Huge fan of Mass Effects 1-3, played through each one at least twice. When Andromeda came out...

Huge fan of Mass Effects 1-3, played through each one at least twice. When Andromeda came out, I heard it was crap and the reviews didn't look promising so I skipped it. Saw it at a pawn shop and figured what the heck, worth ten bucks, right?

WTF happened to this game. The writing is ludicrous, at times nonsensical. The dialogue options are all over the place.

My biggest annoyance is that it takes place after the events of Mass Effect 3, where all the relays are shut down--why not just have a colony ship that went out to explore Andromeda get stranded there? Why make it so that they traveled SIX HUNDRED+ FREAKING YEARS ??! Why would anyone ever do this when there are a hundred billion stars in the Milky Way to colonize?!

Anyway I'm like 45 minutes in and I can't stop thinking about that.

Attached: mass effect.png (1280x720, 904K)

Other urls found in this thread:

youtube.com/watch?v=D12n35evy0Y
twitter.com/SFWRedditImages

It starts its timeline before 1, and begins the actual gameplay after 3. And Andromeda is kinda far away, it'd take a long ass time to get there without relays to quickly jump over. Lore wise the founder and like 3 people knew the Reapers were coming and decided to abondon ship and the Milky Way, taking their chances to save most of the sapients they know of by starting over in Andromeda should MW fall.

>WTF happened to this game
EA handed the game development over to SJWs and chinks

It was a contingency plan for the reapers. I just got done bitching somewhere else about how much I liked Andromeda and I hope that they can the anthem shitshow to make mea2. And add flying to Mass effect.

my face is tired

>Huge fan of Mass Effects 1-3
>Enjoyed 3

Fuck off

I like the idea of abandoning the Milky Way, so that helps. I didn't get why they didn't just write it so that they used relays to get there, but then realized they were abandoned. Planning a 600 year one-way journey and recruiting hundreds of thousands of people to do it seems a little much.

>WTF happened to this game. The writing is ludicrous, at times nonsensical. The dialogue options are all over the place.

So, no big changes from 2 and 3?

apart from the bad/weird writing, the gameplay itself is pretty fun. Although I wish it didn't have to be quite so frenetic all the time

They scrapped 90% of the world building that it took Bioware fucking years to make in its prime. That's just with its concept of taking place outside of the Milky Way. On top of that, EA gave it to their C team in an age where the studio was long past its prime.

It was destined to be shit.

>they used relays to get there
If I recall they used relays to jump to the edge of the MW and then went into the long-haul, taking those 600 years.

>Planning a 600 year one-way journey and recruiting hundreds of thousands of people to do it seems a little much.
Ya. That's the game's premise. A little much goes wrong and you try to solve it and fight a painfully-serviceable enemy. Can't make myself play it beyond the first unlocked planets and get to the eventual trapped in the webbing cutscene I knew happens.

>My biggest annoyance is that it takes place after the events of Mass Effect 3, where all the relays are shut down--why not just have a colony ship that went out to explore Andromeda get stranded there? Why make it so that they traveled SIX HUNDRED+ FREAKING YEARS ??!

You know the Andromeda galaxy is a really long way away, right? ME:A has many, MANY logical problems; I frankly don't understand how this is the one that sticks out for you.

this is what you get when you let women be in charge.

3 was great, retard.
>satisfying conclusion to Geth/Quarian conflict based on your choices across all 3 games
>satisfying conclusion to Genophage dilemma based on your choices across all 3 games
>closure for pretty much every single character that appeared in the series
>insane amounts of content most people will never even see based on their choices, squad combinations, and mission order
>GOAT ending choice that tests the entire philosophy of the series--whether you repeat organics' mistakes in trying to control uncontrollable technology, get sweet-talked into destroying all organic life by merging it with machines and giving them what they wanted all along, or destroyed the Reapers like you intended from the start
>b-b-b-b-but the literal last cutscenes are just different colors
The whole game is the series' conclusion. Anyone who dislikes Mass Effect 3 is a fucking low-IQ brainlet who missed the entire fucking point.

>>satisfying conclusion to Geth/Quarian conflict based on your choices across all 3 games
>>closure for pretty much every single character that appeared in the series
>

Attached: slaps your binder.webm (1280x640, 851K)

>go to an entirely new galaxy with infinite potential for new alien life
>only two new generic, boring species, one of which is completely hostile
>somehow feature even less species than the original trilogy
How is it possible to fuck up this badly?

Ooh, look at Mr. Fancy Big Words!

i agree i like the trilogy and think 1 was the weakest entry and 3 the strongest. but the spastics on here dont agree with normal opinions ever. which is why theyre outcasts.

I understand that it's so far away. It's not the time spent traveling that bugs me, it's the fact that they decided to travel there at all.

At the very least, they could have traveled there through the use of the mass relays and then become stranded once the mass relays stopped working. That would have made sense. But they didn't, and that's stupid.

Yea Forums will tell you it was made by SJWs, and while true, that only scratches the surface of the problem.
This video explains everything that went wrong with Andromeda's development.
youtube.com/watch?v=D12n35evy0Y

Basically the devs began developing it based on what the first Mass Effect was supposed to be and couldn't let go of concepts that just didn't work or weren't fun like flying ships, procedurally generated planets, etc.
Bioware Edmonton kept stealing devs and resources from Montreal for Dragon Age Inquisition and Anthem, and Casey Hudson and the project leader of Andromeda left right when it was announced at E3 2015.
Other devs started leaving, their posts weren't replaced, and by the end of 2015 they still didn't have a single playable level or even a composer for the OST, all they had was the not-Mako and the combat systems.
So they called in Mac Walters and basically forced Montreal to stop fucking around, told them to scrap the flying, the procedurally generated shit and forced them to start making quests, a story and characters.

The game you actually played was made in about 11 months.

Attached: 1546517283266.jpg (1600x1066, 313K)

Do the mass relays even extend outside the Milky Way? I suppose at least one must extend to "dark space" where the Reapers chill between cycles, but I don't think anyone knows of one that extends to Andromeda. IIRC - and it's been a while, so I might not - the only way to know where a relay goes is to use it, and the Citadel has outlawed the blind use of unexplored relays due to the fears of kicking up a hornet's nest like the Rachni. I can definitely see this being relaxed after the Reapers start fucking shit up, though.

In any case, the time delay actually factors into the plot; your mission was sent to colonize planets that looked great when they left but are now inexplicably hostile in a way that could not have naturally happened in 600 years. Of course, this ignores the fact that any observations we could make of Andromeda would be 250 million years out of date anyway, but fuck it, ME hadn't even attempted to be semi-hard sci-fi since the first game anyway.

I think the intention with sending them all the way to Andromeda was to make sure that there was absolutely zero chance of making contact with Citadel space ever again. The revised ending to ME3 implies that ships' onboard FTL drives can get them around the galaxy in a few years even with the relays, so they couldn't do that if they'd stayed within the Milky Way.

that's a good point, I just assumed they were all over the galaxy but they probably don't. It kind of makes my point moot but it's still a dumb idea to travel 600 years to get anywhere

Unironically based. Mass Effect 3 is the best in the series.

>>all over the galaxy
meant "universe"

yours is a good explanation; too bad they decided to not let the player in on most of it

RETARD

Attached: 1490487150886.webm (852x480, 1.92M)