3D ruined gaming forever

3D ruined gaming forever

Attached: C_C_Tiberian_Sun_ss1.jpg (800x600, 145K)

Other urls found in this thread:

youtu.be/qD5FjoR5t5c
twitter.com/NSFWRedditVideo

I wouldn't go that far but 3D definitely ruined RTS games.

Very few RTS games actually use 3D space effectively, so you have all of the downsides and none of the upsides. I think part of the reason why RTS fell out of favor is that 3D made them all look to similar to each other.

I'm probably retarded but I think 3D in rts usually makes it more harder to distinguish what's what.

I disagree. Lack talented dev teams killed rts.

Attached: Kushan_Mothership.jpg (340x495, 19K)

So much this. Like, seriously, playing a 3D RTS is like trying to cook a meal in pitch dark

You can do stuff like armour facing with 3D. SupCom played with altitude. But as you said, very few.

Attached: maxresdefault (1).jpg (1280x720, 195K)

What's the best C&C if I only want to play one?

RA2 then YR then MO

red alert 2

Correct. As other genres were reaching higher exposure and the monopoly of RTSs on gamers dissipated, there was a creative crunch, when they have continued in the tradition of innovation. We also have to remember the effects of 2008 on publishing.

*when they should have

Don't listen to the other anons, they are full of shit. Here's the actual rankings

C&C1 > RA1 > TibSun > RA2

They're all good games but RA2 is just a shallow copy of RA and RA itself is a shallow copy of C&C1. The original is where it's at, it got everything right (except arguably balance, which in turn makes it even more fun to come up with good strategies with shit units). C&C1 is in my opinion the peak of RTS gaming, at least single player (everyone knows SC1 is king of multiplayer)

Attached: 22_1.jpg (640x400, 55K)

RA2

Imagine being this much of a contrarian.

Name one thing RA2 does better than any of the other games, I'll wait

And I'm not arguing it's not a decent game, it's just not up there with the classics

you've literally just listed them in the order they came out
i'd say
ra2 >>> C&C >>>> ra1 >>>>>>> tib sun

Attached: 1562180278875.jpg (598x597, 31K)

>you've literally just listed them in the order they came out
Lol

Better asymetrical balance, more fun units, distinct and interesting superpowers, better aesthetic, more charm, better 1p campaign, better unit design, better path finding, better expansion pack, the ability to use waypoints, altitude in terrain matters now, you have naval warfare, you can cue units leaving you more time to focus on combat, better hot keying, larger community, better multiplayer, better mods...

Shall I keep going?

Heh. Another anonymouse gets pawned by other anonymoose

So a bunch of bloat features. How is it that with all those features C&C is still more fun? Could it be simplicity is the key to fun, hmm? Hmm.

>more charm
No

It is a decent game but frankly the units are boring and gameplay really isn't that fantastic. I prefer TibSun, it has more varied and interesting units and a darker general atmosphere. But I'll give you most of what you said

>QoL is bloat
Enjoy your harvesters being absolutely retarded while you get raped to death by a Nod Bike Rush that has no counterplay.

>the units are boring
>RA2
>boring units
>pic related is boring
Now I know you’re shitposting.

Attached: 2DBE8E0C-A116-44ED-B59C-1208EC5152A3.jpg (640x454, 31K)

>Enjoy your harvesters being absolutely retarded while you get raped to death by a Nod Bike Rush
It's called micro, and it involves skill. Something you wouldn't really know about

I don't understand why people love RA2 so much. It's just so meh to me.

Also those zeppelins are useless in any real game. Most useless unit ever, the only way for them to be useful if you've already won the game and it's just the last stretch which coincidentally also takes forever with these stupid things to the point where it's preferable to tank rush instead, even if you have 0 tanks. I can't actually think of any unit in any RTS that's worse. Even the civilians in RA are more useful, at least you can use them for distraction

Generals

>having to monitor your harvesters 24/7 because the pathfinding is so bad, they’re constantly doing stupid shit
>it’s called micro he says
Kek, now I know you don’t play. Fuck, I’ll play you right now. OpenRA, classic CnC, lets go. Show me how good your “micro” is while I have my Recon Bikes buttfuck you into next century.

And that version fixed the path finding, so actually, let’s play OG, no QoL improvements. I think I still have it somewhere.

Holy shit I hope he sees you

You do know the vehicles in your picture are 3D models made out of voxels? They're not 2d sprites

>zeppelins are useless in any real game.
No they’re not.
Watch an RA2 pro take a game back in a 2v2 with nothing but a Kirov:

youtu.be/qD5FjoR5t5c

I think you’re just bad kid.

I can probably beat you in openra but not the others if you're any good

Openra isnt' the originals though, in the originals i would buttfuck you into oblivion because obviously you can't even micro a harvester

SHUT UP IT'S 2D IT'S 2D I TELL YOU SHUT UP LALALALALALA

Lol, no you wouldn’t. I used to play CnC and RA1 all the time as a kid before moving onto RA2 and Generals. The only one I’m bad at is Tib Sub as I never gave it the chance it deserved.

Stop arguing and start fighting

internet multiplayer ruined gaming forever

ftfy

>Bryan
>pro
ayy

RTS games should have stuck with 2.5D

Attached: demsetiv_l4.jpg (640x480, 107K)

>making up false shit to dodge
Nigger

You sound like a huge faggot and I really wanna see you lose so please aother user, do it

I can't believe people here dodge the same way they dodge in Guilty Gear
Have you got a link to the multiplayer original version? I'll give you a game

ANUS why are you in this thread

Why the hell are you in this thread

Settler 3 and 4 are peak comfy

>3D ruined gaming forever
Only retards think this.
3D allows for quicker and more flexible development and you can still make 3D look 2D if you want to.

Attached: dragon-ball-fighterz-screen-04-ps4-us-21jul17.jpg (1920x1080, 551K)

What game?

Attached: 1552222119232.jpg (495x362, 19K)

>Letting Majesty run while I was at school
>Come home and my guys have levelled up

Stronghold 1

>talking about gg
it's aus chipp retard

Thanks.

Attached: 4cf4060b-da6a-41a6-8d72-c45608a4e7a0.png (598x480, 79K)

3D means you have to use lots of low poly models for your units, which means that you now have jagged lines dragging the player's eye all over the screen.

And he's called AnUS chipp you newfag
Back to /afgg/

Directional armour and altitude were already a thing in 2D games.

>I'm probably retarded but I think 3D in rts usually makes it more harder to distinguish what's what.

Wrong, you can make 3D just as if not more readable than 2D, so long as you do it properly.

Don't spoonfeed the tourists.

Try ra2 and tibsun, they are very different and both are masterpieces in their own type

Miss this game. Played it and Crusader to pieces when I was a teenager.

>if you want to.
Correction: “if you can”
Doing what ASW does is by no means easy.

It's possible, but the thing is that it rarely happened. Maybe in the grand scheme of things as much as good 2d rts happened, but who knows. I still feel like 2d sprites are less clutter on the screen. So not saying that all 3d rts games are bad.
Hell starcraft 2 is pretty good even though alot of people seem to have hate boner for it. bfme2 is pretty good too. Probably some others too.

The only people that hate SC2 are people who use the phrase "gookclicker"

go back to prison anus chipp

Tiberian sun was 3d you dumbass it had flying units

Daily reminder that Tiberian Sun is the best C&C.

This is exactly why Planetary Annihilation is such a great game, it's the only true 3D RTS

Also 3D units were much harder on PCs than 2D units, so a lot of games started crunching down unit counts and giving everything more HP to make up for it. Made a lot of games much slower.

it's probably the weakest of the classic C&C games... but that soundtrack, those graphics, that atmosphere, unf

you misspelled red alert user

based. homeworld was peak rts

Yeah that's right. Don't respond to people trying to learn about video games on muh sekrit club video game board. It will surely help the board actually talk about fucking video games instead of smash and identity politics.

>people challenging other people to matches
Where is the stream boyos? I want in on this "mean streets of Yea Forums" throwdown shit.

It's the comfiest

Attached: 1869-1.jpg (1920x1080, 932K)

We haven't got a stream because that other user dodged

>I can beat you
>nu-uh
Shut up and start the game already.
Also stream where?

Please be trolling.

We were so close to a good thing. We don't even have to be assholes.

I'd play but I have never played multiplayer RTS that wasn't a Total War game.

Attached: 1503640646718.gif (500x300, 489K)

I've never played C&C but I'll play you and stream it

SupCom too was excellent. It's just people lost interest in the genre, like tactical shooters.

>enemy launches hunter seeker
>it deletes your conyard
every fucking time

What the fuck was Westwood thinking

Supcom FA multiplayer is still very much alive. I play with friends from time to time and there's always plenty of lobbies up. There's even balance patches, new maps being made, and an attempt at fixing the shitty netcode.

Idiot.

>tfw found one user to play supcom:FAF with
>he fucking stomps me no punched pulled
f-fun

To me it was the peak of C&C and the best cast and acting they've ever had. The nod campaign is underrated sci-fi kino.

Attached: OxannaKristos.jpg (640x480, 45K)

why do all boomer games look incredibly bad/boring?
Am I missing an inside joke?

terrible taste

The joke is you, user.

Find more! The best player will get ganged up on every game (that's me, usually). The decent players will try to keep each other in check. The weaker players will get ignored until it's too late. Everyone has a chance to win.

Total Annihilation would like to know your location

Technically TibSun and RA2 are 3D, they use voxels to render units.

>RTS
Blame the fanbase

Would you prefer it if he said polygons?

You haven't played them. Also they lack achievments and exp progression system so many people don't know what they are supposed to do to get their dopamine shot.

Did you post on /shmupg/?

Nope. What is it?

It used to be a general for shmup games, it was pretty insane. One thing they went on about was progression systems though, which I agree are absolutely annoying

>SupCom too was excellent.
Based.

>It's just people lost interest in the genre, like tactical shooters.
I don't think that's true. Unless by "people" you mean "publishers". But otherwise, it's not like some great RTS has been released that then sold badly which is what would indicate gamers lost interest, rather there just plain hasn't been fucking anything at all. There's nothing to buy. Money burning a hole in our pockets is pointless if the production isn't there.

This unfortunately happens frequently with niches, and builds up until you end up with situations like Scam Citizen where everyone is so fucking desperate for anything that they'll throw money at whatever has any promise. But the industry is plagued by bandwagoning, and publishers hopping on the "safe" thing, and memes like "oh everything must be esport" (without any actual understanding of how esports/sports worked).

There isn't really much for it except to hope somebody at some point can try again, do a decent job, and then the success inspires a new bandwagon for a while.

Attached: 1411565209704.jpg (1587x947, 576K)

>3D ruined gaming forever
>posts 90s RTS
niggah what

Attached: TA.jpg (421x500, 47K)

They play better then they look.
Exact opposite with modern games.

God I love TS

Don't be retarded

>It's just people lost interest in the genre, like tactical shooters.
Agreed. We merely passed through a time period when people didn't have access to that many games. Many people played RTS because there weren't games which would suit them better yet and the genre was booming. Real dedicated demand for RTS wasn't that high. Remember when Diablo clones were everywhere and some of them gained popularity like Sacred? Where are Diablo-like games now?

3d is as readable as 2d, case in point, the sprites in tiberium sun were all caps of 3d renders. The reason why 3d RTS games ended up being less readable is because the devs were universally shit at art design and fucked up the contrast with bloom, overly busy and bright particle effects and samey textures.
I mean look at this shit, the water stands out more than the actual units.

Attached: 0000006507.1920x1080.jpg (1440x1080, 727K)

Generals had physics to it, destroy a moving jeep with your bazooka guys and its flaming carcass could still drive over your troops, or driving your Overlord tanks to a middle of cities caused them to damage themselves when they turned their cannons towards target enemies and attempted to shoot through buildings so close to them the AoE caused damage to them.

The bummer of that otherwise promising 3D was that it started looking dated very fast. Meanwhile 2.5D "draw sprites on top of models"-look stands time much better.

Attached: AoE2.png (1920x1080, 3.72M)

Grim Dawn/Titan Quest/Torchlight 2 moderately successful, Path of Exile super-successful and the current king of the genre.

No, though the photorealism and res pushes have been destructive.

A big hope I have for the industry though is that we're getting to the End Of Graphics. As-in, resolution will reach the limits of human visual acuity relatively soon (something like 12k x 9k, though binocular FOV is only like 114° horizontal), color is already about there (10-bit is close, 12-bit can definitely handle everything given the right display), etc. At that point for the first time graphics can just stop, we'll hit high realism and then it'll be like movies where originally we only had b&w and not even sound and slowly progressed but eventually got to the point in cinema where the technology was done, new visual wizzbangs no longer were a draw by themselves and film makers just have to focus on their work, and tech improvements became about making things cheaper and more accessible not more expensive.

Vidya has never had that, it's still relatively a very young medium. But we're getting closer and improvements are leveling off. Eventually we'll hit the point where rather then each gen costing more to develop for, it'll get cheaper over time to hit the same quality. That'll be interesting.

Good for the genre then.

>Generals had physics to it
Supreme Commander had full physics and it was far more integral to gameplay, terrain blocking stuff, even just plain awesome tricks like mitigating nuclear and super artillery attacks with airplanes or just silly but cool things like shooting missiles through the middle of a donut. Everything was modeled and it was fucking great.

>The bummer of that otherwise promising 3D was that it started looking dated very fast. Meanwhile 2.5D "draw sprites on top of models"-look stands time much better.
Don't agree with this though. Warcraft 1 or Dune-era sprites/UI haven't aged well either. Stuff like AoE2 was not early-era, it was mature 2.5D RTS (6 years after Dune II). Comparing that to early 3D isn't reasonable because there is always an S-curve to new tech. More mature 3D like SupCom is now 12 years old but still is plenty good.

Attached: supcom.jpg (1600x1200, 549K)

The maps and sprites are flat.

right but illustrates how cause and effect were reversed by earlier user

What homeworld should I start with? Interested in getting into the games.

Attached: 1564423030302.jpg (960x870, 257K)

Me too man. I think about the game often

Attached: dropfront.jpg (640x400, 32K)

>two mandolins start playing

>What homeworld should I start with? Interested in getting into the games.
Just start with the first then the second. Get it all fully patched up and everything, but they're good games both.

All.
1 cataclysm and 2.

>it's another "Yea Forums doesn't know what its talking about" episode

Attached: Anno-1800-System-Requirements-Revealed-780x439.jpg (780x439, 89K)

GOD I F%$&KIN HATE DOGS!!!

Malaboo is my favorite thing in the entire world. He is funny as fuck.

im in ur base killin ur d00dz

I often watch supcom or FA matches on youtube but the single player game is bugged. No matter how powerful your computer is, it always got slow, fast and then it become unplayable. If one of the best computer of 2018 can't run a game from 2006, there is a problem with the game, not with the computer.

Works on my machine. I play the campaign in coop all the time.

Can't run it tho. I have toaster.

After I first played TS, I had that image as my wallpaper for like seven years straight.

Not exactly true, but 3D is basically a gimmick that takes precedence over good gameplay. This includes worse control, hiding information from the player and form over function. I remember the creators of Robotron criticizing the 3D Robotron about this.

I'm like , last I played through the campaign was on an older slower machine a good while ago and it was smooth the whole way. Though if you're playing with FAF installed maybe some patch has changed something there, or you really pushed the unit limit (original game was too limited there, but letting it go super high can definitely use as much cpu as you throw at it). Dunno.

No, the massive processing power and huge amount of space games can take up ruined gaming. Originally on SNES/Mega Drive and older developers were limited by cart sizes and the limitation fostered creativity and decisive cutting of material. Now they can just stick everything in there and have these huge teams instead of like 20 friends in a team working on a game they’re bloated to fuck and lacking in editing. Not to mention devs know they can fix everything post production and we’ve all gotten so lazy we just accept games are broken on day 1 now.

Still looks 3d.

this

Well it's barely an RTS in the first place user. How many units can you even have in it user?

Ok

Nice

I tried playing RA2 a while back and it just crashes all the time now. it was the first PC game I ever bought too.

Get proper renderers from CnCNet.

3D terrain with 2D sprites for characters was peak gaming

Attached: screenshot- 2019-05-19 22.45.31.jpg (1920x1080, 455K)