Is FPS just a shit genre? Shooters in general just seem to always be bland and awful

Is FPS just a shit genre? Shooters in general just seem to always be bland and awful

Attached: 1562338484009.jpg (769x579, 46K)

Shooters can be really different unlike JRPGs.

The fundamental problem with shooters is that guns are fucking shit
>point and click
It's awful, there's no way to create variety and it is only appealing to the most retarded of plebs. The core gameplay of a shooter simply can't be good
On the other hand a melee game can be anything you want it to be from DMC style crazy to something like mordhau
There is inherently more creativity and thus more ways to make a game better with a melee system.
Guns were a mistake

No, you're just shit at them.

There's only so much you can do while staying within a genre.
Same goes for RTS and other top-down games.

What were you hoping to see?

Attached: 1497904584947.png (1066x558, 63K)

Not entirely, GTA 5 in fp is kinda cool. Games like Dishonored and Bioshock add something different to an otherwise stale genre.

Dishonored isn't an fps, it is just a first person game. There's so many other things you can do
The problem isn't the perspective, it's the guns

>what were you hoping to see
I sorta fantasized about Destiny but if it were actually fun

Attached: 1562981692824.jpg (702x486, 41K)

I guess i see what you're saying, otherwise fucking elder scrolls would be an fps.
But you still consider Bioshock and fps? Also, i should've added Halflife, the crazy shit you could get in that game was alot of fun.

Well if your frame of reference is destiny of all things then I can understand the frustration. Destiny is a pile of shit as on top of the shooter-element it has bulletsponges.
Basically a glorified RPG with guns. Tried Quake sonny?

Attached: 1503916145284.jpg (480x360, 25K)

Try Dusk and Amid Evil

FPS has always been a normalfag genre for total drones. Even TF2 was fucking reddit incarnate

i agree OP

>x x x x x to melee good
>x x x x x to shoot bad

Attached: 1563941352313.png (1000x1000, 172K)

FPS is one of the absolute best and most versatile genres out there.
You'd have to hate video games to mot have at least one shooter you like.

Attached: 1559839426765.jpg (960x720, 298K)

>FPS games only have point and click
Melee combat is "point and click" by this logic tbqh. Not every gun in every FPS is a hitscan point n click weapon.

Attached: mordhau.jpg (276x108, 9K)

Shut up faggot you're just bad and stop playing shooters on console

the most braindead opinion i have ever read

>The fundamental problem with platformers are the platforms are fucking shit
>>move and jump
Seriously you could make this non-arguement about any genre

Platformers ARE shit

One has combos and variable combat, one is a gun

>guns don't have fire select, alternate fire
>there has never been melee/gun hybrids
>there is no way that guns in a fantasy settings could be interesting or do neat things

I feel like you're just trying to shitpost rather than make an actual point but I'm trying to give you the benefit of the doubt.

Attached: 1528332701027.jpg (253x310, 33K)

name five games 8/10 or higher

FPS can have combos.
Take the Shock Rifle in Unreal Tournament for example. Or even stuff like placing a mine in Half-Life and then Shooting it.

You can legit combo by switching guns in a lot of games. Nudoom you can

>Review scores as a metric

>People actually defending shooters
I can never tell if it's shitposting or if it's just zoomers

Attached: 1563584320827.png (537x448, 269K)

Shooters have been a thing for over 26 years grandpa.
Take your meds and go to bed.

Attached: 1561407392103.gif (272x372, 32K)

are you fucking retarded? let me reword it:
name five games that you consider very good but they don't have to be the best of all time or your favourites. brainlet

Classic FPS are pretty good imo, most modern shooters feel very samey to me, all of them just try to copy CoD, which used to be good but nowadays it's pretty shit.

>mordhau
>point&click
Maybe if you're a scrub. You begin the attack, then flail your aim around to wobble past your opponents defenses.
Hardly comparable in the slightest.

>KF2
>RS2 Vietnam
>RO2
>Insurgency
>Day of Infamy
I don't know about you OP but I've had a ton of fun with above games over the last few years.

Attached: OP.jpg (526x560, 62K)

Quake and Unreal Tournament are the best games available. You literally don't need to play any other game but those.

>2 shitty meme games for actual spergs
>good
Ya gunna tell him to play tf2 next, kiddo?

Played Dusk a few days ago and very much disagree. Boomer FPS is still lots of fun.

shooters without good movement put me to sleep

I'm sorry you are bad at them but that's not the game's fault. Maybe one day you'll get good :)

No but its gotten to the point where AAA can develop a kino fps but forced to rehash by publishers. Indie studios cant afford the development overhead and can't make the next deus ex.

Most good FPS have come from small and/or indie studios and they still are.

Give one 2019 example. Always like me some good games.

We just saw the release of Dusk and Amid Evil. Ion Fury is coming out in I think couple of months.

With those games there's also the problem of only being to play via one IRC pickup game channel, at one time of day, where you'll probably ping >100 and get picked last for every team game.

And then Wrath next year.
I am greatly enjoying this resurgence of old-school shooters.

There is much shit
But i love Team Fortress 2

Are there any good multiplayer FPS set in modern time for console? BF1 was good but takes place 100 years ago and it looks like every COD is halo now

>are there any good multiplayer FPS set in modern time for console?
>FPS
>for console
No, dumbass.

Attached: kek.jpg (248x189, 15K)

First Person Shooters are usually more or less the same. Third Person Shooters however...

Attached: Metal_gear_online.jpg (220x257, 16K)

ill say there are a lot of bad shooters out there with bad shooting mechanics like perfect dark which basically plays the shooting for you
but play doom 2016 its one of those FPS games that can be called 'speed chess' its like how id has called doom a puzzle game where the puzzle is figuring out which enemies to kill first which guns to use to be the most efficient while also managing ammo most efficiently.
all guns and demons behave consistently so you build a very frantic strategy every second so that you dont die or run out of ammo (then die) if you cannot think and shoot you might want to play on an easier difficulty at first but you'll warm up to it.
and thank god this game came out cause I was worried every triple A shooter was going to go from that puzzle shooter type of way to 'sit behind this cover and hold right trigger then left trigger' and it works every time. halo 5 was kind of like that and it broke my heart

I would recommend doom 2016, halo 1, halo 2, shadow warrior, and maybe doom 1 but a lot of the levels of doom 1 suck.
but if you can get through doom 1 and are looking for more try out duke nukem 3D, quake 1 (Q2 sucks dick), unreal, halo 3, ODST, reach, postal 2, bioshock, haflife 1, and halflife 2

Attached: 1519894936300.png (476x444, 114K)

Or this game which was half third person half first person. There's no mechanical difference between camera perspectives, first person is just better for shooting because you are behind the gun and directly controlling the head angle, and third person just lends itself better to non-shooting because you don't get disoriented from your guy's head whipping around.

Attached: 1474497284_preview_hqdefault.jpg (480x360, 16K)

I also have a Mac
>Xbone/Mac gamer master race rise up