Are there any bad Dragon Quest games...

Are there any bad Dragon Quest games? I don't mean in the vein of "Oh well seven was kinda just spinning its wheels" or something
I mean BAD
Like, "If you're a newcomer don't even bother with this" or "that one would make you think the entire series is terrible."

Attached: 1560345160700.jpg (679x382, 57K)

Two is arguably the most flawed one and it hasn't aged very well at all. It's nowhere near terrible but it can be very frustrating and it's not the most interesting either.

2 is fucking awful

All of the games are pretty decent. Nobody plays the NES version because it's like playing Metroid NES and expecting that it was a great game to boot.

If you're a newcomer, avoid II (I as well if you hate older games) and VI. VI isn't a horrible game by any means, but it doesn't leave a good impression if you're new to the series. It's not as long as VII but it slogs way more. I'd only recommend VI if you really love the series and have played a bunch of the other entries.

I have yet to play XI, but I've played everything else can safely say it doesn't have any bad games. 2 is the closest to bad but it still isn't, it's just flawed.

Is 1 actually good or is it just respected?

More like if you're a newcomer, just play 7, 8, and wait for 11 S. I'm not saying the other games are bad, but those are entry-level DQ games which will make you appreciate older games as you play them through.

>"that one would make you think the entire series is terrible.
I played 9 and it did this.

The second game blows.
All the others are good. Except X I guess, being a MMO that stayed in the East.

Even the first game is fun, though it's fortunate it's so short.

it's short and concise
if it was longer it might have overstayed its welcome (kinda like II's problem) but it's only like 12 hours. Not really enough time to get bad

DQ1 is just a pioneer
I like DQ2 more since the Combact system is more varied, but man some dungeons are bullshit
Luckly the Snes/mobile ports fixed the grinding and gave you a map, but good fucking luck getting directions in an endless ocean

2 suffers immensely after you get the boat because it was rushed out and they didn't even bother to give you clear hints on what to fucking do after that. It's usually the one DQ that's somewhat considered to be a bad game.

6 is weak too but it's not bad. It's just that 7 does it's battle system better and 6 has some fucked pacing problems.

Besides that. DQ has for the most part been a very consistent series. Memes about that aside.

Can someone explain to me why this wasn't Dragon Quest VI?

Attached: 24chronotrigger1521669260.png (1080x1920, 3.65M)

Changes too much from the previous games, Japan would've flipped its shit.

8>11>5>3>4>7>1>9>6>2

Everyone say thank you to Unreal Engine

Attached: Dragon-Quest-XI-story-11.jpg (1200x675, 404K)

they're supposed to be bad, that's why they're good

It's decent, it's a nice little adventure game, but a 1-character jrpg isn't going to be very interesting battles-wise. It's still a comfy short journey, I'd recommend using a bit of emulator speedup to levelup but otherwise it's worth taking a look at.

Wasn't this made by Squaresoft before the merger? They were competing at the time.

I started with V and was blown away by how good it was. Pretty late as well, but before the remaster on DS. It was a fan translation of the SFC game, but it was so good. DS version is the one I’d recommend, however.

Attached: BB89D8C6-BD67-4193-AE83-247D32B3F881.jpg (900x720, 143K)

there were no real dragons in it were there? just that robot one

how is it good. ive never played them

All of them are bad

The combat system is nice and simple. If you’ve tried replicating that feel you got from Final Fantasy back in the day and have been toying around with Idea Factory games, there are none of those obtuse bullshit systems.
It’s
>Fight
>Magic
>Item
and that’s it. The absolute classic formula felt like something I just NEEDED at the time

Then there’s the story. It’s filled with interesting characters that doesn’t play out their stereotypes too much and there is some genuinely surprising twists and turns. It’s a whole epic about you starting out as a boy, becoming a man and later having children of your own.

I have not played a lot of other DQ games, but it really gripped me from start to finish. The latest one is really good as well!

I just finished DQ1 for the first time and I really liked it. It was a comfy little adventure game that should only last about 9-10 hours. It had a few frustrating moments, but definitely nothing awful. I'd recommend it after playing at least one of the more entry-level games

Attached: 1562985129549.jpg (3376x1440, 3.14M)