Examples of modern open worlds that are simply TOO BIG

open world games are too large now and this might be a problematic trend?

traveling in open world games sucks ass, it's slow and tedious and rarely there's anything truly worthwhile to explore apart from the obligatory copy/paste item drop or a silly easter egg

fast travel also isn't the solution if your game is 90% fluff and recycled garbage

Attached: maxresdefault.jpg (1280x720, 210K)

Gay

what's a good example then?

Gay

gay

The open world is the least of AC: Odyssey's problems.

San Andreas. The different environments that make up the map were packed and diverse enough that it made the map feel larger than it actually was, while still being considerably smaller than open world games today.

open world is never good nor done properly
change my mind

I was just playing VC and SA on my phone and SA's map is just masterfully crafted. Even on the shitty low-detail mobile port you can feel the hood.

I think they just need to make the act of traveling actually more involved than just walking from A to B. botw did this a little bit and death stranding looks like its going to be a majority of the gameplay so if it and botw 2 can pull off interesting traveling I think open world games will start copying them.

Nah

>more content bad
holy shit, just keep buying DLC and stfu

quality > quantity

I felt similar with The Witcher 3, don't get me wrong it's a great game but the amount of shit to do is overwhelming and puts me off playing it.

Games should be so big so 100% completion is nearly damn impossible. My dream game is mmo where you have to spend a few real time days to go from one city to another

Attached: 81151926.jpg (711x633, 43K)

it takes only around to cover ALL question signs ALL sidequests and ALL DLCs WITHOUT FASTTRAVEL
it's not much at ALL

around 200 hours*

>it's a great game
It's not. Fuck off back to /reddit/.

no one asked for your shitty opinion frogfucker, try /r/gaming

Walk outside

I mean, try slow-walking in RDR2 across the entire map. Like a pilgrimage.

The key reason Souls games have such fantastic worlds is because there is no wasted space. Its open world and lets you move around freely, but each inch is filled with items, enemies or bosses, there is always something immediately in front of you to face.

Honestly if you have to take more than 60s running in any direction to reach something you need to cut that space down.

FACT: Dark Souls would be more fun as an open world game.

OHHHHHHHHH ELDEN RING

No
Fuck off retard
still a lot smaller than most MMOs

Attached: grayons.png (558x614, 45K)

you're correct

Dark souls is an open world game fagtron.

I can smell the polish cock in your mouth from here Witcherfag.

do you not see the contradiction in your statement? claiming more content is good and then implying DLC(which is more content) is bad.
you're retarded and can't form a proper argument, remove yourself from the genepool.
also this .

Keke

dark souls is already open world

The Yakuza sandboxes are so nice to be in after these huge, mostly empty open worlds

>this level of projection

Attached: Space Jam.gif (480x358, 1.14M)

>this level of projection
Yes, you are projecting, thanks for admitting it

No, a literal open world. With fields and rolling hills. Not a castle filled with meme corridors and hallways.

Developers for some reason think that making your world big makes it good. But this trend is going to die, people are getting fed up of the Ubishit world design which everyone seems to copy where its 90% empty space between what are basically set pieces of content.

>no u
Hello /reddit/

>rdr2
>too big

Attached: maxresdefault_2.jpg (1280x720, 78K)

Dark souls is open world. Whether its open fields or passageways is irrelevant.

make me, you little shit

San Andreas also has the benefit of being just a city/county in modern times rather than a country set in the past.

wow pokemon red is open world too

what you're describing is sandbox

I'm sure your opinion would be welcomed in r/Skyrim and r/witcher

retard

t. pot

A world is too big if you can't fill it with worthwhile content.

If you have to resort to copypasting tons of content then you should scale it back.

Also, you should make traveling the map fun. Spider-man succeeded in this to the point where people could use fast-travel, but didn't because swining around was so fun.

Attached: xfjkrftg.jpg (998x926, 82K)

The only reason I barely used fast travel is because 90% of the time the entirety of the fast travel from fading out, showing le quirky subway shit, and fade back in felt longer than just swinging to the place.

honestly I wouldn't mind vast empty landscapes of the game was set in medieval fantasy or in an age where the world isn't tamed yet, like rdr2 is fine I guess.

what I hate is when they do that in a metropolitan/urban setting, like GTA or possible cyberpunk 2077, just having lots of buildings you can't access is stupid. I legit feel like the hub system of vtmb was great, also Deus ex mankind divided did it nicely with restricting play to only two districts in Prague but they had quite the verticality.

Bully

More 3D games need the interconnected rooms map design.

Attached: chozo_ruins.jpg (1000x450, 112K)

The Witcher 3

>honestly I wouldn't mind vast empty landscapes of the game was set in medieval fantasy or in an age where the world isn't tamed yet, like rdr2 is fine I guess.

So you enjoy just holding the stick in a direction and tapping/holding a button for 5 minutes until you reach your desitination?

Metroid prime has way too much back tracking.

see