There are people on this board who defend this trainwreck simply because it's old now and not 'nudoom'

>there are people on this board who defend this trainwreck simply because it's old now and not 'nudoom'

Attached: Doom3box.jpg (283x352, 23K)

Other urls found in this thread:

youtu.be/1IE1NmyrbWA
youtu.be/NRK9PWK8Jhw
doom64ex.wordpress.com/
vimm.net/vault/2578
youtube.com/watch?v=0b68TgGLMWo&t=1m35s
youtube.com/watch?v=nvrqc5HmIdg
mobile.twitter.com/noteinso/status/1154809291641151488
youtube.com/watch?v=DYztmoSdYFE
twitter.com/superactionfunb/status/1072350214827245568
pcgamesn.com/doom-eternal/doom-eternal-mods
moddb.com/mods/perfected-doom-3-version-500
youtube.com/watch?v=IapOdKQDOWI
youtu.be/5uH72d4tdlQ
twitter.com/SFWRedditGifs

Same with Far Cry 2, GTAIV, and MGS4. It was their first one as a preteen.

I mean I always liked it as its own thing and the hell levels are very enjoyable.

I still find it to be the most enjoyable Doom I've ever played. Nu-Doom is great, but I don't feel like replaying it, unlike Doom 3. Shame that the switch port is a BFG Edition with strapped-on flashlight.

I will say though the first few hours are a slog because of the cramped hallways and the annoying shit they pull like Imps spawning behind you while three more spawn from the front.

>levels
ok, I know there was an expansion pack, but still, major disappointment when playing through the original game.

I didn't play Doom until a few years ago (First person games gave me headaches before I got medicine) but I remember Doom 3 being a laughing stock when it came out. I can't imagine changing opinions are anything other than nostalgia.

I only said levels because of how the parts of the base are broken up into chunks.

>unironically complaining about the fact that you don't have to switch between your flashlight and weapon anymore

>MGS4
I really pity people who grew up with just a PS3

The game has encounters designed with that in mind damn it, having it strapped on ruins any suspension.

Yeah, it removed a great deal of tension, which Doom 3 was all about.

Old good new bad, don't'cha know.

>it was a piece of shit, but it was OUR piece of shit

I really liked it, even at the time. Very comfy. I don't like the new nonstop action zoomer style. To be fair I haven't tried nudoom despite owning it. I just don't see the appeal of nonstop action like an adhd spastic

>encounters designed with that
like what? the weak jumpscares?
shooting in the dark is not immersive you faggot

New doom at least follows the old design philosophy. Idk what the main complaints with it arel, I’ve been playing both doom 1 and 2 and 2016 so it’s definitely not like they’re all that different design wise. 3 on the other hand can suck my cock and balls

Play the Doom 3 VR mod, it's actually pretty good.

>shooting in the dark is not immersive you faggot
Where have I mentioned immersion, dum-dum?

I enjoyed this game and if I remember correctly so did everyone else at the time. Granted it's very different from every other Doom game. It's probably my favorite Doom game.

its still a good game with great interactive elements as far as story telling goes. the computer mechanics felt very fresh even after playing just a couple years ago

remove
>retarded shotgun spread, pic related is POINT BLANK
>90 degree sway after taking 1 hp of damage
>armor having 15% absorption rate
and you've fixed 90% of this game's problems

Attached: file.png (564x376, 229K)

Doom 3 doesn't really belong in the same class as those other 3 games. Doom 3 was made fun of by fans and most magazines when it came out.
It's such a mediocre game that it can't even be considered divisive.

Armor is the biggest piece of dogshit in the game, everything else can be overlooked but god damn if it isn't fucking stupid to be at 30 hp with 100 armor.

atmosphere was great.

Just bought it it's fun so far

>demons are mostly harmless barring the hell knight since you can just strafejump past most of them and they dont do any damage at all assuming one of their slow ass projectiles hit you
>the shotgunners that can instagib you at any range despite using the same shotgun that cant hit the broad side of a barn
>they made the fucking chaingunners even more retarded to deal with

Attached: 1526421986935.png (1201x884, 2.39M)

Doom 3 was great, I bought the expansion pack as well.

Isn't Doom 3 first and foremost specifically a horror game?

Doom 3 is basically the Doom Bible filtered through the "pots and pans and wailing children" horror prism of Doom 64.

I enjoyed it but I like nuDoom better.

The more i read your post, the less i understand.

Yeah I am replaying the game now and the shotgunners and machine gunners are already annoying the fuck out of me.

Many of Doom 3's design ideas come directly from Tom Hall's Doom Bible design document. The monorail, the usable computer terminals, etc. And the horror vibe and non-musical soundtrack take strongly after Doom 64. If you haven't played Doom 64, it is the canon sequel to Doom 2, and prequel to Doom 2016, and is strongly horror themed. The soundtrack is all grinding and wailing and hellish noises.

youtu.be/1IE1NmyrbWA

This is likely where Doom 3 got its idea to have an ambient soundtrack of environmental noises.

Is there any chance of us getting Doom 64 on PC or PS4? This looks so fucking cool. Would they have to rename it?

youtu.be/NRK9PWK8Jhw

Attached: A5FEB9D6-3DB4-4820-B0EB-8B34A85DF378.jpg (800x450, 53K)

Doom 64 EX already exists. That YT clip you posted comes from it. doom64ex.wordpress.com/ It's a faithful recreation for PC by Kaiser, who works for Night Dive Studios now on their engine recreations like Turok and Blood and such. You basically feed it the Doom 64 rom and it converts all the maps and assets.

PEGI recently rated Doom 64, so it's likely getting an official re-release very soon for multiple platforms. Night Dive Studios, including Kaiser, are present at Quakecon.

Nobody knows why the re-release hasn't been announced yet. Could be a number of reasons.

Why yes, Doom 3 is my favorite. How could you tell?

Attached: 123629876387263.jpg (1068x601, 56K)

There's nothing wrong with doom3.

Doom 3 was already very much outdated by the time it had released in 2004. After John Romero's departure after Quake 1, the company had rapidly began losing significance in the world of FPS and were quickly outclassed by much more revolutionary and forward-thinking games like Duke Nukem 3D, Shadow Warrior, GoldenEye 007, Unreal, and more. The biggest sting delivered to the reputation of id software was undoubtedly the super heavy-hitter from Valve in 1998, Half-Life 1. Even 6 years after Half-Life 1, Doom 3 was VERY much a clone of that game, but it was done in an extremely derivative and un-impactful way. Doom 3 is copy of Half-Life (although, in turn, Half-Life took some ideas from the original Doom) and the current standing id Software were seemingly unable to innovate further. On the other hand, 2016 Doom is very much self-embracing on the other popular appeal (ie, fast action), as opposed to slow horror, which I think is what most of the fans really wanted.

>which I think is what most of the fans really wanted
looooollllololololo

Regardless of quality, Doom 3 nevertheless holds significance due to it's graphics and lighting. When it was first revealed at E3 back in 2001, no one believed it was real. It was demanded that Id proved that it was really the game, and not a prerendered cutscene, because it was far ahead anything ever seen at the time. Doom 3 showed people back then what games would look like in the future.

>first person shooter
>enemies don't react to being shot
>weapons sound like shit and deal fuck all damage
What was Carmack thinking?

It benefits from now being regarded as "the weird one" instead of "the failed over-hyped return"

All Doom games are great.

Attached: 1561424645271.png (686x720, 813K)

If they remake it, I hope they include more enemies.

It did suck a Half-Life 2 dick in most of the gaming magazines of late 2004. Everyone just HAD to have a big feature article like "Doom 3 vs Half-Life 2" where latter had the advantage in every aspect, but graphics.

>with strapped-on flashlight
Officially the most SOULLESS thing that ever happened in the video game industry.

Attached: 1563016336594.png (400x359, 167K)

Doom 3 owes way more to System Shock than Half-Life.

Doom 3's intro was straight copied from Half Life

Holy shit you're right, even the mobile doom rpg was good

Good point, it is indeed difficult to quantify the feelings of a fanbase like that.
However, I think what popular fanmade PWADs put their focus on is a good indicator of what most of the doom community actually values.
From that it is pretty apparent to be mostly action rather than horror.

Remember what Doom was originally supposed to be, though. Back when Tom Hall was director. He wanted a highly cinematic game. You'd move between areas on a monorail. You could use all the computer terminals you encountered. No doubt HL's opening was an influence on Doom 3, but Doom 3 is actually an implementation of the original concept for Doom in a lot of ways.

It was the first DooM game that I played, so of course I liked it.

The premise for half life was copied from doom. Experimental teleportation technology backfires upon the creators, opening a portal to another dimension. halflife had aliens, doom was hell. Who cares?

>However, I think what popular fanmade PWADs put their focus on is a good indicator of what most of the doom community actually values.
Making horror requires a skillset that most modders are sorely lacking, to be fair.

I loved Doom 3 and still do. Was the first game since I played Darkseed and System Shock 2 (I played them around the same time) to give me the fucking creeps and while the jump scares got kind of old they still consistently made me jump.

I don't remember being disappointed that it wasn't anything like Doom 2 or to an extent Quake, I was actually kinda happy it was like Quake 2 in that it eschewed the gotta go fast run and gun style of the latter and opted for a more methodical shooter with a coherent story (even if it was pretty campy). Plenty of games had already done the mindless shooter gallery format and with games like Unreal and Half Life it was only the natural evolution of things

Nah, it's a fair point to make. Tracing the design lineage of games is important. For example, imagine if people didn't know that Hugo Martin's first Doom game was Doom 64? Then they might not realise how much Doom 2016 and Doom Eternal owes to it.

>Insatiable, even by the vanquishing of the Great One, the Hell Walker sought prey in the tombs of the Blood Keep and blinded by his fervor, the lure drew him in. The priests brought down the temple upon the Doom Slayer, and in his defeat entombed him in the cursed sarcophagus.

Everyone knows the Blood Keep is from Doom 64. It has an infamously nasty trap in it.

>Doom 3 showed people back then what games would look like in the future.
and yet here we are 18 years later and the industry hasn't progressed much ever since. we don't even have proper hair/physics engines and the enemy ai is as shit as Quake 2's. but HEY! we can now play Quake 2 - a 22 YEAR OLD GAME pathtraced at 60fpsin1080p with $900 cards.

pic related was the last noticable jump for video games in terms of visual fidelity. everything since then has been mickey mouse shit.

Attached: maxresdefault.jpg (1280x720, 177K)

I'm still assmad that Doom 3 BFG Edition removed flashlight shadows.

this is a fair point and something i have always wondered, why did quake 2 never cop the shit that doom 3 did despite following a similar format?

Doom 3 holds up better than Half Life 2

>new nonstop action zoomer style
>nudoom
Have you played the original? it's the same gameplay loop. Walk into room, kill a bunch of enemies, explore a little bit to find the next way to go.

the way you described it the game just sounds totally mindless and it's not quite that way. I think of it kind of like DMC or other action games. It's not about necessarily beating the enemies in front of you, it's about doing it in whichever way strikes your fancy at the time. You have a dozen tools to use at any given time and as you improve it gets really satisfying how efficiently you annihilate a room full of enemies.

Bait af

No, it doesn't, i was a massive Doom 3 fanboy in 2004 & i played Half Life 2 for the first time in like 2011, HL2 is so much better

Doom 3 never "copped shit", it was hailed as a technical marvel at the time and a welcomed departure from an outdated format. It received nothing but praise, apart from some criticism about its steep system requirements.

Unironically one of the best games to play in vr and it is 5 times better than the nu-doom vr shit we got. It's a solid stand alone title even if it is hard to connect to the doom universe.

Far Cry pisses all over both of them, anyway. It's even a better horror game than Doom 3. There's also Riddick.

I wanted to like this game at the time, but it wasnt fun. Looked pretty though.

Doom 3 is bad but I still have a soft spot for it.

It fails so badly at being a horror game that it actually loops back around to being comfy. You have this huge techbase all to yourself to explore at your leisure. All the monsters are weak as shit and spawn one at a time, so you just kill them before they can finish their spawning animation and go back to admiring all the cool machinery. I think a lot of that comfy feeling comes from how the graphics in Doom 3 (also in FEAR, Chaos Theory, Riddick, etc) look like the pre-rendered graphics from late 90s games, only in real-time.

Attached: 9050_screenshots_20180719150215_1.jpg (1920x1080, 215K)

I actually liked it too. Sure, one can argue that it's not a "true" Doom game, but I think it stands well on it's own.

calm down there buddy, it got pretty good reviews and was never really that well known of a game. user is misremembering the memes about Doom 3 being way too dark as abject shit-talk.

>Wraiths can phase in and out of existence.
>But their animation for it takes fucking forever and they're completely vulnerable during it, effectively making them a non-threat.

10/10 enemy design.

Attached: 1487812714226.png (378x434, 279K)

Damn, I'm playing Doom 3 on PS4. This shit is as good as Dead by Daylight. Pog.

is the meme meant to be gigachad has shit taste?

When Crysis was released, no PC could run it at anything higher than low. The top GPU of the time, the 8800 Ultra ($800 hardware), got 7 fps maxed out, and "amazing" 20 fps on medium. It took three years after release before hardware could reliably run Crysis at it's full potential.

And despite all of that, today Crysis is really showing it's age, sure, the graphics and draw distance are still impressive, but the game also has N64-tier blurry textures, primitive lighting (the console ports improved this), braindead AI, copypasted everything, and every envrronment that isn't jungle looks like utter shit.

NuDoom was a trainwreck, too. The only good Doom games were the DOS Doom games.

>is the meme meant to be gigachad has shit taste?

Attached: images.jpg (199x253, 9K)

It was never the trainwreck you dumbasses try to meme it into.
ZOOM is the better game, though.

Doom 64 is good

>When Crysis was released, no PC could run it at anything higher than low.
Wait what
>braindead AI
It's good.
>every envrronment that isn't jungle looks like utter shit
Alien ship is the most striking environment in the game.

I used to replay Doom 3 almost annually, trying to gleam some kind of hidden positive aspect that I'd missed out of it, but in the end I just had to admit that it wasn't really great, and it mostly came down to the guns and combat in general being unsatisfying.

Attached: 1124873466415.gif (320x240, 1012K)

I agree with that. It's just a really neat setting.

i was the same but i stick by my opinion because i found doom 3 more immersive after 10 shitzillion hours of gmod making every single half life 2 character model generally amusing and hard to take seriously
also the lighting was better in doom 3

Doom 3 was pretty uncomfy played in the dark with headphones on.
The ambient soundscape was crazy good; like THE WALLS ARE WHISPERING AT ME good. I felt nothing of the sort of primal fear I remember D3 for when playing the BFG edition recently, though.
I think it's because BFG doesn't do the pitch black darkness. Or maybe it's because my flatscreen just can't do perfect black like CRTs could, I dunno.

HL2 feels like an extended bot match and not a singleplayer game.

I like all Doom games, what I like about 3 is that it’s almost survival horror, with great attention to atmosphere, while other Doom games are about combat and, recently, platforming

I've always defended it, since it came out. I've also praised Doom 64 as the real successor to the original Dooms and pulled off what Doom3 failed on, a more horror based doom.
As for nuDoom I can't say, I haven't played it but from what I've seen it looks like they missed the boat even more than Doom 3, whether it's a fun game I don't know.

It is good and it gets even better once you get the cube

here's a link to the ROM if anyone wants to play Doom 64 EX
vimm.net/vault/2578

using the plasmagun was satisfying

>WAAAAAAH IT WASN'T MUH MAZE SIMULATOR. MUH KEY CARDS!!!!!!!!

Wtf everyone was impressed with doom3. It came out just before the manchild epidemic online

This isn't even true incel

What engine does Doom 64 use? It's a lot more sophisticated than original Doom's, with stuff like true room-over-room, rooms that radically change their layout in far more complex ways than old Doom, enemies that truly appear out of nowhere, instead of being placed at monster closets to be teleported when the trigger is activated, teleporting items (in other words, Doom 64 can spawn things not present at a map initially, while on Doom 1/2, everything had to be present from the get go). But it still uses prerendered sprites like on the original Doom games, and not 3D models like Quake.

>UX improvement is soulless

Are you retarded?

>jump scare bad!
Doom 3 is great.

Mgs4 is a rough game to start the series with

Agreed.

user, no it doesn't.

Its an ok game, not a doom game per se but it stands out. Shame that the version on ps4 and switch its the BFG one, wanted to smack zombies with the flashlight.

The decision of not allowing flashlight and guns at the same time was intentional. Id wanted to show off the game's lighting effects, which would be lost if the player was given access to a constant source of light. That's why Doom 3 should not played with any kind of "duct tape" mod.

>constant source of light
The BFG flashlight runs out and has the recharge, the bigger issue is that the game is made much easier by the increased ammo and health pickups.

Doom 3 is “good” on its own as a contemporary horror game. But as a doom game? Completely and utterly bad. Doom has always been a FPS action shooter, so to turn it from a fast paced shooter to a tight corridor horror shooter creates a game that is completely different from the rest of the series. It would be like making donkey Kong into a beat em up or sonic a platformer. It’s so radically different from previous titles that it will alienate old school players and leave said players with a bitter taste in their mouths. You must also keep in mind that doom 3 came out a decade after doom 2. So it only pissed off players more that the newest installment to a beloved franchise is completely different from its predecessors

Attached: 1B001F15-D994-4D28-AE61-9FDD7B422BDA.png (483x414, 231K)

NOOOOOOOOOOOOO OLD GAME GOOD THEYRE ALWAYS GOOD

>removing memorable moments of beating the shit out of imp with a flashlight in a completely dark room isn't soulless
You are retarded. Trading firepower for having a light source is important part of Doom 3 gameplay.

>But as a doom game?
Fuck you. See

youtube.com/watch?v=0b68TgGLMWo&t=1m35s

>linking to a thread where the OP got BTFO

Is there a mod/patch that improves or makes each enemy and weapon have more of a purpose or distinguishion? Honestly, all the weapons feel pretty much exactly the same. Rifle vs Plasma? Damage output is more or less the same, with the only difference being that enemy projectiles are easily destroyed with the plasma rifle. Chain gun just deals a tiny bit more damage compared to the rifle & plasma rifle. Rocket launcher is just good for chaingunners or killing small fry in 1 shot. Revenant, imps, and some other enemies feel like they have the same health pool. It just makes me sad. That and the less power ups overall. Berserker is only used twice iirc and the sound it makes when used sucks. Played on normal.

I liked it on release, I like it now. And I’m 38, with a good job, and a massive cock.

Stop being fucking useless, OP.

soul vs soulless

I kinda agree except CG is twice the damage of the rifle. But PG has almost the same damage as CG and slightly less ammo... It's weird.

You sound just like me, last year. Now I'm 39, unemployed, and have a massive cock. Doom 3 sucks dick.

>but I remember Doom 3 being a laughing stock when it came out
I thought children can't remember before they were three years old, zoom zoom

It's probably not a bad game. I've played it for a while and I don't feel like playing anymore. I liked the original Dooms. The 2016 one is good at keeping a similar vibe. I do dislike the progression system and how important glory kills are instead of just being a graphical addition.
Doom 3 is just a different game.

>when people are arguing about Doom 3 versus Half-Life 2 but you thought Far Cry shat on both on release

>This is likely where Doom 3 got its idea to have an ambient soundtrack of environmental noises
or they could have just been influenced from when they done the original Quake instead

>played on normal

Attached: pHLa8ctFCkM.jpg (183x320, 33K)

Doom 3 is the worst Doom game, but I still enjoy parts of it. It's a failed experiment, but

Difficulty level doesn't change enemy HP, you're thinking of HL2.

>like making donkey Kong into a beat em up or sonic a platformer
Sonic was always a platformer, more or less, and a Donkey Kong beat 'em up sounds amazing.
You picked really poor examples.

It looked cool and the reloading sound was sick

The interactive consoles you navigated in-game fucking blew my mind at the time.

I liked the deathmatch

still better than nudoom

How should I approach playing Doom 3? Heard that the BFG edition is a no go with the flashlight stuff, should I just play vanilla 3?

I say vanilla, since it's easy to get running on anything these days.

Google HD mod.

I bought it for PS4 on the weekend and I have to say I'm enjoying it. Reminds me of FEAR

>was never really that well known of a game
patently false

they do the same thing with fallout 3 vs 4

for all of Doom3's flaws at least it had mods
and so really fucking cool mods at that

Attached: laughs in moddable doom games.png (909x1000, 829K)

>It received nothing but praise, apart from some criticism about its steep system requirements.
thanks gamespot
everyone who actually played it start to finish felt it was pretty mediocre in general

Attached: 1553701873578.jpg (1080x1080, 425K)

Attached: yes and.jpg (151x197, 10K)

false!

the game was built from the ground up for modding
literally everything was in plain text

trivia: at E3 2002(?) the press accused john carmack of faking the demo, assuming it was prerendered or otherwise manipulated. So john just opened the console and typed "editor" which opened the map editor, rearranged some things, compiled it and restarted the level with everything working
youtube.com/watch?v=nvrqc5HmIdg

Attached: e84bf0413a0e878e4108479e3e532740ae768c68d90fc066aba9e88b7314bd92.jpg (896x1200, 376K)

Very true actually. A lot of people felt like it was just a fancy tech demo, which it kinda was.

honestly the enemies in nudoom are retarded
doom 3 had small cqc and sprint made it fast/made it feel more like classic doom 1 and 2

hated the open arenas in doom 2016

false!

The speedrun for doom 3 is pretty cool at least. All of the doom games have interesting speedruns now that i think about it. Nudoom has the crazy physics glitches that launch you across the whole map

Game would have been fine if it didn't have doom in the title, it felt more like a resident evil game, than a Doom game

Doom 3 was fine. Nothing particularly great or bad about it.

Only good game in the series

News just broke this week that PEGI released a new rating for Doom64, which means that a re-release is likely in the works in some fashion. This, together with Doom I and II also recently coming to Switch, makes a 64 re-release likely at this point.

It all depends on if you want the authentic, original "vanilla" experience, or if you want the better-looking option with several quality of life improvements. The flashlight is a great example of this, as it was always a point of great contention with the original game. The game is dark, and the flashlight is pain because it's not particularly bright and requires you to put away your weapon to use it. Some see the value in this and argue that it adds to the horror "experience", while others found it to just be bothersome.

It's up to you how much you value the vanilla experience.

Speaking of DOOM, DOOM for Switch is just some shit that some intern threw up together in Unity.

mobile.twitter.com/noteinso/status/1154809291641151488

RIP DOOM franchise.

Attached: 1538382989575.jpg (1024x1024, 79K)

>Is there any chance of us getting Doom 64 on PC
Ex, Retribution, and the other methods already mentioned. You've had the ability for quite some time.

>of other beasts being detailed, the masculine-sounding Mancubus seemed to be, well, female, and not just because of the monstrous boobies amid the rolls of brown fat... you'll have to see it for yourself.
Is the writer implying they modeled a vagina?
Does anybody have a screenshot of what it looked like? It's clearly not the final version because it's nowhere near what is described.

Attached: 4056205-mancubus-doom3.jpg (483x402, 58K)

Official ports of Doom 1 and 2 are already on Android, with an official port of Doom 3 BFG coming soon-ish.

Thing is, all of these Bethesda ports are fucking shit garbage compared to many of the source ports developed over the years packaging different engines for mod capability.
They don't have near the level of functionality, no mod support whatsoever, and it's all locked behind their account system.

There was an old android source port of the 2004 version of Doom 3 years back in 2014 that ran like shit on most phones of the day, without scaling the graphics and effects down in the .ini configs, but that had full mod support just about and you were able to load in the expansion, and play multiplayer.

And they fucking sell those garbage ports for like 5 dollars or something when the Beloko source ports were like 2 bucks for a shitload of functionality.

no

The concept art for Doom 3 was wild, they seemed to have went into the project as a complete black canvas

Attached: DfrIFBmXUAE--VK.jpg (1200x654, 100K)

Actually there's a current source port of Doom floating around right now that can do vanilla, chocolate, ZDoom, GZDoom, and PrBoom, with full support for their mods, wads, and derivatives like Hexen and Strife.

It's an updated successor to the Beloko source ports.

Neat.

Funny how it all ended up looking like shit in the game.

Pretty sure there's a vagina door in the Comm Transfer level

Here's an early hellknight with a cock and balls

Attached: concept_art_1.jpg (941x704, 117K)

youtube.com/watch?v=DYztmoSdYFE
Did anyone figure out what this was supposed to be? Is it a left over from a cut enemy or an older visual concept or something?

Doom 3 had the same issue as Half Life 2, a ton of good ideas in the beta that got thrown out for something safe & boring

Though HL2 managed to keep a few more exciting ideas, like the gravity gun, which Doom 3 had something like that too, which the artists used to make the rooms more messy with shit thrown everywhere, but the designers thought it would be bad for gameplay (kek)

Obviously a hellknight?

On second view no, it's not a hellknight. Well that sucks. I'd fight it instead of a million more imps.

with that texture, im going to guess older hell knight model

Man, this game looks good in motion, but it really was just a themepark haunted house.

There was a Polish version of Doom 3?

what it is is a random jump scare
what level is it in? I'll try and find its name in the game files

>The top GPU of the time, the 8800 Ultra ($800 hardware), got 7 fps maxed out
I had 7800GTS, and my fps was ~60 at all High settings on 1280x1024.

it's near the start of the 'Communications Transfer' level

S.T.A.L.K.E.R. ended up being the other side of Half-Life 2's coin. It executed on many of the ambient and environmental concepts Valve toyed with and threw out.

played it when i was a kid, it was awesome. i remember the first time i ran into a cacodemon i pause the game for like an hour to build up confidence lol

The new release of Crysis 1 post Xbox360 port had some downgrades, and some of the "DX10 / Windows Vista exclusive" effects are broken on the new OS's without ini tweaks.

Also the Steam version of Crysis 1 is gimped; The 64-bit executables from the disc release aren't included. Like I think the only way to accurately judge Crysis 1 nowadays is to run the DVD release on Vista.

the best part of this game is one shotting everything in slowmo with the super shotgun and the heart thingy in resurrection of evil

When i bought this on xbone og, i was confused as to why i was holding a flashlight more than shootin my gun

Did you ever play the PC version?
The original Xbox port of Doom 3 had some severe downgrading. Two levels were cut and many other levels had some massive retooling for memory constraints. Some areas were cut out entirely, others had different features added or removed and floor plans tweaked for performance.

Probably one of the last PC to console ports ever done before multiplatform development became standard with content parity across all platforms.

By some miracle if you hadn't yet, the PC version will feel almost like a new game.

It is called commo_hellhead
pak002.pk4\models\mapobjects\commoutside\

Attached: unknown-demon.jpg (456x609, 23K)

So was it an older hellknight design or a cut enemy? Pretty interesting.

Or maybe it's neither and it really is just a prop for that sequence. Thanks user

No the only references to it are as a level prop, nothing about it being a regular enemy

Half Life 2 has much better gameplay. Problem with HL 2 is that "design choices" are constantly forcefed to you, and there's little actual, organic gameplay, but when it happens, it's damn good.
Doom 3 was shit all around, not a single "design choice" seem good or serve actual purpose except levels being collection of tiny areas, which was a choice, made so engine doesn't shit itself

Yep, out of Big Three mid-2000s tech demos, this one holds best simply because it's almost entirely unadulterated gameplay

What are the best gameplay mods for Doom 3? I started to play it, but I'm already annoyed by many aspects of the gameplay

I tried to replay Doom 3 and give it a fair chance recently and it really is ass. It deserves the flak it got.
>Imps have a bullshit lunge attack that's unavoidable and can sometimes trigger from behind doors
>Enemies constantly spawn from behind you even in cleared areas. This wouldn't be as bad if it were only demons after they start using their summon/spawn animation, but even zombies and z-sec do this which makes no logical sense
>Pacing is very stop-start, you get an audio log (which in fairness you can listen to without the PDA prompt), kill 4-5 enemies, rinse repeat the entire game
>Flashlight has a battery that doesn't really affect the challenge factor and is just a nuisance that you have to take care of every minute or so
>Shotgun sucks
There's a lot of neat things in Doom 3, but I dare anyone who's really played it to pretend it isn't annoying as all hell.

Yea Forums is full of people who don't even play video games and natural contrarians on top of that.

This is a complete lie, the 8800 GTX ran Crysis on Ultra pretty decently, though you wouldn't get 60fps

Also the 8800 GTX by late 2007 was like $400 & it was never $800

Favorite id tech 4 game.

Attached: 323924220.jpg (640x360, 56K)

I liked Doom3, even back in the day.

Doom1 and 2 are pretty boring in comparison.
Not even gonna pretend.

It looks pretty similar to pic related, which could have been another concept for the Hellknight, or maybe a Baron of Hell, if they were ever going to have those in at any point.

Attached: d3model.png (1612x1148, 1.92M)

>Enemies constantly spawn from behind you even in cleared areas.
Enter Room. Monster spawns in front, another spawns behind you.
Devs were so consistent with that """ambush""", after some time I was genuinely surprised when nothing spawned behind my back.

>Flashlight has a battery that doesn't really affect the challenge factor
In PC release flashlight was a melee weapon. I shit you not, you had to select it, walk around base with it, and when monsters spawn, switch to weapon and retreat to area where you could see them, assuming game didn't lock doors behind you.

90% darkness and 10% audiologs.

Can't see anything="muh atmosphere"

You just shoot them when they are spawning, D3 isn't well designed at all

there is this mod for doom 3 called phobos, the end boss spawns in like doom 3 enemies do, but if you go near mid spawn, you will fall down to hell, it's amazing one modder thought of that & id didn't

I love it. "Old" Doom subhumans should just get a brain instead of just "lol left mouse click boom boom xD" without anything else to do

Attached: doom-karl-urban-rosamund-pike-doom-datum-2005-k3m75b.jpg (864x1390, 107K)

Wow man, it's the exact same thing for the port pushed to Android.
I wonder if this means they're remaking Doom 3 in Unity too.

Doom 3 tries to be a horror and action game but fails miserably at both. Because 99% of the "scariness" comes from monsters teleporting behind you which just gets repetitive. And the action sucks because your weapons are unsatisfying and theres an absurd recoil every time you take damage.

So what's worse about the BFG Edition? Some people say it's unplayable garbage but it seems mostly functional.

I WANT TO PLAY THE CANCELLED DOOM 4
RELEASE IT ID, YOU FUCKS

Attached: tVihlwb.png (813x456, 202K)

that model actually made it into the engine for the 2001 macworld demo, but was scrapped when ZBrush got adopted because 3D scanning high poly sculptures was way too difficult

Attached: DuGu9vpW0AArl6L.jpg (640x480, 38K)

So true. It takes a truly intellectual gamer to hold left mouse and then also read e-mails sometimes.

>It's a good x game, but a bad y game
Was about to make this bait post but someone beat me to it.

I had fun with it when it came out. No access to the internet, so I didn't know about the bandwagon of faggots that hated it.

didn't Croteam also work on Doom 4? They made vertical slice game, showed it to id Software, but got rejected, so they completed it as Serious Sam 3.

It's the worst in the series but if you didn't like Doom 3 then you don't like Doom as a franchise and are just a contrarian latching on to old games like a retard.

Fuck off with your autistic nitpicking bullshit.

Attached: 1560643469441.png (1130x900, 249K)

this art style was so much better & even fucking darker, wish the 2001 visuals held

same goes for half life 2

>It's the worst in the series
The series didn't end with it, user.

More like least best
final doom is shit

Attached: 1550090725644.png (197x190, 54K)

bethesda would have killed off id for good had they actually released this piece of shit instead of doom 2016.

>this piece of shit instead of piece of shit
?

How come no one ever praises the storyline of Doom 3? A known sci-fi author is responsible for it.

I still a paperback gaming magazine rating it 92% or some shit. I don't know what you're rambling about.

you can't honestly think that cawadooty doom 4 would have been better than what we got with 2016

There are more shitty genre books than good books. Being a published author doesn't mean someone is a good writer. As evidenced by D3's generic story.

Both would be forgettable, mediocre, unfun and generic, I don't see the difference.

Early Doom 3 was weird as fuck
twitter.com/superactionfunb/status/1072350214827245568
I fucking love Kenneth Scott's style and design language but when he works on an existing IP he just goes completely off model.
His original stuff is fantastic, it is such a shame RAGE 2 abandoned his art style

Attached: DuHA07IWoAAFgX2.jpg (677x1117, 96K)

>this entire fucking post
never post again on this board you retarded clown.

shit taste

Yes, that's exactly what I'm talking about regarding nuDoom

nuDoom's enemy designs are trash compared to those of 3
Also the PDAs are great, the emails and audio logs contribute a lot to the already great environment design
I'd love to get a full System Shock-esque Doom game

my niggerino!

Attached: 1322593339933.gif (141x141, 481K)

>little grey meatball
>better than an actual cacodemon

you're either doombaby or just a retarded contrarian

>start a new game
>give weapon_machinegun
lots of good demon blasting in this one

The game was really well designed from a technical pov. Carmack’s a coding genius.

This

I just bought bfg edition on ps3 physical for 5 bucks and it even had the doom poster so fuck op.

In your dreams maybe. With that card, you'd get at most 40fps in a good day, in low settings at 1280x1024

It's quite unremarkable and it's not popular like with D44M so of course a place filled with contrarians will act as if it was good only to make the newer one sound worse. Same deal as with Far Cry 2.

Seething toasternigger

>there are retards on Yea Forums who will defend far cry 2 gta iv and mgs4
>these same retards are now nostalgic for halo, cod minecraft and roblox
Yea Forums needs a purge

Lunges are avoidable and shotgun is a great melee weapon.

Pretty much. A lot of people fall for the "book writer = good writer" meme but the amount of garbage books is incredibly huge.

Minecraft was loved here before it became popular desu.

It was a good game is why retard.

What's with the history revisionism going on in this thread?

It happens with every mediocre game released more than 10 years ago.

It has always been good and I've made a few threads on it over the years giving it praise. The game was never seen as extremely shitty so fuck off with that.

I liked the gravity physics. To this date I haven't seen a game with maps that cool

Will doom eternal support modding?

someone say doom?

Attached: doom.webm (510x480, 2.95M)

No, it's because it's shit

pcgamesn.com/doom-eternal/doom-eternal-mods maybe

shit taste nigger

Doom 3 and Quake 4 regularly blur together in my head.

yep, prey ftw

Definitely not on launch. All the devs have said is that theyve "made steps to make modding possible in the future" (paraphrase)

Yea Forums always loved Minecraft.
Halo is almost two decades old and isn’t deserving of its hate. It’s mostly just jealous arena fags who wanted someone to point fingers at when their games died down.
I’ve never seen a Roblox thread.
I agree about CoD being shit but whatever, at least it’s vidya.

i really liked it as well. did a coop with a buddy too

This. In 2021 when the next Elder Scrolls game comes out, the board will be full of people heralding Skyrim as the best RPG ever made.

I liked doom 3, fuck everyone in this thread

The visuals were certainly identical.

This.
I actually was wondering which one had that fight with your captain turned into a tank, but I guess that was Quake 4.

it'd be perfectly fine if you could choose when you save instead of having to replay a 30 minute level when you die.

>tedious stupid game design for cheap scares vs. practical up to standard implement which makes blasting demons more fun.
i fucking hate nostalgiafags you guys will justify anything. Thats like telling an old man using a cane in more fun than walking normally because it makes life harder.

ehh, what? you can save whenever you want. on pc

Nope, doom 3

They both had that sequence. Doom 3 had Sabbath with the BFG and Quake had its own guy turned into a Strogg tank.

The only thing I don't like is the classic enemy redesigns. The Cacodemons and Imps look especially terrible.

Looks like that mess they called a hellknight in that Rock Doom movie

I never finished it. It wasn't a bad game but it just wasn't great either.

Kid you weren't born a that time.

This game was praised for its graphics, and tech.

I liked Croc 2 as a kid but that doesn't make a good game.
You retards need to admit that the shitty games you played as kids were shitty.

Doom 3 reminded me more of System Shocks than Doom games.
Not one to one of course but more similar.

hey fuck off, i liked doom 3. not great doom but it's fun

moddb.com/mods/perfected-doom-3-version-500
Is this shit good?

Im playing on a 4k screen and the blacks are amazing

Funny, usually niggers aren't that great in my experience.

better than doom 3 for sure

Might pick this shit up on Switch so I can play in bed. How much is it and how does it run portable?

Doom 3 honestly has cool movement though, b hopping feels pretty good. And the fact that it has 360 aiming is nice. Let's just say that Doom 2016 and Eternal could probably learn a thing or two from 3.

>You can't play Doom 3 on modern MacOS
Well, am I playing on Switch or PS4, lads?

Doom isn't for story. So even if there is some semblance of a fun/interesting story, it's kinda lost.

thoughts.

Attached: training1.jpg (1280x1024, 315K)

Get a PC, mac is a meme

I got one. I just moved, and it doesn't arrive until Friday

>playing the BFG edition
If you can't get the original on PC you might as well not play it at all.

>trivia: at E3 2002(?) the press accused john carmack of faking the demo, assuming it was prerendered or otherwise manipulated. So john just opened the console and typed "editor" which opened the map editor, rearranged some things, compiled it and restarted the level with everything working
fucking based
got a link?

Attached: file.png (474x342, 362K)

sorry to hear that, but d3 was cool as shit when i was a kid and kind of scared me, im hoping when i revisit it when i get timw to its similar to dead space. am i right?

Attached: 1562419468164.png (270x301, 102K)

download a source port and use that

did anyone else like their Wolfenstein™ Youngblood™ email and are ready to free the streets of Paris from the white people?

switch bros how are you enjoying d3?

>*inhales* So are imps as strong as chimps? Because God damn that'd make Doomguy as strong as a Silverback. Pull up the video

Attached: Screenshot_2019-07-29-19-30-33.png (1080x1920, 266K)

>boom boom wahoo vs actual gameplay where you have to dodge and play as a high IQ ubermensch

it should be counted as a spinoff and not as mainline game, besides the fucking flashlight shit, its decent game, but awful doom.

uh oh, resetera aint gunna be happy bout that

This will be hilarious.

>Carmack
>Caring about resetera

Oh baby!

Half-Life 2's graphics and artstyle aged better.

My biggest complaint is how the monsters spawn. It's always with a giant flash of light and spooky voice. It stops being scary because you know you're safe from tougher enemies until you hear that noise.

It also sucks knowing that when you do hear that noise, you know for a FACT you'll need to look behind you because something will ALWAYS spawn there too.

What killed the game for me was its lack of game design fundamentals compared to the original Doom. In the original enemies would enter a stagger animation after a few hits so sometimes it wasn't just a matter of avoiding their attacks but prioritizing targets. This is specially obnoxious in Doom 3 with it's human enemies since they would keep firing at you nonstop even if you're attacking them.

how do i unzip this file?

No. People defend it because despite not being a very good spiritual sequel to classic Doom, it was still a very good game. Take the Doom name off of it, and call it something else, and no one would have many complaints about it.

IN WHAT WAY IS IT GOOD

It's a decent early 2000s shooter just a terrible doom game

It would be okayish but nothing great.

The mark of a shitty shooter.

I will kill to see Carmack take a bong rip and talk about martial arts
The story of the first time he got drunk in Masters of Doom was hilarious

Attached: 1495993893846.png (547x544, 297K)

No other game touched that true evil hell feel Doom 3 did

I feel like every time a game does Hell, it just feel arcady, which is fine, but the evil aspect of Doom 3 was pretty fucking kino

Attached: 1542243606320.jpg (100x84, 11K)

MGS4 is alright, and I played them all from MG1.

It gave us dark mod.

Atleast.

Based.

I like all the 4 main games

Attached: 2c83913b77da303bb021bba7bf9e7bd0.jpg (500x720, 61K)

I'm just sad people and id themselves don't even acknowledge final doom. Even with the re-release to mobile and switch they don't bother doing final doom or even mentioning it

It's a well deserved neglection. Nobody was ok with the quality of it.

Attached: 1514033538188.png (600x609, 337K)

>I think it's because BFG doesn't do the pitch black darkness.
Correct.

Oh god, screenshot this because you are right.

It was breddy good, but repetitive halfway through (needs a few pauses)

Attached: 20170105002749.jpg (1920x1080, 244K)

I am perfectly fine with them choosing to acknowledge Doom 64 over Final Doom. 64 generally has better level design than Doom 2 and deserves more awareness.

>In 2021 when the next Elder Scrolls game comes out
Try 2025.

All the autists praise Morrowind right now so it's Oblivion's turn to be memed into "classic" next.
I remember how Buggerfall fanboys were screeching about how the series lost its SOUL all over the internet in mid 2000s.

Doom 3 had humans.
I miss humans.

I recall Doom (2016) not having a single human alive in the game, only Olivia Pierce for a couple of scenes but she had an exoskeleton making it more like half machine human.

I hate the "we are the resistance" trope, but it wouldn't hurt a little of demons murdering a group of survivors before an encounter.

Attached: file.png (633x589, 406K)

Just make the "we are here to clean-up the mess" trope and you'll get both encounters against humans and in-fighting with the demons.

How did they manage to make the assault rifle so anemic?

they gave a bit of life to mars made you feel creeped out when everything went to shit especially the survivors hiding out that got murdered

Attached: 1404877713696.png (516x619, 205K)

Eternal is gonna have humans at least

By basing it on P90

So I've never played 3. What's this shit I hear about a soul cube?

Quake 4 = Arcade
Doom = Horror

Loved this
youtube.com/watch?v=IapOdKQDOWI

It's prolly among the best survival horror games, definitely in the top 10
but it's just not a doom game
I still prefer it over nu-doom, which was a blast but I never touched it again. Doom 3 on the other hand is so massive and so full of little scary moments that I still crack open a cold one and go through it every copuple of years.

youtu.be/5uH72d4tdlQ sexy weapon

To me its like deadspace mixed with alien mixed with event horizon

>Survival horror games
It's not a survival horror by any means. It has a horror aesthetic but it has no mechanics or challenges based around flight or fight scenarios with very limited resources that make killing everything ill advised.

just horror then

>tfw never played a single DOOM game in my life
>tfw hyped as fuck to finally play 2016 and Eternal at some point when that drops
I just want to play some hardcore, bloody as fucking hell shootan action games, goddammit. Is it true that 2016 feels almost more like an action game like DMC than a FPS? Fuck, I want to play it so badly. I have it downloaded on my PS4 already.

I should play the originals too right? They're not too esoteric for me in terms of game design? I've watched some gameplay on YT, all the secrets and level design seem a tad too complex for me.

>reeesetera
as if anybody cared what those bigots think

Just play it, faggot.

Attached: 1512338631811.png (1543x6892, 1.67M)

Doom 2016 seems right up your alley.
The older Dooms are just as good but they are different. Doom 2016 is RIP AND TEAR YEAH SHOOT AND PUNCH FUCK DEMONS RAAH RAHH but Classic Doom plays more strategically, and you aren't as overpowered and mobile. The level design isn't as complicated as it looks.

Is the Doom 3 switch release the BFG one? Does it have the constant flashlight and shit?

Attached: 1439715025261.jpg (672x1000, 106K)

Yes

Thanks for letting me know. That saves me some money.

I will eventually.

Yeah, I'm probably going to play through 2016 and then get to the originals at some point. Are you sure the level design isn't that complicated? I have no problem with exploring and stuff but the stuff in the original Doom and other games like it seem worse than, say, a lot of the action-adventure games I've played before like LoZ and Tomb Raider.

this is too much thought for preparing to play fucking DOOM of all things. just play the game if it interests you.

>people bitch about how you can't wield weapons and the flashlight at the same time, so you constantly juggle between the two and shoot at darkness half the time
>fans create the duct tape mod for Doom 3 to rectify this
>years later id releases the BFG Edition where developers themselves fix this issue
>people still complain

Really now?

Attached: mouse is what.jpg (222x227, 8K)

it's because the critical response at the time was just reactionary. the flashlight swapping is fundamental to the essence of Doom 3, and it isn't really an inherent negative that patching it out seems to suggest.

>people who say x and people who say y must be the same!
What would make you think this? Isn't it easier to believe the fans who complained about the flashlight switching and the fans who complained about the duct taped flashlight are different people?

Attached: D6d9YNPWkAAHoWB.jpg (768x1024, 73K)

not if you are schizophrenic!

All of the new ports are unity copies you tard.

I've always defended it because it was a good game, not whatever bullshit you're going on about.

>grey meatball with testicles
You have pdas in nu doom and they are great.

Now you have to switch between your weapon and the pistol.

I really dont get a lot of the hate for this game. It honestly wasnt that bad. Sure back in the day it was a slap in the face and I used to hate it but I warmed up to it and in hindsight it plays well and it'a an interesting twist on the premise imo. Doom meets Half Life. I'm glad the new series didnt end up sticking to that formula though.

I hated GTAIV when it came out, Maybe GTAV was just even worse but after replaying GTAIV in the current year I enjoyed it alot more.

I am angry that he is happier than me

This. I remember people recommending the flashlight mod and how it "fixed the game" but then the BFG edition hit and suddenly that's the thing everyone hates. I dont get it.

Still better than nu-DOOM

reminder that doom 64 was the true doom 3.

funny how it was passed off as old hat in the wake of turok and goldeneye, but is infinitely more fun to play today than either of them.

That generation was one of the most obsessed ones with innovation over actually well made gameplay.

Laughing at it is such a brainlet bandwagoner opinion. Heaven forbid they release a game with an actual plot arc and an attempt at characterization instead of braindead wave-based killing which had aged terribly by the time of Doom 3's release. Given nuDoom tried the same thing, they were on the right track, just ahead of their time.

People even heckled Doom 3 about monster closets, when Doom 1 and 2 have the exact same thing, just not as overt. It was the cool game to hate at the time, and the stupidity lives on even today apparently.

>so did everyone else at the time
It was the smug contrarian edgelord opinion to hate it at the time. If Yea Forums was around back then, you'd no doubt see threads about it

Easy on the hysterics you sound like a woman

Heaven forbid people call out a boring POS for what it is and prefer proper shooters over it