What are the 10 most iconic games of the 90s?

What are the 10 most iconic games of the 90s?

Attached: Final Fantasy VI.gif (500x438, 494K)

Link to the Past
Super Mario World
Tomb Raider
Ocarina of Time
Mario 64
Sonic
FF7
Spyro
Pokemon
Crash

Crono nigger

I'd probably swap Tomb Raider with RE1, maybe Mario World with Star Fox 64, but yeah, it's hard to debate this

Diablo

>no doom
jesus christ what a terrible post

replace tomb raider with doom and you're probably 100% on the mark

ocarina of time
doom
mario 64
half life
final fantasy 7
pokemon red/blue
Myst
metal gear solid
silent hill
final fantasy IX (this one i'm the least sure about)

minecraft

madden 90-99

I was debating with a few of them but RE1 is a good point. I'd swap it with Crash though. Many people forget just how BIG Tomb Raider was when it came out. It was a pop culture sensation.

I'll give you Mario World for Doom but Tomb stays. This isn't a list of what's best just what made the biggest splash.

pro-tip: none of them are j*panese
only retarded murisharts played bing bing wahoo on their shitty consoles
high IQ people played strategy games\high-skill competitive shooters on PC

>ffix

idiot

Had to make it top 14 so i don't forget anything
1. Ocarina of Time
2. Super Mario 64
3. A Link To The Past
4. Final Fantasy VII
5. Street Fighter
6. Chrono Trigger
7. Super Metroid
8. Super Mario World
9. Metal Gear Solid
10. Super Mario Bros 3
11. GoldenEye 007
12. Final Fantasy VI
13. Castlevania SOTN
14. Pokemon Red/Blue

half life and smash

woops, didnt realize FF IX is 2000, then link to the past.

Aside from StarCraft there isn't a single PC game that was popular among normalfag casuals in the 90s, PC gaming was looking down upon & incredibly niche until The Sims made it acceptable for Normalfags to play on PC.

Half Life was pretty important but Smash didn't really explode until Melee.

he said games not console games

Nobody outside a small minority of neckbeards cared about PC gaming

Attached: Screenshot_2019-07-29 WCvV15c png (PNG Image, 870 × 978 pixels) - Scaled (78%).png (853x618, 184K)

Lmao
Delusional console faggots

Nah your parents were just too poor and dump to buy a PC like everybody else's

Seethe all you want but it's true & you will never be able to prove him wrong

Half-life
Quake
Doom
Unreal
Planescape Torment
Fallout
Ultima online
System Shock
Resident Evil
X-Com Enemy Unknown

Sure if you're American, who never used PCs for some reason

I hear the music. Neat.

>normalfag casuals
You mean dumbshit murican kids.
PC was always a gaming platform for smart people, even in 70s\80s

What the fuck country are you that PC gaming was a normal everyday activity in the 90s on par with owning a super Nintendo or playstation?

>can't understand the word iconic
Fuck you eurotrash are retarded.

> The absolute state of contrarian hipsters
This is your beloved Doom, look at how irrelevant it was in North America, this was all the way back in 2003 when journalists were hyping the shit out of Doom 3.

Attached: 207d7fd2cb2fa7a5f2e91d8956694573a2703d0d_s2_n1.jpg (1124x198, 30K)

I'm from New Zealand, but it's like that in Europe too
Console exclusivity is pretty much a USA/Japan thing

>Ocarina of Time
>Mario 64

pfftpfphahaha

Computer and Video Games Magazine is the oldest gaming journalism outlet of all time, and their first best game list in 2000 had nothing but console games

So we're going to pretend that the two most significant video game markets in the world during the 90s are irrelevant to what video games were popular in the 90s? Is everyone in New Zealand an idiot or just you? I mean shit there's American cities with more people than your country. Try and pretend anything you do is iconic on a global scale.

No idea why PC drones are seething so badly, even the biggest Sonyfag console war faggots loved Golden age Nintendo. You can play all Nintendo's games on PC now

He could be anywhere but murica, because no other country was targeted with this much Japanese corporate propaganda, even Japan itself.
>on par with owning a super Nintendo or playstation
Not "on par with" but clearly superior to it.
You only buy your retarded kid a console if you are a bad parent and don't care about his development (as evident by all the murican beta males today, by the way they are not even beta, they are omega)

in the UK Commodore/Amiga was the biggest platform of their time

I didn't say console games were irrelevant, but PC games weren't irrelevant either, this board is just mostly American SNES kids
Europe has more people than the US

>North America
opinion discarded

America & Japan are the only relevant countries for entertainment, Take them away and every popular franchise disappears

> Eurofag thinks he's relevant
Clearly not because that Journalism publication was from the UK. Continue seething though

UK had a huge game development scene in the 90s nearly on par with the US

They are only relevant in murica and japan, take them away and nothing changes anywhere but in those 2 countries.

Wrong, Rare was the only relevant British developer & that was only because of Nintendo's guidence. Without Nintendo they fell apart instantly

more relevant than you, mohammed
>shitendo
never were relevant in any way

The only relevant developer to you maybe because they made your beloved Nintendo games
A shitton of early Playstation games were made in the UK

I don't know what qualifies as iconic, but mortal kombat was a huge topic back then

>Tomb stays. This isn't a list of what's best just what made the biggest splash.
This 2bh, speaking as someone who was 20yo when TR was released Lara and TR was everywhere, film, magazines, tv, adverts, she was what michael jackson was in the 80's, everywhere you couldn't escape it, Final fantasy, Crash, Spyro, or RE etc didn't come close, games sales sure, but as an icon of the 90's, no way.

You really are stupid. The entire point of this thread is what games are iconic, that is popular. Anyone who thinks that there's any PC games that had worldwide penetration even close to pokemon, Mario or final fantasy is a retard.
>but you're poor
You're dumb. I had a pc, Gameboy, N64 playstation and snes. And I played em all but that doesn't change the objective fact that world wide iconic status is not set by the half of Europe that was third world countries in the 90s or miniature backwaters like New Zealand.

Gaming factually doesn't exist if Super Mario Bros didn't come out in 1985, every popular 3D game only exists because Super Mario 64, GoldenEye 007, Resident Evil & Ocarina of Time

>Anyone who thinks that there's any PC games that had worldwide penetration even close to pokemon, Mario or final fantasy is a retard.
Blizzard games easily if you count Asian markets

Sure now tell me all about all those movies and music that you enjoy that doesn't come from the states or Japan that was relevant in the 90s?

> Comparing your literal who fapbait character to the most famous global icon of all time
The absolute state of Eurodrones

Doom is one of the best games games made which revolutionised the genre and vidya for decades to come with modding community still active today
FF6 is just a JRPG

When a PC gaming franchise makes over 20 Billion dollars like Final Fantasy, Street Fighter & Mario then you can talk. Pokemon will have made 100 billion by the time Sword/Shield come out. When Gen 1 came out it completely took over the world, aside from MJ nothing even compared to Pokemon at the time. Everyone was talking about it regardless of what part of the world it was

>most famous global icon of all time
WHo?

> Doom is one of another generic FPS game that nobody cared about outside Europeans too poor to afford a Nintendo or Sony console like the rest of the world, it was forgotten as soon as Half-Life & GoldenEye came out
> Final Fantasy VI is a 600 million dollar game that everyone still circlejerks as one of the 10 best games of all time today.

>After its release, StarCraft became the best-selling PC game for that year, selling over 1.5 million copies worldwide

Yeah that's not comparable to pokemon at all. I played starcraft when it was new, but if you think it was taking the entire world by storm the way the most valuable media franchise in history did you're insane.

Couldn't get anymore normie than this. I bet you have sex too, huh?

Blizzard games easily beat out Final Fantasy, Starcraft and Warcraft were super-popular in China and SEA

Jesus Christ if you count religious figures, if not then Michael Jackson easily takes the crown

Absolutely delusional

Attached: Screenshot_2019-07-29 List of highest-grossing video game franchises.png (598x475, 37K)

Yeah that 1994 Chinese video game market was quite a thing. Are you sure you're not just projecting today's realities onto a decade you probably weren't even alive for?

Pokemon is bigger than everything else
but if you compare Starcraft to Final Fantasy or Mario, it's comparable, it was huge in Asia which you don't have sales figures for of course because they only bought pirated games

some garbage that faggots like it

>starcraft is bigger than Mario
Imagine being this stupid.

>he can't juxtapose and compare MJs media saturation in the 80's and Laras in the 90's and automatically thinks it's a pissing contest
PUt it this way Lara had more media coverage than MJ in the 90's

Except it literally fucking isn't, not by any metric. It's only made 1 Billion dollars, even Idolmaster is more popular than StarCraft

>all this soulless weeb trash
Yikes.

Here are few of the most iconic games from 90s.
GTA 1-2
System Shock 1-2
Thief
Doom 1-2
Quake 1-3
Civilization 1-2
Alpha Centauri
Starcraft
Warcraft 1-2
Half Life
Command & Conquer 1-2
Red Alert 1-2
Baldur's Gate 1-2
Planescape Torment
Arcanum
Daggerfall
Age of Empires 1-2
Dune 2000

comparable. Starcraft probably has more hours played, as a cultural icon of course Mario is on top

Literally wrong, i can tell you weren't even alive during the 90s.

>It's only made 1 Billion dollars
So? Everyone in Asia pirated video games

The ability to just pull shit out your ass about how often something was pirated in China doesn't make you right about a single thing.

>Rare was the only relevant British developer
Imagine being this wrong

>tetris nowhere to be seen
I dont believe you

>Mario
Anywhere but in murica he is regarded as "that red faggot from a flash game"

Normalfags don't know what any of those games are except StarCraft & Half-Life. Being iconic is only related to popularity & widespread critical acclaim. Nobody cares about any of those games you mentioned, they pale in comparison to the average console game from that era like Gran Turismo or Dragon Quest

>most iconic
>as a cultural icon
Holy shit you finally figured out what it is we're taking about.

The ability to say I pulled it out of my ass because you're unfamilar with how the world works outside of the USA doesn't make you right about a single thing

Deus Ex
FF7
Chrono Trigger
Super Mario World
Goldeneye
Doom
Ocarina of Time
Sonic
Metal Gear Solid
Master of Orion 2

Final Faggotry not related

Everyone knew about these games and enjoyed them.
Everyone aside from dumb murican kids that is.

Yeah I'm sure that the Chinese, an absolute economic backwater compared the US, or Japan or Germany in the 90s were swallowing up computer games at a time when even the wealthiest people in the world still saw it as a luxury item.

All of this is wrong except the console shit
Yep continue seething, notice a pattern faggot? Notice how there isn't a single iconic PC gaming character?

Attached: Best Character lists Topped.png (1415x494, 432K)

China isn't the only country in Asia, not sure if you've looked at a map recently

MJs popularity in the 90's was limited to MTV, I was born in '76

No they fucking didn't you delusional retard, America is the 3rd largest country in the world by Population. In the 90s it was the center of the universe

By everyone you mean the 1.5 million people who bought it worldwide in the first year, most of whom were probably american.

>In the 90s it was the center of the universe
I can feel the desperation in this post
The clinging the the lost golden age of a nation

>posts a clear evidence of Japanese corporate propaganda brainwashing dumb murican kids for decades
You were supposed to grow up and understand how the world works.
Sad!

Holy fuck you're dumb. Yeah Vietnam was a real powerhouse then too. Certainly Laos had more of a video game market than Japan or the US in the 90s. And how could I forget all those khmer Rouge sponsored starcraft teams.

> Bbbut my schizophrenic conspiracy theories
This is why PC gaming has never been relevant & never will be

Keep going, you're getting close

Those are characters, not games. I intentionally avoided an all console list, Deus Ex and MoO2 are iconic genre defining games that are still frequently talked about.

>Iconic
>not normie
Did you huff glue when you were young?

>he thinks worldwide culture wasn't dominated by the US during the 90s
Tell me you don't know what star wars, Micheal Jackson or fucking Bill Clinton is. You know starcraft is an American game right? The one youre insisting the entire world revered and worshipped all the while saying nobody cared about what the states did?

You must have me confused with another poster

You cannot be iconic if you aren't extremely popular with normalfags. Nobody gives a shit about any of the games you mentioned except StarCraft & Half-Life. There isn't a single place aside from RPGCodex that cares about them. Even Yea Forums had nothing but console games in their top 10 this year

>"Giant international corporations using PR to sell their garbage" is a schizophrenic conspiracy theory
Damn.
Clearly your development stopped right after the parents bought you your first console, so I'm gonna leave you to your bing bing wahoos and fuck off.
Peace, niggas.

Why are pc gamers so disgusting and fat compared to console gamers?

I very much doubt that there's more than one "muh dumb murricans" poster in here right now you mongoloid.

There's at least 2

>New Zealand
My city has a larger population than your city. You are irrelevant.

Continue clinging to your delusions /pol/fag
Their games are irrelevant & have never gotten the kind of recognition as Sony or Nintendo games

You got the wrong poster m8

>Tell me you don't know what star wars is

A franchise full of British actors

Tell me which one of these countries is relevant compared to the Japan or the states. Especially during the 90s

Attached: 1280px-Southeast_Asia_(orthographic_projection).svg.png (1280x1282, 308K)

Your city is so big yet you still feel insecure about something, what does that tell us

>Why are pc gamers so disgusting and fat compared to console gamers?

Attached: asdasda.jpg (503x387, 21K)

Michael Jackson has more fans than New Zealand has people

Not sure what "relevance" means but countries with a significant game playing population in the 90s were (parts of) China, Korea, Taiwan, Hong Kong, Malaysia, Singapore and the Philippines
possibly Indonesia, but I don't know anything about them

Do console poorfags not realise that most PC gamers who have high end gaming set ups usually have consoles too, or at least buy one to play exclusives before reselling. Also good luck being a disgusting fatbody and getting the kind of job needed to fund such a hobby. Why are console peasants such bitter flaccid smelly stoners?

My body has more cells than Michael Jackson has fans

>Hong Kong, Korea
>South East Asia
If we're taking iconic status of a video game of course population matters. A game popular in a nothing country like Taiwan isn't the same as a game popular in the most powerful and wealthy countries in the world. And you have literally no proof that China in the 90s was big into starcraft other than your theory of "dude they pirated it to play on the PCs they couldn't afford"

Michael Jackson will forever live on in the children he molested

Annnnyyyway, i'm leaving this thread now it's been, it's been, gay.

Michael Jacksons cummies

China was into PC games because consoles were literally banned. It's true they're poor, which is why I said parts of China, but China is a very big place. All Asian countries apart from Japan pirated video games. They printed them out on CDs and sold them at their flea markets or whatever the fuck they're called. This is common knowledge to anyone from that part of the world, but because you're an ignorant American you're acting like it's some far-fetched conspiracy theory I made up

Diablo
Doom
EverQuest
Final Fantasy 7
Contra
Mario 64
Daggerfall
Might and Magic
Zelda 64
Goldeneye

this isnt a final fantasy game is it? looks like a cool mech real time tactics game

Lots of FFIXiggers lately
Why are nineiggers so butthurt recently?

U can check Yea Forums archive i already answered this

Super Mario Bros. 3
Sonic the Hedgehog
Street Fighter II
Tomb Raider
Doom
Resident Evil
Super Mario 64
Final Fantasy VII
Metal Gear Solid
Ocarina of Time

Attached: bane.webm (512x320, 2.93M)

> Literal Who garbage like Doom but no Pokemon, Mario World or Super Metroid

I don't think i ever liked any of the FF games, to me the only thing FF has going is this somewhat odd and at the same time generic look to it that makes it stand out, but i don't like it

Attached: 1547896928917.jpg (1438x957, 117K)

Too heavily weighted to mid/late 90s

>My city has a larger population than your city.
Did you mean to say 'than your country'? How embarrassing to try to say a stupid thing but have it come out sounding even dumber.

The main issue with this is that there's no PC games whatsoever.

What about Minesweeper? People wasted so many office hours playin that game. And what about Myst, the revolutionary 3D exploration game? Quake?

>he didnt include my favorites so its literal who tier

Get a load of this child.

>no Metal Gear Solid
>no Gran Turismo
>no Tekken
have sex, N64 bab

It's also not iconic. It's not even iconic relative to other FF games from the 90's. It's not supposed to be a list of games that you personally like best from the 90's,

To the general public and not just a bunch of kids on Yea Forums who weren't even alive then?

Doom
Super Mario World
Super Mario 64
Street Fighter II
Final Fantasy VII
Sonic the Hedgehog
Mortal Kombat
Pokémon
Half-Life
Goldeneye 007

This is the ONLY correct list. Anyone who disagrees with it is just picking their favorites instead of the actual shit that everyone would recognize and associate with that era.

Wasn't Mario 3 1989?

even worse than fucking toddlers, cry louder third world scum

Not where it matters

Secret of Mana

System shock 2
it inspired halo
half life
dead space probably a lot more