Stealth game gives you wallhack upgrades or lets you "tag" enemies

>stealth game gives you wallhack upgrades or lets you "tag" enemies
Why destroy all the tension and therefor a huge part of the stealth genre's appeal?

Attached: 205100_20190726172718_1.png (1920x1080, 2.53M)

I miss the first game's Dark Vision. It actually let you see which items were interactive, which was a pretty big deal for me.

I haven't played 2 yet. What did they change for the worse? Does it do anything better than the first game?

The story is worse, the hub is worse, the setting is very slightly worse

Gameplay and level design are better, though.

Really, all of the Dishonored series is worth playing including the DLCs (except maybe Dunwall Trials)

Tagging enemies is absolutely fine in games if the enemies have somewhat random patrol patterns, although if I remember right the enemies in Dishonored don't.

because without these wallhacks first person stealth becomes a mess
>vision reduced to 1/3 of real life
>no proximity hearing to sense guards
>cant go prone, hide in bushes or inside small crevices

>inb4 thief
thief had shadows which were just invisibility zones

You point about players being handicapped in their perception fails to take into consideration that enemy AI's tend to be fucking retarded in their own perception.

>playing dishonored with upgrades, and I'm 70% sure indicators of attention as well
it's your own fault, dishonored is alright when played without them

Serkonia is way more interesting setting than "lmao shit and piss" Dunwall.

The Last of Us is a good example of a game being improved greatly by removing the wallhack mechanic. There were some incredibly tense moments when I played on the hardest difficulty that disables it, especially during the university level.

Because it's more fun in a video game to keep moving forward as opposed to backtracking every 14 seconds just to make sure Watchman Andy won't be coming your way and walking in on your kill.

thats "listen mode" in that game yeah?

Last of us has the big advantage of being a TPS which makes up for the short comings of first person stealth.

Definitely agree that no TPS stealth game needs any sort of see through walls mechanic.

Yeah that's what they called it. It felt like something that should have only been available on easy mode and it's a shame you have to beat the game at least once to unlock the mode without it instead of it being available from the start.

thats true but AI hardly matters when you have no way of detecting stationary enemies behind corners and such.
third person stealth bypasses this by letting you peek with camera where your character doesnt see

>thats true but AI hardly matters when you have no way of detecting stationary enemies behind corners and such.
If the game has mirrors then is just matter of use one.
Heck, even a polished knife blade works

>thats true but AI hardly matters when you have no way of detecting stationary enemies behind corners and such.
Leaning mechanics my guy. There's a multi-plater game called Intruder that also has a moveable camera stick that provides a function too.

>vision reduced to 1/3 of real life
High resolution and a high FOV will give you most of what you could see without turning your head in real life.
>no proximity hearing to sense guards
This is just markedly false, as a large number of games on the market across all genres will help you identify someone's position based on hearing their chatter or their footsteps. Many games also support capturing and playing back sound in full 3D, so saying you can't hear guards through walls is just a flat out lie.
>can't go prone, hide in bushes, or inside small crevices
Now you're just complaining about specific games, because you'd have to be an imbecile to think this is something inherit to the genre.

Attached: 1469021173610.jpg (468x542, 199K)

Stealth games are about using information advantages to turn a situation in your favor. Third person/overhead camera, tagging, visible vision cones, wallhacks, situational invisiblity (camo, shadows), radar, etc- all contribute to this.

The strength of your tools dictates how fluidly/recklessly you can approach a situation and remain safe.

Wallhacks don't break all stealth games. The new Hitman games have it and it's basically just like a real time map that helps you track NPCs. This is useful because Hitman is about timing and planning rather than tension.

Not all stealth games are about tension. "Stealth" is such a broad label that some stealth games are about empowerment rather than disempowerment. In the case of Dishonored, the former is the goal.

Wall hacks and tagging are used because they want to make a game that takes a beautiful screenshot but also realize all that clutter impedes visual clarity, so they give you a vision that takes away all the garbage so you can actually see.

Attached: What-I-think-I-sound-like.jpg (640x657, 145K)