Have we come up with a definitive answer yet?

Have we come up with a definitive answer yet?

Attached: portal question.png (619x625, 75K)

Other urls found in this thread:

youtube.com/watch?v=0TZd95BCKMY
strawpoll.me/18396915
files.catbox.moe/owj0y6.webm
twitter.com/NSFWRedditGif

A because the block itself isn't moving.

Yeah, the hoop analogy is fucking retarded

It has to be B in order to maintain physics, the kinetic energy of the portal acting on the cube cannot simply dissipate

Portals don't exist so neither is true

this

Attached: HOOPS.jpg (810x1080, 369K)

youtube.com/watch?v=0TZd95BCKMY
You LITERALLY cannot refute this

Here.

Attached: thinging with portals.png (861x582, 11K)

Wow, cool answer, this is correct and you are the smartest poster in this thread!

fpbp.

it's moving at the speed of the earth's rotation and orbit actually

>it's moving at the speed of the earth's rotation and orbit actually
Yes but in context of the fucking photo, does that matter? Ask yourself that.

It doesn't.

When a 3d objects enters a 2d plane.

Or the kinetic energy pushes downwards just like it would without the portal. The only thing going through with any force would be the air being pushed aside from the surface of the platform.
The cube itself has no kinetic energy to have B happen. Moving platform would just slam into immobile platform and cube would probably bounce just a bit from the sudden kinetic energy being transferred from the immobile platform to it after the collision.

>Have we come up with a definitive answer yet?
no, because Afags are unable to realize they're wrong

The most epic of all posts

As far as Portal is concerned a portal can't be on a moving object so the whole diagram and question is moot
As far as a non-theoretical physicist will tell you there is no force acting on the cube itself because of the portal being an instant jump from one point in space to another with no momentum or energy transferred save for that which existed at the time of the teleportation, ergo the only energy that can be transferred is from the force of the plate the portal itself is on slamming into the platform that the cube is on and it will plop out, ergo A
Youtube physicists will give you an extremely complicated answer about the theoretical physics behind a portal and some shit about a function of time and that's why it's B

B makes the most intuitive sense. If attempted in the game, A would most likely result, but only because there isn't a puzzle planned around this mechanic. If there was a puzzle planned around this mechanic value would have programmed B.

/thread

This problem is very simple and follows basic inertia principles. The speed of the portal is transferred to the cube in equal energy amount. Ordinarily it would be in an opposite direction but because of the portal in space it maintains the inertia through the portal

I don't know if I agree with that. I guess it's just how you see portals. Since the portal is so big and has no resistance whatsoever I see air just flowing through it no problem. With the only forceful air being the air that collides with the surface area of the platform.
Due to this I also just see the cube having the same effect. Kind of the same concept as dropping a door frame really fast. Air doesn't pass through it any faster and neither does anything fly out the door frame if it falls around them.
There might be a little resistance from the air already occupied past the portal, but it certainly would not be enough to cause something to be launched with air pressure.

Here's my attempt at my thoughts on how it is B
hopefully you guys at least try to understand where I'm coming from

Attached: portals explaination B.png (1280x720, 117K)

lets see
>had about 10 thousand threads
>got an official response from valve
>has someone recreate the experiment in portal
>had someone recreate the experiment in garry's mod just to prove it would work in non-portal source engine games
pretty sure it's fucking dead jim

>discussing with someone on here
>they're on A side
>I'm on B
>mention the normal force of the pedestal
>Atheist doesn't even know what a normal force is

The state of A-fags.

>DUH... DUH... HOOLA HOOPS
>*shits self*
Why are A fags so useless?

And yet, B-fags still cry

The neurotoxin room in portal 2 exists. Also, the earth is always moving, so portals would have to move.

Stand in front of the blue portal and look into it
is the cube in the portal moving relative to you?

You know what would really fuck with people? Switching the exit portals, so B becomes A and A becomes B.

Look inside the blue portal, is the distance between you and the cube getting shorter at a high rate? Yes? And you're not moving? So that must mean... woah... the cube... has velocity... relative to you?
Woah bros

Attached: Untitled-1.gif (1280x720, 167K)

whoa

In most game engines, A
In real life, B

>Golden experience requiem

you are stupid

lewd

>this is what it's like to be Joe Rogan

>This town...it's contaminated by spirals.

how will Atards ever recover?

This is exactly how Afags think the problem works. Bfags think the cube should be randomly flying into the air here lmao.

by Bnigger logic that cub would have flew out of the blue portal but yet it gently surfaces over it

get fucked Btards

>afag thinks that the cube exiting the portal would instantly come to a complete halt by somehow being applied infinite deceleration from no force whatsoever

>how wouldn this stationary object come to a complete halt

Lmao the absolute state of Bgenerates

>a stationary object is somehow exiting a stationary hole
one of those things gotta be moving, smooth brain
also here's a unbiased gif so people can use it for whatever wrong argument they want to prove

Attached: Untitled-2.gif (640x360, 155K)

Well Yea Forums?
Can the guy safely and easily take his drinks from the trolley as if was just besides him?

Attached: PortalDrinkingTrain.png (962x706, 42K)

Forgot the poll:
strawpoll.me/18396915

Yes (I'm a B-fag in the classic problem)
the man is moving in the same vector as the orange portal, so entering it (or reaching into it) would cause no exit vector relative to the blue portal

Wouldn't both fags think it's yes? A-fags because they don't think moving portals can confer any velocity in the first place and B-fags because the guy and the orange portal are stationary relative to each other

A-fags are retarded not because A is necessarily wrong, but because in the scenario pictured the cube would still be launched regardless.

- An object suspended above the blue portal will get pushed back by the cube as it exits, gaining a very real momentum from an object that A-tags claim has none (we will accept this paradox and move on, its portal shit)
- Once an object has passed through the portal, the portal no longer has any effect on it and it behaves under normal physics. The portal doesn’t magically remember the objects that have passed through it with quantum bullshit.
- The smallest object is an atom. Not true, but far closer to it than what A-fags believe.

So as the first layer of the cube’s atoms pass through the portal, they halt in mid-air (as they have no momentum). But, they are now normal objects and in the very next instant they are pushed by the second layer of atoms and, like any normal object, gain a very real momentum. The second layer is pushed by the third, etc. etc. until the entire cube is moving with a very real momentum. It is A-fags that claim this will suddenly cease when the last atom of the cube passes through, even though this result occurred under their own rules.

>Have we come up with a definitive answer yet?
yes.

Attached: 1525967718576.jpg (700x4989, 649K)

>still posting images that contain the conservation of energy argument when stationary portals break that anyway.

The rate you see an object and the speed it's moving are different things you moron. If you pull a curtain back quickly does the entire room accelerate?

Stop embarrassing yourself.

explain to me how the stationary cube is emerging from the stationary exit portal
if the entrance portal is moving at X meters per second, would you agree that the top of the cube is distancing itself from the surface of the exit portal by X meters every second?

Ok, so what happens here?

Attached: portal question.png (688x507, 21K)

Alright let me take a stab at it.

So imagine you were looking through the blue portal as the orange portal was moving; what would you feel? You'd feel all the air hitting your face at high speed. You'd then safely presume that the block would also be moving at said speed, right?

This would be correct IF there wasn't that platform holding the block. But that platform will halt the movement of the upper platform and prevent further space being transferred, so the correct scenario is A

>tfw day 2 of nofap

>the orange portal halting or not will magically change the velocity of objects that have already completely passed through the portal and no longer have anything to do with it.

it is firmly established in the games that local inertia is maintained through portals, so A is always the correct answer.

>it is firmly established that objects can not change direction while moving through portals.
Did you play the same game I did or did you just forget what inertia was?

to the exit(blue) portal its irreverent if

the platform with the enter(yelow) portal is moving to the block or

the platform with the cube is moving to the portal

Attached: same.png (1204x446, 95K)

Bfags hate him!

can A-fags just kill themselves already?
the answer is B, conservation of energy doesn't apply in portal universe, you can just make a ceiling + floor portal loop and fall forever to prove that.

Yes, its neither

>Wouldn't both fags think it's yes? A-fags because they don't think moving portals can confer any velocity in the first place
Well, the drinks are initially "static" and they'd need to catch up to the train's speed, but I guess the A-fags may have trouble figuring that potential problem. Maybe I should reverse the elements to confuse them. This is, having the trolley on the train and the guy outside so that they can imagine the drinks flying out at speed.

I expected B-fags to predominantly vote Yes because the B reference frame logic dictate Yes. I find it interesting that A-fags that think the drinks will go from 0 km/h to 100 km/h seamlessly.

The exit portal is not stationary, but it doesn't have any affect on the cube. The cube is still sat on the platform it started on until an outside force affects it.

Again, you're watching a curtain being pulled away from a stationary object. The speed of the curtain will N E V E R magically give the object velocity, acceleration, inertia or whatever else you want to use to try and justify this nonsense.

the a - fag would say putting your hand through is find, but pulling it back out would fuck it up

Nice strawman.

How the fuck is this the same? In the first one it's A and the second B.

as soon as it begins to enter the portal the portion of the box on the other side is being pushed by the rest at the rate the box is entering

That's different though, there's an external force at work here. The battering ram will extert an infinite pressure without the battering ram moving.

The cube would begin leaving the portal but fall down and exit the other one in an endless loop until it ceases moving entirely between the two portals

Neither.

and where is the cube gaining momentum to fly like that? magic?

Aren't wormholes supposed to be spheres anyway?

No. For the same reason you shouldn't jump out of a moving car just because you yourself are standing relatively still.

I love how even now this one question still brings about debate, theorizing, testing and more. Has this ever been brought to actual physicsfags in colleges or /sci/ or so on? I say if we want to take this to its logical conclusion with nuclear-tier autism, we bring this to the most big brain-tier people possible.

What kind of fucking idiot thinks it's B? How is this a debate?

Would you agree that in the example here that the box enters and exits the portal at the same speed? And if so how is your answer different for the scenarios? I'll tell you. You believe that momentum is a property of the object and it's momentum or lack of momentum is maintained after it exits the portal. But consider if that wasn't the case. Consider if the speed in which the cube exited maintained. Rather than being overridden by the physics of the previous dimension.

For me the scenario is all about point of references and beliefs. It's like arguing religion. If god could create or do anything then could he create a boulder so heavy that even he could not lift it.

Stand in front of a car accelerating towards you, is the car moving relative to you?

Holy shit you bfags are dumb. Put the orange portal directly after the blue and what do you get? The equivalent of a hula hoop. Drop a hula hoop around an object and it does not fly up.

Is /sci/ better at science than Yea Forums is at games?

Please, take the poll by that post. I see no No replies on it.

They usually basically just denounce the concept of wormholes as an outdated concept.

Hoops don't do this to me. You hoop mother fuckers are the worst of the lot. No one is talking about hoops. Hoops have an entrance and an exit that move with each other. The question posed is exactly the opposite. If the entrance was moving and exit was stationary.

lol its a hoop bro

Attached: 1511545682450.png (264x258, 56K)

But the exit movement is irrelevant because it's a PORTAL. Oh well. Keep being retarded I guess.

it's A you fucking retards

>Oh well. Keep being retarded I guess.
It's been a while since anyone responded to me with these "cool kid finishers" and I miss them.

>the cube moves relative to itself, which is impossible
Where did he bring up this nonsense from? Not only is that not a statement any physicist ever established in real life, but it is completely disproved within the VERY FIRST portal in the first game. When Chell is in her cell and the portal opens up in the wall, and an other at 90 degrees to her side, she already has different relative velocities and is already moving relative to herself.
This image is based on a non-argument. It's even stupider than Afaggotry.

Attached: citation needed.png (304x271, 24K)

Conservation of energy an momentum are some of the most widely known Physics sayings. Even people completely unfamiliar to Physics know about it. Do A-fags really believe that B-fags have not thought about it?

>B-fag explains what reference frames are, how the cube exits the portal at the nominal speed and how it would need to be stopped afterwards for it to be A, as well as the various hilarious implications that A would carry on different scenarios.
>Hey, B-fag, you are wrong because energy and momentum must be conserved (I just learned about this)!

It literally isn't. That's how portals work you fucking moron. Changing location =/= moving.

What happens now?

Attached: 2937642354.png (886x509, 144K)

AFAGS BTFO
BFAGS BTFO
EVERYONE BTFO

The portal acts like a doorway, the world is moving around it not the actual cube. if a door attached to another room moved over you, you wouldn't be flung across it.

I was really hoping that this was going to end with the portal slamming into the cube, and then [hl2.exe has stopped working]

If there is a room attached to that door as you say you'd certainly hit the other wall of the room or any objects on it. It doesn't matter whether you go against the room or the room goes against you.

The cube knows where it is at all times. It knows this because it knows where it isn't. By subtracting where it is from where it isn't, or where it isn't from where it is - whichever is greater - it obtains a difference or deviation. The guidance subsystem uses deviations to generate corrective commands to drive the cube from a position where it is to a position where it isn't, and arriving at a position that it wasn't, it now is. Consequently, the position where it is is now the position that it wasn't, and if follows that the position that it was is now the position that it isn't. In the event that the position that it is in is not the position that it wasn't, the system has acquired a variation. The variation being the difference between where the cube is and where it wasn't. If variation is considered to be a significant factor, it too may be corrected by the GEA. However, the cube must also know where it was. The cube guidance computer scenario works as follows: Because a variation has modified some of the information that the cube has obtained, it is not sure just where it is. However, it is sure where it isn't, within reason, and it know where it was. It now subtracts where it should be from where it wasn't, or vice versa. And by differentiating this from the algebraic sum of where it shouldn't be and where it was, it is able to obtain the deviation and its variation, which is called error.

When I was trying to crop it for upload I eventually got a cockblocking version which ended right before the portal hit the cube and then I remembered catbox exists

i know i always pick up speed when i go through multiple doors at once...

Attached: bulletdodge.jpg (1680x931, 716K)

Everyone has voted Yes so far. The guy easily and safely gets his drinks.
Can A-fags explain how the drinks go from 0 km/h and no kinetic energy to 100 km/h without breaking the guy's hand or spilling violently?
I know B-fags are not concerned by that issue, but conservation of energy and momentum is the core of the A theory.

So then what happens to the cube?

I see your perspective. But I can also see the other perspective. Which is if you were standing still and another dimension was flung at you then you would enter with speed and from the still perspective of the traveling dimension you would appear to be flung.

It's not being pushed at all

The portal is like a window, except there's different physical forces at work that don't cross the portal.

If you took a windowframe and dropped it on a cube, that's exactly what would happen in the scenario, which is why it's A in the first and B in the second.

I erased the time in which you erased time, only leaving the result of the cube flying out of the portal because Crazy Diamond is restoring it

It just works.

>got an official response from valve
I wanna see this

That image shows the cube airborne for 1 second before reaching the Apex of the arc. To spend that much time airborne it must have exited the portal at 20mph. Since the piston doesn't appear to be moving at that speed, that is not what B believes.

However, any speed will send an object flying when you stop applying a force, because gravity is 9m/s^2. So even at 1mph an object will go airborne if the platform going upwards is stopper, even if for less than 100ms. So the A part is also incorrect.

>there's different physical forces at work that don't cross the portal.

When is this said? All we have to go on is "speedy thing goes in, speedy thing comes out."

Jesus christ your posts aren't even fucking coherent

they basically just repeated one of the very first lines from the portal game and confirmed what A fags believe.
>"Speedy thing goes in. Speedy thing comes out."
so if the box wasn't speedy then it won't come out speedy

It doesn't change anything whether it is the case or not, but if it isn't the case, then you get really fucking weird physical interactions with things like gravity fields.

Like, if you put an earth next to another earth at a distance of a couple meters, you're going to see some shit. So if gravity is working through the portal, you - and everything near you including the planet you're on, is going to be feeling the gravitational pull of whatever mass is on the other side.

It gets even more weird when it's the same planet gravitationally pulling itself apart.

Pretty much this, all the force from the moving device is transferred into the platform holding the portal

>neither portal is moving in different frame of reference
>piston shoots up
>sends cube flying through portal and out other side
>A fags will say this makes sense, because it happens in portal
>A fags will argue that this is a completely different scenario

Attached: eOBKIJ5dyHk.webm (336x240, 133K)

The cube is moving if you're standing on the moving piston with the portal.

The specific speed and flight time are just for an example of how the cube would jump. We don't even know the size of the cube in that webm; it could be much bigger than you're imagining and the speed would be the 20mph you have calculated. You could also pretend that the webm was recorded at an altered speed or under a different gravity for ease of viewing. The important part is whether the cube jumps up or not and why it is B.

That's how they programmed it, but the system they made would duplicate rooms as a way to make the whole thing work. They didn't exactly program portals and the way they break physics.
For them the process of an object entering a portal was in fact as easy as "Speedy thing goes in. Speedy thing comes out." but ingame portals when you take them at face value actually violate conservation of momentum, even the non moving ones.

its pushed by its on mass displacing it

cos it's a poorly concentualised question
it's like asking how long a piece of string is

Attached: overpowering.png (655x558, 23K)

Attached: 1499474851756.png (1712x1752, 286K)

Which is the external force?
Because the battering ram will always either break or get broken. It could be made out of titanium or uranium, it doesn't matter.
This is why A is silly, because the thought experiment I showed clearly demonstrates that portals end up adding force(and not just some force, but a force that draws on infinite energy) in some way that can't be explained normally. There is no alternative. There is no scenario in which "the cube slides off".
Unless you can explain my example, you can't in any way say "A" is probable.