Beat-em-ups (or lack thereof)

What went wrong?

Attached: db7plmy-24a8bcb6-69db-4da8-ad0b-cbd8cd11800b.png (385x224, 158K)

Other urls found in this thread:

youtube.com/watch?v=J6JuJnfL6QY
youtube.com/watch?v=CKb5lFYo464
youtube.com/watch?v=kYsfqFoV9EA
youtube.com/watch?v=KQcf_bL8qF4
youtube.com/watch?v=bkVdJXolW_0
youtu.be/Tw1-nTw5Zhw
youtube.com/watch?v=54_aZGcgqAc
youtube.com/watch?v=AE-7Epc6sUo
twitter.com/NSFWRedditVideo

Arcades died.

they became musou

I wish they came back because I have a henchwomen fetish and this is the only genre with solid, consistent providings.
Fightan never felt as good.

those girls were turned into trannies in america because of feminism

they're fucking boring

This

I just can't get into those. There is too much cannon fodder for one person to be fighting all at once.

That game had fucking awesome music.
youtube.com/watch?v=J6JuJnfL6QY
BREAK OUT, BUST YOUR BRAIN OUT

you're thinking of Final Fight where it was always canon they were transvestites and the Nintendo port changed them into skinny dudes.

The warriors was the last good one

1. Arcades died.
2. The genre peaked during the arcade age so there is no reason to make or buy new games: you just can start MAME / Fightcade and play one of the top games in the genre for free.
3. It has no appeal to modern audiences due to its simplicity and short length (games that can be finished on 30 minutes)

That's it. Don't listen to the fags blaming politics.

Yakuza

Couch-op also died

What are you talking about? We just recently got a remaster of a beat em up where you can now play as an XBOX HUEG robot

Attached: Ninja Warriors Once Again Raiden.jpg (1280x720, 173K)

That sounds like a good thing though? I can't imagine having a game like River City Ransom on the arcades, considering its length, character development, etc. Same with Dragon's Crown.
Shit dude, I'd kill for a River City Ransom RPG with online co-op and loot drops.

When did they go away?
>DMC5 earlier this year
>Yakuza games every fucking year
>Astral Chain soon
>River City Girls after that
>Bayonetta 3 in the works.
(eventually...)
>Numerous indie titles over the years like Fight n Rage.

They may not be as numerous as in the arcade days, but they're still there. Or am I the only one who sees these "Character action games" as beat-em-ups too

Attached: River-City-Girls.jpg (1600x900, 289K)

Beat em Ups died with Scott Pilgrim VS. The World.
Sada

I think God Hand was the natural evolution of the genre, where it should have gone. But no one bought it.

People thought they were only good as arcade quarter munchers and never bothered to expand the formula too much beyond that. Some games did, adding more diverse movesets and movement options, but sadly they got stuck too much in the "move right, hit button until you die, put in more quarters" trap. Shmups used to be in there until Japanese autists demanded the formula grow and develop into the bullet hells of today.

no it happened to this game and other games too
due to feminism
you're fapping to a MAN

I know this sounds like pure faggotry, but that's how I see Soulsborne and its clones: to me they're weapon based beat-em-ups with RPG elements.

They are Yakuza, Musous, DMC and shit like that.

2d will still be getting new beat'em'ups like SoR4 and River girls

I see Soulsborne games are just poor memorization games.

3d, mostly.

Very simplistic and didn't really evolve. The last one that really tried to evolve was Dragon's Crown but that lacked a lot of quality of life features.

Games like Ultimate Alliance 3 are kinda picking up the slack. I know it isn't the side-scrolling a lot of people want but it's the closest you've got for now.

They're still around

youtube.com/watch?v=CKb5lFYo464

Pretty good too.

Sounds like something they would have put on Double Dragon Neon
youtube.com/watch?v=kYsfqFoV9EA

This, but then musou went to shit. Press one button, get 250 KOs. No one ever attacks you back. Enemy variety is zero since everything dies in one hit anyway.

Basara did everything right but aside from 3 it was Japan only and then Yukimura-den killed the series.

>5 beat em ups a year with only 1 or 2 being good
>"What are you talking about"

Shut up dude.

They evolved.

Yeah evolved into fucking trash like Yakuza. Walk around and get into 30 second fights preceded by 30 minutes of cutscenes

Ahem
Fight n Rage
Street of Rage 4
Streets of Fury Ex
Try those (minus SOR4 as it's upcoming)

I think Beat-Em-Ups have too much of a varied definition that it's hard to pigeonhole them into a "genre" like say, the fighting game genre. What do you need for a fighting game? Usually just one dude against another with varied movesets in simple versus fights. It's easy to put a ton of games into that category and few people will argue with you. They might add qualifiers like "3d" or "smash-like" but in the end everyone agrees about what a fighting game is.

But a beat-em-up? There's too many variables. Is it a guy running around beating a bunch of people up with a varied moveset? Then are musou games beat-em-ups? What about the Yakuza games? Does it have to be 2d? If so I'd consider Full Metal Furies a beat-em-up and that game came out last year. Or does it not count because two of the characters use guns? If so then is the Alien vs Predator arcade game not a beat-em-up? What about character action games like Bayonetta and DMC?

If you argue that only games exactly like Final Fight beat for beat are beat-em-ups then that's like saying only games like Galaga are shmups. The genre has evolved and changed over the years but we still get plenty of new entries.

Attached: iu[1].jpg (1280x720, 172K)

We're literally getting Streets of Rage 4, a Ninja Warriors remake, and the new River City game looks fun. Beat em ups are slowly coming back.

Skip the cutscenes, bro.

The OP doesn't actually want to play any games, he just wants to whine and complain. If he gave a shit about vidya, he'd already know about the games you mentioned.

I forgot this was Yea Forums 80% of the threads are just roleplaying

With the remaining 20% of them being fishing for pictures to jerk off to

Wish some of them were roleplaying girls who'd like to have sex with me.

Attached: 1553089993872.png (822x802, 680K)

It's not battle royal and there's no crafting. Zoomers decide the market now.

>Beat-em-up battle royale
Am I gay if I think this might be cool?

Anarchy Reigns was cool as hell. It would do well today if they released it again. This time without sega fucking them over.

I started playing Dungeon Fighter Online, thought it would be more like that one rad monk gif but hey, a beat em up is fine too.

Attached: latest-13.png (1736x1761, 495K)

lets be real here, most beat em ups sucked ass.
i rather have few polished creative games than monthly generic trash.

Violent Storm is one of the good ones btw
youtube.com/watch?v=KQcf_bL8qF4

Attached: gilius_ctf.png (1772x1132, 549K)

I would argue the opposite! Beat'em-ups were very consistent in quality, and it was pretty rare that you'd get stinkers like Cyborg Justice.

One big problem with Dragon's Crown was that it used a Diablo style loot grind yet it locked away all of the fun equipment effects like turning the Dwarf's power smash lightning AOE into ice in the endgame Tower of Mirages. ToM is only in ultimate difficulty, so you have to get through normal, hard, and infernal to reach it. The average player is not going to stick around to get past all that shit to reach the good part.

Not at all.
Well, unless I'm also gay.

>Violent Storm-Ladies of the Night
by LuisChamat

why must you lie?

Attached: D4Zijl-W4AA5qKF.jpg (240x498, 21K)

I't very difficult to do good beatemups in 3D where attacks can happen in any direction. Not only it affects the balance, but ironically enough having North-South and East-West as two mechanically different directions offered much greater gameplay depth than a system where all directions are the same.

very simple and repetitive, yet oddly satisfying and really fun to play with a friend

more like "ladies" of the night because of the trannie change in localization

They got stuck in the 90's. Even today the enemies still are punks when we should be beating hipsters current society scum.

Also, the best classic beat em ups are 3D, Die Hard Arcade and Dynamite Cop, but those games are stuck in failed consoles.

>I't very difficult to do good beatemups in 3D where attacks can happen in any direction.
Dynamite Deka series and SpikeOut series exist and are amazing.
youtube.com/watch?v=bkVdJXolW_0
youtu.be/Tw1-nTw5Zhw
youtube.com/watch?v=54_aZGcgqAc
youtube.com/watch?v=AE-7Epc6sUo

Attached: Diehardarcade_sat_jp_frontcover.jpg (1400x1400, 896K)

>hipsters
>fighting
There has to be some sort of challenge, user.

>If you argue that only games exactly like Final Fight beat for beat are beat-em-ups
The ones who say this are latinos obsessed with their childhoods, usually Mexicans or, even worse, Brazilians.

About a month ago I pirated Transformer Devastation and it was a damn fine beat em up, but those poor souls can't accept something that is'nt like what they've been playing for decades on their Mega Drive, like in the GOOD OLD TIMES.

The nostalgia tards are the public for crap like Streets of Rage 4.

Attached: transformers devastation.webm (640x360, 2.96M)

OK, crazy landwhale feminists.

haha look at his little run

It's pretty funny, berating someone for being nostalgic while propping up Transformers Devastation.

I don't understand.

>hack'n slash =/= Beat'em up
I would even add that 2D and 3D Beat'em up are almost 2 different genre.

which one of the games he mentioned is a hack and slash?

>Comparing 3d character action games to beat'em'up while shitting on people for enjoying old school games
I fucking adore the entirety of Platinum Catalogue! It dosn't offer me the same experience as SoR or Final Fight though.

Devil May Cry 5

>t dosn't offer me the same experience as SoR or Final Fight though.
Thank God. Who the fuck wants to play the same thing for 3 decades?
And there's Dynamite Deka and SpikeOut, that offer a simpler experience, closer to Streets of Rage and are not only 3D but way better than SOR.

Platinum games are the natural evolution of the genre. You beat up guys, you got some nice combos and that's it.

The problem with character action games is that they’re pretty much exclusively single player.

I was hoping dmc5 would have a co op bloody palace mode but nope. The only good modern feeling beat em up with co op is Ninja Gaiden sigma 2. And I guess bayonetta 2 but I didn’t play much of that.

Attached: 9B414AA1-2DB6-4679-9208-9FDA56B93FC0.jpg (330x495, 43K)

Fight'n'Rage was a good and entertaining evolution of the SoR formula without going full 3d. I think there's a lot you can do in 2d that nobody's explored before, there's no reason to dismiss them all as "the same thing".

It's hard to do multiplayer with character action games because they pretty much all use lock-on. Unless you do split screen or online but that kind of goes against the spirit of the traditional co-op beat-em-up. It's why I have trouble including them in the same genre like so many other people do. For me Beat-em-ups were always multiplayer affairs, almost to the level of fighting games.

The spirit of beatemups sorta lived on in action games like Devil May Cry and Ninja Gaiden

as for the original sidescrolling genre itself, spritework became much more costly than 3D, but 3D beatemups all look and play like complete fucking garbage.

Even though beat 'em ups are still fun every now and then, I kinda feel like the whole genre got supplanted by cuhrayzee action games. What's the point of playing a beat 'em up when you can play a mechanically more complex game like DMC that's nearly infinitely more satisfying to learn and git gud at? Only thing those games don't have is co-op.

>I was hoping dmc5 would have a co op bloody palace mode but nope.
Damn, it doesn't? I hope it gets one in the SE. There's LOADS of potential there for one.

And Bayo 2's was fun while it lasted.

Also, Marvel: Ultimate Alliance 3 plays pretty much like a beat 'em up. It's telling how even though that game is pretty fun, that it's as shallow as it is, despite being more mechanically complex than a lot of old school games in the genre, that maybe a lot of those older games were way too fucking shallow to be enjoyable today.

>This, but then musou went to shit. Press one button, get 250 KOs. No one ever attacks you back. Enemy variety is zero since everything dies in one hit anyway.
Not that I know anything about the genre, but I've been told by a friend that Hyrule Warriors was alright despite this because the *actual* fights are against boss monsters and enemy hero characters.

this smells a bucnh of butthurt and projection, even ingoring the racism.

>transformers devastation
ok user.

>What went wrong?
The genre peaked.

Attached: lets-kick-shell-why-turtles-in-time-still-matters.jpg (1920x1080, 2.44M)

>natural evolution
you only think that because is 3D.

Holy fuck, I've been looking for a high rez of this that doesn't say hero, thank you.

Attached: 1563714369186.webm (226x252, 44K)

Hack n Slash are games like Diablo.
Fuck "ARPG"

PIZZA TIME!

>Hero
Why did Euros have to ruin everything. Never understood that.

There are tons of beat em ups coming out though? Just in 2019 I've beat Spiderman ps4, DMC5, Sekiro, Dragon's Crown, Yakuza 0, and Odin Sphere. All beat em ups.