Sega Saturn already sold like shit

>Sega Saturn already sold like shit
>released it way to early when people still had the ps1 and n64

Why do people blame the ps2 for the dreamcast's failure to sell?

Attached: capture.0.jpg (1200x800, 71K)

well, it kinda stopped even other systems from selling as well

dreamcast may be the worst of the lot but can't claim anyone else did much better

Attached: ps2.gif (650x366, 2.58M)

I'm gonna be honest here.

The dreamcast didn't sell because it didn't offer any exclusives consumers wanted at the time.

PS2 had an insane library, the gamecube had gems and xbox had Halo. What did the dc have? Nothing worth owning the console for. The only thing worth keeping a DC for was MvC2.

Sonic Adventure 1 and 2

This. Dreamcast had a bunch of arcade ports

Good games, but not really worth buying a console for. They're the kind of games I would play every so often, but not all the time.

They're no Mario Sunshine, Halo 2 or Jak and Daxter.

From what I remember, the Dreamcast sold really well at first. It was PS2's reveal that had sales taper off.

>Good games, but not really worth buying a console for.
It's subjective. Sonic fans hyped the fuck out of that game in the months before it released.
I played a demo at a mall kiosk before it released and wasn't too impressed.

>arcade ports like soul calibur and crazy taxi are bad
Jesus christ Yea Forums really has gone down the shitter

Sonic was always the selling point for me, problem with the Dreamcast is that's all it really had, it was the same problem the Saturn had but with actually having mainline Sonic games this time around. Xbox PS2, and GCN were definitely better.

why would i buy a system when the majority of your titles are aracade ports?

It's outdated information we all assumed at the time. Years later we know the Dreamcast sold very well for its short lifespan and games were moving, it simply was a doomed to fail situation. SEGA had bled so much money on Saturn/32x/CD and other flops that no matter how successful Dreamcast was it wouldn't be enough to put them into black. It had a three year lifespan and sold half as well as Gamecube and Xbox that ran 6+ year lifespans.

No one was gonna beat out PS2 though, but the name of the game isn't always winning but sometimes not dying and maintaining brand power (Which SEGA might've used Dreamcast for hoping in a hail mary at least their properties remain viable when they switch to third party).

Dreamcast didn't ever really compete with Gamecube or Xbox, it was pretty much dead before those hit shelves. DC was seen as the next big powerful console during holiday season '99, but already struggled against the well established N64/PS1 libraries. Once the PS2 dropped with clearly superior specs and an already huge backwards compatible library (not to mention that it could play DVDs, which was HUGE at the time) there was no coming back.

>They're no Mario Sunshine, Halo 2 or Jak and Daxter.

3D Sonic in 1999 was a much bigger deal than Jak and Daxter ever was.

t. someone who doesn't enjoy 3D Sonic games and own the first Jak games.

Different times. Other consoles at the time wouldn't have been able to run games like Soul Calibur or Crazy Taxi.

>Can't play DVDs
This is why it died, it was still just a toy for kids in the eyes of the public. The PS2 and Xbox were real replacements for DVD players and VCRs. Gamecube coasted by on brand recognition and killer exclusives which Sega didn't have the luxury of

xbox needed an add-on to play DVDs, hardly anyone used it for that

similar issue with 360 and hd-dvd which certainly didn't help that medium take off

>GameCube doesn't have Soul Calibur

Man I just completed Shenmue 1 and 2, what a ride, amazing games, even if the plot is generic anime it still holds up pretty well. GTA mini games has nothing against the Forklift mini game, can't believe something that seems so tedious be joyful with great controls and game design.

But I can see why people weren’t that interested in those games (Shenmue, Space Channel 5, Seaman, Jet Set Radio, Samba de Amigo, Fez,), revolutionary games but niche to what the mainstream was consuming back then, but at the same time casual instead of hardcore (Not catering to their old fanbase). Kinda funny that sega went with a risky approach instead of playing it safe with the Dreamcast. They even told EA to fuck off.

Attached: Shenmue-04.jpg (1920x1080, 599K)

>at the time
Gamecube was two years later.

>Shenmue
I've been putting off playing this due to the time limit.
How forgiving is it?

Attached: 1557359227926.jpg (656x666, 54K)

The Sega Saturn didn't sell like shit in Japan though. It only sold like shit in the US because the US branch of Sega were a bunch of fucking incompetent retards.

My family had a dream cast but no one ever played the thing because it didn't have any games.

And when Xbox and PS2 came out you could pretty much play better versions of anything on dreamcast on them so what was the point?

The Dreamcast was based because of how trivially easy it was to pirate games for it.

SEGA of Japan was braindead but SoA manageed to even be more retarded by cooking up the SEGA 32x

The US branch of Sega were only a bunch of fucking incompetent retards because SoJ told all their good hires to go fuck themselves after the US money started coming in
Tom Kalinske secured not only the chip set that became the N64 for Sega's use but also the one that became the PS1 and SoJ TURNED BOTH DOWN FOR THE SATURN

>The dreamcast didn't sell because it didn't offer any exclusives consumers wanted at the time.

That's not entirely true. The DC had an extensive list of exclusives that were utilized for other consoles and platforms (unfortunately most of them like the Sega Saturn were kept only within Japan):

Sonic Adventure 1 & 2 (that was re-released on the GC)
Soul Calibur 1 (It was originally an exclusive for the DC until it was re-released on XBOX Live and PSN Store around 10 years later)
Space Channel 5 and Part 2 (the sequel was only released to the West on PS2 and Steam)
Crazy Taxi 1 & 2 (which was ported to the XBOX and GC)
Virtua Fighter 3
Jet Set Radio (Re-released on Steam)
Metropolis Street Racer
PowerStone 1 & 2 (temporary exclusives for the DC until it was re-released on the PSVita)
Phantasy Star Online
Street Fighter 3: Double Impact and Third Strike
MVC 1 & 2
Capcom vs. SNK 1 & 2 (re-released on GC, PS2, XBOX)
Skies of Arcadia (re-released on the GC)
Shenmue 1 & 2 (ported to the original XBOX and Steam)
Samba de Amigo
Ecco the Dolphin: Defender of the Future (re-released on the PS2)
Ikaruga (re-released on the GC)
D2
Maken X (re-released on the PS2)
Outtrigger
Project Justice
Psychic Force 2012
Virtua Tennis 1 & 2
Fighting Vipers 2

Attached: flyer_cvs2.jpg (630x810, 88K)

It doesnt.

Your "logic" makes zero fucking sense considering it sold well at launch and only stopped selling once ps2 was getting near to its launch.

Possibly the single dumbest post on Yea Forums today which is impressive for two reasons: one you could have googled DC exclusives which you clearly have no clue about and you would found you were wrong within five seconds, two there's a lot of really dumb posts on Yea Forums so you really dazzled by pulling that shit out of your ass

You play as 1940's era tank disguised as a human, chugging in a straight, unmovable line down the streets and alleyways of 1980's Japan searching for sailors.

The Dreamcast was a really big deal when it first launched. I think it still holds the record for fastest selling console at launch. It died off once the PS2 was announced. Sony cemented their dominance in the console market at that point.

>blaming SoA
Nah, SoJ was mad racist and did not want to hear any western ideas.

On that note, Eternal Champions > Virtua Fighter, there I said it, you would have to be both retarded and a shot caller in SoJ to think any differently

Attached: eternal champions.jpg (480x360, 28K)

Anecdotal, but as a teenager back then, every single person I spoke to refused to buy one because they were waiting for the PS2. It was just me and one of my mates who had one.

Incorrect, it was selling well enough in the states when sega of japan killed it.

>From what I remember, the Dreamcast sold really well at first. It was PS2's reveal that had sales taper off.
You're right.

For a time a perfect arcade port was like a holy grail for a console. The Dreamcast came along right at the very end of that mentality though.

The time limit isn't a huge deal. You'd basically have to fuck up a lot to fall foul of it, and frankly, there isn't enough of interest to do in Shenmue for it to be a problem.

>Xbox that ran 6+ year lifespan.
I was with you until that point, microsoft killed the OG xbox after less than 4 years and completely dropped support when the 360 came out.

Depending how much you play, you can save a lot of quarters.

>Why do people blame the ps2 for the dreamcast's failure to sell?

The guy behind the counter literally told me to wait for the ps2 as I was purchasing my dreamcast on launch day, how many other shops were doing the same?

Didn't even knew there was a time limit and I played it slow

Did you emulate? I can't remember if the game mentions it, but in the manual it says you need to be done by the time the cherry blossoms fall.

Played the new HD release

You have no clue what you're talking about.

I don't agree that piracy was the reason it killed dreamcast. It might have helped a little but both PS1 and Saturn were trivial to crack too.