Will dungeon crawlers make a comeback?

Will dungeon crawlers make a comeback?

Attached: eridanus.jpg (640x564, 309K)

Other urls found in this thread:

youtube.com/watch?v=i0T_zIR9m60
eskimo.com/~edv/lockscroll/WhereAreWe/
youtube.com/watch?v=0t4aKJuKP0Q
twitter.com/SFWRedditImages

I’ve been playing Persona Q2 which is a persona theme spinoff of Etrian Odyssey which has like 10 games at least so I’m thinking they already have?

youtube.com/watch?v=i0T_zIR9m60

When Next Stage Etrian Odyssey comes out

Any moment now they'll announce more details.
Any day now, just like with SMTV.

My issue with dungeon crawlers is that the dungeons look so fucking boring.
Why don't make them a bit more varied? im sure they can insert decorations with the random dungeon generator.

Random dungeon generator?
A good dungeon crawler doesn't have random dungeons. You're thinking of roguelikes.

They already had their comeback this decade. At least in the ecchi and H-game sector

WHat came out this year? I'm almost done with persona Q2 and need something new before I resort to something like pirating Might and Magic X.

Dungeon Crawlers will never "come back", but they'll never die. We got a bunch of them released just recently and they're doing fairly well. But the high degree of competency required to map and complete them is too much for a general audience.

Also while I'm here, I've been playing around with Grid Cartographer and playing Wizardry with it. It's interesting it has an auto-tracking feature, but I feel that doesn't capture the experience, so I'm probably going to turn that off next time I fire it up.

Like what? I can't recall any unless you're talking about rpg maker tier games.

Best way to play old dungeon crawlers.

eskimo.com/~edv/lockscroll/WhereAreWe/

This is why I regret using the auto map functions in the earlier SMT games. It feels like they defeat the purpose of the genre. Next time I will try drawing a map on my own.

I'm still using the program, but now I'm just doing it because I've moved away from pen and paper as much as possible. The program lets you manually draw in the maps, so I'm just going to have it open and play while I still manually track my position and map. It seems like it's going to be great for that.

But yeah, I get what you mean. I had auto-tracker set on just to try it out, and I spoiled some of the teleportation and wrap-around gimmicks of the first floor when I wish I hadn't.

>unless you're talking about rpg maker tier games.
kinda, yes. Omega Labyrinth, Dungeon Travelers, Sakura Dungeon, and stuff on dlsite

>Next time I will try drawing a map on my own.
I should try to do that too. The most fun I ever had with a dungeon crawler was the only one that didn't have a mini map (Lightning Warrior Raidy)
By constantly looking at the map I never learn to orient myself

I really don't see how they're going to make EO work without the dual screens.
I can only imagine it's going to be a watered down experience.

What's the point of the dungeon crawler being in first person? can't you accomplish the same thing with a third person perspective

You can only see in front of you and have to adjust to that.
When you map shit you need to understand what cardinal direction you're looking at.
More immersive that way.
Don't have to show the many combinations of team members you bring with you, saves dev time and money.

Many reasons.

Sakura Dungeon was surprisingly fun until I realized how grindy it is. A little less quantity and it would have been a good game.

the new smt games don't show your party

Second screen is your phone

Don't you guys have phones?

too much thinking for this generation of hand-held retards

Where's EO and SMTV? What the FUCK are you doing Atlus?

>tfw no video game with 4D mazes

Attached: Tales_from_Demonac's_D&D_campaign.png (500x250, 84K)

do you know any good ones with 3d mazes? Most I know are only 2d

Recently got around to playing Megami Tensei 1, really loved it, especially the whole layout of the game being one long dungeon and the gameplay loop of venturing out of, picking some direction, exploring until you determine your resources (healing items and mp) demand that you turn back now, go back and heal and maybe buy shit and repeat, with being a little stronger every time you venture out again, slowly completing the map until you find the next "village" area, and push on into the unknown again
Shit was pretty magical
I really liked how it never felt like there was some "outside" you could retreat to or a permanent base of operations you would always return to, all the villages were just temporary pit stops
Is there any other dungeon crawler that does something similar
The following Megaten titles, while good in their own right, didn't continue this style with the introduction of the overworld

Thought about making an aquatic game that worked that way.

I guess you can count the airships in etrian oddysey.

>tfw will never get to explore this
it hurts bros

Attached: 1548033437577.png (1574x1794, 557K)

What kind of grindy?I'm interested on buying or pirated it before.

>A good dungeon crawler doesn't have random dungeons.
You're right, and in that case user's point applies even more so.

How the fuck does that work?

But he doesn't really have a point, only that he personally finds the dungeons visually boring

It has gameplay implications, though, given that one of the main points of dungeon design is the maze. It's supposed to be hard to orient yourself. And while you can forgive early blobbers, it starts to feel like cheating to have every wall look the same and force players to rely ONLY on spatial awareness or pencil-and-paper mapping to find their way.

This is that sector from Strange journey r-right ?

Sector E AKA casual filter.

I don't think it's that grindy if you explore every corner of every level yourself.
Also, there are 3 difficulty setting (Normal, Hard, Abyss) and someone correct me if I'm wrong, but IIRC there's no extra content for higher difficulties. Only that on Normal difficulty your clothes get automatically repaired, which is bad if you like to see your characters naked.

First, try to familiarize yourself with 4 dimensional objects :
youtube.com/watch?v=0t4aKJuKP0Q
Have fun.

How long is the game if I map out every corner of map and get all cg?

Is Megami Tensei the one that got recently translated?

up to 30 hours if you play manually, I guess.
There's an auto-battle option that lets the game play itself which makes it faster.

>blocks your path
>makes you run out of map icons

Attached: 27.png (1000x562, 46K)

Hidden passages were created by Satan!

>Hey player, make sure to turn left and right at every step you take and try to walk through every wall.
>but don't worry here's a special flashlight that makes hidden passages visible
>BUT
>there are some passages for which the flashlight doesn't work, so you better make sure to bump into every wall either way

Attached: maxresdefault.jpg (1280x720, 138K)

How is that demon chris game user?

Nah, that was SMT If

I mean, if they are optional and don't have anything that you need to progress then I don't see the problem.

>the last SMT was two years ago
>the last EO was last year
>this will be the first console SMT in over 15 years and first console EO ever
I'd rather they take their time than rush out a half-assed piece of shit.

I'm playing through a backlog of crawlers because standard JRPGs like DQ are too söj for my liking
fun game

Attached: 1084 - Etrian Odyssey (U)(XenoPhobia)__6582.png (255x190, 8K)

4A is 3 years old if you count the Jap release