Speedrunning a 50+ hour JRPG

>Speedrunning a 50+ hour JRPG
Why would anyone do this? Even if you do everything really fast, it's still gonna take you a good 10 to 15 non-stop hours.

Attached: CtFC_mQUMAQQJAr.jpg (1024x868, 44K)

Other urls found in this thread:

speedrun.com/Xenogears
twitch.tv/esamarathon
twitter.com/NSFWRedditImage

because you losers have nothing better in life to do than speedrun

Not to even mention how boring the actual gameplay is in them, with most of the game being skipping dialogue and battles cheesed through using the cheapest possible strategies. I can’t imagine of a worse genre to speedrun, it’s terrible.

Less people are willing to speedrun longer games which means you're more likely to hold onto a WR.

There's a speedrun marathon going on on the ESA channel right now. First game starting as I type this.

Attached: pröööh.gif (1372x1024, 876K)

Playing JRPGs in general should be a crime.

They just want to be a speedrunner but every game has been taken and conquered with insane records so they pick some obscure shit that will take them an entire day to speedrun once just so they can be somebody

>Speedrunning anything
Brain damage

this looks.....fun

>why yes, I do speedrun FFX 100%, how could you tell?

Attached: 1562702742647.jpg (1388x1742, 328K)

>platformers
>mastery of all the fastest routes through the levels, even if it means taking risks

>metroidvanias
>clever skips, utilization of every possible trick available

>JRPGs
>”I’m gonna play japanese version because skipping text is faster in it”

she's cute

because you have ice cream for hair

actually I saw this dude speedrunning FFX last night and he looked sickly. had an anime poster in the background and spoken in a low voice because clearly he lived with his parents. worst of all, he looked 30+
this fucking scene, lol.

I saw a video once of some sperg that was on world record pace for some pokemkon category and ended up losing it because he got an inordinately high number of random encounters in the bushes he had to go through. He started raging, was pretty hilarious. The speed running community had to look at the jrpg runners as huge fags or at least outsiders.

The Virgin Final Fantasy speedrun
>condense an 60 hour game into a 7+ hour speedrun

The Chad Xenoblade speedrun
>condense a 100 hour game into a 4 hour speedrun

Attached: chad.jpg (801x1000, 89K)

>implying JRPG is just skipping text
t. hasn't seen a FF7 run

>Why would anyone do this?
So it takes less time, d'uh

Yes, I haven’t, because the idea of it bores me already. I can imagine that it also needs some minmaxing with materia setups to finish fights fast enough, but is there supposed to be something especially exciting about FFVII speedruns?

actually running a game that long sounds. Werster running the whole of pokemon stadium 2 seems pretty comfy if you ask me

Attached: wiggles.gif (103x132, 12K)

>Friend invites me over to play games
>He goes on about speedrun strats and tries to do them

It's speedrunning. Autism doesn't need a reason.

no blog

people do that shit in platformers too. "oh boy a mario run! oh it's in fucking moonrunes to save 1 second overall"

speedrun.com/Xenogears
English - Any% RTA in 17h 48m 23s by ConnorCordell - 1st place

>is there supposed to be something especially exciting about FFVII speedruns?
no but as I recall there's a massive skip that involves something with loading save files and shit.

Why do people still even ask this question. Speedrunning is inherently autistic as fuck, why is this surprising in any way?

Why would ANYBODY think speedrunning Xenogears is a good idea?

>17h 48m 23s
nigga ain't nobody got time for that shit

There's barely any competition for such long games. I don't see how you could be proud of being the 1st in this

>videos
Fuck it imma gonna do it.

>watching FFIV speedrun
>they stop playing halfway through the game to go up and down stairs until the game glitches and warps them to the final boss
Gaaaaaaaaaaaaay

Speed running in general is retarded.

>Wow, I rushed through the entire game and used exploits and other nonsense while I did it. Aren't I skilled?

>speedrun
>17 hours
Where is the speed?

The absolute madman.

>speedrunning a fucking visual novel
Wew lad

So watch glitchless. Or better yet just FF4 Free Enterprise races those way are more fun to watch anyway.
the 64-door glitch is kind of cool because you aren't just using it to warp to the final boss, you also glitch yourself an enemy ability that lets you kill Zeromus before his final transformation.

FFIV also had a stairs glitch?

>he doesn't just watch the ending.mp4 instead of playing the game

Attached: 1319418742767.jpg (214x255, 5K)

For attention, just like why anyone speedruns anything. Same reasons you become a tranny.

depends on the game honestly

i like learning things about the game that blow my fucking mind, like in the ESA FF7 speedrun how the other runner points out the text boxes during the Parade for President Rufus in Junon are placed in the same way as they are on the controller, allowing you to press them before they finish

I would watch a highlights reel and an explanation of the routing. Sometimes the routing/strategies can be super interesting but you miss it unless you sit through 10 boring ass hours. Otherwise fuck them when they show this shit at AGDQ (which is so shit I don't watch any more anyways). Whenever they would have fucking fire emblem speed runs, and the whole run would just consist of NPCs trying to attack the player, doing no damage and get killed with a counter, then everyone joking about "LOL WHAT GOOD MENUING!"

Anyone got any good recommendations for RPG speedruns? Looking for something a bit off the beaten track, so no Final Fantasies, unless they're interesting or the player is funny (and not Youtube funny, I mean actually funny)

MENTAL ILLNESS
Was it really not obvious? Mental illness clearly runs rampant in their community.

Attached: The normalization of mental illness has lead to speedrunning.jpg (960x791, 150K)

The weird is that barely anyone speedruns wrpgs, despite them rife with possibilities for sequence breaking.

who are those fine looking ladies?

routing and optimizing things is fun

twitch.tv/esamarathon

finnish event
vampire the masquerade and gta 3 later