Is Xenogears good?

Is Xenogears good?

Attached: xenogears-10.png (800x600, 1.06M)

Other urls found in this thread:

youtube.com/watch?v=azshYRWtLUU
youtube.com/watch?v=iWFlJTehYfg
twitter.com/SFWRedditVideos

Yes. Next question.

its my favorite game

Only for a single disc

every xeno game since then has been shit.

Story is the best in the medium, soundtrack is also great. Everything else is ok

Interesting but not really good

No, it's a pretty meh game that gets a pass for good writing.

*Onions system, wtf.

Yes

Attached: EAdRLtoU8AAV9SS.jpg (2048x1604, 390K)

Agree w/ analysis

No.

It's the worst Xeno game, but it's still okay.

this

Is a wild ride, for the most part. And no, disc 2 is not bad, at least not as the filler in disc 1, looking at you Rico and your long as fuck sewer level. Combat is meh

Its ok. The quality is all over the place and playing it without the ability to fast-forward the snails pace cutscenes is hellish

replaying it now, it's pretty good. Slow starter and some iffy design choices, but the battle system is fun and the writing is really solid.

When it's good, it's really good.
When it's not, it's pretty tedious.

Reposting. Sorry, but is "Onions" some sort of filtered word ? It became Onions like 3 times.

I think it's one of the greatest games ever made; certainly one of the best JRPGs. You have to be willing to deal with slow pacing and battles, but otherwise the buildup and payoff in Xenogears are unrivalled.

While people complain about disk 2, I goddamn loved it. The story gets really weird, and it becomes more like a visual novel. As long as your prepared for it, you'll be fine.

Disk 2 is pretty much the "end game" plus cutscenes, but it's also where everything interesting happens. I can't understand this mindset. At this point, what did you expect ? Are you really that butthurt that you didn't get to explore the onions system ?

Well it's excellent sci fi and unless you're going into really niche WRPGS, you won't find RPGs with as good a story.

First disc is pretty generic JRPG stuff
Second disc is very interesting, but you play though none of the interesting parts and just have them narrated to you

Gameplay is meh-tier, deathblow system clearly needed more to it to keep it interesting, gets very dull by endgame

Better than the Xenoblade games but still not very good

>Sorry, but is "Onions" some sort of filtered word ?
yes

A mod on /g/ got called a s o y boy for his gay little keyboard and threw a temper tantrum and now you can't say the word s o y on any board. At the same time "incel" "cuck" "have sex" "cringe" "seethe" "cope" and "dilate" are all allowed to be spammed ad nauseum.

yeah, it's filtering
>s
>oy
>lent
>system

based system

Attached: publix.jpg (220x229, 11K)

It's a very ambitious game that clearly needed more development time and polish. It had a ton of potential, but as is it's not really that great.

incomplete masterpiece

Attached: xgx.png (639x476, 339K)

xenogears was the shit, one of my favorite jrpgs

it even had this dank fighting game

youtube.com/watch?v=azshYRWtLUU

>don't upgrade your engines because 2stingy
>get btfo by calamity

Attached: 1561029084504.png (414x375, 218K)

Attached: 1556896306746.png (1449x805, 69K)

Onions

Reminds me of this. I wonder why Yea Forums spends so much time posturing

Attached: nutshell.png (600x1200, 348K)

I never understood the point of word filters, especially on Yea Forums. It just encourages people to find ways to circumvent the filter and prevents the word from ever truly dying out. Soÿ

Depends. Is Cholera good?

>Wish Machine: Hey kid, what you want
>Abel: To fuck mom
>Wish Machine:...ok.

Ain't much else to do around here. No one is playing games, that's for sure.

i only play games in the bathroom and i only post here at work. either way i'm just wasting time

Story is convoluted weeb trash. Think Chrono Cross but even more retarded.

Gameplay is good though.

its the best

Overrated trash. Only people who didn't play the fucking game will praise it just to be c00l.

T.Retardus

t. tranny who didn't played the game

i played it a few years ago and its my favorite game of all time
replaying it at this very moment too, its still really good

Except I'm; You're just a neanderthal without an attention span. Go play your waifu shit you bitch, while we play real sci fi.

Xenogears was one of my favorite JRPGs growing up. The story is what I valued the most, but I'm disappointed by how the pacing was rushed as soon as you start Disc 2. When you read all of the lore covered by that Perfect Works book, you will lament over how Square ultimately abandoned everything and rebooted the series with Xenosaga and Xenoblade.

Gameplay wise, you may not like the excessively long cutscenes. I did like the combat mechanic where you alternate between fighting on foot and in your gear. Random encounters were frequent as fuck, making any kind of exploration a chore. Music was legendary and emotional because Yasunori Mitsuda.

I've been waiting my entire life for a properly finished Xenogears remake, but I don't think Square-Enix will ever do it. I will likely die before someone ever entertains the idea.

Attached: 1470769934052.png (300x300, 136K)

i used to speed run it and yes

No, it has a good first few sections but around the end of disc 1 it goes to shit and literally swirls down the toilet until the end.

Just know that the Japanese love Xenogears as well. I 100% believe that with Monolith being preserved within Nintendo, we have insulated a chance of Xenogears getting a remake. . . one day.

It just requires a Square/Nintendo joint project. When will these fucks get off their asses? XC2 and XBX have great engines that could support a remake.

>how Square
>Square
senpai...
Xenoblade is the "spiritual sequel" by the original creator, you aren't getting shit. Anime has ruined everything

>Xenoblade is the "spiritual sequel" by the original creator, you aren't getting shit. Anime has ruined everything

Indicating that the "Xeno" brand is alive and well. Lmao criticize anime all you want, but Xenogears was a love letter to 80's/90's anime. The issue lies instead with what Takahashi considers a good medium to tell stories; his situation with Namco and the Saga series killed his desire for long storied games.

Xenosaga was a commercial failure despite it's ambition and so they sold their souls for profit, making the absolutely terrible anime tiddie shit that is the Xenoblade Chronicle to appeal to the lowest common denominator.

The "Xeno" brand is dead because it cost a fortune and didn't turn a profit. All you're going to get now is XBC, which is to Xenosaga or Xenogears as nu-fire emblem is to the older games - a parody wearing it's skin to sell anime tiddies and waifu's to gacha playing fucktards

We will never get a remake because the world is simply too unjust and too base to support it. We live in a reality where evil and mediocrity have won.

the xenoblade games are fine you autistic sperg

How was Saga? Worth playing if I liked Gears?

>the xenoblade games are fine you autistic sperg
.webm of blades doing that stupid moeshit waddleduck dance

youtube.com/watch?v=iWFlJTehYfg
its ok when xenogears does it

granted, ChuCHu was an abomination, but that was a good song

No, it's not.

yea the stat was only like +1 or something but it made a big difference

Yes

It's a game with boundless promise that fails in literally every way

It has a interesting stocking system where you can build custom combos and use special moves with correct combinations- but aside from the sprite animations you're better off just mashing attack like a brainlet

It's story uses a lot of big words to try and sound smart but it's honestly nothing to write home about. This might be the fault of the translator but some characters like the rat you meat in the sewer city has his motives flipping all the time and is super inconsistent.

Some parts of it are just straight up not fun no matter how much you slice it- the sewer segment seriously drags on far too fucking long and kills any mystery and pace the game might of had to that point.

Then there's platforming for some odd fucking reason when it flatly doesn't belong. There's a tower thats name escapes me that's all about it and it's just a goddamn nightmare.

Then the budget ran out and disc 2 happens and ground combat stops being a thing and it just shits the bed. The story crawls up it's own ass and dies and not even Japanese art books that exists to clarify the plot help.

Xenogears is only fondly remembered because of the great OST, cool sprite work and mech designs and the fact it introduced a lot of anime stereotypes to teenagers of that era.
While not perfect either Xenoblade is everything Gears wishes it could be.

Attached: oh my god.png (520x390, 398K)

Yes

I got to the second to final boss, the one where you fight four sub-bosses first, and couldn't finish. I just watched the ending on youtube.

>spoiler
I don't think Blade is everything Gears wishes it could be, but rather it's as close as Takahashi has the talent to get to a completed Gears. I just don't think the man has the chops, now or twenty years ago, to actually tie everything that he wants to get into the game together. There wasn't nearly enough G Gundam in Blade, either.

Attached: 1240370407142.png (500x375, 70K)

No

Xenogears is like an figure skater with a really complicated and technical routine and yeah they landed that triple axle but then 30 seconds later they fall on their face during the Crossover and slips while Hydroblading and then they spend the rest of the routine sitting on their butt in shame explaining how they were going to do this wicked sick quad followed by upright spin.

Eh I suppose. I just found a lot of the stuff in Blade to be similar enough without just self destructing part way in, take it or leave it on the combat but at least you're forced to interact with it more too.

story's a fucking mess full of neat references that amount to shit
then on the 2nd disc it runs out of money and falls apart

Play Chrono Cross for the cerebral, mysterious 90s PSX JRPG experience.

It's great. I still like to replay it once every few years.