youtube.com/watch?v=MzGGnd9a1MA
youtu.be/F8U5nxhxYf0
youtu.be/-2Wavf_LMjQ
youtu.be/mKwCfE-mm2k
youtu.be/zcaJxnocad8
twitter.com/NSFWRedditImage

Is the PC version still good to play on modern systems? Don't like emulators

BOF3 > BOF4

3 is the only great one in the series. 2 and 4 are decent. 5 isn't even a BoF game anymore.

4 has the best final boss and best final boss music

GET READY

Attached: BOF3Fishing.jpg (1280x720, 107K)

Fuck shisu.

Play Dragon Quarter you useless faggots

this pixel art looks amazing even if i have never played this game because it will most likely be super grindy

Why would it be super grindy?

The only thing this game has going for it are the graphics and music. I don't even remember the final boss or even the ending
¯\_(ツ)_/¯

git gud

Attached: MyriaIIIBoss_Sprite.gif (301x313, 205K)

3>5>4>2>1

better master too,

3 has the best bros.

Attached: rei bof3.jpg (210x240, 19K)

Posting this absolute madman's run of DQ, 1/4 in one playthrough, 3 hours, 15 minutes, including Kokon Horay

youtube.com/watch?v=PqLQ3xdeicM

Couldn't even imagine doing this myself, I'm playing the game right now and just made it to Central Ministry, am fucked because I can't buy traps anymore

its not i fact 3&4 are the least grindy in the series as in you can go through the whole game without ever grinding

Are they actually good?

3 is legit great. The others are marred by various problems.

oka zoom zoom, ima gonna be polite, just fight all the battles, yes, all of them, and don't run away, and you will be just fine with levels, also both 3 and 4 have mega xp exploits via enemies who power up and double xp every time they do, so just do that a few times and get 32x xp per battle.

I did.

Attached: Breath-of-Fire-6-Recruitable-races.jpg (975x676, 138K)

So is III, don't kid yourself.

>have a beast race in a game called breath of fire
>don't use the cat or winged race BoF is known for.

Kokon Horay is hard as fuck, I actually couldn't beat it. Impressive how this guy got all that shit done in 3 hours, since the ant mini-game itself was pretty slow, or perhaps I was too retarded.
About traps, I don't remember using them that much. If anything, the monkey girl carried me for most of the game thanks to her point-blank attack

III and IV are grindier than DQ is, unless you play the latter like a brainlet

3 doesn't suffer for things that non-stop get in the way.

For for example 4 is piss easy, has horrendous pacing thanks for these non-stop garbage mini-games, unfocused narrative, etc. that is a constant issue.

Really liked 3.
But some places where fucking annoying.
Like the dessert, escaping your cell in Wyndia.

Jesus Christ that looks horrifying.

>3 doesn't suffer for things that non-stop get in the way.
>What is Rhapala
>What is Desert of Death
>What is shishu
etc etc

2 3 and 4 are gud.
The rest is garbage.

>III and IV are grindier than DQ is, unless you play the latter like a brainlet
Flat out lie. DQ are built on grind.
In 8 to even beat Dhoulmagus without grind you have to be 100% on top of exactly everything you need up until that point with the absolute best shit you can find, buy and craft along with a good deal of luck.
This is downright impossible for a first-timer to do, because you would've needed to know tons of shit beforehand AND also know precisely how to go about it, which would require research and planning.

Stop lying when you're bullshit is crystal clear. You only make it clear that you don't even fucking play DQ.

95 % of that dude's battles have him using explosives of some sort. He literally buys over 100 proximity bombs and poison mushrooms in Topsector

1 is fine on the GBA and DQ is the best game in the series. Fuck off.

I was referring to Breath of Fire Dragon Quarter you fucking idiot

>You'll never have a bro like Rei

Attached: 1562507944782.jpg (882x960, 76K)

>4
>grindier than dq
>bof4 which is infamously piss easy

>What is Rhapala
You do know that you can beat this pretty much instantly by just helping Beyd during the fight, right? Only reason to linger and get him better shit is for you got get better rewards from it.
>What is Desert of Death
Something right near the end and isn't as convoluted as the plains of 4.
>What is shishu
I have replayed 3 several times and I don't even recall this being an issue.

Again, 4 is littered with NON-STOP issues from start to finish. You're grasping at straws.

Attached: 1438157209660.gif (320x240, 36K)

>DQ
1 i never played so not gonna contest that.
But DQ was hot garbage that marked the end of BOF

Friendly reminder there has never been a single good BoF game

This

I fucking love dragon quarter

My favorite rpg of all time

IV is grindier than DQ simply by having random encounters in the first place, whereas DQ does not.

And I actually do agree that III is a better game than IV, but it absolutely has its share of things that are unrelated to the main plot and exist solely to waste your time, just like IV does.

DQ is not flawless but its gameplay is far and away above the previous titles. You cannot argue against that.

>Retarded combat
>Some percentage keep in the whole game and if it fills up you die
>Constant dungeon crawling instead of world exploration
Who the fuck came up with this retarded shit.

Attached: 1553426455150.jpg (243x258, 18K)

>4 has the best final boss
Only in the Fou-Lu route.
God it felt so cathartic killing Scias and the bitches. Nina was a pain in the ass throughout the game, Scias and Ursula were just filler trash. Kinda felt bad for Ershin though.
As for the music, Myria's final boss music just clicks best with me I guess. Not to mention her animations and death cry still give me the chills.
>her face melts into a black hole to shoot lasers
>her belly pops opens to whip you with her entrails
What the actual FUCK

>DQ is not flawless but its gameplay is far and away above the previous titles. You cannot argue against that.

DQ is not a BoF game and it killed the series. It deserves 0 respect and praise.

>not an argument
>not a flaw
>not a flaw
Ball's still in your court hombre

Still not seeing any arguments
Judge the game for what it is and what it tries to do rather than whatever it is you wanted it to be.

>not an argument
How about it was nothing like a BOF game.
Its like Command and conquer and removing base building and supply points.

>it killed the series.
That's on Capcom. Even more so when they a fucking Gatcha for a dead series was a good idea.

>Still not seeing any arguments
No need when you didn't have any. You made a statement and pretended it was fact.

When are you going to talk about the actual game itself rather than how similar it is to the other games?

Because it is a fact. I-IV all have uninspired standard JRPG battle systems that require no effort from the player and the vast majority of encounters can be ended simply by choosing every character's attack command. DQ expects far more from the player, requires smart positioning, intelligent skill setups, knowing when and where to use resources, etc. It assumes your intelligence and has many more dimensions to it. Older Breath of Fire games simply can't compete with that, even if they are easier to get into.

>accuse people of not having any arguments
>asked for arguments himself since he made the original claim
>DURRR I DON'T NEED TO CUZ IT R FACT
And just like that no one takes you seriously anymore and will ignore you.

I'm not trying to knock the other games, dude, they have their appeal too. Hell, BoFII was actually my very first JRPG, and I loved playing it even if I don't have my cart anymore. But, I just don't see any way the other side of this case could be argued. If you think you can do it, feel free to try.

Yea just wanted a BOF flavor of a rpg game.
If i wanted to play a "intelligent" game kek

Ill play some DCS simulator or another rogue like or something.
But no some we got this try hard dungeon crawler that was nothing like a BOF.

>saying dq is garbage

How to spot a retard for dummies

Honestly, I couldn't get into the game for years, myself, noped out the first time I saw the D-counter. After looking past that, though and all the game's dreary environments, there's still a great game in there. It just has to be approached with a different mindset than the rest. I don't know how it compares to other dungeon crawlers or whatever though, I'm generally not interested in that type of game

As a BOF game its hot garbage that should be thrown in a pit and covered with concrete.

If it was a totally new franchise that would have been something different.

I mean, it's definitely different, but I wouldn't call it disrespectful in any way, it's not like 6. It keeps the core mechanics intact, has most of the appropriate homages, and even the story isn't too far from the kind of story III and IV tell. It just needed that fishing minigame, which it was going to have but it ended up being cut content

Why does Capcom sabotage all their IPs?

It's what happens when you pump out games yearly. One game sells badly, into the trash the franchise goes

Are you suggesting that the game would be better if it had different letters printed on the cover? I don't understand the rationale behind "it's a good game, but not a good x game" statements. If the next Street Fighter game was an excellent tactical RPG, then it would be a great game, end of story.

It's all in expectations. When you play BoF, you expect an easy, casual, simple JRPG. That's not what DQ was. It's still a turn based JRPG, but it's about as far removed from the previous games as you can get while still being a turn-based JRPG. Some people simply aren't fans of its style, and it's understandable that they'd be upset that they paid for something different than they're expecting

DQ is still a good game though and it's stupid to judge a game entirely on expectations because it's not having anything of substance to say, only DIFFERENT BAD. But some people just can't look past that.

What is the combat system like and how long is it?

Attached: 1553311512835.gif (246x208, 747K)

Why?

Combat system is like FFVI, but the Magicite affects more stats and also you can only have one copy of a skill in your entire party so all the characters don't end up being the exact same thing. They're about 40-60 hours long

None of the above applies to Dragon Quarter, which is about a 20 hour long game (and it has lots of replay value) with a combat system with free flowing movement where you can manipulate enemy AI and positioning via traps and skills and can chain combos together on a character's turn

Combat system is pretty typical of a jrpg except you always go in to battle with your full party. You have 3 characters in your front line and 3 in reserve. The front line takes and deals damage, you can swap the reserves back and forth at any turn. Magic can be combined for combos, altering the spells depending on what magics are used. Main character has different magic forms he can turn into with different abilities. The main character also ends up with a ha dful of dragon summons with different effects.

>implying anyone uses skills

>implying you didn't spam Shadowwwalk in III

Played III about an hour into adulthood, not sure what happened to my PSTV though and my game save was on it, so not sure if I'll ever get back those hours. I don't want to start all over again.

Attached: breathoffire-310052.jpg (1920x1080, 537K)

post your favorite tracks. god bof3/4 were amazing.
youtu.be/2nUpHVVE3Hw

Attached: BoFIVM1.jpg (1092x1622, 358K)

it's not even Breath of Fire. Mobile games should have to be put into a new category galled Psuedo Games.

She looks like the protagonist of an RPG maker hentai game. It's like the artist went overboard playing Arms Devicer when he designed her

Hmmm sounds like a boiler plate jrpg. Whats the hook here?

Attached: 1544755189538.jpg (1024x1009, 93K)

youtube.com/watch?v=MzGGnd9a1MA
Played III recently, this song was incredible

:^)

Attached: 57740.jpg (225x350, 35K)

Should I start with 3? Own a PSP so I can emulate

It's comfy.

Attached: Breath.of.Fire.IV .Utsurowazaru.Mono.full.543675.jpg (1250x750, 604K)

youtu.be/F8U5nxhxYf0

Main gimmick for each game is that the MC can turn into a dragon. How it works is different in each game. There's also a couple recurring minigames that develop over the course of the series, one has you building a town, there's another that involves fishing (which is surprisingly well developed in III and IV, could be a game in and of itself). Each party member also has some actions that they can use outside of battle for puzzles and such. The stories can be interesting as well, often not being about saving the world at all and more about finding out the identity of the protagonist and the lore behind the world

But yeah, if that's not enough to set it apart for you, play Dragon Quarter. DQ is an RPG that plays like a survival horror game.

I love Ursula!

Attached: ursula.webm (480x360, 208K)

>Ershin never attacks you for the whole fight
>You can heal them to prompt reactions from them
So good

>want to play 2 to support my friend who did the fan translation
>story is boring as hell
>battle system is generic as hell
at least he draws pretty good fetish art of Kat

Attached: 47-Breath_of_Fire_IV_01470.jpg (640x480, 33K)

Hm ok i shall try. I have it installed. On my psp and i guess it wont hurt to have a comfy, familiar jrpg that i can play in my bed.

>DQ is not a BoF game
DQ is very much a BoF game, arguably the very best too.
>and it killed the series
Capcom and people like you killed the series, not DQ.

Even though II's overall plot is generic, I think its in between stuff that you spend most of the game on is a lot better than III or IV. Most of II's scenarios focus on its characters, while most of III and IV's scenarios focus on traveling roadblocks.

The games are very, very loosely connected. For instance, 3 has quite a few nods to the original game and they even share the same final boss.. DQ is the only exception as it’s set so distantly from the rest of the series that it might as well be a standalone title.

The less said 6, the better. I’m amazed they even had the audacity to call it BoF 6.

Playing through the series right now.
Didn't complete the first one because he was too plain for me.
2nd game was ok at best, not in my top 10 SNES JRPGs.
Currently playing the third game and just got the lizard guy. Am I getting tricked ? The game is quite boring for now, as there isn't a really engaging plot and the gameplay isn't very deep either. It pales in comparison with most PS1 JRPGs, I'd rate Legend of Dragoon above it.
Should I continue ? My motivation is faltering.

>mfw everything related to Carronade
BoF always had darker moments in it but BoF4 is just batshit insane in that aspect.
Where's Makoto Ikehara now? I know he was working on Dragon's Dogma and it was pretty obvious judging by the themes.

Attached: 1539709710407.jpg (542x542, 25K)

Wait until you get through Angel Tower to make your decision. If you just got Garr, that should be your current objective and you only really have 2 more dungeons before you're there.

youtu.be/-2Wavf_LMjQ
youtu.be/mKwCfE-mm2k
youtu.be/zcaJxnocad8

>just got Garr
>there isn't a really engaging plot

oboy

>He didn't get absolute happiness from killing Balio and Sunder
You might just be emotionally retarded

That is one of the things about the game that bothered me. I feel like way too much of it revolves around Garr. At one point you can tell him that you're tired of his endlife crisis and don't really care about finding the answers to his questions, but he doesn't let you go through with it

UH, ALL THE NINA 1/3/4/5 PEOPLE OR NINAGGERS AS I LIKE TO CALL THEM, GET OFF THIS COMMUNITY BECAUSE IT'S FOR NINA 2 PEOPLE ONLY, UNDERSTAND? CAUSE IF YOU DON'T I WILL MAKE WYNDIANS SLAVES AGAIN!!!

Gets better once you get Rei back.

If anything, it gets worse since the game goes from having two ongoing plotlines to just one

Just compare the plot with the ones of other ps1 games like Koudelka, Vagrant story or Suikoden. Hell I don't even remember what the second game was about and I finished it last month.

>what's the hook here
Literally nothing. The only cool thing is that your whole party can participate in battles and leveling. Also, the graphics are basically the peak of 2D sprite work. The game is otherwise unremarkable. There are plenty of jrpgs from the same generation with better music, plot, characters, and battle systems. It's basically 6-7 across all aspects except graphics, which is an 8-9.

III and especially IV feel like they had a single really neat idea for the story, but couldn't figure out how to make it fill an entire game, so they just made up a bunch of random shit to arbitrarily block your path between plot developments to fill time

Feel free to skip to DQ, which, while being lighter on plot, never lets up with the pacing and actually tells a lot of its story through the gameplay, which is more deep and involved than the prior games anyway

Just because it doesn't get you right into the drama like Suikoden doesn't oesn't mean it's not an engaging plot. The beginning really makes you like Teepo and Rei and especially Rei makes a bunch of remarks you only understand later on. Then they get killed by the Rapehorses but Ryu doesn't believe that and sets out to Wyndia

it was so shitty it couldn't even sustain itself in nipland and they shut down their servers in 2017, a year after it released.

>bought this game a long time ago according to Yea Forums's recommendation
>turns out the previous game is apparently the only good entry in the series and the sole thing this one has going for it is being pure eye candy

Granted, I never continued playing past the first 30 minutes. My backlog is huge, and I feel like I don't have enough time to invest in a JRPG.

Attached: 1493253279670.jpg (960x758, 93K)

It's really the opposite, I think IV is the only bad game in the series even though its gameplay was better than any of the previous games simply because it wastes that on having most of the game just being your party dicking around and is only ever interesting the 5% of the time that Fou-Lu is onscreen

Nah. 4 is better. 3 takes 20 seconds just to transition out of battle, dont have the time for that shit.

Did anyone grab an image of what Ryu's dragon mode looked like in 6? I want to know if they made it look even more like Devil Trigger than IV and DQ

looks like they're normal dragons

Attached: l_55c2f85534c89.jpg (583x329, 71K)

Looks like one of those no-legged dragons, which I don't think the series did before. Hm, was wondering what they might go with if the series ever comes back and more confused than before

What was his fucking problem?

Attached: 1496378318769.jpg (480x360, 31K)

He should have sold his pitch offer better

>tfw no story of Myria "influencing" a young Teepo

I just want to know how he got all the way to Eden by himself

>dragon enemy in BoFII is named Ray
>dragon enemy in BoFIII is named Teepo and some random-ass cat is named Rei

I'm fucking mad

>Rei comes with you to find the secret of the weretiger powers
>you never find out because capcom thought programming in the shishu bullshit was more important
I'm much more mad about this desu

NPCs don't have random encounters, silly

How did he get across the ocean? Who taught him how to cross the desert of death? How did he even find out there was anything across the ocean? Why did he care when he was just some punk kid who made his money by pickpocketing people? He really needed to be in more than one scenario to explain any of this. Come to think of it, that's probably why they did Fou Lu the way they did in IV, but that ran into the problem of focusing too much on him and not giving the main party anything interesting to do

And then DQ gets it just right with Bosch, but the game is a marketing disaster and the casual audience can't into it, so the series dies

How did he even cross the ocean and the desert

>Mikba talks about his god
>Turns into a Deathevan demon
>Never brought up again

But 4 is so boring. How about a different one instead?

Okay. Play Breath of Fire I

I'm perfectly fine with that. I've replayed it a few times and it never bothered me. It's a bit basic but I still think it's fun.

I always thought that IV was kinda like a remake of I though, at least in terms of plot. It's just as boring.

>at least in terms of plot

huh?

Both games have you spend almost the entire playthrough looking for your sister/Nina's sister

Wrong.

For the newcomer:

5 IS NOT A GOOD GAME
ANY MENTION OF 5 BEING GOOD IS A JOKE THROWN AROUND BY BOF FANS
IT IS ACTUALLY A BLASPHEMY TO THE SERIES

Thank you.

Hahaha, no.

I find the cast more interesting though, even if it is in a simplistic sort of way. In 4 Fou-Lu, who's not even part of your party, is by far the most interesting character outside of learning about Ershin's backstory. Sure the cast of BoF is 1 dimensional but most of them get their own little arcs and have their fun archetypes.

Attached: 1543920715811.gif (500x289, 2.46M)

>play garbage
No

>cute long hair loli grow up into a short hair tomboy
Dropped the game when I found out and never looked back.

Attached: 1553943160894.gif (480x270, 1.67M)

Where did DQ touch you?

Game about dragon powers limits use of said powers by ENDING THE GAME if you use them too much.

I played it once, finished it. Not playing that shit again.

Yes, and? It's a resource management game, D-counter is a resource like any other. You have more than enough of it to get through the game. And yet here you are, acting as if you've beaten it. If you had, you'd know that it's much less of an issue than anyone talking about the game makes it out to be.

BoF 5 is my favorite
Ask me anything

Every hole, without consent

Holy fuck, almost missed a BoF on Yea Forums.

BoFIV best game.

Attached: 8107576_p0.jpg (1726x1600, 682K)

It was so bad, it effectively killed the series

It killed the series because it was too hard for casualfags despite having the best gameplay.

Okay, where do I access genuine versions of these games on PC? I can emulate, but I'd prefer to avoid it.

Why the fuck is there no collection for this series, Chrono bitches and Dragon Quest?

>I can emulate, but I'd prefer to avoid it.
Why?

Only Breath of Fire IV had an official pc port, though it will be a bitch to run.

Attached: e518e82d52cea3ef03c09af6d1dfd8ab.gif (320x240, 186K)

Why did no one care about Ershin's freedom?

Attached: BoFIV_ErshinArtwork.png (894x943, 858K)

I care.
>see Ershin for the first time
>absolutely love the design (rusted robotic characters and torn capes are my weakness) but worry he will be a dumb mascot character that feels pointless
>actually contributes greatly to the overall plot while still being ridiculous and kind of silly
Such a great character. I get every jrpg wants to have some sort of cute mascot character to market but so few do them remotely decent. Absolutely loved Ershin by the end, I loved everyone in BoFIV's main party.

Attached: 63943762_p2.png (800x794, 356K)