I've been playing this for the first time and I don't get it...

I've been playing this for the first time and I don't get it, why have I for so long been hearing about how shitty Fallout 3 is and how great the original is for all these years? OG Fallout is excellent and it's just grown my appreciation for how great of a job Bethesda did with Fallout 3 and how natural of a modern interpretation it is, even improving it in some aspects.

Attached: fallout_1_wallpaper.jpg (786x442, 71K)

People don't like F3 for how bethesda didn't understand certain tones of the original Fallout games.

fallout 3 will be remembered more fondly than it was received at launch

Attached: parrot bully.webm (204x360, 171K)

People hate 3 because the story and dialogue are shit and the entire point of fallout 1 and 2 was creating different approaches to problems through skills and checks, where as we got pic related in 3

Attached: cd9.jpg (600x480, 28K)

f3 is the most bland vanilla game you can play, it's boring af, only mods could save it

>you can't be president. you're an abortion of science. you need to die...
BRAVO TODD

>Fallout, 1997
Not designed around quest markers in any capacity
All NPCs are killable
Genuine consequences for actions (not holstering your weapon in towns)
Non-linear solutions to most quests
Dark ambient score to add to the atmosphere
Depicts a world recovering from nuclear holocaust, with towns and trade routes emerging

>Fallout 3, 2007
Designed almost entirely around following GPS markers on your map
Most NPCs are arbitrarily unkillable
No consequences for your actions (blowing up Megaton is a prime example)
Soundtrack solely consisting of 50s tracks, even though they were only used in the originals sparingly
Most quests have very little freedom in how to solve them
Game takes place hundreds of years after the Great War, yet it looks like the bombs dropped last weekend

Attached: smugBoomer.png (660x669, 382K)

So, you think this game is shit?

What are the dialog options when you scroll down?

>Not designed around quest markers in any capacity
>Designed almost entirely around following GPS markers on your map
OG doesn't have markers within towns, but the map is just dead space and markers, and NPCs will even tell you locations that just get added to your map to travel to in a single click.

>not holstering your weapon in towns
This is more of an annoyance than anything if you want to use more than one weapon.

This. It would have been a nice touch if you could holster weapons rather than put them back in the inventory and have a blank slot or non-weapon item.

3 is not that bad. don't trust obsifags

It's better with TTW to fix all the gameplay issues.

Attached: IQtaDRy.jpg (1080x1920, 303K)

I'd hardly consider 3 a masterpiece, but I've never fully understood the amount of vitriol it gets. It's best to take it as its own thing, rather than a continuation of 1 and 2.

Attached: Fallout Tiers.png (1996x820, 576K)

Honestly Fallout 3 misunderstood everything about the series and i do mean everything
It's been discussed to death already but here's the main points, the structure of the game (i.e. overworld and story progression) is shit, the tone is shot and is much lighter than in previous games, it takes place years after Fallout 2 (where civilization and nature starts to regrow), the writing is bad and a lot of things from previous games are just changed for np reason, like the Enclave, super mutants or Brotherhood of Steel
I honestly think feel like New Vegas was the real Fallout 3 and the previous game was just Oblivion with guns

>lore rape
>atrocious writing
>streamlined rpg mechanics to focus more on combat
pretty easy to understand why people dislike 3 so much even if those things aren't problems for you personally

>Not designed around quest markers in any capacity
'97 is designed around clicking locations on the world map and walking around a hanful of screens and talking to anyone who has something to say/

>All NPCs are killable
>Most NPCs are arbitrarily unkillable
Good point that not killing everyone is a flaw in F3, but I don't recall most NPCs being unkillable, just ones that stop you from beating the game.

>Genuine consequences for actions (not holstering your weapon in towns)
>No consequences for your actions (blowing up Megaton is a prime example)
Fallout '97 has nice touches that NPCs can take offence to or act in different ways, but correct me if I'm wrong, but I doubt wiping out Shady Sands for example would have more consequences than blowing up Megaton, in fact it would have less since Megaton provides much more in terms of quests, characters and items.

>Non-linear solutions to most quests
>Most quests have very little freedom in how to solve them
A great plus in favor of Fallout '97, although like a lot of F3 issues, it's usually the main questline that suffers.

>Dark ambient score to add to the atmosphere
>Soundtrack solely consisting of 50s tracks, even though they were only used in the originals sparingly
The 50s stuff only plays over the radio in F3, which as far as I'm concerned it isn't even the default way to play, in fact I find it has an incredible amount of atmosphere with the ambiant music and just sound effects.

>Depicts a world recovering from nuclear holocaust, with towns and trade routes emerging
>Game takes place hundreds of years after the Great War, yet it looks like the bombs dropped last weekend
97' Fallout did this better without question as far as lore and simple logic goes, but Fallout 3 is much more visually striking.

>The writing is atrociou-

Attached: God tier Fallout 3 Writing.jpg (1113x756, 222K)

3 at least made an attempt to emulate the original Fallout even if it was full of Bethesda's weird or bad attempts to 'modernize' the series or shit that translated horribly from a top down CRPG into a shooter with RPG elements. People meme about the bad skill dialogue but at least there are a few places where skill checks let you access different outcomes compared to Fallout 4 which abandoned all pretenses.

Truly makes one pontificate...

Attached: 1561022972118.png (241x401, 102K)

>Fallout 3 is much more visually striking.
Yeah, the green filther is an eye sore.

So I'm playing this game and I got the water chip and everything but I'm not sure what to do next. I know I have to find the source of the mutants but I really don't know how to go about getting to them. The Overseer said they're coming from the west so I tried just walking straight west of the vault and ran into a super mutant patrol and got absolutely shredded. Is there a specific step I'm supposed to take next or do I just have to be strong enough to kill the mutant patrols (or lucky enough to not run into them)?

>Fallout 3 is much more visually striking.
*blocks your path*

Attached: Junktown_Entrance.png (640x480, 152K)

Go to the Vault that is on your map list at the beginning, visit Shady Sands on the way and find out all the info for other nearby locations there and get the guy you can recruit, fight the Radscorpions too if you want. After that just keep going around that general area, you don't want to go west until you've leveled and geared up quite a bit and even then clearing that out doesn't complete the game until you finish the other required level.

>the tone is shot and is much lighter than in previous games
Fallout 2 may be different (haven't played it yet) but you're full of shit if you believe that about the first game, it's fall of gag characters and silly/cringe dialog.

Attached: lox.jpg (480x360, 24K)

>excellent and it's just grown my appreciation for how great of a job Bethesda did with Fallout 3 and how natural of a modern interpretation it is
things that never happened for 600

OK kiddo, they utterly and completely missed the point of fallout, as well as lost it's art direction, atmosphere, gameplay, gameplay style variety, RPG mechanics, combat mehcanics, voice acting, music, the setting and just about everything about the lore
why even call it fallout at that point

*Blocks my path with the most blatent copy/paste assets I've ever seen*

In Fallout 2, one of the towns is run by an intelligent, mutant rat.

Attached: Fo2_The_Brain.png (240x180, 83K)

If you read my post you would know I've already gotten the water chip and done all that, unless you're suggesting I go back to Vault 15 and Shady Sands, though I'm not sure why?

fallout 1 has less copypasta than fallout 3
yes a game with 5 character models has more variety in its levels than fallout 3

>I honestly think feel like New Vegas was the real Fallout 3 and the previous game was just Oblivion with guns
it would be if it wasn't at its base a total conversion mod for fallout 3
given enough budget for all-new art assets it would be

Oh I skipped over that somehow sorry, anyway if you've done Necropolis and the Hub already keep going south to the L.A. Boneyard or find the Brotherhood of Steel which is between Vault 13 and the Hub if you want to savescum and search around for it.

The super mutant (near the water pumps) in Necropolis takes you to the base, other than that I don't know yet.

There is nothing visually striking about that pic.

Sounds like Fallout 3 is perfectly in line, or even less silly than the first two then.

Bethesda's Fallout 3 has nothing to do with Fallout past the branding. It's an Elder Scrolls game with a coat of paint (albeit with worse world building), as evidenced by where their design priorities were, and if that's something you appreciate, then it's probably fine. There's no point in comparing it to Fallout, however; there's just nothing there that isn't surface-level.

Go straight down from Vault 13. You'll find Mariposa, which you'll need to destroy.
However, I suggest finding the BoS HQ before doing that since you are going to need good equipment. I think they are further below The Hub, but I don't remember it that well.

There's also a part where, if you don't have a high enough STR stat, you can lose an arm wrestle to a super mutant and become his gimp for the night. Fallout 2 is full of stuff like that, but it also has a lot of serious topics like slavery and genocide.

You can realise bizarre/absurd ideas in a smart way or you can realise them in a dumb way. Bethesda did the latter.

First of all. No game deserves to be put on the same tier with FO76.
New Vegas doesn't come even close to 1 and 2.
Fallout 4 is kinda okay if you try to forget it's supposed to be a Fallout game. On par with 3 I'd say.
Tactics and Brotherhood of Steel aren't bad, they're different. People didn't like them because they weren't more of the same as 1 and 2.

>tfw the chosen one banging the daughter/wife of a mob boss and having a son is canon

>No game deserves to be put on the same tier with FO76.
BoS is pretty bad, user.

>Soundtrack solely consisting of 50s tracks, even though they were only used in the originals sparingly
Why do you insist on being a disingenuous cunt? You aren't actually required to play the whole game exclusively with the radio blaring, you know. While not quite as good as the score for the first two games, the ambient themes in Fallout 3 did a fantastic job of capturing the atmosphere of a lonely postapocalypse.

I mean fucking seriously. This board exists to discuss video games; not to bury discussion with blatant non-arguments. What do get out of this?

>First of all. No game deserves to be put on the same tier with FO76.
fallout 4 is about the same piece of shit no amount of mods can fix desu fampai
all fo76 did was remove the mods

FO1 really didn't do it in a smart way at all. If there's a smart way to throw the player a curve ball it's Harold (the tree guy) in Fallout 3 as opposed to

Harold wasn't even Bethesda's idea.

And Fallout 76 didn’t have the godawful story that 4 had.

Still in the game. I'm not interested in shilling Bethesda or shitting on them.

You are not a clever person, are you?

true, that's always a plus

Useless post.

The only nice thing I can say about 4 is I didn't hate the shooting mechanics. Beyond that... I dont like anything else about it. I couldn't even turn my brain off and try to normalfag enjoy it

I played Fallout 1 years ago and after recently replaying it I was shocked to discover that I didn't remember what any location looked like. It's all very bland and blends together.

>New Vegas doesn't come even close to 1 and 2
Are you just saying that because it doesn’t have an isometric perspective and runs in the FO3 engine? It’s better than either imo. NV is basically the real FO3; it was written developed by basically the same core group who had been working on FO3 before it was canned. It uses versions of the FO3 concepts.

This has always been the most retarded OLD GOOD NEW BAD complaint I have ever seen directed towards Beth Fallouts.
Literally just don't fucking open up the radio if you don't want to hear 50's tunes, then you get the ambient OST, and in New Vegas's case, you get the original Fallout's OST in many areas.

Most of everything else I agree with.

>i literately can't stop sucking BIG BLACK COCK
>can you be a bull for my wife?
>fuck whitey amirite my fellow black man?
>the jews did 9/11

>It’s better than either imo
NVfags are so delusional. It's a piece of shit game that looks and plays exactly like a Bethesda game and I don't get why zoomers pretend that it's anything other than complete trash.

Because New Vegas came out and we realized what Fallout could have and should have been.

No enteral pit of agony and darkness tier for 76 Ok Todd

New Vegas is shit, if anything it showed what the game shouldn't have been.

Are you shitposting or are you actually this retarded?

This.

Dumbass

Being contrarian wont make you right. Its ok, New Vegas is a Yea Forums approved game, you smooth brained faggot

Hey, Tactics had really really really fucking good combat, much better than 3.

i dragged myself all the way to killing the Master and just couldn't bring myself to go on (still had to blow up the base) for another hour or two, but really spending 10 minutes watching Adytum residents miss punches (max combat speed) on regulators before realizing that Ian had accidentally shot one and they were now aggro'd onto me was about where i checked out

i wasn't really blown away by the writing in any area and none of the quests other than the main ones were very good, nice ambient soundtrack though

I agree with most of what you said outside of a couple points:
>No consequences for your actions (blowing up Megaton is a prime example)
What? Megaton is no longer there after you blow it up. That alone is an enormous consequence. I agree this is kind of lazily handled in some RP respects though, they had the opportunity to do something cool with it when your dad confronts you about blowing it up but they fumble it and he acts like you crashed your first car or something instead of realistically reacting to the fact that you literally nuked a town.
So what? It gave FO3 a unique score and feel.
Also,
>Most NPCs are arbitrarily unkillable
Yeah this is gay but every single modern AAA RPG is pretty much like this. It's an industry wide problem. Doesn't excuse Bethesda of course but I think the context is deserved.

Nothing important. The real purpose of the screenshot is highlight how absolutely retarded that """intelligence"""" check is.

Brotherhood of Steel is fucking horrible, what are you on about?

>That alone is an enormous consequence
It's a minor consequence at best. You maybe miss out on some quests if you never finished them and that's about it. Megaton is hardly relevant after you hit level 10. And the only time it's ever referenced is on the radio and by your dad, who only comes across as mildly disappointed by your shenanigans.

>looks and plays exactly like a Bethesda game
which is miles better than FO1 or FO2 or any other isometric boomer dogshit

there's a reason nobody gives a fuck about those games while bethesda releases do huge numbers

It doesn't play any worse than FO1 or 2. Those games are slow and have an incredibly clunky UI. They weren't exactly atypical for the time, sure, but we're grading these games against each other and a lot of those older isometric games haven't aged the best.

>Tactics and Brotherhood of Steel aren't bad, they're different
No, BoS is bad, full stop. Even when judging it based on its own merits, it's bad.

There are like ten quests in Megaton along with a possible player home and a ton of characters. It's the main city of the game, being able to nuke it is unironically the greatest thing Fallout 3 achieved and is a good example of allowing player freedom.
I agree they handle the roleplaying aspect of it terribly, but I don't think the player should face moral "consequences" for the action. The whole point is that you get away with it IMO, it's a great chance to play as a mustache-twirler.
Maybe it would have been cool if it activated some other quests where avengers of the city tried to hunt you down or something, or it made you pass speech checks if you wanted to work with the Brotherhood and if they found out you were the one who nuked the town they would become hostile, but we're talking about Bethesda here. I'm overjoyed they even included the option in the first place.

FO2 is actually worse with it's constant fourth wall breaks and pop culture references, but FO1's humor is very dark and tongue-in-cheek. FO3's humor is over the top, sometimes juvenile, and often caked in irony.

>but at least there are a few places where skill checks let you access different outcomes compared to Fallout 4 which abandoned all pretenses
This is actually why I prefer FO4 to 3. The RPG mechanics were so sparse and implemented in such a ham fisted way that there's almost no appeal. Meanwhile, FO4 has better direct gameplay and a streamlined system, making it unironically a fine "turn your brain off" game.

Attached: Heavy fish.png (1126x1900, 3.3M)