This still has the best campaign and gameplay in the Halo series

This still has the best campaign and gameplay in the Halo series.

Attached: 220px-Halo_-_Combat_Evolved_(XBox_version_-_box_art).jpg (220x284, 19K)

Other urls found in this thread:

youtu.be/9akFGFR2CSE?t=14
youtu.be/pstN_ZfCGzs?t=20
youtube.com/watch?v=JhfA6y7yyEk
youtube.com/watch?v=_wp4RXWo3C4
youtube.com/watch?v=16LAohqD8jw
twitter.com/SFWRedditVideos

You are still the biggest faggot and cocksucker of all homos

WORT WORT WORT

Attached: 1551572287411.png (1280x1380, 1.59M)

that's not halo 2

Wrong, 2 is better then CE in almost every way

Movement/jumping is more responsive, aiming is tighter, the gameplay is faster, etc. And while the MP map design trends are the same, 2 has more quality maps compared to CE.

The writing/story is inarguably better: CE barely had a plot, with most of it being an excuse to justify mission transitions. Dialog had mediocre delivery, there's barely any animation in cutscenes, characters are flat. 2 actually has multiple narrative threads, characters that undergo development, real animations during cutscenes, symbolic framing, etc. If you PREFER a minimalist story, that';s fine, but don't act like it's better.

in terms of the campaign missions, 2 is a clear improvement and it baffdles me people think otherwise. People often argue that CE has "less linear" levels then 2, but The only non-linear level in CE is mission 2, which just plops 3 playspaces around the map and then has a giant, empty ass field with nothing in it between the 3. All that's gained from it's nonlinearity is which order you do each objective, wheras what you give up having any sort of good level design overall.

Beyond that, what people mean is that CE ostensibly has more large combat spaces then 2 does, but 2 has just as many and most are just as big, the only difference is 2 actually has buildings, trees, cliffs, rocks, and other structures inside those spaces to make the level design interesting, wheras in CE they are all mostly empty: which is bad since due to the geometry is always the same, the way you approach encounters is the same/doesn't matter, vs 2's more differing layouts and geometry means different encounters. And nearly all of CE's campaign suffers from the same copy pasted repetitive coirdodor shit for indoor spaces that the malgined arbiter levels do in 2.

All CE has over 2 is weapon balance.

>inb4 that one fag bitches about me daring to explain my opinion in detail again

If you disagree then actually dispute my points.

Attached: halo_2_conceptart_udA31.jpg (800x480, 164K)

>DUDE THREE MISSIONS THAT ARE JUST THE PREVIOUS MISSIONS IN REVERSE LMAO

i tried playing it for the first time about a year ago and it was shit
op has convinced me not to try any of the others

OP is wrong, CE has a lot of flaws compared to it's sequels.

Explain what you disliked about it and I'll tell; you if those are things the sequels fix or not

the pace of gameplay is too slow and my weapons feel like peashooters

retard

Faggot game

Attached: image.jpg (196x258, 62K)

>the pace of gameplay is too slow

I wish you were more specific here in terms of "pace of gameplay" (killtimes? movement speed? animation speed?") but Halo 2 is faster all around compared to CE. That being said, it's still slower then most other FPS's. So it might be enough of an improvement here for you, might not.

>and my weapons feel like peashooters

I guess this sort of relates to killtimes. Again, 2 has faster killtimes, though not by a huge, drastic amount, but noticably so. I'd also say that 2 has a much betrer "oomph"/feedback to most guns compared to CE, especially in H2A with the new sound design.

tl;dr those are issues 2 improves, but not sure so much so that it'd make you like it.

I guess see also

Sure, I'll give Halo 2 a shot then.

I liked the pacing and simplicity. You are here, you have to do this. Then you go there, you have to do that. The plot makes sense as a soft sci-fi story and introduces you to enough scientific concepts to remain interesting, without trying to be too philosophical or elaborate. No dumb dialogues or "humor" either.
The repeating levels is the worst part of the campaign. Going though assault on the control room but in reverse was meh
No shit sherlock, ofc Halo 2 improved on a lot of things and had a bigger budget. I found CE's campaign to be way more memorable than H2 though.

Attached: 6s4ief67o7431.jpg (750x696, 61K)

don't listen to these fags, Halo CE campaign was legendary in legendary mode, every element of the level design was used for gameplay purpose, it was hard but fair unlike Halo 2 which is my favorite one, but as a quality game, CE is by far the best one simply because it has the best gameplay.
Halo 2 has the best music, the best scenery, the amazing feeling of playing arbiter, creepiest flood. Though, it is unbalanced as a game, its multiplayer mode is lit though.
And to be honest, I played Halo 2 first on Xbox, and it was my fav game for a while, but I was just a child, and now when I replayed both, I can tell how much polished Halo CE is as a final product.
Halo 2 dev process was messy af, team got depressed and final product is not even what it was intended to be.
Though, it has a special place in my child kokoro, I mean Halo Delta was really a nice experience, and Martin O'donell composed outstanding pieces of music including the main theme where Steve Vai played the guitar.

If you do you might as well wait till H2A comes to PC via MCC's PC port; if you don't have access to an xbone.

Not that it's MUST PLAY over the original version of Halo 2 or anything, but Halo 2's current PC port is... not great, and if weapons feeling weak is a specific concern, then H2A will help that even more since it's improved sound design adds a lot.

Actually curious about if you played CE or CEA, since similarly CEA really improved the sound effects of guns and explosions,

youtu.be/9akFGFR2CSE?t=14
youtu.be/pstN_ZfCGzs?t=20
youtube.com/watch?v=JhfA6y7yyEk
youtube.com/watch?v=_wp4RXWo3C4
youtube.com/watch?v=16LAohqD8jw

though it sort of fucked the visual design for envoirments. 2A's new graphics are a lot more visually faithful, though sometimes I still prefer the original jsut for that early 2000's, bump map heavy look.

I played the original PC port of Halo 1
I do have an original Xbox sitting here but my PC's a toaster so IDK if it will be able to play a remaster

>Pillar of Autumn to 343 Guilty Spark
Good
>The Library
Gay
>Two Betrayals - Keyes
Copy-pasted but now with Flood
>The Maw
Forgiven due to Warthog run.

I remember most of the huge levels from Halo 1. They're burned into my memory. Only thing I remembered from Halo 2 are playing as the arbiter and that trailer that was on the oxm demo disc.

CE's levels have more open space but it doesn't DO anything with that open space.

2's campaign was completely forgettable compared to CE. It was only serviceable to having the online mp which was admittedly pretty awesome. None of the campaigns in the entire franchise stand up to CE.

how long ago have you last played CE?

Well friendly reminder Halo died with Bungie.

I like halo, but it's getting too much praise nowadays.

Look at that simplicity there damn. Halo's weapon sandbox should have never went past a certain limit. This right here is like a holy trinity of UNSC weaponry with the only weak weapon being the AR but not terribly so.

32 yeauhs ago when my fawduh took me ta Fenway ta watch da Brooklyn dodguhs take on da mawlins boy dey had ballplayuhs back den I tell ya

Of course it does. The battles feel pretty epic because of the openess. It lead to some great encounters not before seen in an FPS game of its level.

spv3 is best

Attached: 84287170.jpg (900x888, 95K)

Shit looks so overdone and dark.

please explain how what I said in is wrong then

That's bullshit, the open spaces are all almost flat and empty, it's not "epic", it leads to unintewsting encounters because it's just flat ground with no obtscacles.

I think a Halo 2 sandbox or even slightly bigger is still managable, provided either bungie/343 was competent at balancing or that the community could get it's MUH BR/TOKEN UTILITY WEAPON NEEDS TO BE DAH BEST stick out of it's ass (there does need to be a versatile utilotuy weapon, but it being so effective with a low skill floor defeats the point); but I agree 3, 4, and 5 has too big a sandbox for it's own god.

Reach almost makes the big sandbox work, though, Every gun feels pretty unique. Still has pretyt iffy balance though.

That's not Halo 3.

And somehow it's still better than Halo 2.

This

Friendly reminder, Bungie almost killed it before it 343 saved it.

>saved
Let's not get ahead of ourselves.

Bungie try to kill it with their last two games, Microsoft almost put in its coffin as they wanted Gearbox to make Halo 4, Bonnie saved the series and 343i was born.

Explain how what I said in is wrong, or what 2 does wrong/worse then CE that you feels outweighs the flaws I noted CE had

Only additions that was good was the sword, brute shot, beam rifle, covenant fuel rod launcher and the sentinel beam. Humans did not need more guns really. Covenant only had 3 you could use in CE so 3 more fills it out nicely and sentinel beam is unique non covenant weapon. Also this assumes no duel wielding though.

Because half of Halo 2's levels are some of the worst fucking designed levels in the entire series you mentally ill tranny always spamming your gay ass essays all over the fucking place, resetera, reddit, and Twitter are more your speed, get the fuck out. The moment Halo 2, put players in control of the Arbiter for the fur faggots taking away the power fantasy was the moment the game went to shit level, gameplay, and storywise. Not even Chief's could save the game since they weren't even as good as the Halo 1 levels even if they repeated towards the end, kill yourself, tranny.

Actually meant 4 but scratch even that since I forgot the carbine. Although I like what spv3 did with the carbine by giving it battery rather than ammo based. Maybe give humans the BR as well as the original magnum. Already there, no more new weapons after that. No not those Brute ones, no smg, no shitty promethean weapons either.

>Because half of Halo 2's levels are some of the worst fucking designed levels in the entire series

You mean the levels that are bad because they are largerly just series's of copy-pastes samey looking hallways, with only a very limited set of weapons and enemy types?

You mean the exact same fucking issue like 2/3 to 3/4ths of CE's missions suffer from, vs only half of Halo 2's?

Don’t respond to Chief fag.

The 4 main enemies of Halo 1 fitted their roles well while Halo 2 has unfinished Brutes that Bungie could never figure out what to do with, and a bunch of annoying flying bugs, WOW! The only problem I had with Halo 1 was the Library sucked, and the rest of the game repeated levels but the story was nice and fun, the game had great encounters (unlike Halo 2), was less cheap, and actually had a fucking ending with Chief (the main character) ending the game.

You call me the Chieffag yet here you are defending a literal tranny, start giving yourself names so I can know when to ignore your asses, do me a favor and dilate.

The only really mechanically new UNSC weapon was the Magnum. The SMG was the old AR and the BR was the old Pistol, leaving the Magnum with a new niche (dual wieldable, rapid fire, headshot capable but no scope). Its Halo 3 that went full retard by having both the SMG and the AR in the same sandbox.

>Bungiefags
>3babies
>Reachfags
>furfags
>lorefags
>343apologists
Which is the worse?

(you)

>Be kid
>Cousin comes home with a burnt CD
"I've got two games for you, I downloaded them yesterday, let me install them for you"
>He installs only one
>HALO
>That name sounds stupid
>Start playing
>Space FPS
>It's a fucking holy war between an alien alliance and super robots soldiers
>What the fuck, why is this the best game ever ?
>The game has no fucking business becoming a survival horror halfway through when you find the tape of the flood assault
>It does so anyway
>My goodness why is this the best thing in my life ?
>Escape the Pillar of Autumn in a fucking warthog while everything explodes
>HALO fan since then

You're one of these seething faggots I mentioned in that post, I'll go ahead and add a seventh
>competitivefags
Bungie's favorite number.

in order of most dangerous/detrimental to the most irrelevant
compfags>343apologists>3babies>bungiefags>lorefags>reachfags>furfags

Wow damn, you're actually pretty spot on.

>Halo 3
>best campaign

c'mon nigger

Yes, Halo 3 is the best campaign, you have a problem with it, go blow it out of your ass.

Two decent levels and some copy-pasta'd mobile geometry doesn't make a "best campaign".

Halo 2 is absolutely not faster, especially not with its stupid weapon spawn system.

campaign, retard.

lol campaign is for fags
That's not faster either because all of the enemies' health was cranked up on higher difficulties and everything but a plasma + headshot weapon is literally useless.

I'd basically just take H2A'a sandbox, and do the following:

>Reduce BR's fire rate slightly; or make it so 2 bullets, not 1 in a burst need to land for a headshot

>Give the AR much less spread for the first few shots, much faster spread dissipation, a slightly lower fire rate,and slightly more damage to compensate. This makes it a bit longer range/better when bursted but makes missed shots matter more.

>Make the pistol kill in 6, not 11 headshots, but decrease it's fire rate by 1/3, and give it a scope. This may need to be tweaked more, I haven't run the math but basically the idea is you now will use AR/pistol starts, and the pistol is a versatile but highly skill depedent gun, in ideal situations by skilled users it kills a bit faster then the BR, but it's easy to miss shots and it's never the best gun for a given situation.

>SMG: do more damage when single wielded. Make it build spread up half as fast

>Plasma Rifle: do a tiny bit more damage against health when single wielded. Increase projectile speed, bring back the movement slowing/stun effect the gun had in CE.

>Needler: Increased projectile speed and tracking. Make ineiduvual needle explosions do damage, say, 1 needle = 1/16th of your total health. Makes it so non-supercombines aren't useless.

>Plasma Pistol: Just make it act like the CE plasma pistol.

I think the sword, rockets, fuel rod, brute shot, sentinel beam etc are fine as is.

CE purists > 3babies > 343apolgists > furfags > Reachfags > lorefags

Note that 343apolgists aren't "anybody who likes anything 343" has done, it's people who speffically consistently defend their shit and shit on bungie. IMO 3babies and bungiefags are basically the same shit. Reachfags don't really cause problems and generally admit that reach has flaws so they aren't that bad. Lorefags aren't a problem at all, it's just that most 343apoligists are also lorefags, but most lorefags AREN'T 343 apolgists.

In competitive play, sure, but that disscusion was in reference to the general core gameplay traits/weapon traits for the purposes of campaign.

also I don't see the point in adding competitivefags to my list since there's such a high scrossover with CE purists and competitivefags.

One bad level while every other level was great compared to its predecessors, it's the best campaign in the series, get over it.

So basically just 343apologists, 3babies, and furfags, got it, what about competitivefags, where do they fit? Glad I'm a CE purist.

WHERE IS THE PORT

Pretty much the only people still playing CE are compfags.

Also to be clear, I was ranking from most harmful/annoying to least harmful/annoying.

>dude reused level geometry lmao
>only guns you need for 99% of encounters are pistol and plasma pistol
>little enemy variety
>Hunters are complete pushovers
>destructible Covie vehicles and indestructible human vehicles feels wonky, in multiplayer anything that isn't a Warthog is entirely helpless to guys on foot
Aside from all that I agree, I feel like it had the best tone and aesthetic. Chief's armor was cooler, and the UNSC had a fantastic Colonial Marines thing going on. The Covenant were at their best before everybody spoke English and we got intimately acquainted with their society. I also like that it works as a sort of self contained story.

Attached: 1510649932043.jpg (1600x1200, 500K)

Jackal snipers

A valid complaint, but hardly one that ouweighs all the stuff I noted.

Also they are only truly obnoxious on legendary.

>The Covenant were at their best before everybody spoke English and we got intimately acquainted with their society

How are generic nameless faceless aliens who do nothing but get shot at and shoot you better then them as a faction with actual politics, goals, motiviations, etc.

>>only guns you need for 99% of encounters are pistol and plasma pistol
How is this different from later games?

>using crutches
>complains about game

baka

The other option is to magdump 3 or 4 times per enemy.

I wish that every underaged faggot to praise this casualshit series would just be killed off. Kill yourselves.

Because you had enough of their backstory to know what they wanted and how their society functioned while also leaving enough room for you to insert your own interpretation. Trying to flesh them out turns them from aliens into funny looking humans. The Elites have the whole muh honor bushido thing going on, the Brutes are specifically said to have been inspired by the barbarians that plagued Rome before getting assimilated into it, etc. The Grunts were interesting because they were the only ones you heard speaking English, implying that they were actually speaking it and they weren't being translated. I will give them credit for confirming that in a later novel by saying that the Grunts were tasked with monitoring human transmissions.

>lets copy the same 3 rooms 15 times
>lets make a map full of zombies and jellyfish and have insanely boring tunnels where poeple are forced to wait to open a door
>lets make the latter half of the game use the same maps as the first half

Attached: halo is shit penny arcade.jpg (462x768, 122K)

How are generic cultists any better?

based. fuck halofags and fuck halokiddies

Attached: nerds being told to buy halo.jpg (660x2194, 317K)

I wish that every halobabby would have their throats slit, kill yourselves

no u lol

Attached: 1554044978085.jpg (1024x500, 31K)

>copy-paste corridors ad nauseam
>best

I'm not talking about the noob combo, I'm saying the Halo 1 pistol is a fucking sniper rifle and the Halo 1 plasma pistol is objectively the best general purpose weapon in the game.
>rapid fire
>100% accurate if you can account for gravity
>400 or 500 shots or some bullshit
>damage sufficient to de-shield and kill an Elite before overheating
>overheat lasts like 1 second
>most common gun in game
>overcharge if you're feeling lazy

>the Halo 1 pistol is a fucking sniper rifle
And the BR isn't? It's true the Plasma Pistol is the best gun in the game, but later games are the exact same with a single extra step.

2 things that have always been bothering me are, why in The Maw there is a bridge in an open space connecting the ship and why does the Pillar of Autumn have a fucking Hot Wheels track in the entire ship

B;R

Since this is the most popular halo thread right now I'll say it. halo 3's gunplay fucking sucks going back to it is painful its probably because of every gun is projectile and the netcode is god awful, and people like to think its the best because of nostalgia.

>>little enemy variety
It's better that way though. Do you really think drones and brutes were good additions to the covenant gameplay wise?

CE has the better story and atmosphere for a video game because it never strays away from the perspective of the MC. 2 does constantly, making it more movie-like than game-like. CE also doesn't suffer from room repetition as much as you say; only on the very long stages (Assault, Library, Betrayals) does it become a problem, which is less than half.

Based and redpill. The only thing that puts Halo 3 over Halo 2 is the graphics and maps.

saad

bump

You didn't have any of their backstory, though. Unless you are counting Fall of Reach.

I'd disagree that they are generic cultitsts, and even if they were, a generic cult thsat has a fleshed out structure, different internal factions, etc is more interesting then nameless goons in robes.

>CE has the better story and atmosphere for a video game because it never strays away from the perspective of the MC. 2 does constantly, making it more movie-like than game-like.

That's really more of a personal preference for minimalism and having a singular perspective then CE having a better story or writing, though.

>CE also doesn't suffer from room repetition as much as you say; only on the very long stages (Assault, Library, Betrayals) does it become a problem, which is less than half.

It's tolerable on stages like PoA, T&R, Silent Cartographer, etc; yes, but it's still there, wheras the MC stages in 2 don't suffer from it at all. Compare Cairo Station to POA: Both take place almost entirely inside a indoor human envoirment set in space, yet Cairo station has nearly every playspace and area feel unique in both layout and visuals (the only repeats are the windowed rooms and the hallway when you backtrack), wheras litterally almost every room and hallway in Pillar of Auitumn feels the exact same and would be indistinguishable via screenshots.