PS4 Sales hit 100 million, Digital Sales are bigger than Physical

PlayStation 4 has become the fastest console ever to reach the 100 million units sold mark worldwide. Thoughts?

forbes.com/sites/paultassi/2019/07/30/sonys-ps4-finally-outpaces-the-wii-with-100-million-sold/#14924092c4fa

theverge.com/2019/7/30/20746712/sony-playstation-4-sales-100-million-milestone

>While sales of the PS4 might be slowing down, it’s still the fastest home game consoles to reach 100 million unit sales, according to Daniel Ahmad, Senior Analyst at Niko Partners. That’s faster than both the PlayStation 2 and Nintendo’s popular Wii console. The PlayStation 4 reached this milestone after just 5 years and 7 months, and less than 3 years after passing 50 million sales.

>Sony’s PS4 sales have been consistently strong throughout this generation, with 19 million sold in 2017 and 17.8 million last year. Sony also revealed that digital download share has passed the 50 percent mark, meaning more people are now purchasing digital games than physical disc copies.

Attached: kaz hirai 2.jpg (750x563, 50K)

Other urls found in this thread:

en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Disc_rot
variety.com/2019/gaming/news/steam-one-billion-accounts-1203201159/
twitter.com/NSFWRedditVideo

Halo 6 will be on PS5

Say it after me

SONY ALWAYS WINS BABY!

Attached: SonyChad.jpg (300x200, 8K)

>Sony also revealed that digital download share has passed the 50 percent mark, meaning more people are now purchasing digital games than physical disc copies
>more people are now purchasing digital games than physical disc copies
Oh no.

damn, it might even pass ps2

Im still buying physical no matter what or i will pirate or wait years for a sale

Attached: 45689867645664.jpg (1440x1440, 582K)

It won't because the market is too different today and there's way more competition for people's time, but it will finish as the second best-selling home console ever by a significant margin.

it's for the better. I have like 70 games on my ps4, at least 50% of them were "full priced" games at one point in time. A lot are just from PSN sales or PS+. I don't understand how people can still want to use discs in this day and age. I know so many people who insist on it, I honestly think most of them (not all, most) would change their minds completely if they owned one digital game and realized how much more convenient it is. I can just imagining downloading my ps4 games to a brand new ps5 and just being able to run all of those games i want to have on the new console faster than I ever could before. Also for a console like the Switch it's way goddamn nicer having all your games digital and saved to a big sd card. What's the point of a portable console if you're still fiddling with game cartridges on the train or something? Especially when if you just install digitally, you can switch between full console games in basically 1 second with the tap of the home button.

I mean, to each their own but to me it's no surprise at all that most consumers are preferring digital games now. Say whatever you want about ownership or licenses, it's just vastly more convenient and most people are only interested in that and not worried about "losing their games" somehow 10 years in the future (a time when they probably are barely interested in those 'old' games anymore anyways). Hell, I still have PT installed and working just fine on my PS4 Pro, which was a console update released like 2 years after Konami banned the game from PSN.

Attached: incineroar shrug.jpg (894x682, 68K)

Based handfag

There's a lot of shit coming out nowadays. I just save physical stuff for games that I'd like to have on my shelf

>>Must show I'm black on Yea Forums

Fuck man that's roastie tier attention begging

The biggest problem lies with ehat happens when the servers go down. What happens then? Do we lose all of our digital games? For the average person, this isn't a huge deal. But for us autistic, truly dedicated, does that mean I can never play these digital games?

>more people are now purchasing digital games than physical disc copies
That's understandable for ps4.

Newfag

>it's for the better
Fucking lol. Yeah just let Sony fuck you in the ass, it's great for consumers!!111

>Digital Sales are bigger than Physical
this is the end
this is the end, my friend, the end...

sony willl not exist forever. the discs will

>sony willl not exist forever. the discs will
>the discs will
user, I...

Only digital games that I have all cost me sub $5

I'm gonna be just very honest with you, as someone who's sold every single physical game on PS4 I've had and rebought all of them digital. At one point I had at least 25 PS4 discs, I've sold every one of those games and rebought the games cheaper than I sold them for. I was taking advantage of that Amazon pre-order bonus while it was a thing too. The honest to god truth is... I just don't care.

I can only imagine the scenario of all these servers being shut down like 10 years after the PS5 is released. They still have PS3 games up on PSN, who exactly is playing a PS3 in 2019 going on 2020? I don't know, but Sony is still catering to these people. Really it does no benefit to their company to fuck over their consumers, contrary to what people on Yea Forums will try to convince you. So I'm just trying to imagine myself, in 10 years. Cyberpunk 2077 and FF7 Remake have probably set a standard for RPG games by now, all the newest fighting games likely have new iterations on these new consoles, basically everything I'll want to play will either be on the PS5, or the Switch or whatever the Switch successor is. I'll very likely, just not care if I can't download these games again. And I really, really doubt that you "won't be able to play them again", more likely you will not be able to download again at some point but if you have the game installed on a piece of hardware you've saved, you'll most likely be fine. Again, this is all "most likely", but I just can't imagine these companies just completely wanting to fuck over their consumers for some reason.

I think most if not all of the problems people keep coming up with for being an "all-digital" game owner will likely be solved in the near future.

I know I'm in the minority on somewhere like Yea Forums, but this is the exact same psychology the vast majority of modern consumers are embracing. It's why you don't even see young kids buy games anymore, they just buy PSN money and things like that

Attached: ps4 games 01.jpg (2048x1152, 549K)

>The biggest problem lies with ehat happens when the servers go down. What happens then? Do we lose all of our digital games? For the average person, this isn't a huge deal. But for us autistic, truly dedicated, does that mean I can never play these digital games?

I think people are already backing up digital only games and then start working on their functionality later down the line so it isn't going to be a problem in the long run and will be treated like how we do now with roms.

The real problem is having games streamed which means no one will have the opportunity to back up their games.

en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Disc_rot

Do you not know how digital games work?

Once the game is installed - that’s it. You have the game, and you can play it. So long as it isn’t an online only game, and servers are still up, you’re good.

People just like the aesthetic of physical, and even equate it to a feeling of self worth. “This is my stash, look at my fucking games.” And then there are the rare collectors editions and shit, which again, have an enjoyable aesthetic value.

But just to play games? All modern games require you to install off the disc anyways. Games don’t come with manuals anymore, discs can technically get scratched (although Bluetooth discs are very resilient), and they occupy physical space. Not to mention old discs are prone to decay, as evidenced by many of my GameCube games that developed veins on the disc art.

Digital is just far more convenient. And with external SSDs and the like, you can easily bring that one small drive to a friend’s and play off of it, too.

Licensing, copyrights, all of that can’t stop you from playing games that you already installed. It’s just that future downloads may be removed, and multiplayer servers might go down, which effects all users anyways.

Remember when the Wii Shop Channel shut down? That's it, all your Wii points you spent are worthless now. Also when the music licenses run out on games, or if a beloved VA gets accused of rape, they'll patch the content out. Digitalfags have no reprise but to download an inferior version in that case.

>R3 stick started drifting

MOGGED

Attached: ps4q1.jpg (526x300, 27K)

Because of PSN sales. Games are cheaper digital than retail now.

I don't get why this shit is selling so much, this console gen has been pretty bad and there is less reason to play on console then ever.

it's cheaper than both switch and PC, graphical differences are irrevelant to most people and the PS4 has a huge variety of games.

You don't play on consoles so why do you care?

Attached: 1534046415587.webm (640x640, 1.02M)

Nothing will stop us Sonybros

Attached: 1563500631988.jpg (350x276, 30K)

kek there are more ps4 users than there are steam accounts. How is that even possible, even I have three steam accounts.

Well I have none

Lots of smaller games aren't even sold on disc. I dunno why Steam faggots are acting like this is anything new

>playcensored
>censony
No.

Sauce me son

what?
variety.com/2019/gaming/news/steam-one-billion-accounts-1203201159/

>multiplats and a couple of movies
so this is the power ps the ps quadruple ..

TL;DR

>snoy shipments... is sales... now...I..swear
kill yourself already

Larkin Love

>digital sales have passed physical! accept it, guys! you're in the past! join the winning team!
>Neglects to tell you it's DIGITAL INDIES + full price digital vs full price physical only.

Don't fall for it. 59.99 digital has not surpassed 59.99 physical and discounted physical.

Based

30% of all ps4 shipped are in gamestop warehouses.