplay everywhere. Like it or not, i don't fucking care

You do you, have fun being anally raped in prison for "defending steam" lol

Only Yea Forums would complain about more video games existing. God himself could come down and say "I'll pay you money for this game you've developed" and Yea Forums would bitch.

Incorrect

what did they mean by this?

Attached: commies.png (346x34, 2K)

>Let's compete by not actually competing with steam's features but instead buying exclusive monopoly's on a game's pc distribution
>Surely this will do good for the industry as the incentive to compete with good services for the customer is removed, but hey at least Deep Silver and Take Two investors can take those fatter margins

the devs say "here's how much we think our game would sell without exclusivity," and Epic cuts them a check equal to that amount up front. Basically indie devs bullshit Epic because they know their game isn't going to sell jack shit.

>grown ass adults typing baby talk
now imagine working with these people

Honestly, Rebecca sounds like a reasonable person and she has behaving nicely for as long as I have been reading this, but Ben is 100% pure soi. This is a new low.

Also, Discord is asking me my phone number. Fuck this app.

Attached: Screenshot_20190801_140431.png (842x121, 16K)

Rockstar doesn't need EGS cash even less so with how well the Casino DLC is doing.
Gearbox on the other hand has been bleeding money because of fuck ups like Battleborn. Only remotely successful gave Gearbox has released/published recently is Risk of Rain 2

don't know what you're triggered about 2bh

>Valve goes to incredible lengths to get games to work on Linux
>Epic just says "lol fuck that"

>Let's ignore anything the post said, let's ignore all laws of economics, let's ignore that companies earn fatter margins by reinvesting into themselves, let's ignore that large profits would attract new publishers and developers, let's ignore common sense.
>Then my argument will make sense.

>choices are between selling 100 copies on steam and being drowned out by hundreds of shitty asset flips, or having Epic pay for thousands of copies in advance
Epic makes sense for devs of shit like this

>Steam simply provides an optional service to fuck its own customers with

If you still think this is a reasonable argument then you have no right to complain about Epic exclusivity deals, since they're optional and the devs are under no obligation by Epic to take it.

>multiple gifs of flossing
nothing of value was lost

did anyone even care about this game anyway?

Valve is not doing it because they love linux, they are doing it because they are still trying to create their own fucking OS to close their platform even further. And to do that they need linux.
Once they did that, they will piss in your pure linux face all day long.

Well, this is apparently the kind of game that is not sustainable on its own so I have serious concerns about its quality.

>Yea Forums avatars
What a simp

>because I remember a time before DRM cancer
This time, literally, didn't exist.

There is proto-DRM in a game I have from 1981.
Online game platforms were inevitable as soon as network speed became fast enough to support it.

t. almost-boomer

why is his backpack strap clipping through his shirt?

So do you have any actual argument? Can you name a single game that Epic helped bring into being as a result of their policies? Why are you such a good goy for companies like Epic that despite making literal billions still force their devs to work 80 crunches and pass on profits to shareholders?

>Feeling like you’re owed the product of other people’s work on your terms or else you’ll steal it is the epitome of that word “entitlement” that people use to discuss immature, toxic gamers.

It’s my money. Want it? Earn it by appeasing me. Otherwise into the bin.

>funding a game = paying for exclusivity

Kys chinese shill

>, here's my 14 year badge because I remember a time before mandatory DRM cancer.
Hey retard, just because you played minesweeper doesn't make you le epic oldfag gaymer.
If you actually have been playing PC games for a long time you would remember emailing devs for activation keys

There were threads on hollow knight long before the switch release. People also went into rainworld and Shovel knight threads to tell people to play hollow knight instead of their shitty games.

How does that even work?

This dev is making the same bullshit point that Tim makes: acting like there's no difference between buying the publishing rights to a game that's already well into development and paying for a game to be developed that wouldn't even exist otherwise.
Offsetting the costs before development means that the game gets to exist at all. Paying off the costs of development after development just means the game is an instant financial success but it is now less accessible than it would have been.

Just reminder that he is aware of the snark and it was completely intentional

Attached: soy boi.png (723x225, 30K)

Before widespread DRM cancer, then. Sure, we've had shit like code wheels in the box for years, but I remember the days when I could just copy a floppy and play the fucking game.

>So do you have any actual argument?
>Says the person who refused to respond to actual arguments.
>Says the person who thinks that middle-men taking less money has zero effect on the productivity of industries that use said middle-men.
>Says the person who wants citations for economic fact, in the same manner as someone who wants a citation for gravity or math.

>Slime Rancher has more soul, that game is actually pretty fun
I thought that game was pure garbage

>user your mom's a whore.
>I'm just joking come on don't feel insulted.
LMAO what logic is that? He lost his brain in the toilet?

Lol, the Epic deal also fucked Microsoft because now they can't sell the game on the MS store and make the game Play Anywhere

>Temtem
My man.

Physical pc games making a cone back is the best solution. Fuck digital storefronts

Because not enough funding. Luckily Epic gave them a lot of cash in return for exclusivity!

Not that guy but

"We got some cash money upfront from the deal so we can make the game we always wanted to with fewer compromises."

This is literaly in the op you absolute fucking faggot

>have guaranteed money
>insult your audience
Fuck these cunts.

I guess I need to go back to your site then, huh pal? Maybe you could teach me more about it since you seem to know an awful lot.

Probably makes more sense when I tell you that it's not a "he".

>splits from Double Fine and ultimately Microsoft
>"this is a good thing don't worry about funding"
>pairs up wit Epic.
>"we need the funding."
Well which on is it!

actually they can, there's a couple Epic "exclusives" that can still be played on PC through the Microsoft store. Epic exclusivity is literally just "don't sell it on Steam."

Answer the question. Why is it good for consumers in the industry that they are forced to use substandard services because of exclusives? Why would the wealth trickle down when it has been shown repeatedly that devs and actually people working on games get laid off after successful projects and still work embarrassing hours? Why can't you answer any questions regarding your own statements?

He expects hate-mail back so might as well give it to him. After all it's all a joke right?

Dont give this faggot dev attention, pirate if you give a shit. No one cares about this game and even less will.

Wait a minute, don't tell me, it's a tranny?

Their anti-communist and pro capitalism now.

>let's ignore that companies earn fatter margins by reinvesting into themselves
The fact you actually believe this is going to happen shows you have nothing worth listening too.

Woah a game where you get to play as a tumblrette who collects emoji. Hard pass

im absolutely convinced all these devs dont actually play games. they just hop on the gamedev bandwagon to try to get in on the money.

>Steamworks is cancer
>Valve developed a system to let almost any game run on Linux and makes it available for free
>Valve is developing a cutting-edge networking system that is hardware- and platform-independent, nearly conforms to the Free Software dogma, and can be used by non-Steam developers to create non-Steam products.

>Epic Good
>creates nothing that isn't explicitly oriented to make them money, either in short-term or long-term
>00's to 10': PC is evil, we're going to console because PC is evil
>Almost-2020's: Brings console war to PC

lol

>but Yea Forums is a big fucking chunk of the vidya playing public nowadays
holy shit how delusional can you get? go outside

well fuck you i liked it, it was also free so maybe that is another reason i like it

Attached: 73d7342edca724d134374c79ff3bac2c.png (449x525, 301K)

>more options is less
This is your mind on the peoples republic of china

>nuclear about slight inconveniences
I just want the developer to recognize that they intentionally inconvenienced me, the customer, in exchange for their own gain. I don't see why I should be happy about them doing that or thinking it's a good idea.

I'm not going to pirate it, because it's boring piece of shit. They wasted their time developing a piece of shit. I'm going to report their steam store page for fraud.

Because he ate your remote

Attached: file.png (650x800, 706K)

It's all the same to me.

Attached: 1557399776490.png (976x658, 283K)

>the dev said theyll not just pocket the money and reinvest into the game
>i believe this

Youre an idiot

No, a women.

C'mon now they don't actually talk like that it's just on brand with their game and being "quirky" is marketable.

>close their platform
>by open sourcing their code and submitting patches to the linux kernel, amd open source drivers, wine, x11, and kde

>Epic store was such a failure, devs now create outrage on purpose just to keep the store afloat

Attached: 1447173181323.webm (640x360, 2.55M)

>I'm going to report their steam store page for fraud.
I cannot imagine that works.

>Almost-2020's: Brings console war to PC
epic sucks, but reddit already did this with their "pc master race" maymay.

Not the guy you responded to but Slime rancher was like $15 and by the time I was finished the game I still felt it was too expensive for what it was

The other thread got derailed Welp time to abandon thread, he's going to spam this thread everyday now for a week. And your game is still shit, goblets whatever your company name is.

Never heard of it. Looks like tumblr shit

Epic should get some good exclusives instead of this gay indie bullshit

Too much kool aid

What do you even do except move slimes from nature to your ranch ?

Post the protagonist

This "it's just another launcher, there are absolutely no other problems" bullshit is so disingenuous.

Welp, this is it Yea Forums, think i'm just gonna end it here, I dont think I can take this shit anymore.
>just lost 4k in stocks
>family wants to stab and murder and kill me until im dead
>keep hearing niggers giggling 10 feet from my window every night
>get gang stalked every single day
>older brother has recently came out as a tranny and has admitted he has sexual feelings for me
Since you guys have always been my favorite board, and kept me entertained. I'll return the favor. I'll be streaming my suicide in about 10 minutes. In the mean time, I shall answer any questions, suggestions, etc

stream URL + quick rundown:
pastebin.com/KnjnkLW8

Thank you all, frens.

Attached: IMG_394857_2938572019.jpg (1024x768, 181K)

They have to be incompetent to need this much time and money on a generic-looking Pokemon/Harvest Moon ripoff

Epic abandoned PC while Valve came up with Steam. Now that Steam made PC gaming lucrative again, Epic wants back in. They are leeches and copycats like most Chinese companies.

That much is obvious.

wtf

>call your passive aggressive snarkfest "jokes and stuff"
>call the subsequent reaction to it "nuclear"
Lmao the narcissism just can't be contained

>posting a different gun in every thread
attention whore

>WHICH GAME EPIC HELP WITH THEIR MONEY, GIVE ME A SINGLE GAME
>Game in the op you fucking faggot
>THEY ARE LYING, EPIC IS BAD SO THEY CAN DO NO GOOD.

Fucking steamdrones

bro just change the country, play the refugee role and get free neetbux in europe

based schizo

>he think steam is his friend and they do things for free

Attached: ludzie.jpg (720x549, 28K)

They would probably get along with those 9 copies sold factorio rip-off devs

>They want to have their cake and eat it too
and they can, because gamers are trash.

Attached: gamers2.png (1784x208, 54K)

Absolutely based

At least they are actually improving their store instead of flailing around like retards that have never written code before.

Name 1

>that article

I should have stopped reading after the flossing gif. If these are the children that epic are poaching, then all the more power to them. They can fuck off steam for all I care

It's just a prank bro

Kids are starving in Africa so you cant be mad at me for selling out.

>valve
>improving
pick one, the last steam update was like 10 years ago

Divinity Original Sin

So hipster devs finally evolved from 8/16bit shit and went into lowpolly.
Maybe by 2035 we'll have hipster devs creating games that looks like early PS3 titles.

>Ooblets
Another scam, this game has been in development for how many years now? 5? 6?

NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO STEAM BROS HOW COULD THIS HAPPEN!?!?!??? FUCK THESE TRAITORS!!!

I doubt it, part of the reason indies go for these art styles is because they're easy to do (even though they are hard to do well)

Undertale and Hollow Knight are anamolies

Don't forget the only reason they can afford to do this is because they managed to pivot their trend chasing survival crafting game into a trend chasing battle royale game right around the same time people were getting sick of PUBG's continued technical problems and were looking for alternatives.

WE TEMTEM BOYS NOW

FUCK OOBLETS

Attached: file.png (1552x873, 1.58M)

>the last steam update was like 10 years ago
At least make a fucking attempt user holy shit.
store.steampowered.com/news/?feed=steam_client

Attached: Gravity Bait.gif (512x287, 2.33M)

>I know that’s asking a lot but I believe in you and your ability to download a free thing and create a user account
>We asked Epic if we could talk frankly about the situation
imagine being this condescendingly out of touch... At this point Epic should just tell their bought out devs to shut up so they don't make complete asses of themselves

Making a good game is the anamoly.

Attached: Yu tried.png (500x480, 67K)

>Epic abandoned PC while Valve came up with Steam. Now that Steam made PC gaming lucrative again
Enough of these drugs, you are not even 16 years old kiddo. Steam did jack shit to help pc gaming, not even a single fucking game in these dark times. They only started doing things when origin became a threat

there are plenty of good games, movies, etc that are financial failures

>Steamcuck can't read

>Feeling like you’re owed the product of other people’s work on your terms or else you’ll steal it is the epitome of that word “entitlement” that people use to discuss immature, toxic gamers

Stop being faggots, and maybe I'll buy it. Not my problem that everyone has a torrent client installed, and is easier than buying from EGS

See, the thing about it is, if a game is not available for purchase on Steam, then I will not pay money for it.

>imagine being this retarded
bugfixing is not an update

Does it have music as good as katamari?
youtube.com/watch?v=iMH49ieL4es

>gaslighting intensifies

>abandoned
kys, like very good AAA pc game was build on unreal (mass effect, dragon age, batman

>Making a convenient distribution platform that handles a lot of BS a game dev would not want to be concerned with on the distribution chain and turning PC gaming into a viable market

Loving every laugh based contrarian poster

I haven't embraced PC piracy for over a decade thanks to Steam. Epic is making me relive the time then I use to pirate UT2004 for lan parties

>The only problem with Epic is that it's another app to install. :^)
What a fucking clown.

I'll agree with Hollow Knight since that one came out of left field, but for Undertale Toby already had connections and a decent following from one of the most rabid fandoms out there. After you reach some level of success like that word of mouth tends to take over.

kys cocksucker, Epic literally went console exclusive with Gears 2 and called all PC gamers pirates

One, yes it is.
Two, there are more than just bug fixes in that, literally the top fucking entry.

>Improve client logic used to choose and connect to download servers, which should yield better download rates for clients with download servers close to them on the network
Random one from down the list.
March 21 2018
>Reduced CPU usage of Steam when redrawing the UI, such as when the mouse is moved back and forth over part of the Library view

In their defense, I bet a lot more people are pirating EGS exclusives than paying for them.

>Valve takes the risks of investing on PC as a platform in the peak of PC piracy, developing PC focused games and managing a digital store, probably at a loss beforenot finally started making money
>Epic abandons PC when nobody buys their GFWL riddled Gears of War, claims anyone who can build a PC a pirate and fucks off to consoles

Epic has absolutely zero moral to say anything they're doing is for the good of anything but their pockets. Everything they've done has been about maximizing profits at the cost of the consumers.

>get gang stalked
Cringe schizo.
Don't drink so much tap water.

>origin became a threat
welcome to Yea Forums, please educate yourself on the "board culture" before you post, thanks.

i guess karma is real after all

THIS IS A SHILL TACTIC TO GAIN ATTENTION
NOBODY GAVE A SHIT ABOUT THIS GAME YESTERDAY
THE DEVS HAVE ALREADY BEEN PAID BY EPIC
ALL THEY NEED NOW IS ATTENTION
YOU ARE GIVING THEM THAT ATTENTION

Thanks for the free game Tim.

>Here's a picture of a badge that I have no way to prove is mine
retard

In 2013 origin was better feature wise and offered refunds unlike steam. And guess what, retard like you were screaming that they don't want to separate their game library just because it offer better features. I mean, not you specficially. You prolly were like 12 years old at the time

>Devs don't actually care about the "gamers", they only care about the money
>"Gamers" don't care about the devs, they just want the games as a means for social interactions and being pampered as much as possible.

This whole Epic debacle is hilarious. Neither side really gives a shit about each other despiste saying otherwise and seeing this "I will support the devs" hypocrisy crash and burn because you don't want to install another free launcher puts a smile on my face.

Anyone who takes the Faustian bargain that is Epic Store exclusivity is taking a big fat shit on gaming in general and PC gaming specifically.

All those chinabot Epic defenders who claim that Valve was OH SO EVIL seem to forget that prior to Epic we NEVER had to worry about store exclusives (3rd party) by contract. Even when Valve was pretty much the only game in town they could have easily said "If you want to release on Steam, then you need to agree to exclusive distribution. No GOG, no Itch, no anywhere else that doesnt' give a Steam key for activation", but they didn't. It was bad enough when first party exclusives (crybaby EA Origin) came along, but Epic brought the giant turd aboard (though there are other guilty parties, notably Discord's shit store).

There is zero benefit to "exclusives" and we should be working to get away from the whole "store vs platform" issue with universal keys - especially if big publishers insist you buy a LICENSE FOR ACCESS not a game or whatever. Regardless, Epic has the worst storefront, the worst client features etc... and the worst behavior. They knew they couldn't compete with actual value given by Steam's real features, so they took all their Fortnite low effort winnings and the Tencent chinabux and just throw them around saying to devs "Support our shitheap and we'll basically buy millions of copies of your game up front".

Fuck anyone who takes the bargain. Some people are "understanding" of indie devs that take the bargain but not big publishers, but even for indies its not acceptable - its like agreeing to have your widget only sold in a fucking dollar store and have it manufactured out of shit quality parts with slave labor, simply because Dollar General throws a bunch of cash your way. Fuck off!

Attached: just stop.gif (298x156, 303K)

>There is zero benefit to "exclusives"
For consumers maybe, there's plenty of benefit for Epic.

Why should players give a fuck about a developer that doesn't give a fuck about them?

I love watching people turn back to piracy. It's a stern reminder that what Valve once said was true, piracy is a service problem, and ultimately piracy is more "competition" than any other storefront.

People didn't like Origin because it scanned your entire PC without permission and, oh yeah, its fucking EA

>went console exclusive
>but almost every poplar pc game is made in unreal
what did braindead steam cuck mean by this

it looked neat, and it would've scratched that pokemon itch that the switch game definitely won't, fucking tencent

bug-fixing and optimization is not an update, stop repeating yourself based steamtard, its getting embarrassing

Apparently they waited with that announcement until the last moment in case some of their Patreon supporters would jump off.

There are about 3 other pokemon-like game coming out on steam anyway. Nothing of value was lost.

all the money and man hours are going towards developing a shopping cart function for the store

Does Epic develop every single game on Unreal or is your smog ridden mind too addled to understand basic concepts?

do white kids really do this...?

Attached: 1548680401240.jpg (1280x960, 399K)

Kill family
Kill niggers
bug out or an hero

they develop´and update the fucking engine, its more than 50% based retard, tell me how to produce a car without engine steam faggot ?

Attached: dig deeper.png (583x140, 28K)

literally who?

seriously

this fucking game has literally had 2 threads on this board so far this year
and 4 threads total

and all those threads had less than 50 replies

Gotta say, the game looks like garbage but I do respect their big dick confidence and disdain towards fedora-clad steamdrones.

Attached: 157_Jon_Jones.jpg (1400x1400, 151K)

It's like everytime new storefront try to enter the market valve drones is trying their best to prevent that by creating false narrative.

Attached: 2509712751.png (1106x71, 14K)

So by that stupid fucking logic Microsoft made every video game developed using a Windows PC, or AMD and Intel are the biggest developers of all time because most things run on Intel or AMD hardware. Did you forget your english lessons retard or are you just dense?

I really liked exploring the different locations (there are almost 0 invisible walls so you can get very creative) and finding new items and species

I'm pretty sure that HK had 1m of copies in steam before the switch port. Hollow Knight is an example of "word by mouth" marketing. I remember the first month and they were threads everyday until a mod tried to move the discussions to /vg/ (it didn't work)

>we need funds
...That bitch already has patreon, no?
patreon.com/nonplayercat

Attached: a55.png (314x314, 91K)

So in other words, they're aware that going to Epic would actually INCREASE the amount of people that would pirate their game?

I don't care that the game has a sheboon, i play for the slimes

This is a clear example of capitalism destroying art. Soon, it will be worse than just “exclusivity” it will be companies like Epic paying for exclusive rights to the game’s development and artistry in the industry will die. These commie indie devs don’t know that they’re being suckered into the same system they hate so much. They’re fucking idiots blinded by political rage and a desire to be “special.”

Fuck these people.

honey+firefly slime largo cutest combo

Attached: Untitled.jpg (589x393, 93K)

>game looks to shitty to even pirate
I don't know, indiedevs seems smarter than Tim since they are milking ebin.

Looks like a quality game.

Attached: soyparty.webm (506x356, 640K)

Ive had ooblets on my steam wishlist for like 3 years now since it was announced, wtf

Attached: ornstein.png (500x360, 88K)

As long as it's on pc, i don't fucking care.

/thread

jesus christ lmfao

>that profile pic
EVERYTIME

this is your average indie game dev

Attached: Untitled.jpg (599x761, 134K)

I thought indies were creating art for the sake of making people feel emotion, monetary gain should be the by-product of people appreciating the experience you gave them, correct?

>All those chinabot Epic defenders who claim that Valve was OH SO EVIL seem to forget that prior to Epic we NEVER had to worry about store exclusives (3rd party) by contract.

Attached: 1562664636503.png (1697x925, 76K)

based

Someone is retarded enough to throw money at them.

>creator rights

fucking hell

Why do they care about piracy when they have all the money they thought they were going to get months before the game comes out?

Additional shekels is always good

>free market capitalism
>devs go for the better deal

NO YOU CAN'T DO THAT

Attached: soyjack.jpg (708x800, 95K)

Based and communist pilled,i say cut out the corporate middleman, let's have the government do it instead. These games art and necessary for the development of human culture, so it would be a valuable use of taxpayer money.

Attached: 218940125710.png (1426x752, 153K)

>Spend years on a project to get no sales, must mean your product is shit
>If EGS and Steam were equal in features sure this could be a point even if calling your customers "greedy" because they don't want to be inconvenienced is pants on head retarded.
>I suspect he's too far up his own ass to properly remember that shitty feeling of really wanting to play sonic and being unable to.

looks like some tumblr shit

>Consumer goes for the better deal
Based and capitalistpilled

Signing on with Epic for the guaranteed sales payout shows that you have no faith in your project succeeding on its own merits which gives everyone the impression that your project is actually shit.

Attached: 1508133502153.gif (320x240, 2.48M)

>obvious bait thread
>literally who game no one gives a shit about
>400 posts
Yea Forums is fucking retarded

Attached: lol.png (642x454, 131K)

>Wanting to play Pooblets over Chad's Night Market

Attached: mineko_preview_image-facebook-optim.png (1200x675, 208K)

Reminder that even clips4sale, an amateur custom porn content site has a shopping cart.

gamesindustry.biz/articles/2010-08-19-introversion-steam-sale-saved-our-company
>I'd go so far as to say that if you're not on Steam, then you're not an indie game developer of any note," he said. "You absolutely have to be on that platform at the moment. Steam doesn't ask for exclusivity, and I know it's hard to get on there - Valve doesn't make it easy - but that's part of the challenge. If you want to run a company you have to find a way of getting your game on there.

Steam had exclusives titles when they started but they were forever exclusive unlike epic exclusives?

What are the odds that a storefront may do that? THAT'S EVIL. tiananmen square, steam drones rise up!

It doesn't even impact the devs because they get guaranteed sales from epic.

Are you fucking retarded? Serious question, just how stupid do you have to be, how detached, how insane, do you have to be, to think that this equates to "destroying art". How could you possibly come to this conclusion with a rational, working brain?

Epic gave them an advance. I haven't bought any games on Epic, but Valve has their head up their own ass and deserves the flossing on that Epic is giving them.

Epic is taking a chance and funding promising indie devs. Valve is busy making VR headsets and FOTM shovelware that nobody gives a shit about.

Even Wakaliwood from Uganda has one.

>over 1100 patreons
>"we need money"

Has any Epic exclusive indie just tried to be frank about it?
>I know it's not ideal but we're a small studio and we could really use the safety net. Please understand.

>nearly puked when this thing showed up at E3 years ago
>thought it died, heard nothing about it or nobody talking about it
>this happens
>mfw realizing I really will never hear about it ever again because nobody uses the EGS aside from the few bugmen trying to raise their social credit

Thanks Timmy boy, enjoy your Tumblrmon.

Attached: 1521256257242.png (358x338, 290K)

They have a working shopping cart. It's their business decision to not use it, why i don't fucking know. But they clearly had one working in fucking 2014.

>Epic is taking a chance and funding promising indie devs that nobody gives a shit about
FTFY
Nobody here even talked about Ooblets before today

Why do people say that disliking EGS because of their connection to China is bad? Tencent owns 40% of Epic. They have someone on Epic's board of directors. Tencent is entirely under the thumb of the CCP, which has been a part of some of the worst human rights abuses this planet has ever seen. Why do they tell me to care about human rights violations more when their money is coming indirectly from one of the most evil regimes ever on this planet? For anyone who takes money from Epic for exclusivity, it's literal blood money earned from a regime that brutally treats its own people as well as ethnic minorities. They are SUPPORTING human rights violations by taking this money.

>upvote is a Gaben face
>downvote is a Sweeny face

Attached: 30478520.jpg (999x725, 97K)

>They are SUPPORTING human rights violations by taking this money.

You want me to buy this game or something?

Why should a developer give a fuck about gamers when they don't care about them? The money.

Epic provides the money so now they don't care

the ultimate defense would be "if they didn't fund us we couldn't finish the game"

Reminder that hating valve and their digital store steam is not a good reason to support or defend the epic game store.

its good to know I can pirate their game and it won't impact the devs

They can continue to do that only so long as the Epic money flows, once they are cut off they have nothing but alienated former fans who aren't going to be so pleased with their brazen attitudes.

Devolver/No Code with Observation, somewhat, where one of the reasons was "Because they drove up to the front of my house with a dumptruck full of money.".

>Some garbage tumblr game gets picked up by Epic
Based Epic, preventing more shit being released on Steam

Also, when will this fucking tumblr fad end? Why does every protagonist need to like some CalArts reject? What happened to naked women and edgy protagonists?

They have to be trying use the inevitable backlash for free PR. There's no other reason to be this obnoxious.

No, they resent the sort of people who identify as gamers.

maybe it's due to the fact often these games were indie games you saw once in a trailer and thought it's a neat idea, then for a year you never hear anything more about the game and you kinda start forgetting about them when suddenly you find out it's going to epic store.

Ooblets dev official anthem.

youtube.com/watch?v=uCGD9dT12C0

I mean, say what you want, at least Todd Howard doesn't floss dance and spit on his fucking customers when he lies and breaks his fucking promises.

Attached: 1561811503891.jpg (599x360, 166K)

Wasn't intrested, but now that it's on epic i'm definitely going to buy it.

If it's not on epic im going to pirate it. as simple as that

Yep.

If I were releasing a game and I had an offer from epic I'd take the money then upload the game myself on TPB.

One day people will disabuse themselves of the idea that "all press is good press".

But user, I already paid for your copy...

Attached: tim sweeney.jpg (1200x800, 103K)

>It's another EGS bait shill thread
>People still falls and gives them attention

Never change Yea Forums

remember to thank epic for paying the devs for you.

>calling out the literal children who shit their pants at the thought of having to open a second launcher to play a video game
i like these guys

Would it be possible to actually get away with that? Since as the dev yourself, there is nothing really stopping you from setting up a torrent and I would assume Epic has no clause directly against it in any exclusivity deal, not that they can easily find out you did it if you keep your mouth shut

I wonder how many copies Epic expected this game to sell in the other stores

Thanks Tim, i appreciate that. However we need to destroy the storefront that bring exclusives to pc gaming at all cost and i'm going to help you with that. Exclusives are not your fault, afterall valve(the greediest company in the entire world, literally) started this years ago

I bet you do, since you don't give a shit about having to use a featureless malware-ridden launcher to such a degree that you have to call people who don't want to use said featureless, malware-ridden launcher "literal children who shit their pants".

Epic is telling these devs to say these things, notice how their responses to common criticisms are identical to those used by shills here

>not that they can easily find out you did it if you keep your mouth shut
You answered your own question.

>sell game exclusively on EGS
>create asset flip of it and sell it under a different name everywhere else

years ago
So he's still right because 14 years ago may as well be never? I mean you do know that Valve is the best option for PC gaming now, right? I'm primarily a GoG fag, but I do realize that Steam is so much better then EGS that it fucking hurts.

Retentionfucker
More like
Attentionwhorer

Attached: 1559659677370.png (213x214, 31K)

i don't use 90% of steam's features either so no, i don't really give a shit. just gotta be able to open the game

and you notice neither Uplay nor Origin gained a following on the level of Steam and people only use them to play Ubisoft and EA games

>malware-ridden
[citation needed]

what does that even mean? if you use a controller on pc it plays exactly like it would on a console except you have less input lag and more graphical options.

those are multiplats

But user, where did it state Valve paid for exclusivity, especially when physical copies are still being sold and the devs explicitly mention Valve never asked for exclusivity

NO ONE GIVES A SHIT ABOUT SHITLETS OKAY?! WHO THE FUCK EVEN WAS LOOKING OR WONDERING ABOUT THIS SHITTY GAME? FUCK YOU RETARD. OOBLETS SHITLETS GOOBLETS TURDLETS HAHAHA.

Attached: 1560608354677.jpg (500x474, 52K)

This, that's one of the core tenets of the capitalism right there. I thought you guys loved capitalism and the free market?

In what way?

>We like money
>Epic offered us money
Just say this and be fair, no le ebin backlash

Attached: 1561457584588.gif (517x328, 1.69M)

they're free to take their business elsewhere, just as I am free to take my business elsewhere. Thanks for the free game, Tim.

Yeah, it's just a launcher, nothing special going on

Attached: 1554156967941.webm (1259x992, 1.85M)

>We got some cash money upfront from the deal so we can make the game we always wanted to with fewer compromises
>Because Epic doesn’t yet have the same market share as their competitors, they offered us a minimum guarantee on sales that would match what we’d be wanting to earn if we were just selling Ooblets across all the stores. That takes a huge burden of uncertainty off of us because now we know that no matter what, the game won’t fail
>Now we can just focus on making the game without worrying about keeping the lights on. The upfront money they’re providing means we’ll be able to afford more help and resources to start ramping up production and doing some cooler things
You should read the post first.

>tl;dr : we like money

You really haven't been paying attention to this debate, hav e you?

Attached: 1552542783746.png (1914x4402, 1.46M)

Naked women and edgy protagonists still exist, but the problem is that outside of Rockstar and CD Projekt Red, you will mostly find them in MOBAs. (I mean, the women will be only half or mostly naked, but the edgyness is still very much there.)

All press is good press provided that you know your audience and aren't deliberately trying to piss them off.

I expected something bad, but after reading through the post it all makes perfect sense. Even all of the jabs feel more like self critical humor or just useless fluff that don't matter. Is Yea Forums making false anger over a game almost nobody knew about, again?

Attached: 11279.jpg (1280x720, 72K)

Devs currently being clowned on over their discord server and Emilius is doing a god-awful job trying to deflect all criticism.

Attached: unknown[1].png (725x475, 137K)

That's exactly what they're saying. What's your point?
>making money and a living off of a game is bad!

Attached: 1564643712680.png (1416x472, 100K)

man you guys are gonna be pissed when you find out steam and discord are doing exactly this

>we did the thing
Already reeks of tumblrinas. A shame since the game looked cute enough to play through once.

>literally who: the game
i hope the devs are ok with getting money and nobody actually playing their game, lmao

Imagine ruining a literally good reasoning to push your game forward by adding useless shit and attacking your customers. I just don't get it. If they left all of the shit out the post would of been actually quite based. Why the snark?

Every fucking program on your pc is using certificates to work.

This is why people hire people who are competent and experienced with PR.

Indies show their true nature when they arent dependent on their consumers

To quote you from earlier...

[Citation needed]

>I suspect you're too young to remember the days that Sonic the Hedgehog would never come to Nintendo
>it's another episode "but you had to install Steam to play Half-Life"
Are they all braindead or is it just Epic handing out braindead shilling scripts? Don't they see the difference?

>Gamers are trash
So for whom are they making their vidya for?

Get a load of this guy trying to argue point 5!

I guess that explains Phil Fish's attitude then.

Yeah, that's true. But I just don't get it. I don't mind if indies want money and want to earn a living, that's all good. I guess it's literally a PR move or the onions completely wrecked the wiring in their brains.

More features, you don't have to get steam keys through Valve directly, Valve doesn't stop people from selling games on other storefronts, Steam isn't a fucking botnet trying read through every fucking thing on your computer, etc. I could go on here but that should be enough. I will always prefer GoG, but if a game has to have DRM, steam is the least bad one available.

No, they are just right. I know it's hard to realize because you lack critical thinking.

>lmao nerds stop being mad about video games go get mad about climate change or something

Can't even be mad. Not that I was going to buy the game either way.

Every Electron-based app does this shit, friend. They're built around web browsers, it has to be able to check certificates to run. Do you understand how HTTPS works?

>Shop carts = done
then where is it

>Paid exclusives are dumb and annoying, but they are not evil beyond reproach, they do not deserve this level of scorn.

Oh, but they do. They are (or were) the single thing that separated the PC space from the console industry, where platform exclusivity is the norm. You might say "But it's just exclusivity to a free to download platform!", completely unaware how that is just the first step. Epic is gauging interest. If people buy into the exclusives, they will then introduce a "premium" version of the EGS, which offers exclusives at an earlier date than regular. Then if that goes well with the consumers, they will just straight up slap a price tag on their store and lo and behold, we consoles now.

Platform exclusivity in the PC space, in any form, should be vehemently and aggressively resisted.

So got any proof of Steam snooping through Origin or other such files uninvited?

FYI While Steam uses a browser engine for the Store and Chat, Steam isn't Electron based. You can even launch Steam disabling the browser engine.

Every app does not root around in your Steam folder without permission while checking certificates. EGS does.

that's a nice slippery slope fallacy you've got there

where am i supposed to go for tech support if an EGS exclusive game doesnt work since there are no forums? the next popular place would be reddit, and i am not going to post on reddit

At least they were honest with their reason for doing it and their contempt for fans I guess.

>join the discord
>all the messages instantly get tons of those retarded reaction upvotes
Fucking disgusting.

Attached: a06.jpg (1250x721, 156K)

Fucking Emilius you're a cuck

That's a nice fallacy fallacy you got there.

They lost 50 patreon supporters

Attached: 1539427168720.jpg (551x543, 67K)

user
STOP BUYING GAMES YOU BOOTLICKER

Discord culture is pure, unmitigated tranny cancer

back to the pirate bay comments where you got the torrent from

I actually don't care.

I would be pissed if they did something like try to monetize mods. Or sell games that don't really exist.

I'm avoiding all the big or "THOSE" discords, so seeing that trash is like entering a brand new world of bullshit.

>they don't know the difference between owning the rights for the product and buying the distribution exclusivity rights
Ok, "actually braindead", checked.

And that always brings me a question, why?.
It's because of the culture of discord, the servers, the way that works, even if i do these questions, it always seem like there's no real reason.

>what it means for Ooblets
It means my dear Watson, that they were afraid their game wasn't competitive, saw the lump sum of money and decided getting paid up front was more important than trying to gain a following.
On pc, the only competition they have is gonna be pokemon roms. They were virtually by themselves and now they just limited their consumer potential by a substantial amount.

I'm gonna assume because it supports avatar-fagging and RPing, you can use it on phones, and you can create your own gay emojis like the trans flag or whatever gay shit they spam.

lmao
not even gonna pirate

Rude.

Attached: bilbo.png (561x164, 18K)

post more backlash

I think is really because of the closed servers and the way that it's very hard to have different opinion s thanks to the circlejerks that happen.

Epic is preying on the communistic impulses of these millennial devs. They honestly believe that they should make a living wage creating anything they want. Participating in the free market freaks them the fuck out

BASED

>engages in capitalism
>pokes fun at you for seething over capitalist practices
>makes a decision to work exclusively with a partner for a cash infusion
>like businesses have since the beginning of commerce
>tells you to your face that you're making too big of a deal out of the EPG launcher

>aware of the snark
B-B-B-BASED

GAMER BOYS BTFO

PERSPECTIVE? NO I'D RATHER BE MAD AND HANG OUT IN Yea Forums THREADS RELENTLESSLY PICKING APART THE ART STYLE AND THE TWITTERS OF THE DEVS

LMAO REKT THE LIBS

dabbed upon

DEVS SAID THEY WERE GOING AWAY BUT JUST HID THE MODERATOR AND ADMIN ROLES TO PRETEND THEY LEFT LMAO

I find it funny that even the people on reddit downvoted this and said the snark was completely unnecessary