Why are developers doing this? Is it just laziness?

Why are developers doing this? Is it just laziness?

Attached: butwhy.jpg (305x129, 22K)

What are you even trying to say, you bitchass retard?

He's autismo spazzing about the missing 'The'

Are you retarded?

I think he's sperging out because the folders not called 'Le Witcher 2'

you know you can just rename the folders yourself, user

That is not the point. How hard is it to just do it right in the first place?

Come on guys, I can't be the only one that hates stuff like that.

Inconsistent naming schemes are annoying.

Related to that, I wish devs could all agree on where games should put their save files and config files. Right now it's a fucking mess. Are they in the game's main folder? Are they in My Documents? Are they in the My Games subfolder within My Documents? Are they buried five or six folders deep in AppData? Who the fuck knows!

>EA Games
>Electronic Arts
>Electrontic Arts

Attached: 1537935018719.jpg (1249x1410, 140K)

I feel you.

>Electrontic Arts

Is this real? Like for real real?

>Great tier
Asking where to store save files on installation (with an option from Good tier being put in as default)
>Good tier
Appdata folder
"My Documents" folder
>Clusterfuck tier
"My Games"
"Saved Games"
I don't know what the fuck Microsoft was thinking when introducing both of these, at this point I'd prefer if games just have a folder in Documents instead after looking at 2 folders I have in "Saved Games" and 24 in "My Games". But where developers put save files has always been a shitshow.
>Delete yourself tier
Putting save files into the game's install directory

Bonus points:
game shows how much space game files take
timestamps for save files
no low arbitrary limit on saves (like only 3 save files before you have to delete an older one) when the game has manual saving, storage is not an issue anymore

Attached: the fuck.png (187x187, 69K)

Or worst of all they could be a bunch of scatered registry variables. It's not common at all, but I remember it happening.

Media starting with "The" is a dumb idea to begin with

>you know you can just make your own game user
Not really an argument when critiquing something though, is it you fucking retard?

Op is The Faggot

Dead Space keeps its config files in a misspelled folder called "Electrontic Arts", and its save in a correctly spelled "Electronic Arts" folder.

>namco
>namcot

Attached: 4a7c5a0e0f4cdcb4c8fda5b3e6d900a8.jpg (750x1000, 136K)

In steam when you let your games to be sorted by alphabet, the witcher isnt anywhere near letter W. It fucks up sorting and naming consistency.

>Putting save files into the game's install directory
What's wrong with that?

I thought steam ignored "the" when listing games by name.

Kill yourself fucking sperg

That's probably on their end, I have games starting with "The" that are at the position they would be without it.

Attached: image.png (266x229, 27K)

Actually this is something I like about Uplay for once

Attached: Uplaylist.jpg (581x507, 29K)

It's good style to save them where your OS wants you to save it along with other application data for writing access and consistency
Clean uninstalls of games (won't leave behind any files in your game install directory)
(usually) easier access to save files overall, it's not completely consistent in the games industry where to store save files but most being in either AppData or Documents isn't too bad, it could be a lot worse if every game arbitrarily chose where to place them.

These are very minor/unlikely things, but do make a difference in the overall picture:
Multiple different save files for each user on a PC if it's used by multiple people
Harddrive failure won't fuck you over if your save file is on a different hard drive from your game installation

Why is My Games worse than My Documents? I'm actually annoyed that so many programs create their own folder in My Documents. I used to use that folder for... well... documents but it ends full of different junk nowadays. I think it's good that My Games folder is used for game stuff.

What's wrong with save files in the game directory? It means you can put the game on a usb stick and automatically have all the saves. It also makes it super easy to find them. It's only a bad thing if you're so lazy you can't be bothered to manually manage them in the case you want to separate the saves from the game (like uninstalling the game but keeping the saves)

At least document folder names are mostly irrelevant in the age of cloud saves where you don’t have that much reason to go and fiddle around with the actual files manually, but pic related should be fucking banned.

Attached: 1604D127-7763-48CE-A552-7A047586B276.jpg (530x344, 42K)

No, that's fucking retarded. OS partition should include OS and not much more in case you need to reinstall or upgrade your OS. That way you won't lose any of your data, and you get to have more free space on your actual data partition so as to not waste anymore than necessary on the OS partition. Cunt games or software forcing you to store gigabytes worth of shit on OS partition is just plain frustrating.

Also storing everything related to the game in a single game directory makes your structure neat and organised. All Windows /user/ folder usage should be strictly optional.

>resident evil 4
>Resident Evil Revelations
why capcom?

This really activates my almonds, and not in a pleasant way.

Attached: Untitled.jpg (284x827, 90K)

>EA Games
>EA Games
>Electronic Arts
Something keeps creating an EA Games folder in public documents so I get two EA Games folders appearing in My Documents. It's irritating as fuck every time I see it.

Looking at games from a more abstract perspective, they are no different from other applications you use so it's warranted that they get a one folder for save data similar to how other applications get a folder for their application data. I wouldn't have an issue with "My Games" if the folder "Saved Games" didn't exist, both introduced and abandoned by Microsoft.

>What's wrong with save files in the game directory? It means you can put the game on a usb stick and automatically have all the saves
Portable installations are a good point
>super easy to find them
I'd argue the Documents folder is easier to access, Appdata however is a tossup dependent on the person
Uninstalling the game shouldn't remove saves if it's in the same folder, that would be a retarded uninstall where it just deletes the folder with no regard to files not related to the program in there, don't think I've seen that yet as the few uninstalls that did have additional files in the directory in question just left them untouched.

Based

Imagine giving a shit
Imagine being this autistic

>Clean uninstalls of games (won't leave behind any files in your game install directory)
They could just as easily program the uninstaller to remove the save files along with everything else. Most uninstallers already ask you if you want to keep your savegames or delete them. If the uninstaller is smart enough to delete the game's save files from AppData or whatever, it could certainly be designed to delete them from the main game folder.

>(usually) easier access to save files overall, it's not completely consistent in the games industry where to store save files but most being in either AppData or Documents isn't too bad
Really? I find it far easier to have the saves in the same folder as everything else. That way, everything related to the game is in one place. I think that's more convenient and intuitive. It's certainly a hell of a lot better than clicking through a bunch of different folders within AppData until you finally find the saves.

>it could be a lot worse if every game arbitrarily chose where to place them.
But that's what they're doing. Like I said, it's a crapshoot whether they're stored in the main game folder, My Documents, or six folders deep in AppData.

>Harddrive failure won't fuck you over if your save file is on a different hard drive from your game installation
I don't see how. What if the hard drive that fails is the one with the saves on it? Yeah, you still have the game, but you've lost all your progress. I guess you'd be protected if the drive that fails is the one with the game on it, but you can't predict that that's how things will go.

the naming of the savegame folder?
you absolutely are.

False equivalence, renaming a folder does not cost millions of dollar and years of work.

This!
Also:
>six folders deep in Appdata
I absolutely hate that shit.

When I uninstall games I just delete the game folder. I don't think that many games even come with uninstallers. Although I'm thinking more of games where you download it as a zip file or whatever and extract it, not stuff that you install through steam or whatever

What a fucking stupid statement. Naming the install folder coherently throughout the series does not cost millions of dollars nor require years of work either.

Do it yourself then if it's so easy.

enjoy your ban