What could've been done different to make it a good game?

What could've been done different to make it a good game?

Attached: 1564413892758.jpg (640x640, 118K)

If they insist on going down that route, make it more like STALKER.

>Entire game world open from the start
>Don't design it around quest markers
>No essential NPCs, unless it's justified within the context of the game world
>Dialog system in the vein of Fallout 1, 2, and Arcanum
>Bring back perks and skills
>Non-linear gameplay solutions to quests
>Dynamic gameplay systems in the vein of the first two Fallout games
>Faction system like New Vegas

Not have it set in the Fallout universe in the first place, make a separate Bethesda Sci-Fi fantasy universe. It could actually be interesting with all the hidden magic and supernatural elements.
That way they get rid of all the constant complaining and attacks from the Fallout fans.

throw Todd in the oven

I already is a decent game. Make the cracting system a little more focused on sidegrades instead of having two penultimate upgrades and the rest being tiers to reach that. Remove the MC backstory and pretty much the whole main story, and go down a similar road to new vegas where you have a shitload of minor factions that the major factions are winning over. Remove synths entirely. Push the loot and shoot more towards a survival focus rather than having gamey shit like legendary enemies. No dialogue wheel and bring back skill checks, also hide said skill checks in regular dialogue. Despite its flaws it was still a good game

>Entire game world open from the start
It already is?

>Bring back perks
It has perks.

>Bring back perks and skills
It already perks, what it needed are skills and traits.

>better weapons (i.e fuck pipe "guns")
>no boring movieshit opening
>factions like NV
>settlement building system that works

De level the game, no more level ups or level lists. Also REAL quests, not the thinly veiled radiant quests with named characters.

invest in great writers rather than voice acting
don't care if they have to cut their world and game length in half if they could just do it well
i'd rather run through it with multi characters and have many different experiences with depth and layers to the story and characters rather than bland shallow breadth

beth games are becoming 1d when rpgs are ment to be played in 3d and 4d space when it comes to player agency

Attached: 4d-printing-1.jpg (600x470, 31K)

>Remove voiced protag
>FNV level system
>Non linear main quest
>Power armors are doomsday weapons that require training and are hard to obtain/build
>The world reacts towards your decisions/equipment/followers
>You control a random settler exploring a recently open "dead zone"
>You can take full control of the settlement decisions or let another NPC handle that aspect
>Settlement system is basically Banished
>Each faction have their own agenda
>You can create your own faction
>Trade routes affect the world, increasing criminal activity, hostile creatures, etc
>farms attract insects
>Cattle attract super mutants, deathclaws, etc
>Mutants can be recruited
>Wasteland can be rebuild
>Other settlements might take hostile action
>Raiders are also a unique faction
>Location damage. each location affect the behavior of the NPC
>Enemies can be persuade into giving up combat or joining you
>Working stairs
>No closed cell locations, everything load dynamically
>No "legendary" weapons
>Only important NPCs have fully voiced dialog

This. Literally the only thing "wrong" with FO4 is that the writing and story were simplified, probably to accommodate the player voice acting. It's a trade-off that most Fallout fans are clearly not willing to make, myself included. Other than that, I thought FO4 was great
>Shooting, while not perfect, is the best that it has ever been in Fallout
>Tons of customization - weapon mods, armor mods, Power Armor mods, settlement building, etc.
>Good companions
>Decently sized world with a good variety of locations
It was a fun game to play, but for an entry in a well-known RPG series, the writing, plot, and RPG mechanics were lacking.

Go play Borderlands of Far Cry, zoomer. They do everything Fallout 4 did better.

I don't like Borderlands and Far Cry bears little resemblance to Fallout other than that both are open-world shooters. I don't know what point you're trying to make. I'm not saying that Fallout 4 was perfect, but the shooting, customization options, etc. were all improved

Are you new here? In every remotely Fallout related thread there's an obscene number of posts accusing anyone and everyone of being a zoomer.

Dropping the whole Shaun/Pre-War plot for a start. There was potential with the institute and synths, but the institute is underdeveloped and Beth pretty much expects you to sympathize with synths right out the gate.

Attached: 1539276804174.png (363x450, 307K)

Do you buy something?

Attached: D2812813-5A47-4C9C-A513-8B1CB0DE28BE.jpg (1280x720, 143K)

They could have made it a bad game that then you would say is a good game when it gets rated low.

Fucking childish contrarian idiocy at the finest.

Depends on how much you'd be allowed to change before it just becomes "Make it good by making a completely different game".
But in order I'd go with:
>No voiced protagonist
Now you have a lot more freedom to add lines of dialogue and by extension the NPC interaction hopefully become less dull
>Old Skill/Perk system
Now it's actually starting to look like an RPG
>Do something about the main quest
You could still keep the same conflict, but make it more about the world and less about the player character, now you got more player freedom and replayability because you can create two characters who don't feel exactly the same.
Now we got the main aspects of the game down, so just improve upon them. Do this stuff , fix all the plot holes and hire some writers who give a shit about the Fallout lore.
The world-space itself was actually pretty good so leave that. The crafting and settlement building was alright too, though I'd happily ditch those, for more weapon variety.
And one last minor nitpick, don't hand the player Power Armor for free from the start. Sure getting a rusty suit and improving it over course of the game is a neat idea, but at least make it optional and make me like I earned it.

Attached: tumblr_nfif41rOwg1t7b5qro1_540.jpg (540x720, 207K)

more interesting quest design
more dialogue options
skills, traits
no essential npcs
good writing

Again, do you have a point or are you just shitposting for the fun of it?

What do you mean "again"? I'm not the user who told you to go play Far Cry and Borderlands.

>Don't remove skills
>Gut the entire town building feature
>Remove the voiced protagonist and use a dialog tree
>Fire the entire writing team and change them for someone who doesn't self-parody for a living
>If Todd really wanted to make a Pre-War Fallout, make a game about that instead of an obnoxious 15 minute opening

>Tons of customization
While this is true, I still preferred the New Vegas system of fewer customization option but way more weapons.
Fallout 4 barely had any weapon variety and a big part of the customization was just linear upgrades and you'd end up with the best parts sooner or later.
Also heavy weapons and melee weapons barely even had any customization options.

The dialog sucked, the factions were a shitty version of NV's factions, and only one DLC was good.

Other than that this shit is the best Fallout game since Bethesda got the rights to the series. Y'all bitch too much

I loved seeing what the world was like before the war, but I'd happily ditch that if it meant FO4 was a better game with player characters that weren't all just the same dude with a different haircut.
>the institute is underdeveloped
Not only that, their motivations straight up make no sense.

tldr: has nothing that made previous fallout games good, but I can shoot!

>the best Fallout game since Bethesda got the rights to the series.

Attached: FNV_Box_Art_PC.jpg (800x1135, 195K)

The Railroad were the most stupid faction in any game I’ve played.

Have it made by anyone but Bethesda, make ita whole new game in the west coast.
Dont have anything from Fallout 4 at all.

>The Railroad were the most stupid faction in any game I’ve played.

It's not even the most stupid faction in it's own game

What did NV do better than 4 aside from dialogue and plot? The shooting was worse and the survival mode wasn't as developed.

Where would they go from NV, though? I'd rather see a Fallout game in the deep south.

I'm convinced half ot the new vegas hivemind shills havent even played it and just pretend to like it to spite bethesda

Attached: Fallout New Vegas in one picture.jpg (998x604, 253K)

Hire writers.

Attached: 20190729_175419.jpg (3264x2448, 1.5M)

Still better than praising anything Bethesda made since Morrowind or, even worse, giving them your money. That company deserves every bit of criticism it gets, and some more.

Or you just have astonishingly shit taste.

Nigga don't put question marks in your sentences unless they're questions
I get what you're trying to do but it's gay as hell everytime not matter what
Stop

Attached: 146886483683.jpg (960x960, 69K)

I'm the supreme poster user that's simply out of the question

I think Fallout 4 is a good game, it just works

Attached: nogood.jpg (720x852, 95K)

no dialogue wheel
get rid of the shitty pipe weapons
better factions
outsource the game to Obsidian

New Vegas ain’t shit dude. Get over yourself.

Have you seen Obsidian's newest game? If Bethesda and Obsidian work together from the ground up they can build a mostly complete game

I used to hate New Vegas, precisely because of the hivemind shills.
It'S actually pretty good though, especially considering the limited time they had to make it.

FO4 is a good game. Not a great game, but a good game. Just because it doesnt autistically follow every lore detail from the 30 year old game you worship with rose-tinted glasses doesnt make it bad. Grow up, boomers.

Better factions that had actual and realistic goals.

The Institute was just insulting. They literally won't tell you why they kidnap people because you won't understand. This was a major overworld point about the game too, people were afraid of being kidnapped. Just pure lazy writing.

The Brotherhood of Steels engame was dumb. Why did they destroy the institute if one of their main goals is capturing technology? They could have just killed all the institutes inhabitants and kept the structure and all its tech (including a fucking teleporter) and used it as a base or some sort of hub. They didn't have to produce any synths.

The minutemen were just clowns from the start. They're only there if the player has a huge ego and wants to control everything themselves. You're supposedly a general but you can't give any orders to anyone, you only take orders. If you could actually manage your soldiers around this would have been a kickass faction.

The only people that chose the railroad were people trying to get the achievements. That's it. There is no reason why anyone would pick this faction. They felt entirely rushed and unfinished. It would have been cool if there was some twist involved with them. You would get a good deal through their story arch before learning they weren't trying to save synths, but just gain access to the institute to take it over for themselves.

Just more bad writing from bethesda all around desu. Can't wait to see them drive another nail in the coffin in the next elder scrolls.

>It's not even the most stupid faction in it's own game.
Then who is?

delete everything and start over

It's a great game, all they really would have needed to do to make it perfect was to fire Emil and improve the dialog system.

Maybe it was a decent game if, but it sure as hell was a god-awefull Fallout

>entire game world open from the start?
I never playes 4, is it really not?

I'm curious about what he meant by this aswell.
After a short tutorial quest you're free to go wherever.
I especially liked how the 2nd or 3rd main quest sends you to a town all the way across the map, so you're encouraged to explore to your hearts content on the way there

LEVEL SCALING IS SHIT
ITS SHIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIT

I worded that poorly. I don't like how railroaded the introductory segment of the game is. 3 and NV are also very guilty of this to, mind you. I want it like Fallout 1 and 2, where you are quite literally free to go anywhere as soon as the game starts (with the caveat that you have to do the Temple of Trials in 2). These long, linear introductory segments in the modern Fallout games really put a damper on replays.

actual skill checks
but then they'd have needed to drop the voiced protag
also drop the whole gay baby grown up into mad scientist without any real goals narrative

it was really cool hearing the robot say my name since it's not common Nico

It would be nice to bring back either the realistic weaponry from New Vegas or the iconic stylized ones from 3. The combat and assault rifles in 4 are too big and look like they're made of legos. Fuck pipe weapons.

Attached: Gmod 29.jpg (1280x720, 253K)

Ah that makes sense. On that note I'd also like something I really like about New Vegas's main quest compared to 3,4 or Skyrim for instance.
I don't see anyone ever mentioning this, but NV's main quest felt much less "urgent". In the other games, whenever you decide to do a sidequests, it pulls you out of the immersion. You were told to go to the next quest marker as soon as you can, or all is lost and here you are fetching some item for a random guy on the street.
New Vegas on the other hand had section where sidequests where encouraged (Do sidequests in Freeside, until you can get into New Vegas proper) or even explicitly part of the main quest (getting to know the minor factions).
I never noticed it until recently, but it makes such a huge difference

I'm not even memeing but this kind of thinking it's at the core of what's ruining bidya

One sign of hope.
Not one post wanting survival mode back.Fallout 76 has effectively killed off that nonsense. So that is one good thing that came out of 76. Let's hope Bethesda is a learning animal like Yea Forums

this
it's the
>it's not great but it isn't as bad as people say
sort of apathy that allows these developers to get away with so much shit

>change the entire story
>silent protag with more dialog choices
>actual dialog box with the text
>hire better writers and quest designers
>keep the companions but give them better arcs alongisde their quests
>improve the faction system
>give me more ways to express myself in the world

Honestly if I could change just one thing it would be the quests, the whole story feels so generic and like it wasn't written with the GAME in mind.
I mean, how the fuck am I allowed to play as a lawyer but there's never a quest where I can defend someone in a trial? It's that type of shit

Attached: 1560195023093.png (472x576, 274K)

Cousin, let's go bowling!

>tfw have heard that joke a million times since 2008
I just go along with it now since I do an ok impression
>But Roman, we already saw American titties today

Whats this picture supposed to mean

Everything, basically.
The dialogue system was awful and forced 4 options at any given time clearly didn't work.
The settlement system was barebones and a total waste of time
Protagonist is invested in something the player isn't (muh shaun and muh wife)
Poor weapon and armor variety.
Many locations that had promise but fell flat due to laziness, incompetence, limited time or all of them combined (robot race track, boxing arena, that haunted museum)
Shit engine/technology. Loading screens were obnoxiously long. Very ugly character models and piss poor facial animations.
Nonsensical world design (super mutants living right next to raiders, for example)
Not a single truly large settlement to immerse yourself in
Lore retconning

I could go on but cba.

They need to design the games for PC first and foremost. The consolization has caused the interactivity and scope of the games to suffer considerably, the abhorrent dialogue system of 4 being the most obvious culmination.

The old dialogue system worked fine on console.

Cha/dialogue checks need to be something more than "more caps, please"

more importantly, not just speech/charisma checks.
I can't think of any science, repair, sneak, explosives, or even medicine related skill checks in fo4

You have to have skills before you can have skill checks.

Remove romance

I still think making the wife canonically a lawyer and not whatever the Fallout equivalent of a WAC officer is was a mistake.

My internet to access r/modpiracy

>aside from dialogue and plot?
you're saying this like it's a small thing. its not. HATE NEWSPAPERS completely kills the game for me

It might not be a common complaint but I thought there was too much action. 3 had the same problem- once you're in the city, there's a super mutant or raider mini-dungeon every ten feet and it makes exploring a real pain.
NV didn't have much between "a few crackheads guarding a first aid box" and "frontal assault on a military base" but in general, exploration was a lot more comfy without the dread of another shootout 30 seconds after the last one- especially since 4 wanted to be an FPS and put more emphasis on long cover-based fights instead of RPG strategics.