How do we save the horror genre?

How do we save the horror genre?

Attached: c0e0feb9b8af08e2c89ac76912fcc3c3.jpg (640x640, 116K)

Other urls found in this thread:

youtu.be/BKTkCa5nB_8
youtu.be/jlaxrYnYl4M
store.steampowered.com/app/774221
twitter.com/NSFWRedditVideo

Make them about your mom

LIFE IS SUCH A DRAG

use early 3d graphics

Attached: Screenshot (126).png (1920x1080, 237K)

More loot.

Attached: spooky forest.jpg (1920x1080, 397K)

I would argue that graphics being better is what will drive it. especially in the VR realm. I have only played a few scary games on my gear vr headset, but there is definitively something to it as far as an added layer of tension.

Make the player imagine the threat/enemy/horror rather than showing it right away.
The human mind cooks up far worse things than any horror game could hope to.

What game is this? looks interesting

This is why I enjoyed the movie Pontypool so much

Relying on thick atmosphere, abstract yet cohesive plot, unique concepts in terms of gameplay, dreamlike landscapes and making everything normal but slightly off. also make the game replayable because it should be also fun after all, right?

Attached: 5784344.png (634x474, 366K)

Focus on inherent anxieties
Too many horror flicks in the modern age rely on cheap thrills

Attached: 1531691134289.jpg (1184x1174, 173K)

It's Division 2.

I think Darkwood is the best horror game I've played in the last 5 years and what it did really well aside from having no jumpscares was keep explanations ambiguous.
I've done two runs with completely different decisions and gotten very different stories and data sets and I'm still in the dark about so much of the story, like the origins of the horror, what it wants, or how it works. I just have a lot information about the results of it and I've filled in the gaps with the unknown.

Attached: mushroom granny.webm (802x1070, 1.33M)

bump?

Is this post meant to be sarcastic? Never played Division 2. Isn't it a non-horror shooter?

darkwood, and another great horror game silent hill, make you feel vulnerable and keep you guessing about what you'll experience next, while keeping you entertained with engaging gameplay. to make a good horror game you need that feeling of vulnerability and uncertainty.

Non Euclidean objects and worlds

In virtual reality

IM AN IDEAS GUY HIRE ME NINTENDO

STALKER isn't actively trying to scare you.
It just does because the whole scenario is horrifying. Like, it's a good game atop a good setting.

Attached: stalker dump.jpg (800x683, 259K)

Making more like real life, the real terror.

Attached: Random encounters.gif (609x862, 287K)

There we are

artist name? i remember really liking another one of these

can a horror game have a good and unique gameplay concept without ruining the immersion? if so what are some examples

i want to make a horror game and i dont know i should put gameplay aside in favor of atmosphere

Convince Ito to design the monsters. Just don't let him write the endings.

Attached: 2015-09-29_151806-600x522.png (600x522, 362K)

Gameplay in a horror game needs to work for/with the player, so it can't just be anything. There's a reason certain gameplay is used with horror, and it's because it works. If you decided something like "oh I am gonna make a shmup horror game" it might not work.

we make a game set in the catacombs of paris. you play as a specially trained cop who goes down into the catacombs to pursue and capture criminals who hide there. tension very high with extremely long hallways and ever present echoing ambient sounds (every sound bouncing off the stone walls, water dripping, sound of footsteps splashing in water) it would be crazy

Attached: ujd.png (1054x655, 1.18M)

that makes sense. the thing that bothers me is that the only "interesting" gameplay concepts would favor the player, or give them some kind of protection, which is what ruins some newer horror games imo. like having a gun when being in a haunted mansion would not be nearly as scary as being totally defenseless.

Is there anything in this world as kino as the PT radio?

There's nothing supernatural in it, but I think games set in apocalyptic wastelands count as horror. It reminds me of 28 Days Later.

by impregnating your mother. hopefully she will bring another horror into this world

Attached: aaaa.jpg (1600x900, 167K)

Someone post that japanese webcomic

This sounds fun Idk how well it would work with horror seems like it would get boring real quick

>Just don't let him write the endings.
It's not like he does that with his manga anyway.

by making things more eerie/creepy rather than just SCARY
imo the scorn trailer gives off the vibes im looking for (other than the excessive gore) youtu.be/BKTkCa5nB_8 plus this game isnt really horror

Add more subtle things that aren't important but contribute to the overall atmosphere.

Attached: 1556741471137.gif (466x380, 126K)

There was this oculus rift game pewdiepie played years ago. I believe it was called lost in the rift. It was completely atmospheric. No jump scares or anything cheap. Just pure sound design. Now the graphics were meh at best being an oculus small time developer game. And it was really more of a simulation being about 25 minutes long. But by the end, pewdiepie was really shaken. All that to say this
>stop using jump scares as a main horror element.
>utilize sound dynamics to capture unease
>make the player IMAGINE what could be going on behind that door, do not show them right away.
Something like this
>first person
>walking through a hotel corridor to the front desk to ask about a problem with the heater since the phone is dead
>as the player continues have the ambient music slowly fade, almost imperceptibly
>also the ambient sounds begin to slowly fade
>if the player turns around, an object will be ever so slightly changed, just barely
>as they continue have things quickly move on the very perimeter of their screen for a moment
>make the sound of their footsteps more noticeable
>as they approach the front desk they will notice that someone is leaving the lobby, the last npc to be there
>now alone
>make laughter generate from right in front of the player
>like regular laughter not crazy
>when the player turns the sound stays so that it will shift to one speaker or the other
Just some ideas but that would be scary.

People get upset if you say retard, you think this is the time for horror games?

Try again in 10 years.

Something like that could be used to your advantage though. Imagine having something like what Haunting Ground did or the sanity effects from Eternal Darkness, where you start the character off with guns that are very effective and then as things get more nightmarish or in a particular harrowing situation against an enemy the gun just goes CLICK or jams open against the enemy or their ammo suddenly drops to nothing with no indication that that would happen. Atmosphere is very important, but I feel like a lot of horror games neglect that element of horror that's supposed to feel like getting tricked in an unsettling or unpleasant way, much like comedy is kind of like getting tricked in a pleasant way.

A game where Ron Perlman hunts you down and tries to eat your butt, kinda like Mike Myers only with poop

Attached: Ron Perlman.jpg (447x479, 17K)

>tfw Anomaly is the most stable mod yet with 1 crash per hour

Attached: 1403493472122.gif (160x140, 31K)

More Sonic.

youtu.be/jlaxrYnYl4M

this

>ito is bad at endings because they arent happy endings and dont satisfy me!

yeah, fuck you.

i miss ito storytime threads on Yea Forums

retard

Make more content with a style reminiscent of SCP.

Attached: scp-3127.png (640x803, 281K)

The internet is the problem: We have constant access to everything, including spoilers for scary moments. If you want it to be organic horror, knowing what you're walking into is the bane of the experience.

>Dr. Chang

Attached: image.jpg (2500x2500, 417K)

So much soul. How did they do it and why do other games pale in comparison

not a single fucking horror spooks me more than bloodborne

isn't this just a pic of Baltimore?

Can you imagine how much bigger the game could have been if insight applied to all of it, and more than just "zero doesn't but one+ does?"

Attached: .png (1328x468, 310K)

Wouldn't surprise me if this was real

Attached: 1534828781975.png (1000x800, 44K)

Supernatural can have interesting artwork but it isn't really scary unless you are 10 years old. Seeing familiar places corrupted in some way is a lot creepier for adults.

What is wrong with you?

People are fucking trigger babies now cunt.

This user gets it. The suspense if far more scary than the actual thing almost 100% of the time.

make it funny

Make it spontaneous. Let the player slip on dog shit or something

It is, but only for so long. If there's never any pay off, the suspense disappears over time when you realize the game has no consequences.

Make the enemies sexy.

It was

Attached: xgz9nkR.gif (320x240, 1.37M)

No jumpscares

Horror games always lose me after I die. It just isn't scary when something you fear does it's worst.

You motherfucker.

a game about niggers
the game expects you to pretend they're just like people but you have to look for tells to avoid becoming a victim of black crime

Based and woodpilled

Attached: 15223611280.png (1160x1720, 1.26M)

anyone got any cursed websites to show

Shut the fuck up.

no u

Hunt showdown is good

This got me for the first time in fucking years user. Good shit

more cute girls
more rape
more ero guro
more cute girls

Attached: demonophobic.png (184x284, 14K)

Artists' name is Golucho. You can find them on curiator.com. A bit of NSFW art btw.

Attached: file.png (447x479, 324K)

Societal horror. Rebellion against growing madness where it isn't portrayed or responded to by the world as being a good thing.

Interesting monster designs and sympathetic monsters.

Blind courtship of the unknown.

The fun fact is that shit could actually work.
Imagine you are playing horror and reach the usual zone full of spider web. You prepare to fight Spider enemy and suddlendy this thing appear on your screen.

kill people like this poster

What do you mean? There are various effects at 1, 15, 30, 40, 50, and 60 insight

>Ito endings are bad meme
If he wrote his endings any different it would be bad horror.

What am I missing with this game? Played for 3 hours and it's literally just a crafting game with a furry character, as far as I can tell. How many hours before it gets good?

what? it's a known fact that sex and horror go hand in hand
so why not combine the two?

JUST MAKE A SILENT HILL REMAKE.

Let it be a combined effort of /x/ board
It might be a fantastic memefest

I mean exactly what I said, idiot. If you take issue with something I didn't say then it isn't my problem.

fuck you asshole I just wanted clarification because your shitskin esl grammer didn't make any sense

There's one mission mission with a hunter that is pretty spooky. There's also chainsaw dudes in the sewers. For the most part not spooky though.

There was no problem with my grammar, you wanted an example to be an inclusive list.

/x/ is so schizo it would actually be scary because it would make no sense

Why hasn't anyone made a VR horror game that scans your room yet? Could make for some interesting scares

The thing that brings real horror is the lack of music and the threat of the unknown coming for you especially. Imagine if this thing was coming for you, with it's black, soulless eyes full of an intelligence you couldn't comprehend. What if they were monitoring this thread? What if you were compromised because you read this? I'm sorry user; don't look outside your window.

Attached: awge.jpg (907x604, 37K)

I'd knock that lil shit out. Little noodle arm manlet

>spider lowkey crawls onto screen
>stays for a bit
>quickly jumps down somewhere off-screen
imagine playing in the dark and seeing this shit, holy fuck

I don't have to image it that happens on my desk/screen almost every night. Why does my place have so many spiders?

What are you even supposed to do in Anomaly? Does it have a plot? I don't get why it just dumps you somewhere without a story.
I got a message saying to "come to the bunker" at the start. I can't find one in the map, I'm just wandering around, getting irradiated and spooked.

Attached: 1560917903607.jpg (1600x1200, 692K)

is Lone Survivor any good?

Why do you want to save it?

same here, only they're mostly cellar spiders so i don't mind them that much. not more than two days ago i was just sitting here minding my own business and this one motherfucker bungie'd down from the ceiling like 5 inches on front of my face.

>tfw spider lover so spiders don't scare me
Is something wrong with me? They're honestly pretty cute. I think people judge them because of a few poisonous ones and how ugly they can appear.

Were you abused as a child?

Fuck

EVERYDAY HE'D EAT THE SAME KIND OF FOOD

Made my heart skip a beat - well played user

>Is something wrong with me?
Definitely. Spiders are the literal spawn of satan.

No, I just think they're neat. I have two house spiders, one in my bathroom and one in my kitchen that i'll sometimes pickup and hold if they wanna come out that day.
Over exaggerating honestly.

You can’t ‘over’ exaggerate. You either exaggerate or you don’t. You can’t under-exagerrate.

survival horror needs to return to its roots. What actually IS survival horror? Well, if you actually think about it, they're like oldschool adventure games, except with enemies and it's much easier to die. And it's not just about the use of puzzles in games like Resident Evil. Sure, that's one aspect of it, but also you have to think of the game map as being a giant puzzle as well. Think about how you might play through REmake and how every decision you make, from which route to go, to whether to take a hit or attempt dodging or spending ammo on a zombie that's in your way, to whether or not to spend the time/fuel to burn that zombie, has benefits/consequences for the remainder of your playthrough.

Okay fine then, you're exaggerating. Spiders are cute and bros.

I don't wanna click on it, can someone give me a quick rubdown?

ayy lmao

I wasn’t the spider lover, just an observer.

This is basically Condemned 2 MP. It was very tense.

>You can’t ‘over’ exaggerate.
Lowest IQ statement I've seen in a while.
>You can’t under-exagerrate.
That does not preclude overexaggeration. To overexaggerate something is to exaggerate beyond believability.

> rubdown

You wish, homo

No i'm the guy who likes spiders that you replied to.

>death means actual loss of items and progress
>atmosphere
>minimal weapons for the player, but not 100% defenseless
>sense of dread (like an objective or something)
my 0.02 dorrars

Attached: 1563542983072.jpg (750x562, 84K)

y-you too

subnautica+sunless sea

i'd hate-love it

Attached: ....jpg (840x700, 96K)

Haunting Ground 2
With a challenge mode where Fiona's naked the whole time
And a dogfucking mode
Wait what genre were we talking about again

Attached: 1456298275754.jpg (768x1024, 326K)

>Making more like real life, the real terror.

>Social Anxiety Simulator 2019
>You Are In Debt and Have No Money
>Incel Story
>Public Speaking 2 - powerpoint madness

Attached: 1557174064298.jpg (1024x1024, 123K)

Give up on scaring the player in real time and work on creating scary IDEAS that haunt the player AFTER playing the game. Also, if horror games don't work for you then they don't work for you and you should stop playing them instead of waiting for your brain to undergo impossible physical alterations.

Here's an even better idea:
Do this but make large portions of the plot too vulgur for Youtube so it doesn't get FNAF'd, Bendy'd or Baldi'd.

Attached: 1564286096367.png (750x750, 39K)

3rd person stealth game where you are trapped in a giant castle or villia while being chased by several monsters. Combat is a 3rd person shooter like dead space but ammo is really raw so you should always try to outrun, hide or trap monsters in rooms instead.
You have to collect iteams and solve puzzles like in a point and click adventure game as well to unlock new parts of the castle/villia

then make them retard

Attached: be the change you want to see in the world.jpg (550x290, 20K)

>death means actual loss of items and progress
Without RNG changes to a level this is more annoying than scary
>minimal weapons for the player, but not 100% defenseless
No weapons only tools. As soon as you can even slow down the enemy horror it isn't scary anymore
>sense of dread (like an objective or something)
agreed

>40 and unemployed
>40 and no gf
>40 and still on Yea Forums

Attached: 1288566465193.jpg (591x510, 59K)

Kind of like (and I know it's a meme at this point) Dark Souls, it's a dark fantasy game ... it just happens that is quite horrifying.

Ohhhhhh that was awesome, GG user

Attached: 1548737497550.webm (640x360, 2.85M)

Nice

The best horror game right now is Escape from Tarkov. Sad.

not a horror game

Reward any game designer who made a good horror game with 30 female virgins.

Its really good and unique tho

>you just need to wait it out :)

Kek'd so hard I almost died. Who in their right mind thought audio logs would include emoticons.

I ATE MY OWN SHIT LIL DONNIE HOW DOES THAT MAKE YOU FEEL

Horror games can only go so far, let me explain why true horror can never be replicated in the form of entertainment media
>Human visual field is about 130 degrees horizontal, most of which is peripheral (shadows in the corner of your eye exist here)
>human hearing can detect even the most quiet sounds, but due to processing the location and exact information (such as a whisper) is slightly distorted
>human touch is much like visual, very fine tuned on the hands which we have evolved to use to feel things, but the rest of the body is general information
>human smell can pick up even the faintest smells which the mind will attribute to anything including but not limited to people, places, or objects
>sense of taste is nearly irrelevant for experiencing fright or unease
When all combined, the 5 senses create a powerful information gathering system, and the human brain, when given information that simply does not "add up" it creates an emotional response of tension, unease, nervousness, fright, etc. The scariest demons are the one the mind creates for itself. An example would be looking at a dark figure in a dark room and not knowing what it is, the mind will present to itself the most logical thing it could be observing. When the dark figure begins to move, make sounds, or emit an odd smell, the mind will fabricate ideas and will ultimately conclude with "no fucking clue, but it's not good"
Horror games can emulate scary scenarios, but cannot create true fear

Attached: AssMan4.png (569x563, 261K)

if only we had vr and surround sound

And this is why reading horror is much better than playing/watching it

I fucking HATE this reddit "we" mentality. "We" won't do shit. If you want to get something done do it yourself.

I like it a lot. too bad it's short

VR is still an external media medium. You can use your eyes to look at the "corner" of your vision, taking away the "unknown" factor of slightly distorted objects in your peripheral, effectively cutting out 1/3 of the potentially incorrect information your brain will be presented with to draw it's own conclusions to what you may or may not have seen. To invoke actual fright into a human they must be brought to an instinctual level of sensory perception which is then mentally sharpened to hyperaware levels to detect any information possible to assess a situation. When presented the information that simply does not add up to something possible, the mind will attempt to quantify it and draw a blank. When presented with extremely little or no information at all, it will create stimuli that it will interpret as external just to keep itself from being deprived of valuable information
If you think a VR headset and surround sound headphones will be able to let you experience horror of profound levels then you're sorely mistaken.

>Too many horror flicks in the modern age rely on cheap thrills

That's because every new horror game wants to be the next Twitch fad, and psychological horror games are terrible stream reaction bait.

The obvious counterpoint to this is that the majority of horror subject matter doesn't really exist IRL. You're conflating horror with its IRL equivalent of being scared for your life, they are very different sensations.

you fucking got me
how
ive never been shook by these once, but you got me

Wow, that was cool. Suace?

Fear of the unknown

Attached: Nightmare.jpg (1600x1205, 515K)

You don't. Production costs are too high, so most horror games are going to aim for the lowest common denominator.

All this is true and accepted. But you’re striving for something unachievable. Some games do an excellent job at getting close to the audio/visual phenomena you’re talking about. For me at least. The biggest problem with horror games is burn out. You get used to the game’s mechanics and fear starts to dwindle.

I dunno, all horror I played lately been more frustrating than scary.

Attached: 1448817149350.gif (540x357, 639K)

you dont horror = onions

Aliens, but done right. Specifically, reptilian entities of the negative polarity.

Attached: haunt3.png (1643x884, 906K)

You don't, the genre already peaked.

store.steampowered.com/app/774221

>why play a game about martial arts? just sign up for classes and start training
>why watch a movie about a spy? just apply for a job at your national intelligence agency
>why read a book set in the past/future? just wait for time travel