If it was up to you how would YOU make a quake game in the current space year of 2019?

If it was up to you how would YOU make a quake game in the current space year of 2019?

Attached: Quake1cover.jpg (288x334, 120K)

Other urls found in this thread:

youtube.com/watch?v=W1ZtBCpo0eU
youtu.be/T6de3nqBpFs?t=61
youtube.com/watch?v=Ce3xOgg9mtk
pastebin.com/pj4cQsJL
streamable.com/kffw1
youtube.com/watch?v=npjoVg1W__E
youtube.com/watch?v=_T0kYf-EIJw
steamcharts.com/search/?q=quake
steamcommunity.com/profiles/76561198178267555/friends/
shamusyoung.com/twentysidedtale/?p=1406
youtube.com/watch?v=aCYW6BxVuhA
clips.twitch.tv/SpoopyPrettiestMosquitoRedCoat
clips.twitch.tv/CleanSillyLobsterKappaWealth
steamcommunity.com/id/xbeelzebub/
twitter.com/SFWRedditImages

Offline LAN play
Fully moddable
NO cutscenes or Press X to awesome, only gameplay
Users can create custom maps, and host their own servers, and join each-others' servers
A central authority CANNOT force a server to ban someone that it doesn't want to
Rocket jumping
A graphics style whose primary purpose is to clearly communicate information to the player - looking good in screenshots is not as important.

quake but more

like DUSK which actually has a cohesive story and decent presentation unlike Quake.

I would make something where it's possible to customize the player model with an in-game 3d editor (with limitations like it all has to fit within a player shaped box) and also some kind of simplified scripting engine like a finite state module tree where players can define basic AI behaviors for monsters/characters they create to interact with each other.

Basically quake + mod tools except more accessible and with multiplayer but avoiding the garry's mod trap of making it all about physics.

>1's setting and aesthetic
>no story focus, just lore bits here and there to find
>same movement mechanics but more fleshed
>more enemies in levels but less health
>some new enemy types
>add the mission pack weapons as alternate fire modes
>bigger levels
>actual boss fights

Also this

make singleplayer just like nu-doom excluding the arena based level design

Just re-releasing Quake 1 with ability to run the game without the need of sourceports, 1st party mapping tools, workshop integration and some extra quality of life features would be nice. But if we are talking about a brand new game I would go with something similiar to Doom 2016 but make it Quake instead of Doom.

Fuck, I don't know. Seems fucking random which multiplayer games do well and which ones fail. Quality doesn't have much to do with anything.

Quake's story is no worse, it's just presented in the manual.

just like this video

Make a single player focused game that is not part of the Q2/Q4 storyline. Nobody cares about multiplayer exclusive arena shooters anymore, just make a fun campaign with solid mechanics and no cinematic moviegame bullshit and it will sell well.

People who shit on 2+4 do not understand cyborg war kino

The strog are edgy borg that’s it

Exactly like nuDoom did it (minus the stupid takedowns and plus an actual server browser/LAN).

YOU HAVE TO KILL THE SHUBNIGGURATH

I'd do it like Unreal Tournament. Get the dedicated fanbase to make shit, but I wouldn't shut it down and send the 4 people working on UT officially on to Fortnite.

2 and 4 are garbage and why id deserved to die. Doom 3, too.

Attached: 1529737392987.jpg (219x241, 47K)

Quake looks better than Dusk.

>But if we are talking about a brand new game I would go with something similiar to Doom 2016 but make it Quake instead of Doom.
I hate you and everything you stand for.

Mods mods and more mods

Quake 1 setting, after Shub Niggurath is 'defeated' Ranger is lost trying to find way home and slipgates are taking him to different places.
Storytelling done HL1 style with as few cutscenes as possible, just show the consequences of what happened to shub's cult/army.
A few text documents Arcane Dimentions style would be fine

Light metroidvania design, with large open levels
Non euclidean level design using portal tricks?
Unlock new movement abilities throughout the game, start off with standard Quake 1 movement, unlock Q3 strafejumping, Q4 sliding, QC teleport, UT wallrunning, 3waveCTF grapplehoook etc

Quake 1's monsters with some more lovecraft themed additions
Maps based roughly on mythos settings
Bosses based on mythos entities (not yog-sothoth or something too powerful)

Attached: Zerstörer.jpg (760x368, 23K)

>Ranger is lost trying to find way home and slipgates are taking him to different places
So Heretic.

bring back galena from quake champs

Quakeworld physics rocket launcher, grenade launcher, and lighting gun.

Ad q3 railgun and the rest of the weapons

Modern graphics

Server list no matchmaking

The perfect game.

Attached: 1563415870623.jpg (1024x1024, 91K)

pretty much but it is also the same lore as QC
just keep him as a silent protag and it'll be fine

Attached: 1508128513493.png (739x597, 303K)

wow you just made q3 cpma, so original and sure to be popular
you absolute pillock. you incorrigible lug nut. you used banana peel. i can't believe you

All I want is a satisfying fucking grenade launcher. Quake is literally the only game that nails it.

>just keep him as a silent protag
Not too silent, though.
HUH

>just keep him as a silent protag
Why? The voice acting is one of the few undeniably good parts of Q:C.

No. I said quakeworld physics and it won't be popular because most people are too slow in the brain to be good at a fast game like that.

>>Quake is literally the only game that nails it
>Shadow Warrior
>Duke Nukem 64
>Turok 1 / Rage Wars
>Strife
>Ion Maiden (even has the same bounce sound effect as Q1)

I appreciate the pun, though.

AARH

Attached: 1526517816688.png (184x184, 53K)

Do the same in idtech 6 i guess.

GAAH

quakeworld physics and weapon balance are fucking ass, dont @ me with the 'muh bhop! shite
you rusted fucking anvil

grr c'mon!
youtu.be/T6de3nqBpFs?t=61

Attached: 1493748576869.jpg (512x512, 49K)

Nah you're just shit and you don't like qw physics because it's too much for you. Baby's first q3 is more your speed I get it.

>Ranger
>it's Wrack

Take what these guys did for the first episode of Doom 1 and just remake Quake 1 like it.

Attached: KDIZD_logo.png (500x164, 19K)

>doombabbies

I wouldnt, I'd just make more arcane dimensions tier mods for quake 1, or even bigger mods than that

asdwqe

BRING
BACK
HUNTER

Can we setup a Yea Forums quake match?

Either 1 or champions. Doesn't matter.

I'm a shitter. Literally the worst player but I wanna play for fun not for glory.

Attached: 1558027858056.jpg (849x1200, 130K)

>guy wants a Quake 1 remake that expands greatly on the original while still keeping recognizeable aspects of it
>"doombaby"

Attached: 1522097783021.jpg (415x560, 156K)

OP didn't specify remake at all, just a new Quake game. Stop living in the past.

Quake champions graphics, give weapons alternative fire modes that can also be used for advanced movement, similar to rocket jumping. Make long and semi open levels with monsters that are designed to make you move constantly.

Op didn't specify 'new Quake game' either.

>alternative fire modes
>in quake
Gross.

Quake Champions has an unironically great visual design in its characters and maps. Make a singleplayer campaign for it as a standalone game and use the money gained to perfect its multiplayer and make expansions for it. Make it have actual old school level design and not nuDoom's crappy linear hallways that go from arena to arena.

>copy paste details everywhere so that every room looks identical
>add thematically inconsistent monsters
>completely fuck the map designs' shit up
That is one hell of a yikes from me 'yall

Alternative fire mode is strictly superior. UT and DOOM 2016 weapons shit on quake's from a game design perspective. Much more possibilities, much more fun.

ID Heat-Death

The last of humanity from every dimension, defending the last free city in the mutiverse. The demons from Doom, creatures from Quake, Catacomb 3-D Monsters, ect... are all intent on exterminating humanity.

The player may choose a hero to play as. The heroes are a collection extracted from random places on their timeline. BJ Blazkowicz, Commander Keen, Doomguy, Crash, Dangerous Dave, Heretic Guy, ext... As many as can be put in reasonably. And maybe even some non-ID DLC if the player feels the need to Nukem.

Co-op play for the quest is encouraged, and the players can also command NPCs on their team to sure up their numbers. Vehicles are added. Cars, hover tanks, and some flying machines, whatever might be around the last city. Passengers are encouraged to use firearms from their position. Innocent NPCs inhabit the city, and they would appreciate being defended so they don't have to constantly flee for safety.

The various monsters will occasionally open a portal and start to invade some part of the city. The area of the city may be physically changed when the creatures invade, depending on which game the creatures came from. The players must go there and find the portal, enter it the level, maze around, and set a bomb by the portal generator before escaping back to the hub city. Clues about the ongoing plot-line may be found anywhere, including the maze levels. If you fail to clear an area, the monsters will continue to flood out of that area into other parts of the city until you do. As difficulty increases, you may find your city is infested with several game's monsters at once. Monsters from different games will not get along with each other, and will tend to fight one another on sight. However bad things get, protect the central tower until you can find the lair of the ultimate mastermind. Once the final boss is revealed, you will have to traverse his lair to put an end to him once and for all, while your central tower still stands.

Not allowing Machine games to make it would be a solid start.

jamie pull up that video of me talking about quake

This, all these threads and not a single custom room to play in?

As much as I hate TotalCasket, he was right.

Attached: quakeshittershoulddie.jpg (453x677, 46K)

Even an asscancer is right twice a day.

Keep it pretty much the same but add VR support. Add something to do with the hand you're not holding the gun in, just dual wielding like Serious Sam would be a simple and acceptable solution.

Attached: 20190730230126_1_vr.jpg (4032x2063, 847K)

I miss him.

Make it not a tech demo.

>tfw Yea Forums was lying all this time
Damn. Even after life, he's dropping the pills.

take quake 3
server browser with in-game variables like halo custom games
map builder
mommy crash is there
a doom guy skin for doom 1, 3, quake 3, as well as 2016 and eternal
color options for skins
no progression but skins are fine. just dont lock them away
dedicated servers
CTF
a really good single player and offline challenge modes that will be secretly training newer players without them knowing so they cna get into the multiplayer and not feel bad. like an invisible tutorial
take quake champions art direction for the maps
work on a wide range of PCs and be more stable than QC
often when I open quake champions both of my monitors go black but I can still hear and I have to restart my computer
better load times
maybe have a post launch campaign builder
no lore, its gay
dont release it with any possibility of abandoning
market it as a campaign game so people will fall for the trap, expecting something like wolfenstein or doom but then they accidentally get yoinked into the multiplayer WHERE THEY WILL STAY FOREVER MWAAAAHAAAHAAAHAAAA
maybe gordon freeman, skaarj and master chief guest skins?

Attached: crash_blue.jpg (375x500, 48K)

This, but with either Quake 1 or Quake 3 graphics

oh yeah and dont skimp out on the gore
when you select insagib the game load screen says its pronounced GIB not JIB

No

would you do it for a scooby snack?

>mommy crash is there
this is the most important part. pay attention to this.

Attached: 1556043654721.jpg (1000x1100, 346K)

thank you, thank you

Attached: 1553981247739.jpg (800x1013, 156K)

Why doesn't anyone just mod Quake 3 then?

Modding Doom is way easier.

Attached: belov-pavel-shamblerbaby.jpg (649x1000, 245K)

ill play

Nothing, I'd just keep playing quake.

Attached: quackobd.webm (640x360, 2.81M)

Wrath?

Attached: IMG_20190713_200845.jpg (538x553, 70K)

>save me, John Romero
Ahem daikatana

"Pre-order QUAKE to get guaranteed access to the QUAKE beta! :^)"

"The campaign portion of QUAKE will set a new standard for other shooters - Open World First-Person Shooter at your disposal to play your way.
- Navigate through a vast dimension that consists of overrun military bases, dungeons, castles, and other unearthly environments using your free-running abilities!
- Encounter numerous deadly monsters straight out of a nightmare!
- Use a myriad of customizable weapons in any way you want to approach your objectives.
- Experience the innovative multiplayer from the granddaddy of multiplayer! Customize your weapons loadouts for frentic fights where anything goes!

If you purchase the QUAKE Collector's Edition, you'll get guaranteed access to the CATACOMBS beta :^)"

How would this make you feel?

Daikatana is good tho

>nu-id who weren't involved in quake trying to interfere with real id lore

this is non-canon, fuck this.

Daikatana is better than Quake 2, just saying

Save me, Romero

I realized something recently it just came to me I wasn't playing quake or listening to the song

Quake is inextricably linked to this album for me

youtube.com/watch?v=Ce3xOgg9mtk

listen to the HUH sounds near the beginning after the shots start, i'm pretty sure it's the same HUH but slowed down in Quake

If there was a new Quake theyd really have to ham up the Lovecraftian elements to distinguish it as much as possible from Doom. Maybe have some non-Euclidean level design to fuck with you. And Id want it to be dark, dingy, & brown like the original.

>plenty of options over the past 5 years

not a single one was good, felt right, had good visual design, had good maps, had good netcode, had good lack of input lag, had good modding, could go on and on and on

QC would have succeeded had it been vanilla with servers and modding. That's all anyone wanted. Instead they took it the other direction and wasted probably 80 to 100 million dollars.

Something like Arcane Dimensions but levels played in a linear order that build off each other, a plot with minimal focus but lots of optional lore and environmental storytelling. Could also incorporate elements from the expansion packs like alternate ammo types, mechanics, monsters, and weapons that Arcane Dimensions didn't play with

>screen says its pronounced GIB not JIB
Fucking zoomer faggot get out of here.

Diabotical when?

fuck you right
im always dogging on my friends for saying GIB to annoy me
and now im the one who is retarded

>Presented in the manual

it's jib. it's short for giblets, which is pronounced giblets.

pronounced jiblets*

>hire all the Arcane Dimensions mappers
>give them complete freedom to make any dimension/time period they want

Ranger needs to be voiced by Trent Reznor.

within the restriction of a 512-color palette based on the original quake 256 color palette. about 504 colors after fullbrights and transparent color.

thats my line

Several of the AD mappers are already working on Wrath/Wraith/whatever the fuck it's called.

Sure fuck it. Essentially hire them for a few years to make tons of maps and release that with its own portal filled hubworld like AD. Pretty much just AD but bigger

I just got into trying Q1 mapping and its actually pretty easy but after you start making more detailed enrivonment it is so time consuming. Just trying to imagine how long some of the maps in AD took to make make me really think how dedicated some people can be.

Wrath has some AD mappers

Attached: executioner.gif (448x360, 553K)

So Wrath.

I wouldn't, q3arena was already the best quake multiplayer can get. If anything I might mod it to add weapons or maps

A 512 palette doesn't make any sense, though. 256-color palettes exist because that's the highest you can go with an 8-bit integer. The next step up is 16-bit which gives you sixty five thousand colors to work with.

All Quake needs to have a massively improved palette is to get rid of the one row of neon blues used exclusively for the fucking Dopefish room.

Forgot to add. Depending on the dimension/time period the look of the enemies would change
>feudal japan map
>ogres look like oni, knights look like samurai etc

More waifus.

Attached: afe826a79938e04dee2281ac399020d798bddf3d.jpg (564x945, 417K)

ad_sepulcher on steroids. It's just one overwhelming level.

Attached: maxresdefault.jpg (1280x720, 242K)

it doesn't have to make sense in that regard. it's done for artistic reasons.

Romero did this but it didn't work at the end.

I would just go play Quake live, really. Or one of those open sauce clones.

[spoilerUnironically cute][/spoiler]
I want a Ranger plushie

>Basically quake + mod tools except more accessible
reflex arena already exists

I wouldn't.

I'd just suggest you play Arcane Dimensions instead.

amid evil already came out
wrath of aeon is coming out soon
arcane dimensions exists
underrated
sad but true

>RETURN TO THE COMBAT ZONE !!!
kek every fucking time

Attached: CP2077_Sun.png (330x319, 178K)

I wouldn't.
The general FPS playerbase these days don't want it and Quakefags don't want it either. What's the point?

q2 and q4 are unplayable boring and were mediocre as fuck even when they came out
>Storytelling done HL1 style
>as few cutscenes as possible
that's literally HL1
it opens up with like a 30 minute fucking cutscene. just because you can walk around and look around doesn't make it not a cutscene.

Remaster Quake 1-3
Built in server browser
Built in tools to make it easy for retards to add mods
Release all three games as one single client
Make Quake 5 a hybrid of the sci-fi and lovecraftian horror themes of Quake and Quake 2 and the remaster includes a playable demo of it
The demo has online play and dedicated server built in
Quake 5 will use a modified and improved version of id tech 4 that makes modding better than ever

>The voice acting is one of the few undeniably good parts of Q:C.
Are you fucking kidding me?
>LOOK OUT BELOW!!11
>I'M SEEING ... STARS!!1
>I'M GONNA FLIP YOU LIKE A TABLE!
>THIS ONE'S GONNA BE EPIC1!!1!1

>Ad q3 railgun
OH NO NO NO NO NO NO

anyway that's diabotical.

>All I want is a satisfying fucking grenade launcher.
many other games have great grenade launchers

t. table

Quakefag here. I want it. Fuck you.

I'd basically remaster it, I think Quake Champions was fucking around with the idea already.

are you stuttering?

No one who talks about quake actually plays quake.
I hate this post and I hate everyone who parrots it.
This is the sad reality. None of the """many arena shooters to choose from!" are nearly as good as UT99/Q3A/UT2K4 which, unsurprisingly, LOTS of people still play.

QL had 1.5 million signups
I remember waiting in queue, placed like #40,000, in beta. waiting to log in. just to log in. back before steam, before the "TENBUX" before the loadouts back in the browser era.

QC is unplayalbe.

quake champions without the lootbox bloat and long load times. instead of that add customisation features to let players make their own maps

Dialog and voice acting are not the same thing, user.

pastebin.com/pj4cQsJL
skip down to "from a casual standpoint"
QC is hot garbage

>its actually pretty easy
yeah nowadays it's very easy with shit like trenchbroom
this shit wasnt available back in the day, hence why build engine shit was so much easier to do, and like 12 build engine games came out before '99

dusk

you've gotta be a real dumbass to just realize this
first off those aren't "shots" they're bangs/pounds/slams/punches
but yeah, it's obvious that the 0:16 "HUH" are the same
hint: same voice actor, dumbass

Make a version of this with diakatana kek
honestly i liked shotgun jumping in diakatana tho.

uhh they're obviously shots

>one character is supposed to be an annoying asshole
>user is successfully annoyed

I'd make it hub based and have more rpg elements
keeping the core gameplay and weapons largely the same though
I would personally change the axe to be less useless in some way, maybe it has a special ability or something later on in the game
the single shotgun is a bit redundant
the nailgun is a bit crap too imo, but I suppose you could just have the normal nail gun and have it upgrade over a few levels to better introduce things
grenade launcher, rocket launcher and lightning gun are perfect though
maybe it needs a bfg or something unique to add flavour, or something lovecraftian based

I think story wise I'd want to keep the idea of "futuristic earth meddles with technology and unleashes elder gods onto humanity" concept, but it'd be more of a reboot of the first quake
and maybe have a lot more actual cool, interesting and horrific monsters and bosses
like that quake 1.5 mod did I suppose, but better

They did. There are many sourceports, mods of q3, things built on the engine, etc...
Warsow, Xonotic, OpenArena, AlienArena, just to name a few...

quake 1 setting and tone
dark souls 1 style world layout
light rpg elements like hexen with the player having the ability to use black magic

kek
teaching children about bribery since very young
>maybe gordon freeman, skaarj and master chief guest skins?
good luck with that.

>#4
This is what I can't stand the most. Every arena FPS since Quake 3 treats it as "the gold standard" but it was actually the least popular of Quake 1-3. Servers were never as full and the mod scene was much less lively. People don't seem to underatand that Quake 1-3 all had their own distinct physics. Q4 and QC both seem like they just tried to copy Q3 and it's shit. Q3 was too smooth, too fast IMO. You could too easily get around the map with strafing, rocket jumping and jump pads. I miss having to think a bit more about movement and weapon usage. Q3 is just gogogo spam lg+rail. It's overly twitchy. Quake and Quake 2 were already fast enough. I hope a Q5 would have distinct physics while still having the basics like strafe jumping, rocket jumping, etc. I hated how easily you could gain momentum by rocket jumping off walls in Q3. too easy to shortcut all map design layouts. I'd like to see more jumpad free map designs as well.

this is a great idea.
IMHO there needs to be a join developed game that somehow combines Quake and UT. With Bethesda/Zenimax and EpicMegagames' millions, it's doable, once fortnite dies down.

Attached: quake and ut bros.jpg (1621x701, 178K)

>everything good about nu-doom is just taken from unreal
>even the environments remind me of "Unreal 2: The Awakening" but better in every way
>literally Doom2016 is not a doom game, but Unreal meets Metroid Prime

Merge these a little. Basic weapons can be found in the hub world. Better crap can be found in the levels.

sounds like the worst shit ever and would play like a game that was desperately designed by a corporate think tank and made by code monkeys

i'm the guy you responded to and i kek'd at that
desu... I'm faster in Q1 than Q3 because of the air control and not losing speed around corners.
streamable.com/kffw1
this is the kind of silly shit you can do with CPMA physics meets Q1 physics
Q3 rocket boosting off walls wasn't that bad except when people would only play modes with no self-damage.

Quake is NIN: the FPS and Trent did Ranger's voice as well as the Quake soundtrack. He also supervised and selected Quake's sound effects. The nailgun is obviously a NIN reference too and you see the NIN logo on the ammo boxes.

if it were made today it'd be horrid

you're combining cpma with q1 that's not q1 that's basically q3 with bunny hopping. no thanks. rj off walls is ass cancer. i know you can move fast as fuck in quake and quake 2 but it's much harder to reach the absolute top end and thus not very viable in comp play. in q3 you can too easily avoid map layout by rj'ing off literally everything.

>map builder
This is what kills games. It needs a proper level editor not a "map builder" like some retarded snap map shit.

Do you believe Unreal invented the concept of weapons with alt-fires

Attached: concernedfrog frontal.jpg (245x250, 7K)

The Dark Matter gun from Q4 was an unironically good BFG replacement.

you can't mod current id tech without a render farm so snapmap bullshit is the best we'd ever get unless they start back over at around id tech 4 prior to megatexture addition.

who cares about graphics lol
make it look like a refined version of quake 1 but with a better colour palette
the low poly stuff looks just fine so long as it remains consistent

fuck you it is cool having ranger playing the games endlessly and slowly losing his mind because he can't find a way back home
and that is a staple of lovecraft anyway so it fits with the original lore fine.

Quake III Arena was always my personal favorite id Software game. It’s such a pure activity kind of game – more of a sport than a movie. And I’m excited to have this opportunity to bring back the pure type of gaming as opposed to the “everything and the kitchen sink” modern design. We have no pretensions about it being the best multiplayer game in all types of things, but for any player looking to test their [deathmatch] skill, I think Quake III Arena is the best there ever was.

this build the story of him trying to find his way back home just constantly going through new slipgates with no idea where they lead but pushing on hoping to find the right one.

old shadow warrior had it
i think strife did too

>open world
>skill tree
>level-up system for both player and enemies
>crafting
>micro transaction
>new protagonist that is a black queer teenage girl
>same setting as the first game, but now with stylized overwatch-like artstyle
>deep story with at least a few hours of unskippable cutscenes
>extreme over the top attitude
>the main antagonist is now a grizzly white facist officer, who wants to colonize the other dimensions

Easy

I wouldn't, I'd save my money and do something different. Plenty of people have tried to revive Quake or at least quake-esque games and they've all failed miserably because all 7 of the people who still give a shit about Quake are just playing Quake.

See, this is the best idea in the thread and it's literally just Quake III. Just go play Quake III it has all of those features.

Painkiller style.

I don't think you understand. Mods are the most important thing next to the game itself being worth playing. Quake and Doom wouldn't be so remembered without mods. Current id tech can't be modded. We're never getting a proper modern Quake or Doom unless id soft starts over on the id tech codebase to remove megatextures or virtual textures or whatever you want to call it.

I don't think you understand
don't make it on current idtech engine

Ratz Instagib but with quake characters

k but that's exactly what I suggested they'd need to start over around id tech 4 prior to megatexture addition and there's almost no chance of that happening and a Quake in some other engine will be trash guaranteed.

Wait a minute that carmack...

What was tried with Quake?

Quake 3 Arena has been big around 2000-2001. This was the time when a BYOC LAN in Milan – just to make an example - would gather 2000+ people for Quake alone. Numbers pretty much dropped from 2002 on, with the landscape of player being reduced to the hardcore fans, and a relatively tiny “esport” related circuit.

Afterwards, we have seen two main releases of Quake: Quake 4 and Quake Live. Pain Killer was probably the closest non Quake game to the series, but let's exclude it from this discussion.

Both these Quake releases have tried to stay true to the common root in terms of the core mechanics and lore. The game mechanics were just slightly altered, the game modes were pretty much the same, etc. Both games have failed at attracting the masses, and were soon after their release down to a few thousands active players.

What went wrong? These are some of the arguments you can find online. Not everything can be proven with hard facts, but at least there seems to be sort of an agreement within the Quake community.

1) When Quake 4 came out, it required a super ninja PC to run smoothly, which was quite annoying to most fans. The sound system was generally not working as expected, and only people with the right hardware would get some decent positional information out of it. Most importantly, the multiplayer features (with the notable exception of the tournament system in the duel servers which was great) was overall a huge step backward from where Quake3 had been pushed with all the community mods. It took about a year and a half of patches and community mods to bring it to a good state, but by the time Quake 4 became a good game almost nobody was playing it anymore.

I would want a version of Quake as originally conceived by John Romero in the early 90’s.
>you're still kind of distanced from the death.
>you're pointing the shotgun at something, you're >pulling the trigger, and it shoots and the thing is >dead. all you had to do was press the button. - >you move the mouse and press the button - and >it's as easy as that. in quake, you'll really have >to kill things. you won't just press the trigger and >hit it, you'll have to really beat the living shit out >of the thing until it's dead. so you'll have this >huge hammer and you'll pound it into blood >paste on the floor, and you're going to have to >take awhile, too. you're going to have to work on >it. you won't just have this arrow point-and-click >kind of thing.
>...quake will be the ultimate. you are not going >to believe quake. quake is going to be an >industry when it comes out."

cumbrain thread

2) Quake Live was pitched as an attempt to use in game advertisement as alternative revenue model for a free to play game. Additionally, the concept was to propose the same Quake 3 gameplay to the masses by facilitating the access to the game (web plugin), which admittedly has been quite demanding in the past.

For reasons that go beyond the developers’ control, the two attempts to build up the necessary infrastructure for viable in-game ads never reached their goal. Attracting the masses also failed badly. While a lot of people tried the game when it was released, the first few days have been terrible in terms of the service: most players were placed in huge waiting lines. But even when one would wait and finally enter the game, he or she would find a very unwelcoming environment. The match making never really worked. You had newbies being placed in match with people having played nonstop for 10+ years. The game was simply too hard and not enough fun for the casuals to really have a reason for them to stay.

After probably a year of active engaged development, Quake Live went in “life support” mode, with the dev team reduced to two persons, and absolutely no vision for its future. There is still a handful of players, and actually the online scene in Europe has been slowly growing, mainly in the eastern countries, but it’s sort of clear that there is not much to expect in the horizon.

Can it be done differently?

You can certainly blame the developers behind the various Quakes attempts for a number of choices they have made, but I am not sure if these cases are really studied and information is necessarily available. What I write here is just one man’s opinion arguing over the internet, but I hope you will find value in my post. So this is what I would like to stress:

- The value of a brand only gets you so far. It is great to attract people to play your game once, but it’s not a substitute for your game to meet the expectation. Player retention will be your primary problem.

- The expectations of your hardcore fans are very different those of the casual fps players, especially those who grew up with COD/BF, for whom Quake/UT names mean little to nothing.

- Separating the casual from the hardcore is essential. Planning a proper ladder/matchmaking system from the start may do you incredibly good.

I won't tell you how to make a game that both appeals to casual and to your hardcore fans. I don't think anybody has the solution there. I can imagine going for separation of the two player bases, and having a game which is fun (given today's expectation) to the casuals, which slowly introduces them to the mechanics your hardcore fans want and love. A lot of the discussions and effort about Quake and its agglomerate (Warsow, Xnotoic, etc) has been about adding alternative movement mechanics for new players and similar assisted mechanics. Not sure how much of that apply here though. In general, good luck. I really hope this project works out successfully.

>first 4 was literally the plan for quake 1
sounds fine to me.

I WANT A MODERN TAKE ON THE FIRST QUAKE SO FUCKING BAD BROS!! NO MORE MULTIPLAYER MAHREEN STROGG SHIT FOR FUCK SAKES AHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHH!!!!!!!

What is this meme? What does it mean? I keep seeing it posted here. This a cuphead joke? A brainlet wojak edit joke? What is it?

Also OP go play Doombringer.

25 years later I’m still waiting for this game.

Attached: 528B01CD-3645-4E9C-832E-2D493C8AED4D.jpg (317x400, 21K)

This but unironically.
Play Amid Evil in the meantime.

>no more multiplayer
fucking this
arena shooters are dead
quake champions is the last game from id if you want that.
doom 2016 had shit multiplayer and it now sounds awesome with the dark souls like invading instead of generic deathmatch

just build good single player games maybe with some coop. you will never divert attention away from fortnite from zoomers and boomers don't play new games anymore.

>Also OP go play Doombringer.
you mean this?
youtube.com/watch?v=npjoVg1W__E
it looks okay i guess
the protagonist looks like such a dork though

Sepulcher is amazing, although I can't get it to run above 60fps which is absolute cancer.

Literally just remake Quake 3 then add a single-player campaign like nu-doom (don't really care about this but it will make casuals interested).

Quake 3 is still the best FPS, Quake Champions is an abomination.

>Quake live
moving to steam is what killed it

you won't play it
stop pretending you will

I want a sequel to Hexen. Such an awesome game

kino is back on the menu boys

Attached: World Of Padman.jpg (1366x768, 351K)

Hexen 2
Heretic 2
Amid Evil (even has the same blue and green mana, though it's kind of a combination of hexen, unreal, and quake 1, by former rise of the triad devs. it's good though.)

Why can't they just make a real sequel to Quake 1?

what the fuck are you talking about retard

if they literally remade quake 3 you won't play it
stop pretending you would

I would though?

at this point this might become a reality but at the same time everyone would know it'd be 100% the fault of bethesda businessmen

>people still play Q3 and QL even when QC exists
>nobody would play a remake though!!!
based retard

You forgot
>Bringing the series back to its roots
>A new level of accessibility for newcomers to the franchise
Also I actually did only buy wolfenstein the new order for the doom beta, and both games were horrendous

in the style of prey (2006)

>Graphics
>on/off
MY SIDES

Quake is dead, accept it already boomers.

Too late.

Just make Nudoom, but the monsters are more lovecraft or chaos like then straight up demons

Attached: nurgle_champion_by_alexboca_d792mw2-pre.jpg (762x1049, 126K)

QC graphics
Q1 gameplay

You're only here today to post this message because of Quake, you're nothing and the internet is nothing without your lord and savior John Carmack. We'd all be using Powermac's browsing the TVnet while Steve Jobs dances around in a tutu. Your welcome.

Attached: 1564662179234.jpg (932x928, 119K)

Quake Live is a fucking joke. It was just a bunch of retards playing le epic businessmen.

dead or not it's still the best FPS series and you can't prove me wrong

yeah a dozen people
that is surely worth a multi million dollar investment

>NIN does soundtrack. Yes Reznor costs more now than he did then, but Zenimax has deep pockets
>Real marketing, all over the place. Not some half-assed QC shit, not some no-marketing UT shit
>Real level designers. Cohesion. If doing 4 episodes in different worlds / timelines / whatever, split groups up, but check and make sure it isn't a mishmosh of random shit like Quake 1 was (sci-fi? lovecraftian? medieval?)
>Ignore Q2 and Q4 almost completely; maybe have a bonus level where you slipgate into a strogg world or something to appease the Q2/Q4 fans
>No glory kills, but definitely have dismemberment like in Q2 on N64 where you can disarm (literally) enemies
>New weapons but also some returning from Q1. MUST get shotgun, nailgun, grenade launcher right
>Since it's single-player only, railgun existing (and doing 100 damage) is fine.
>Armor and health pickups like Q1
>Inventory system like Duke3D / other build-engine games
>Secrets, secrets, secrets
>Good fast movement system
>No console compromises, but still port to console

QC has usually over 1k people playing and that game is fucking horrible and considered a complete failure by everyone, even id software and bethesda don't acknowledge it's existence.

A decent Quake game would be far more popular.

>launch game
>You must log into your bethesda.net account to continue
>You must accept ZeniMax code of conduct
>You must accept ZeniMax/Id software terms of service
>You must have an internet connection available to play the game
>Okay

youtube.com/watch?v=_T0kYf-EIJw

N64 Q2 had dismemberment?

>A decent Quake game would be far more popular.
no it wouldn't
that is quake live with no players

QC is going to be more dead than QL in a year from now. Screencap this.

a game having 50 players beating a game having 25 players means no one plays these games

> Quake Champ's graphical quality, with a focus on actual optimisation and good perf (which isn't the case with QC).
> Gameplay from Quake 1.
> Custom player models : you can add cosmetics to your Ranger like in TF : your own set, your own dude. No skins. Items should not mess up with the silhouette. Nods to other great Arena FPS protags : The Soldier/The Demoman, Gordon Freeman, Doomslayer, Duke Nukem...
> Server browser & Quickplay system. Matchmaking sends you in both community and official servers.
> Support for competitive 6v6. Cashprize for tournaments are supported through a Compendium-like system : people can get lootboxes/items and like 50 to 75% will support the comp cashprize for tournaments.
> First selling the game for like 15€ during Early access, then later release the game for free, with MTX only for cosmetic stuff, but also adding a drop system so you can get some good stuff for free if you're loyal enough.
> Constantly communicate with the community, to get immediate feedback on features. BETA version of the build available to test features before definitive implementation.
> Support for mod : release of the SDK to make maps and gamemodes, submit items through a Workshop-like system. Community servers can run any custom map and gamemode.

Basically, everything that made TF2 successful,: community involvement, focus on gameplay first, without what sucked, like the matchmaking update. I do believe that if old games like TF2 and CSGO are still played today, it's because Valve really added community support through custom servers, tournaments, non-abusive MTX, etc, and Quake Champ fucked it up very quick by focusing on lootboxes rather than fixing their damn game that stutter like hell on a 970 GTX while it runned as smooth as silk when it released. Fuck Quake Champ.

>he doesnt like slash and anarki

Stop being a fucking shoobie faggot

Quake 1 is signifigantly faster than quake 3, both in speed and twitchiness. You have no idea what you're talking about.

>zoomer too retarded to use steamcharts
steamcharts.com/search/?q=quake

>A graphics style whose primary purpose is to clearly communicate information to the player
this, but also some level of immersive visuals

as much as i hate muddled graphixx bloody screen so real but all enemies are kinda featureless black fidgeting blobs in the distance behind some lenseflare shit, i'm not looking back fondly to the low picmip beige boxes with the odd disjointed texture and green Keel models running around
there's a middleground.

>Trent did Ranger's voice

there is no source on this. according to carmack, all sfx reznor made for quake were thrown away

That is perfect Quake style.

add me in quakechampions bro: Tedi47
steamcommunity.com/profiles/76561198178267555/friends/

i just changed computers so re-installing the game literally right now

QUAKE CHAMPIONS ROOM LETS PLAY

Anyone wanna fuck around?

ID: durrdevil

Attached: 1564279116838.jpg (849x1200, 128K)

just in case you don't know, check out QC:DE for zandronum
I think you'll love it

a bit too wargamingey for my taste

fug

Attached: Quake Champions loadingscre- i mean currently matchmakini- imean.jpg (401x264, 17K)

is that a ballsack or puffy vulva?

>remake Quake 1 single player and remake Quake 3 multi player in the same game

not fucking hard

Are you thinking of Quake 2 or maybe Doom 3? Trent and NIN are explicitly credited for the music and sound effects. Trent himself mentioned in an old interview how odd/silly it was having to just make grunts and shouts into a mic for Ranger's voice, and the Qtest public beta has the original voice files that are blatantly Trent's voice before they were pitched down in the final game. American McGee has also talked about how he got to work alongside Reznor (who at the time was basically his personal hero) and how he helped out with some of the more unorthodox sound effects.

The whole point of anarki is that he is a loud zoomer. He is one of those 90s punk rock loud fags.

voiceacting is good, but i really don't like Ranger and Eisens Asterix and Obelix faces

desu just kind of fuck Eisen in general (his german voice is kind of funny though)

what's wrong with ranger's face? he's one of the better looking of the bunch, especially the q1 skin with the square helmet

I understand your frustration, but he's the perfect example of an aging edgy punk who just never grew out of it. At first he's annoying, but then you realize him being annoying is the funniest shit ever.
He's basically Bam Margera but instead of becoming a fat depressed asshole who still clings to his dark persona he wasn't larping with his pentagrams and managed to be the annoying druggie asshole for all eternity.

I wish you can mix the special skins with other skins. I just want to put my gladiator head on the default skin chest.

Attached: Ranger run.gif (151x200, 56K)

you used to be able to but id patched it like jerks

Also, he's voiced by Oliver Swanick.

I wish the game wasn't so poorly optimized. I can't run the game without constant stutters and random frame dips. I actually enjoyed the game but the people behind the development are so retarded and did retarded things to it, that it made me stop playing it.

Attached: HUH on me.gif (480x368, 994K)

>If it was up to you how would YOU make a quake game in the current space year of 2019?

Semi-horror indie game.
Rehire romero for mapping, get some fresh blood in like the guy that did devils dagger. And just release new high quality maps in a slicker engine.

Have some story to tie it to the Doom/wolfenstein world. but as an observer and not actually connected. Like Some story about a fate weaver trying to steer the story, and the ranger has to sever strands of fate.

Make it a game element too, like you can jump on them and you shoot through the map attached to them. Kind of like the rail system in bioshock infinite.
Would work really well for any large arena areas. But I would focus more on corridors.

because i can't fucking unsee this and other characters didn't get dreamworked up the ass so they look way better

warmed up to Slash's redesign
Galena is excellent
keels q3 brighskin is great
anarkis bone-daddy is great
deathknight is good
strogg is good

Attached: ranger.jpg (928x523, 118K)

user, i'm not sure how to tell you this but you might be mildly autistic
i don't hate you though because you warmed up to slash and we both agree galena is fantastic

Same, now only go once per patch to see if something has improved.

Attached: 1504841460820.jpg (1770x1668, 2.78M)

Ok i'm gonna buy some quake tomorrow
which ones do i get
which ones are good
which ones are shit
which ones can i practice to get good at overwatch :)))

thank you

Attached: 1563817073799.jpg (490x554, 64K)

>buying quake

why are you paying for Quake 2000 + 19, Year of our Lord? Go find a ROM online and use a source port.

Attached: 1543608510908.jpg (418x420, 24K)

What still hurts is the fact that /arena/ died. It was a pretty good general until the waifu fags of /vg/ and discord drama fags decided to join and turned that into a shit general.

i wanna play it on steam

Quake 1+expansion
God tier

Meh tier
Quake 2+expansions

Dead tier
Quake 3

Dying online multiplayer tier
Quake Champions

Never played tier
Quake 4
Territory wars

play Quake Champions, its free
Quake Live is much better but you need to buy it and if you aren't good you will just get raped

You keep making this post but I don't remember ever seeing any discord fuckery at all in /arena/. Lewd posting and waifus for sure, but no discord.

>user, i'm not sure how to tell you this but you might be mildly autistic
this is Yea Forums, where do you think you are?

i'd call you a newfag, but you are my nigger. To say i warmed up to slash is an understatement, i put 700 hours into playing her already. Her movement is incredibly satisfying and I love the way her hair has this subtle exegerrated/german expressionistic point

QC is free. I'm not sure if money spent into the old games goes to the developers in any way, but showing the publishers people are still interested in actually buying a full game like quake is admirable if you want another title to be made in your lifetime.

>Dead tier
>Quake 3
isn't quakelive still sort of alive?
you will absolutely get your fucking ass kicked as a fresh player though

Romero said quake 4 wasn't even quake at that point, probably not worth playing unless you like cawa dooty

no, fuck demons.
Quake should be seperate from doom.

quake 2 isn't quake either

>I love the way her hair has this subtle exegerrated/german expressionistic point
Do you mean her widow's peak? You're right that it's cute.

reminder Carmack considers Quake 3 his magnum opus and it's generally considered the definitive Quake by actual quakefags

Any Unrealfags here? If so, how would you make a new game for this year?

Attached: ut3_1.jpg (350x1400, 132K)

no i mean how her hair is combed back into a point, but it's just slightly pointier bigger than would be possible in the real world.
it's not really noticeable from the front, but in profile it gives her a lot of character and underlines her as 'speedy and aerodynamic'
(also german expressionism was basically interbellum-goth)

So
Quake with or without music?

Attached: c3f[1].jpg (1082x695, 287K)

ok i'll pick 'em all up tomorrow
thanks peppa pig x

Even in the afterlife he spits bars

they are threatening to close the only good forum over here so there's virtually no future ahead

Attached: np34atje.webm (1280x720, 2.9M)

Oh, okay. Yeah, her hair isn't exactly realistic but it's got a slick look to it, moreso than Q3A Slash's kind of chunky Sonic quills. It's also cute the way some of the shorter hairs are all sweaty and matted down the back of her neck but good luck seeing that in-game.

Attached: 1528701621361.jpg (1237x800, 299K)

>dude if you want another tf2, you should shut up and play overwatch

nope

with for SP, without for MP
duh

SP without music is cool. Ambient sounds and monster sounds are really cool and moody.

Just finish UT4 already

FInish the free UT there were working on. INSTANT GOLD.

Romero said that doom 3's gameplay was a perfect match for doom in the same fucking sentence.

Q1's music is all ambience, though.

did you not actually enable the music?

Attached: d05.png (572x607, 379K)

Are you being dumb?

Do you know there is an ambiant sound track, and actual music track that blares music?

The music track isn't in the steam version and needs to be modded in.

>TOO PAINFUL TO BE A DREAM... TOO REAL TO BE A NIGHTMARE
was ranger talking about QC itself?

Just make Devil Daggers have actual levels
Fixed Q1 remake

>Her movement is incredibly satisfying
go play q4max82
her movement is just neutered as fuck

would be nice.

Even a broken clock is right twice a day.

Also doom 3 was actually really neat horror game until you got more than a pistol. Then it's just another corridor shooter except you can't see anything.

This will be DUSK once the dev(singular) finishes the sdk.

>blares music
Literally only the title music.

>Literally only the title music.
okay now I know you just don't know what you're talking about.

damn... i remember this shit... i used to read shaymus young's column on that website back in 2007/2008 and even he bitch about UT3 a lot...
shamusyoung.com/twentysidedtale/?p=1406

anyway i'd start with a unreal engine 4 demo/remake/remaster of Unreal 1
then maybe put a little effort into the free ut prealpha just in case fortnitebux eventually dry up
then make a game set during the human-skaarj wars

reminder that QC was the most balanced quake weapon wise to date until vets bitched that people were using things othrr than rocket/rail/shaft

>he never played with the disc in the drive
youtube.com/watch?v=aCYW6BxVuhA

imagine being this fucking retarded
i dont even know where to begin
rocket splash doing up to 99 is retarded
rocket splash size is retarded
LG dps is retarded, and was literally tied to game framerate for months and months and months until exposed and then patched out / re-coded; new LG does less damage but at least has some pushback again
rail was broken retarded doing 100 damage on zoom and is still fucking retarded doing 90 damage, especially considering how easy it is to hit fatties with their huge hitboxes, and how little health skinnyfags can stack (nyx, anarki, etc), dying in like 2-3 rails instead of 4-5 like in QL

no grenade launcher completely ruins defensive options, and the tribolt is fucking useless in comparison
nailgun doesn't have the same area denial that giant plasma balls do, so you can't spam a hallway the same way with the same width
starting shotgun is too good, SSG was too good so they nerfed it now it's useless, from 140 to 120, should be 130 with less damage falloff than it has now.

hilariously enough the most broken weapon in the game is the heavy machinegun. it's just an infinite-range LG at this point.

this

QL was pretty much perfect weapon balance before they nerfed LG from 7 to 6

Pretty sure the game's plot would not be that bad recieved if the made it as just Unreal 3.

Especially vexing when you see Unreal Championship 2 where a proper plot was made for the SP and actually worked because it was in the center of a Tournament.

Attached: 5a1e44a49e72e0640352b1fa6bc0de8d.jpg (650x1040, 342K)

gameplay maybe, but visually its more complex. dont really care which you favor this is just observable. i dont feel like anything in quake really "looks" like anything. wasn't until quake 2 when the pile of squares actually tried to look like something

Attached: 20190627164021_1.jpg (1920x1080, 239K)

Realistically?
> Owned by Shithesda
> Put Machinegames on it
> Corridor shooter
> Co-op shooter feat. Ranger twin daughters
> Add some Q1 lore flavor
> Add SJW political message ( "Lovecraft was a racist reee" )
> Most importantly: add a fuckton of MTs and ingame currency

There, here's your nu-Quake

bunch of cool shit in episode 2 so far

Attached: mesmerizing-2019-07-10_13.42.04.webm (640x360, 2.06M)

no Political Correctness bullshit
>instant profit

Fuck no. DUSK is "My first mappak.bsp" and should be shamed as the bargain bin shovelware it is.

>If it was up to you how would YOU make a quake game in the current space year of 2019?

Not really doable. Especially after people having a bad taste in their mouths after Quake Champions.

No point at all to make it singleplayer when Doom exists to fill that niche and you would have to severely rework and improve the base MP experience of Quake Arena for it to even be remotely appealing to people today.

It's just a bad time to make a Quake game now.

Attached: 1329474844862.png (320x287, 107K)

It's still way better than Daikatana that's for sure

>nailgun doesn't have the same area denial that giant plasma balls do, so you can't spam a hallway the same way with the same width
i thought plasma were always points in q3 and that they only made them bigger in QC, or is my memory failing me right now. Or do you just mean the visual obstruction of the bubbles.

You're fucking dumb and blind.

post even one better quake 1 screenshot

Attached: Screenshot_2019-08-01_19-43-13.png (1548x870, 1.54M)

unreal championship / unreal championship 2 plot was just ripoff of UT2K4 for console faggot xbot niggers
but yes, it worked a lot better
desu i loved UT2K4's team management aspect where you hire different bots and maintain a roster and they get injuries and shit so you might even save your good players for the next CTF match or TDM match or w/e
it was great

Anything I post you'll call brown shit, even though Dusk is grey shit that looks even worse because it has zero cohesive art style or texture sizes. Then they vomited neon lights all over it.

>Co-op shooter feat. Ranger twin daughters
>> Add SJW political message ( "Lovecraft was a racist reee" )
>> Most importantly: add a fuckton of MTs and ingame currency

It's sad because it's true.
Quake never got a single player because you can't push a political message through it like you can with wolf and doom.

Attached: 1564680980667.png (209x219, 18K)

they have a collision radius

you dont even know me faggot!!

Attached: 519860_20180131124938_1.png (1920x1080, 264K)

Pumpkin Hill was my favorite SA2 level as well, but I don't see how it's related.

I havent been to quakecon in 5 years. It sounds like it has gotten way corportized and gay as fuck. No Todd. No more free shit. No more contests or raffles. No more fun.

Rip quakecon

well fug then i never realized that and overestimated my aiming abilities

I'd hire John Romero to do the maps. Dude probably needs money anyway so he shouldn't be too hard to get on board.

What political message did Doom have?

what about half life

Attached: 519860_20180725173257_1.png (1920x1080, 377K)

quake champions is actually pretty good now. the game shouldnt be as dead as it is

Just got back from Qcon, literally the only thing on your list that you were right about was no Todd this year. You're right about it being corporatized in certain ways, but not in any of the ways you listed. Also who gives a fuck about a Bethesda meme man at what should be an ID con?

>unreal championship / unreal championship 2 plot was just ripoff of UT2K4 for console faggot xbot niggers
ACKCHYUALLY, UC1 came before 2003 and the plot is that some evil aliens conquered and forced everyone else to fight for their amusement. It wasn't very popular so the devs toned the grimdark to "just a new tournament" for 2003/2004.

UC2 for its part, plot is that the space egyptians are going to decide their next pharaoh by a little tournament, but Liandri wants to use it to slave them and (You)/Anubis had to stop them by, of course, winning.

Attached: 1500743066150.jpg (498x561, 187K)

A few years ago I thought something like this would be the most likely outcome. Was surprised when Quake Champions was announced.

i just cannot run it. i want to play it pretty bad, it has more players than quake live so i could at least get some more variety. but i cannot even run it on lowest. i dont understand how i can run the game on a setting that actually looks far worse than a game from 2000 and it still run at exactly the same fps. all the options settings are cosmetic and i think its stupid

Attached: 611500_20180707054402_1.png (1280x720, 804K)

I'd feel nothing. I already know this is the state of things.

> Demons bad

time to upgrade the amiga gramps

Out of all the id software protagonists I feel the most sorry for Bitterman.

i have a beastly pc and only get like 120 frames on ultra

Use a modified version of the new Doom Engine that allows for more enemies
Keep glory kills but make them less mandatory and require skill shots like RE4 suplex/round house kicks
Use slip gates to travel to various lovecraftian fantasy and dark scifi settings
Have a part that takes place in Quake 2's universe

Also everything said

Attached: 83B7DC859A0BCD8578F7EE282358481A6C7FBD06[1].png (548x552, 442K)

Attached: 1561394077385m.jpg (688x1024, 86K)

>download champions
>do tutorial
>first queue after that is 15mins
why bros..

Attached: cat yell cry.jpg (530x530, 46K)

What region? Be sure to click that little world icon on the bottom right of the main menu and select all the data centers that have sub 100ms ping.

>time to upgrade
>for a dying arena fps
are you playing? i want to play it but its not a thousand dollar game. i absolutely only want to play maybe fallout 4 and doom 4 and only because im a fanboy for games in those series so i dont even think im gunna really like them

Playing the Quake I/II mods in VR was so fucking great. I kept thinking how amazing this would have seemed to me back then. VR really needs more sit down games.

Literally the only reason I want a VR set is to wander around shit like Forgotten Sepulcher in immersive as fuck first person. I don't even need to figure out how to move or shoot things or whatever, and performance isn't a worry because it's a twenty year old game so running it at double res is no problem. I just want to be IMMERSED.

It's out. It's called Daikatana, and it fucking sucks.

They still do the pc perspective give aways and ventrillo quick draws?

Good to hear. I heard from people it keeps getting lamer each year. No free booze at the after party this year apparently.

PC Per hasn't been back in a while sadly, and the dipshits in charge moved the Quake finals to Sunday so the finals party is just some "block party" where they show the case mod finalists and some other stuff.
There's tons of fun pickup tournaments in the BYOC, but that user was right about corporate shit messing around in other places. For instance, they had god damn metal detectors and increased security this year, meaning that on Day 1 you'd have to get in line to get back in to the BYOC if you left to piss. The event is still really enjoyable, and there's still plenty of opportunities to get free shit, but man if they just brought back PC Perspective + an actual Finals Party, things would be so much better.

>Mortally challenged
No. Almost nothing from this autistic pastebin has been improved at all. The game runs worse every patch. It has a shitty fortnite battlepass now. No good. Hit detection still fucked. Freezes on LAN during tournaments. Shit game.

God I love championship 2. Melee added a sweet as new layer to traditional movement.

>Tokens Collected: 8/8
>Pick up the mega health
>Small health: Item; respawn time: 15 seconds
Is this fucking real? I never played QC. Did they cuck it this hard? Is there daily quests like "grab 3 red armors" and shit like that? Fuck my life.

>only 15 minutes
these are baby numbers

Attached: 5959.jpg (1652x1153, 238K)

that is part of the tutorial

Oh come on, that's a joke more than a serious political stance

fuck ok
i looked it up though you have to paly other modes to """unlock""" duel? lmao and you have to do this every time they reset their quarterly battlepass shit?

Former player here. So far yes.

what are you even queued for

That screenshot must be old, because since a quite share of time it actually tells what are you waiting for.

yea i havent played in like a year
but it was duel.

>qw physics
>hard
lol, spoken like someone that has 5 mins on qw and thinks they’re an elite gamer pro for basic movement.

QC is pretty much perfect, i'd just add more content.

Like a proper network?

>counter strike ended quake's life

Attached: dcvcozy-796d38f7-68ca-4d52-8825-4f49bf8890cf.gif (323x233, 1.54M)

A quake game with no community servers is no quake game.

agreed

>wallrunning and bunnyhopping
>good pistol that isn't thrown into dump after discovering better weapons
>limit story to intermissions between some levels, let the leveldesign tell bulk of the story.

QC killed Quake and you are delusional if you think they will make a new Quake game anytime soon.

Pic related is the last hope for true Quake fans.

Attached: file.png (1552x873, 1.31M)

diabotical looks like a kiddie game

my normalfag friends thought this should come out n the switch

But so many Quake/Doom clones have released over the years and yet YOU never play it. Why do you virtue signal just for the sake of sounding like a hardcore gamer? You don't fucking play it. So stop asking for things you wouldn't put time into.

Attached: D9vZY1LUwAAeEwf.jpg (470x313, 28K)

if they were good we'd play them
they're shit, worse than rehashes, total garbage

you can't strafe jump with a controller

just like OW and Fortnite

QC is ugly

No. You're wrong on so many levels. Actually play these games if you're actually wanting your retro shooters you fucking knucklehead. Stop acting like you're down with these twitch shooters when you're actually not. Stop virtue signaling dumbfuck.

Attached: maxresdefault (26).jpg (1280x720, 175K)

dusk is really bad
i've played at least a dozen quake 1 map packs that are better than dusk

Ok poser I believe you

I appreciate what Dusk, Amid Evil, Ion Fury, etc, are trying to do, but unfortunately, they fail to match, let alone exceed, game quality from the mid 90s.

Ion Fury is worse than Duke3d, Blood, Shadow Warrior, etc...
Dusk is good but doesn't quite reach Q1 or Q2 levels
Amid Evil is a nice spiritual successor to Hexen but the level design and enemy variety / design is so very weak, it just makes me want to replay Hexen.

How come people can't make an old school shooter that doesn't suck? Even Romero's Sigil is garbage compared to most doom wads.

AE has way more enemy variety than Hexen. You're blinded by nostalgia.

Bring back Quake Wars. It's gameplay is more palatable to zoomers them arena shooters and it was fucking fun.

Attached: 1526470314989.jpg (750x716, 45K)

What happened to Quake Live? The original Quake games? Why isn't there an actual community of you guys playing that together?

There is, though. QL is only player-server driven, and it's doing great.

>188 active players

Lol no.

By all rights we should still be playing Q3A but fucking modern kids can't be assed to figure out how to set up a fucking server because modern shitgaming has trained them that every fucking company has to set up their own fucking tightly controlled server system.

Host us a server, pops! Show us how it's done

Attached: fat.png (494x456, 402K)

>Ad q3 railgun

uh how about no

>Nah you're just shit and you don't like qw physics because it's too much for you.

qw movement is literally easier than cpm and vq3 because you just need to hold a or d in the air and you can bhop in all directions, cumbrain

Attached: mega brainlet.png (403x448, 53K)

Amid Evil is nothing like Hexen, anyone who actually played Hexen knows this. The two aren't even remotely comparable.

These threads are all full of posturing retards

>ZOOMER
>CPM IS THE BEST GAME EVAH VQ3 SUXX!!1
>NO QUAKEWORLD IS
>QUAKE 3 IS THE BEST FPS EVER
>/vr/fags larping

You were never good at any of these games, retards. You can't even do b2r. Stop larping as a quake player. No actual players are in here. Playing your shit friends and moving around at 320ups on your 56k 20 years ago doesn't mean you are qualified to pretend like you know anything about arena shooters. Actual competitive players were 1% of these games' populations at their peak popularity and everyone else (you) was a casual, playing shitter modes like FFA or CA instead of duel, basically making you the fortnite zoomer of the day riding a trend. It's the same as fighting game pretenders on here.

Now shut the FUCK up and stop making these shit threads and go back to /vr/ where you can larp your heart out.

Attached: 1517803144698.jpg (698x658, 136K)

only thing faster in quake is rocket travel and weapon switch speed. the ability to easily gain and continue momentum by rjing off walls made q3 retarded.

Thank you

you're legit arguing that vq3 is faster than qw lmao I'm done

>Wojack and Cumbrain
Based Trendster Faggot.

Actually have a villain named Quake that you have to stop.

>a casual, playing shitter modes like FFA or CA instead of duel
I resent this. CA was where everyone went to hone their skills. I'd argue it's a far more skillful mode because you can't luck out with spawns and you can't keep your opponent weak you're always fighting a stacked opponent. And CA by itself is meh. All the other maps combined with the big CA map -- Rocket Arena was the best Quake game ever made. Shitters don't play CA because they get shit on and quit. Bad players don't like spending all their free time sitting on the sideline watching as they always die immediately. You duelfags are the problem with Quake. You're elitists and you badmouth the things that other people want to play but the truth be told you're nit even that good. I've played against far better players in CA than I've seen in duels. Real men play CA because it's more exciting to play. Quake duel is for autismos.

only aimlets complain about CA

>b2r
>hard
lol

haha i was on that exact stage earlier today

do people really play Quake for the single player? lol

it's dated boomer shit and was always drastically inferior to Doom anyway (which has since been rendered obsolete by the 2016 reboot and soon Doom Eternal as well)

Why does it need a new game? Why not just play Quake 1-2-3? All you guys are just going to do is hate new shit them adding things will just piss you guys off anyways.

I'd just slap a Lovecraftian theme on Doom 2016 and replace the double jumping & grappling with strafejumping. Difficulty corridor needs to be in.

With ray tracing ;)

Prey 2006's anti-grav gimmick but good and with a lovecraftian theme.

You couldn't use a smaller pic?
I have to go all the way across the room to do cross-eye 3D.

>LAN play
How does QC still not have this?
How are they running tournaments without it?

clips.twitch.tv/SpoopyPrettiestMosquitoRedCoat
clips.twitch.tv/CleanSillyLobsterKappaWealth
Game literally freezes up during fucking MATCHES BEING PLAYED FOR MONEY.

>1's setting and aesthetic

My nigga

kek'd q2 rtx kek

LOL what a joke

Diabotical can not come soon enough...

>Diabotical
I guarantee you guys will fucking play it for about a good month and move on. Just like what you did with the other Twitch shooters. And don't give me that crap about all of them sucking.

Arcane Dimensions with more min-bosses, monster variety, more shenanigans (for example: some environmental hazards more creative than lava or pits); and finally a more interconnected-presistent world: the central hub shouldn't just be a glorified level selector.

I might get burnt for this, but I would like a continuation of Quake 4 because I really enjoyed it

>larper calling others larper
>sprinkles in lingo he read from a wiki and watched a retrospective video essay to make it look like he knows what he's talking about
yea nah, I'd rather read the opinions on what it takes for quake to appeal to modern audience today from that audience then some shit like this

Inseminate me now

Attached: no hats.jpg (512x384, 37K)

that's the point retard

it will die as fast as MidAir did for all the tribes fans (of which there were many more than quake fan)

ideally they could do a continuation of quake 1
and a continuation of quake 4
like a strogg saga / trilogy should be its own thing
and the lovecraftian thing should be its own thing

>sticking Quake CD-ROM into family hi-fi setup and getting interdimensional screams and moaning
fucking take me back

Add me if you wanna play QW, QL, QC, AG, or any other random AFPS game. Duel or otherwise.
steamcommunity.com/id/xbeelzebub/

Attached: hentaifingering6.gif (240x160, 889K)

notice that the defining feature of arena dudes is that they're unhappy and angry when getting new games

I wouldn't because quake live and quake champions both provide me equal amounts of jollies at the moment (warm up with QL, then play QC)

Attached: 00J7314.jpg (200x200, 7K)

>Get the original level designers of the game
>Let them make an entire game's worth of levels in the amount of detail that the original game has
>Fire them all once they're done
>Get a bunch of talented level artists to analyze the levels and populate them with aesthetic changes that don't change how the levels play in any way but actually make them look like they're places instead of arbitrary-shaped vidya levels
>Create thematic variants of all the monsters used in the levels for each episode or special levels so that black magic enemies are medieval dark fantasy and gothic themed and elder enemies are lovecraftian abominations

Attached: 1557306355300.png (504x676, 411K)

Yes and no, mostly failed boomers that never cared about Quake as much as they cared about feeling like a kid again.
There is also the issue of Quakeworld being objectively better than Q2, and CPMA being objectively better than both. Splitting communities between them. QuakeLive i guess is good as it solved some problems, but it still felt like it was dividing the community again. Quake 4/ET were just uninspired boring, and LESS than their predecessors.
I think Quake Champions is okayish, but the lack of modding support and attempts to appeal to new users is a finger in the eyes of a lot of actual fans, fans that still play QL despite of it hoping it gets better.
It's just not a big genre, and ID keeps dividing the community with little benefit to the fans, and attempting to force us into paid skins/servers etc by removing modding.
Quake should just be a tech demo with a engine as suitable for modding as possible, a cool singleplayer campaign is just a bonus.
There is a reason we complain, other than just being failed boomers.

Attached: cockshambler.jpg (800x800, 65K)

You got the gravity falls one?

it's all gone now

you take quake 1 and just make more of it. don't touch the gameplay and just slightly touch up touch the graphics; give the textures a little higher pixel count but keep them unfiltered, give the monsters more polys, touch up the weapon models just a bit. trenchbroom support. more features for vis and light, more entities and func options to play with. more eldritch horrors. and then i would make more hexen.

Quake 3, but VR.

>better presentation
What the fuck are you talking about? Dusk is ugly as literally any whos first map/mod. No art direction, just a big mess of random low poly assets with out of place shaders and shit

Q1 with nudoom graphics, more enemies and railgun

>I think Quake Champions is okayish, but the lack of modding support and attempts to appeal to new users is a finger in the eyes of a lot of actual fans, fans that still play QL

Fuck off with these posers and nostalgia faggots thinking they actually matter in the Quake community. None of you are actually playing anything Quake related at all.

That's why you play this game instead

Attached: Strafe1-noscale.jpg (1280x720, 277K)