Okay fags, those yellow cartridges on the Famicom Disk Writer

Okay fags, those yellow cartridges on the Famicom Disk Writer.
If you see the video on operating em or the df retro thing you will see that they're the carts that contain the game that will be written to your blank FDS disk.
Get cart, put on the soft pak slot, put your disk on the drive and shit will be written.
There's zero rom dumps of it, zero descriptions on how it works, zero pictures of the cartridge, and no mention of it's existence whatsoever (at least on the english google).
It's as "lost media" as it gets.
But as will show on next picture, it gets quite obvious that the plastic mold is based on the american NES carts.

Attached: mzcruaq82vhzwxith3vb.jpg (1200x675, 78K)

On this picture of the bios of the disk writer running, you can see this sprite that looks a fuckton like the NES carts.

Attached: large.jpg (480x360, 21K)

So what are the implications then? That they basically could just stick an NES cart into this thing and it would dump the ROM, writing it to the user's disk?

And?

They're probably identical to the famicombox carts, they're just famicom games in a nes style shell. Here is one used for the hotel box.

Attached: famicombox_cart.jpg (608x591, 57K)

Given those cartridges predate the mappers, i would bet the pinout is completely different to map out a 128KB ROM.

It's just bizarre that it's a media, a NINTENDO media nobody knows it exist.

The data in the cartridge is data meant to be written to FDS disks, not to run as a game.

Yeah, but I doubt those cartridges have anything to do with writing, just holding data.

In this picture you can see there is clearly additional hardware and a bios cartridge.

Attached: DiskWriter01b.jpg (523x450, 57K)

This is obvious, but the question is why no one didn't even took a picture of one of those cartridges, much less opened it etc..

You realize you can write FDS disks yourself, right? Probably the carts just contain the raw disk contents and are copied directly over when a duplication is initiated.

It's just bizarre that it's a media, a NINTENDO media nobody knows it exist.
Sweetie everyone here has known about it for decades. Just because zoom zoom only just found out about FDS kiosks thanks to his youtube e-celeb doesn't mean nobody knew about them before.

It sounds like there weren't a ton of them available. They were leased, not owned, and operated by the store owner themselves, not the customer. Nintendo themselves may have even handled switching out the carts and maintaining the machines like some soda vendors do.

I don't think that guy was insinuating that no one knew the kiosks existed, that'd be retarded, what he's (poorly) trying to say is there's little information out there of the internals or how exactly it worked. Virtually any kind of gaming hardware, Nintendo especially, has at least one dedicated autist out there who's deconstructed that thing to the point we could practically remake the thing from scratch given the facilities (and people have in a sense with FPGA consoles) but these kiosks? No one seems to own one, there's little in the way of info, and as far as I know not even any images of a kiosk from beyond the time frame they were operating.
They're a complete mystery from that standpoint.

There's a video of a Nintendo store room in Japan where they have tons of boxed FDSes, Famicoms, and a complete kiosk. So here's a fairly recent picture of a Disk Writer.

Attached: mzcruaq82vhzwxith3vb.jpg (563x1000, 128K)

I'm talking about specifically the yellow cartridges where the games are stored before you write em to the disk that you can clearly see on the right side of the disk writer.
There's not a single mention of THOSE cartridges specifically.

That's definitely cool, but unless one somehow miraculously finds itself in a private collectors hands, who's not a complete dick, we're never going to get much more info than "This thing existed, here's what it looks like."
So by extension, those yellow carts probably aren't ever going to be disassembled or studied beyond "They show up in kiosk photos and clearly serve some kind of purpose with them."

Why do you care what was on the cartridges when you can easily make something functionally equivalent to a disk writer?

>"This thing existed, here's what it looks like."
We don't even have that at the moment.
I bet in the future if someone google for "Famicom disk system writer cartridge", they will be literally let do a archive of this thread.

Because its literally lost history?
Also will be fun if someone finds one of those carts with some prototype game never released, and try to run it on his NES just to the thing either not work or break the NES.

>lost history?
What's lost? We have the games.

Yes, but we don't have the hardware.
We don't have even a picture of it or sites mentioning it.

That statement was for the kiosk as a whole, the carts in question were "They show up in kiosk photos and clearly serve some kind of purpose with them."

As yes, but it's bizarre that it don't seem like people even point out that there are cartridges in the system.

It is kind of weird, might be because not many people have been up close and personal with one to really notice. Actually, this does bring up a interesting point, were what became the NES carts re-purposed whatever-these-carts-are carts, or was it the other way around?
Again, until the day someone that isn't nintendo has possession of a kiosk, sadly that information will die with the company.

It's probably NES first, re purposed to kiosk later, given how expensive it is to come up with the molds and pipelines etc..
But i bet those cartridges were more expensive then the early NES ones because 128KB ROMs.(assuming they didn't had to use four 32KB ROMs)

Knowing hardware, it was probably banked 32KB roms, as it's cheaper to bang together what you have already than to buy something new.
They were more expensive no doubt, but it doesn't really matter as much when you're producing them in limited number for a restricted "user"base.

"memory mapped ROMs" are literally 128KB roms with an extra chip to poke the extra address lines.
It would make more sense to just have just the ROM chip tossed there, and the "mapper" being in the cabined itself.

True, but it also would have made more sense to have the pinout and connector the exact same between the Famicom and NES so they only had one PCB design to manufacture for, but yet here we are.

*pinout and connector for the cartridges

There's a shitton of different PCB designs for the famicom/NES, so it's not that much of a problem for em.

Later on certainly, but they were effectively doubling their efforts for NTSC-J and NTSC-U with the difference in cartridges right from the outset. Would have been cheaper as well to just reuse what hardware didn't need changing.

So how many of these kiosks were out there and what happened to them? Were they only set up in dependable businesses that could be counted on giving them back when Nintendo asked for them? I thought I heard these things were still in service even into the 2000s. You'd think plenty of them would have gotten "lost" when stores shut down or get destroyed in accidents.

>It's just bizarre that it's a media, a NINTENDO media nobody knows it exist.
The FDS disks are old as hell, I have a couple of them since my last travel to japan, even some Potato stores still have some of them working just for the nostalgia/lulz, so the info is there.

Using some runes, i got picture of the eprom cart
Read the thread, its about the yellow master cartridges that you use to write the FDS disks

Attached: eprom.jpg (609x433, 67K)

There is still some kiosks working at some stores, or at least in dendentown in osaka. Obviously thats not official service anymore.

The yellow catridges are just regular roms. Remember the origin of the FDS disks was the lack of rom chips by 1985-1986. There was a unnoficial floppy disk readers by the end of 80s beginning of 90s like Doctor SF3 or UFO and you just need the regular catridge game to make copies. Maybe they just change the eeprom catridge

Attached: Doctor SF3 SNES s-l300.jpg (300x225, 13K)

It's a quite different deal.
The ROMs in the yellow cartridges are meant to be written to FDS disks that are a quite completely different standard from a regular ROM.
Also i imagine those would be more expensive, as they need to carry 128KB of data.