Hotline Miami came out in 2012

>Hotline Miami came out in 2012
>Hotline Miami 2 came out in 2015

Why did this series die?

Attached: Hotline_Miami_2_-_Key_Art_No_Logo.0.0.jpg (1600x900, 297K)

HM2 was shit.

It was a gimmick stretched out too thin by the time the 2nd game was made.

2 games were enough. You get your fill from playing either game. After the second one you don't want more.

The second game was an extended commentary that meta-narratively screamed "we are done with this series and are out of ideas, please enjoy what you have and let us do something else with our time, you fucking madmen".

>die
the developers openly said this is the end and they didn't want to create any more HM games.

Try The Hong Kong Massacre if you want something similar.

git gud

God I wish there was a HM3. Nothing quite hits the same spot. Many of devolved digitalis games clearly try to capture the same magic, but they always fail.

Go fuck yourself nigger

It didn't die, you retard. They told the story of the games and did all they wanted. There's nothing else to be done with the game.

Attached: HOTLINE MIAMI.png (500x500, 321K)

no u

HM2 has a level editor, and the engine is perfect, make your own fucking Hotline Miami (seriously we need more high-quality map sets)

I just want a live action movie, why won't anybody touch this?

Relatively cheap to make, wouldn't need stars just the right music and cinematography.

Drive

It's not thought is it, there's like three scenes of action.

A Hotline Miami movie would be 70% single camera action-scenes and 30% atmosphere and exposition.

John Wick

HM2 has mod support. It'll live forever.

>Rampant fans who miss the point are a key part of the plot
>WHY ISNT THERE A THIRD HM GAME
There is anyways, it's called Travis Strikes Again

Yes much closer to what is needed, just need that synth soundtrack, creepy masks and that would be a hit movie...or straight to DVD shit that only I would buy

Both games were good but as many user are saying ITT they ran out of creative juice in the second.

Because the dev couldn't be bothered to make the third game he'd set up so he bullshitted his way into convincing everyone that the ending was some kind of avant-garde statement.
>UH ACTUALLY ME TEASING THE THIRD GAME WAS SUPPOSED TO GET YOUR HOPES UP FOR A CONTINUATION THAT DOESN'T EXIST BECAUSE NO STORIES EXIST IN A NUCLEAR HOLOCAUST UGH *SNFFF* SO DEEP
Fuck off you meatball munching twat.

devs are based and knew when to retire a series

Wish they would just put out more soundtracks even if they arent gonna make more games

HM1 is the only game I pirated, finished and then bought
It's such a great series with godtier aesthetics

Attached: ffdb0725426125.5634518054fca.png (600x900, 565K)

It wasn't that, I think they had a bunch of interesting stories to tell and HM2 does have an anthology horror vibe to it at times, especially with Richard being a connecting theme. But the issue with it was that when 80% of the gameplay is the same regardless of character, it all falls flat. Beard's levels were an interesting concept for example, but failed in execution even if they were some of the most visually interesting, and I liked the Writer's levels too since it encouraged either going too far and killing everyone, or taking it a little slower and disarming people rather than killing them.

>Literal nuclear holocaust means that all of the problems of the characters were ultimately futile
>Duhh where's the sequel
It wasn't a teaser/ It was the entirety of HM3. HM3 was nothing, because there is nothing.

I mean Furi has some good music in a similar vibe and the artists featured were just licensed so follow them and their work.

This. You can't really make anything better than 1st HM from that idea.

Hardcore Henry should've been a Hotline Miami movie.

Because it ended, and the ending was good, and we don't need more. Hotline Miami 1 and 2 are some of the best games ever made, and I don't need more.

You have dogshit taste. Hotline Miami 2 improved on the first game.

>cheap, easy-to-produce game that was literally built on Game Maker software
>release two games in relatively quick succession that become cult hits and help to put Devolver on the map
>completely drop it and never make another one
It is puzzling. The games seem incredibly cheap and easy to make. I can't imagine why they would drop the series after two hits, even if the second one was somewhat divisive.

>There is anyways, it's called Travis Strikes Again
You forgot the Devolver Bootleg version

Jacket and Biker both end up in scenarios where they could've survived. Biker is out in the sticks and Jacket is surrounded by several feet of concrete. Fifty Blessings have a giant fucking bunker-vault filled to the brim with capitalist kingpins and CEOs. Hotline Miami 3 was going to be set in their idealised rebuilt cyberpunk corpo-future. It's a completely cliche set up. Ending the series there was absolutely a cop-out.

>It wasn't a teaser/ It was the entirety of HM3. HM3 was nothing, because there is nothing.
*SNFFFFFF*

That's HM4. TSA was January, Devolver Bootleg was June. Is it any good? I've not picked it up yet.

I think implying that it all ended completely outside of any of our characters' control is a perfect ending though. The entire point of Richard is that none of them can escape death.

>thinking several feet of concrete can withstand a nuclear blast
user you do know he was most likely held in the city of Miami yeah

Attached: 1474222574059.png (1053x1600, 840K)

It didnt need a sequel after 2. Further innovation would be completely unecessary.

Because they finished doing what they wanted.
If you watch interviews these guys dont card about being big they care about doing what they want to do. Tell the story they wanted to tell.

>shoot a cop with an uzi
>his pixel insides fall out rofflmao
the novelty of this won't last forever

It's puzzling to me too. I get it, they were probably burnt out on it and felt the well was dry... but why publicly say shit like that and have a story-line that literally nukes the entire setting out of existence for very little payoff?

Just don't make it for a few years, no need to shit on the franchise. You don't see Nintendo devs who are no doubt burnt out after developing Mario going on camera and saying "Mario's a used up meme kids hehe, all the ideas have been explored we decided to have Bowser rape peach and Mario commit suicide to end the series"

You could very easily expand the Hotline Miami series into 2 or 3 movies.
>Hotline Miami: Midnight Animal
>details the first half of the events of Wrong Number, focuses on the Fans, Pardo as a stereotypical detective protagonist, the Midnight Animal movie, and Evan's attempts at writing a book. References Jacket's murders extensively but doesn't show us them. Ends with the Fans dying in the Son's HQ.
>Hotline Miami: Fifty Blessings
>prequel, goes back to the original murder spree by Jacket. Gives a more coherent personality to Jacket, now named Richard, as he slowly goes insane following the orders from his answering machine. Richard does not realize that 50 Blessings is behind everything. Pardo is referenced in one or two scenes, and Richter is introduced near the end as another operative. The ending plays out the same. Also included are flashbacks to the Soldier's scenes.
>Hotline Miami: Wrong Number
>follows the second half of the events of Wrong Number, focusing on Pardo in a more sinister, schizophrenic light, the Son, who is getting more and more destructive, Richter and his escape from prison, and Evan meeting with Biker and finding out who 50 Blessings is. The ending to Wrong Number is the same as Midnight Animal's, but from the Son's point of view, then the ending plays out as normal.
Could play out as a decent murder / political drama with lots of weird psychological shit like Richard (the chicken, not Jacket), and 50 Blessings. You'd have to clean up the cast, take out irrelevant shit like Jake and the Henchman, focus on the core characters and the fallout of Richard's spree.

Yes it should have!

Few synth tracks, that would of been amazing.

Netflix would probably pick it up

It's shit (on purpose) but you can get your Hotline Miami fix for less than an hour and refund it. How's TSA? I'm planning to pick it up as soon as I finish Killer is Dead.

This isnt a franchise like mario.
They had a specific story they wanted to tell and they did so. They had a vision of a game and they brought it into being. No need to milk it.

HM1 and 2 are two halves of a story about violence.
What better way to end it then with the greatest expression of violence possible? What better way to show the self-destructive nature of this escalating cycle of revenge?
Then if people want more of the gameplay they have the level editor. If people want more of the music, all the music used was third-party and those artists are still releasing tracks. It's great.

It's like asking why Apocalypse Now doesnt have a sequel despite being popular.

Fuck yeah, I would take this.

TSA is a good beat 'em up and a very SUDA Suda game, since it basically links all of them together. It doesn't actually play anything like Hotline Miami, it just has some inspiration in the final level.

They didn't make SMB planning ahead 5 games and into the 3D era. They just made a game, it did really well, so they kept making similar games.

Same happened with HM. It's pretty obvious to me that the ideas for HM2 were developed after HM1 was out and started doing well. HM1's story is self contained and there was no narrative need for HM2 to talk about "The Fans" or some random crazy detective or the mob boss' son.

HM2's story was a mess with a "profound" ending enacted off-camera by people we never see.

>Netflix would probably ruin it

There's always The Midnight Animal

GOT EM

Didn't die, the devs wrapped everything up in 2 so there's no reason to make more games

Attached: 1479176125084.jpg (922x1426, 419K)

Because the devs literally nuked the series.

because they tried to give it a shitty story

1's story is comically simplistic compared to 2. 2's story added a lot more depth to the themes of the first game. 2 did a good job of making 1 just seem like a small piece of a bigger puzzle.

Every single playable character in 2 is meant to expand upon Jackets rampage by showing the effect it has had on people and how people perceive it.
The Fans show those who revel in the violence against Russians and want to be Jacket (the devs also confirmed they represent players who wanted 2 to be exactly like 1)
Evan Wright is the attempt to understand the big picture behind Jacket and the calls and 50 blessings.
The Son and the Henchman showcase Hotline Miami through the other side. The mooks Jacket endlessly killed in the first game.
Pardo is an anomaly. He doesnt care about and solely resents Jacket. Particularly his fame. Pardo hallucinates camera crews and appears in the Pig Butchers final scene. He's filled with the desire for attention competing against similar violence.
Richter and Beard are self-explanatory.

They all answer questions posed by the first game. Every character (except Jake) has been severely affected by Jacket. They complete his story.

The world got fucking nuked and everyone died. Seems like a fitting end if you ask me.