This is unironically the best indie game of 2019. It's legitimately so good. Can we have a thread about this game?

This is unironically the best indie game of 2019. It's legitimately so good. Can we have a thread about this game?

Attached: outer wilds.jpg (460x215, 37K)

Other urls found in this thread:

youtube.com/watch?v=UYK_TbANxVM
youtube.com/watch?v=ShkghHvLXls
twitter.com/SFWRedditVideos

Yeah its really good.

is it finished now?

>indies
Ew.

I think you mean 2020.

Yeah it looks really good, shame it's not out yet.

The best part it's EGS exclusive

>The first time getting launched into space by a tornado on Giant's Deep

Attached: shock.jpg (629x590, 18K)

>Quality the game

>walking simulator but with spaceships
>best indie game

I remember playing this game 5 or 6 years ago when it was spammed on Yea Forums constantly. It was alpha tho. very cozy theme

Attached: riyba.jpg (640x640, 69K)

nope, it's just not out yet on Steam

I wasn't even a huge fan of this game and I can say you're a massive brainlet if you think that.

It is unironically one of the greatest games ever created, I have no doubt of this.

You ever talk to Chert throughout the cycle?
lil dude figures out what's happening and loses it

oh no :( chert's music is the sickest, too

Attached: final moments.jpg (1003x1079, 141K)

more like worst
fucking student proyect

It's out now on EGS and Xbox but you can pirate it if you care that much. I just think more people should play it because it's genuinely original in almost every facet of its gameplay.

makes no sense.
die off

I'll check it out

Yeah, doesn't he become super stoic at the end? Does every explorer have a different reaction to the Supernova? I only witnessed Chert.

>not on GOG
No thanks, though I guess I'll pirate it if I'm really bored.

>he doesn't know
first it was a student project
then it was a kikestarter
then they fucking sold out

what is it about? what do we do in it?

I like it because Tim gave us it for free!

The song that plays in the final moments is oddly relaxing, it grew on me the more I played. Even if it meant time had run out....

>The music that kicks in when you take the warp core that's a new version of the supernova theme.
Holy kino bros. My heart never raced like that. That final climatic voyage was a great experience.

I do know, it just literally doesn't matter.
>sold out
lmao it's an amazing game stfu

>buying games from a shitty sellout dev

Easily my GOTY

youtube.com/watch?v=UYK_TbANxVM

unironically kino

ludo indeed, my dude. I did it once and crashed super fast into the bramble.... was epic still

Far as I know he was the only one, since he's on the ember twin to watch the stars for changes. And, well, they start to die off faster and faster and he notices.
If you talk to him at the end I believe you get a ship log entry mentioning he goes catatonic or something like it.

like i said,
die off

I feel like the terms "epic" and "amazing" get thrown around by redditors who get overly emotional at the end of games, but this game actually fits those words perfectly. The supernova is an incredible visual moment and it's backed up by this perfect music that makes you feel like accepting death. It's incredible.

Discover what is causing a timeloop, and what you need to do to stop it. Puzzle solving, physic obstacle courses, and racing against time. There's a part near the 'end' of the game where you have about 10 minutes in the time loop and you have to race from one planet to another all while avoiding giant angler fish without getting lost.

What was your scariest experience playing this game? For me it was the first time falling into the black hole on Brittle Hollow. This game really nails cosmic terror even when I don't think it tries to.

press a button for supernova

The first time the sun supernovas is also a really memorable moment because it comes with no warning at all (save the sun looking bigger and redder) and having your first ever exploration end in a giant flash of blue is something you don't really forget easily,

most significantly, I think, is that it is a game with progression based entirely in player knowledge and nothing abstract like unlocks or keys. so LEAVE THIS THREAD

It's basically a game where the only thing you unlock is information. You're in a solar system that explodes every 22 minutes because a comet hits the sun, but any notable thing you find is logged back on this huge information map in your computer for subsequent runs. There are only a handful of planets, but there's so much stuff on each of them and they are fantastically designed. The whole narrative structure of this game is really cool, because you technically could beat it in the first cycle, but the whole game revolves around finding new clues and information until you can due it. It's an awesome game.

What was the point of the quantum moon?
you can easily skip it and you don't miss out on any important information at all

I would argue that the sun doesn't explode because of the comet hitting it! I'd say it has more to do with the bigger event happening in the universe, since all the stars in the sky are also going supernova.

lore, KNOWLEDGE

lol

yeah, lore and KNOWLEDGE that you can easily find out in other places instead of doing a puzzle

its an extremely cool puzzle, it teaches you a lot about the eye, plus you meet a niomi

Did anyone else not realize the environment in the quantum moon changes with the planet it orbits until you did the trick with the tower to force teleport? It just never occurred to me.
Also
The nomai conversation on the sixth location was kino.

the big reward, imo, is meeting the last living Nomai. It was significant to my journey at least, but it was also the least fun part of the game.

From writing in the Vessel and from what Chert saw, i think we're in the heat death of the universe.

You get a slightly nicer ending sequence with a new friend if you visit the moon and meet the friend there. Also it changes the ending theme song. Also it's just kinda cool and creepy.

Also doing that gives you a different ending from what I know

Yeah, Chert even has a really good line about it, "Why did we have to be born at the end of the universe?"
Kind of a really scary thing to think about.

What's the difference in the ending without Solanum? Does it actually change or is she just not there at the fire?

so what do u do in the game what type of game is it

Not there to contribute to the song that plays.

how the fuck was I supposed to know about the twin ark project teleportation shit? I had every single journal entry. I caved in there and looked it up, got fed up by that point.

BITCH!

Thank you, OP. Just got it on PirateBay

So i've filled out the puzzle map. If i'm right i have to go to the ash twin project and remove the core, then fly into the dark bramble put the core into the vessel, enter the coordinance, then warp to the eye.
my question is what happens if i die after i remove the core. Do i have to start the entire game over?

It's adorable how they thank you for being patient with their writing and inability to communicate properly. qt alien

i kinda dropped it since i have to go the brable plannet and im too scared of the fish

No problem user! Even if you don't want Epic to have your money, I still think people should play it.

brainlet

You die, and it kicks you to the menu. But you don't lose your ship log progress or anything.

6 Teleporters, only 5 locations. One of them had to take you somewhere you hadn't been before.

No. But you do get a fake "ending" where you die

There's a few really interesting ways to get a game over in this game. You ever mess with the experiment in the high energy lab on ember twin?

Yeah. I didn't feel like this was really that obtuse like some people said it was. It was pretty clear on the high energy lab diagram that that tower warps you somewhere in the hourglass twins, either in the Ash or Ember one. The sand is basically part of the Ash twin, so that's why it had to be directly overhead to get in. The sand part is retarded but people should have figured that that warp pad had something to do with these planets and a place you couldn't access otherwise.

I tried to teleport, but I mean about the under the inside the tornado stuff. and no, that body on the floor isn't enough of a clue t. probably watched his epic twitch streamers playing it for him. fuck off

>When she says she considers you a friend.
Great moment. The last survivor of a doomed race and a space explorer in a time loop forming a connection like that is cute.

Yeah I pumped the power up and threw some scouts in. I'm guessing if I opened the door and let sand in everything would be totally fucked?

I can't imagine they stole the name from outer worlds but it really trips a lot of people up.
The gameplay itself isn't very good imo.
The actual gameplay loop is very hands off which I'm not a fan of.

I might be wrong but there should be some writing on the black hole forge about it as well. The hints were there, just gotta try it! I do agree the sand timing stuff was annoying, but at least it made some sense in how the warps were meant to work.

How did the Ayys die in their houses?
How did Brittle Hollow still exist after hundreds of years of having a black hole in the middle?
What was the deal with the comet?
Why did the Ayys spend entire generations building the "time travel" project that was based around a supernova before figuring out they can't actually produce supernovas?

>I can't imagine they stole the name from outer worlds
you think?

Let me ask you this. For a tiny fraction of a second there exists two scouts in the lab, the one about to go in the warp and the one exiting before it. What if the first scout doesn't finish the warp? It has nothing to do with the sand. Go try it! It's memorable.

Starvation or somethin maybe
Brittle Hollow was always hollow, but it wasn't always so brittle, and I think the Lantern was getting really destructive by the time you get there.
It was an interloper, brought the ghost matter necessary to explode the sun, trigger the thing that kills u
They had a plan and were desparate

if you can't like Outer Wilds then I think you are actually an asshole.

The core of Giants Deep was spooky as fuck. I was afraid that some giant kraken would eat my ship.

On Giants Deep I got dunked, shipless, into the water and had a island get dropped from orbit merely inches away from me. Was such a cool moment to see.

user! Read your ship logs and the logs inside the comet! The comet entering the system, the Nomai being wiped out, and the sun dying have huge time differences! Remember what you learn at the start of the game? Ghost matter has been dying out for centuries.

user, she's been dead for a long time. She even says it so herself. Also the moment at the end where the game goes on about how the goats never saw the truth but how they helped a little hearthian to see it was kino.

Is there anything on Hollow's Lantern? I've finished the game but I never thought to look there although I flew by it a few times and didn't see anything of note.

Exploration/puzzle. It's basically a detective game, the core mechanic is learning what happened in your solar system.

Don't read any more posts.

Yes. This is what I really did suspect, I must have had my notes mixed up.
Well, back to the lab. This universe isn't going to save itself!

>I think your game preferences make you an asshole
At a certain point you have to start thinking that maybe YOU are the asshole.

There is, but not much.

can someone redpill me rq? what even is this game
looking for something to kill some times and i do enjoy survival sims (the long dark), and this is givin me a little bit of those vibes

If you and I were on a small boat that couldn't hold us both and was starting to sink, I would throw you over np knowing what I know about you is what I'm saying.

What is it?

Can someone give me a hint for ascending the tower of knowledge? I'm completely stuck in-game and afaik it's the only way to progress.

Attached: 97wghnipg20z.jpg (600x812, 89K)

The other side of the mining operation you find in Timber Hearth's underground, where they throw materials into the lava to test their integrity against really, really hot sun-like temps

Look at the other posts where anons ask what the game is.

What happens in Brittle Hollow over time? Use that

You can't get up there if apples can still fall on Newton's head ;).

You get to explore a solar system and learn some (horrifying) things about a species that came to your system searching for something and mysteriously died out. It's got a comfy atmosphere and neat writing, plus the planets your explore are really well crafted and there's tons to learn. And there's no real pressure, it all goes back to 0 in 22 minutes.

use the big brain

Very high IQ response

thank you

Take some time to think about it, the answer might just fall on your head.

ok, where do I find that

It's the kind of game where it's better to be as blind as possible, so probably stop reading the thread soon if you're interested.

This game has no hunger/thirst meters. Limited oxygen but that's just to ensure you use your spaceship for longdistance travel, really. It doesn't have combat either, just hazard avoidance. You use your knowledge of the environment and lore of the game to avoid more hazards. For instance, a fake spoiler might be that you find a wall painting of an ancient being using a bright light to walk under water, and then realize you could use your headlights on your ship to go somewhere you couldn't before.

That kind of learning is the game's progression, rather than equipment or experience points, with new knowledge affording new ways to not die, or to remove barriers to different areas. I thought it was really good, not sure about best indie though.

This user Is only half right. The ayys dying and the comet are the same. The comet came into the system and it was full of highly pressurized ghost matter, as it approached the sun the pressure grew until the core ruptured and sent ghost matter across the entire system, instantly wiping out the ayys.

in your skull, you ninny. quantum things only move when not observed.

When does she say that? I thought I exhausted all the dialogue with her

youtube.com/watch?v=ShkghHvLXls
Chills every time

I think "you" and "explain" have her elaborate on this

Hypothesis: This thread is quantum. Every time I look away it appears in a different location in the catalog.

Perhaps if we stop observing long enough this thread will leave the catalog and arrive at the 6th location.