>Shenmue III
>Dragon Quest XI
>Ghost Wire Tokyo
>Granblue Fantasy Versus
>SMT V
>Soul Caliber VI
>S.T.A.L.K.E.R. 2
>The Outer Worlds

Name a more succesful and versatile engine.

Attached: Unreal-Engine-Small-Logo.png (602x662, 56K)

Other urls found in this thread:

store.steampowered.com/app/438100/VRChat/
twitter.com/NSFWRedditVideo

It's pretty good yeah, probably the best out there right now. No one else is trying to be "The engine everyone should be making games on" besides Unity, who's obviously losing
I just want them to better optimize it for the Switch. Better looking games run better than UE4 games on the system. It could be better.

It's really good and I love working with it.
The tools for artists are great, you can very easily make tileable textures look like they aren't thanks to the insanely powerful material editor. And do a lot of other real neat shit

Why was 3 so bad

It wasn't, it was just lot less accessable thanks to its tools and everyone memed it looked the same.

He's using unreal engine in anyway he can

id tech 6 is amazing, I wish more games would use it

i miss source games

Just got done working on my game for the evening. Great engine. As a long-time hobbyist level designer with limited coding abilities, it's the perfect engine. Besides two C++ classes in high school, I'm a mostly self-taught web dev by trade. I understand the logic behind programming, but I don't have time to fully learn a language and its syntax. Blueprints and all the other easy to use systems have allowed me to make a full game. Still trying to wrap my head around the networking aspect, but it's only a matter of time and my only excuse is that it won't be "fun" to implement.

Its extremely easy to use, much easier than even Unity.

repent zoomer

Attached: 8D7D4710-097C-4B2D-950A-986F008FD1B4.jpg (1280x720, 91K)

It's objectively one of the best engines simply due to how accessible and widespread it is.

UE4 is the closest a game development has gotten to its own Photoshop.

Unity objectively has a bigger market share. Unreal also shamelessly aped their UI and business model.

Attached: jontronathon.jpg (225x225, 5K)

hahaha yeah no
keep buying your engine piece by piece

Attached: 1539002370147.gif (400x314, 1.32M)

>no arguments
UE was borderline unusable until 4

>*Texture streams slowly in front of you*

I call bullshit, indies would've moved years ago.

Unreal 1 and 2 were completely fine. I personally never worked with 3, so I won't vouch for it, but given how widespread it was in its day, I'd argue it too was fine. Regardless, we're talking about 4, which is great. Like OP and others have stated, it's extremely successful, versatile, easy to use, and powerful. That said, there's nothing inherently wrong with Unity, and if you prefer it, great. You came into this thread trying to start shit in typical Yea Forums fashion. Your post was completely worthless. Not everything has to be a fight. If you love Unity so much, go make a thread about it.

That's retarded developer.
Unity asset and texture streaming and overall optimization and draw call shit is way way way worse than unreal which is why AAA don't really see them viable.
You don't notice cause the visual fidelity put into unity games on avarage is lower thanks to big indie user base.

Game Maker Studio

Attached: BD0C1FCB-B321-4211-9448-B35968F08E7A.jpg (28x28, 811)

>for 3d
Other engines are better for 2d though. Just try it yourself if you dont believe me.

MT Framework still my favorite game engine

Why reinvent the bycicle?
Unity was first available for free way before ue4 was so indies flocked to it cause they're jews.
When ue4 became available the damage was done indies had already been using unity and were reccomending it to others. Even now people rarely reccomend ue4 to eachother unless they know their stuff.
Majority of indies are just 0 experience people fucking around never releasing a game.

What caused a lot of games that used UE3 to have that distinct look? You know what I'm talking about, they looked like they were made of wet plastic.

Epic also takes a cut for using their engine.

80% of indie games are 2D and/or pixelshit, which Unreal isn't suited for. It can do it, but there are better engines for that.
In terms of 3D, the only reason to choose Unity is if you're already fluent in C#.

The unreal engine is actually awful, especially the last two numbered iterations but okay newfag.
I understand that you're just a shill and advertising on the majority anti-epic board.

Rape is illegal, user.

So what? Everyone offering something good takes a cut.

What are your favourite Unreal Engine games per version?
For me, it's:
>Unreal Engine 1
Deus Ex
>Unreal Engine 2
Postal 2
>Unreal Engine 3
Mirror's Edge
>Unreal Engine 4
Dragon Quest XI

Same reason most UE4 games have the UE4 look. It comes pre-packaged with a decent set of post-processing effects and shaders. Sure you can change them, but if Gears of War sold a trillion copies with this specific look, maybe people like it and my game can sell a trillion too if I stick to what people obviously like.

That and they hadn't adopted a physically-based rendering pipeline yet, so shiny was the best way to make normal maps pop.

>neet nintendo gamer has joined the server

All ue4 games look the same as well. You can tell immediately.
The issue is it has input lag up the ass. Everything looks detached and feels floaty when playing.

Most console ports and nintendo 3rd party games use this shit engine. It doesn't mean it's good.

I'm sorry, sometimes I just get lost in the moment.

Attached: 1536790027827.jpg (540x651, 79K)

>Unity objectively has a bigger market share
In what? Total number of games? I'm sure it does since assetflips count as much as something like AC7, but in terms of notable games or straight up revenue generated by games made with it? Not even close.

I think UE4's "look" is harder to identify than UE3's was. You could always tell you were playing a UE3 game, but i don't think it's as much the case with UE4.

I genuinely thought that new EA Star Wars game was made on Frostbite 3 until I listened to an interview and was shocked to find out that it's actually UE4.

>Unreal Engine 1
Deus Ex/Unreal
>Unreal Engine 2
Killing Floor
>Unreal Engine 3
Styx: Master of Shadows
>Unreal Engine 4
Battlefleet Gothic: Armada 1 and 2/ Hatred

I thought the same about Source games and thought I could identify it instantly. Was surprised to learn that Titanfall 2 was a Source game.

My engine

>Unreal Engine 1
Rune
>Unreal Engine 2
Bioshock / UT2K4
>Unreal Engine 3
Holy fuck, looking through the wikipedia page there are a shit ton more games than I thought
Ummm Alice: Madness Returns
>Unreal Engine 4
Bloodstained

NINTENDO, HIRE THIS MAN!

It's a great fucking engine. Objectively.
Get your pleb non dev views outta here and go talk about smash like rest of the brainlets.

>Demo simulator

I agree with all of this. But to add on, UE4 gets shit on precisely because it's so easy to develop for. You've got people downloading the engine, slapping some free assets they downloaded together, hooking up some basic blueprints, and calling it a day without changing any of the default lighting/post-processing settings. For those of us that actually care about what we shit out, it's very easy to make UE4 not look like "UE4."

This.

The "UE4 look" comes from how easy it is to just to make shit using the default settings.

Squad runs and looks like pure sheer shit for how much it pc it requires

Same with Post Scriptum.

Attached: L9MlEPw.jpg (807x659, 37K)

Something with the foliage it just looks plain taken from a 2000 game, feels sometimes im playing DOOM 98 with those trees, even fucking Stalker Anomaly has better trees and foliage

You're not a dev. This engine sucks.
You will die alone and poor incel neet.

The engine wasn’t bad but unless you made a stylistic game, every more "realistic" looking one has this unreal 3 look to it.

not him but

Attached: 1548987556137.jpg (1080x540, 80K)

I like the good stuff you could do with 4 but jesus fuck it suffers from the same shit that Unity suffers from. Which is a lot of god damn retards making absolute garbage with it that don't even bother to do away with the "generic Unreal game" look they all have.

That's what comes with engines that are extremely accessible.

Which is fine and true, but that's a people problem, not an engine problem.

>You're not a dev.
No but the devs seem to agree, as you can see by so many games using it.

Brainlet here how do I git gud with Blueprints?

>forgetting to mention Batman Arkham series

Right click, search for what you're trying to do. Sometimes turning off the context sensitive checkbox or whatever it's called can help too.
As long as you have a basic understanding of programming logic you should be okay. If you don't I'd download Grasshopper by google. I think it's focused on javascript, but I played with it a bit out of curiosity and eventually it gets into the fundamentals of programming.

>Grasshopper by google
thanks, I'll give it a shot.

Attached: 1529137405914.gif (200x200, 2.77M)

Anyone have any advice dealing with GameStates, GameInstances, GameModes, and player logins? I think I've really fucked my project up and I'm worried it's going to take months to correct it. I'm not sure why, but this is the one thing that has left me utterly confused. It's been over a year now and I just don't want to deal with it, but I know I have to if I don't want to release a broken mess.

Games were better when developers built an engine that was actually suited for what the game was aiming to be and then used that for their development.

no the engines were limited and shitty by modern standards.
The reason devs dont make their own engines any more because it is not cost or time effective.
It takes a decade or two to make an engine that can compete with ue4 or unity or even blunderyard. And thats not with existing team, you need to hire A LOT of specialized workforce that won't work for anything less than the pay you'd expect from someone who is on top of their field.
It is just not worth it.

But the games were way better optimized.

Bethesda owning id has absolutely destroyed the idea of a id Tech 3-esqe renaissance, only Bethesda games get to use it, and mod support ended with a barely-unlocked Rage, as opposed to how shit was open as hell mod-wise and also on a time-release open source contract back when they ran with Activision

Unity

What do you mean by dealing?
GameInstance is created and used for when your game is run, Gamemode defines what player controller and gamestate and gameinstance to use.

And GameState is used for information you want all clients to know, like score and whatnot.

Unless you are Batman Arkham Knight or Mortal Kombat 11. Holy shit. Those games visuals are the pinnacle this generation! Unless you count RDR2.

Yeah I guess that was a vague question. The way they all work together is something I have a hard time with. Actually I think my problem is I started my project before fully understanding them, and now I have to go back and rework everything so it functions the way its intended and I don't want to.

Why do some of these games sometimes look so glossy though? It's probably only in some cases but you can always tell when a game is made in UE4. I'm not a dev so I don't know what causes this. I don't really know, but, you can tell that something is wrong with the lighting in games like PUBG, SCUM, or Insurgency Sandstorm, or games that aren't even out like the ones here like VTMB2, Star Wars and Gears 5. Compared to some games in Cryengine 5 like KCD, Hunt Showdown and War of Rights, lighting looks kind of more realistic and believable on those, don't really know anymore examples of this because devs barely use it so i could be wrong.

It really blows my mind that MK11 uses Unreal 3 and it's one of the best looking games ever. How the fuxk do they do it?

>muh olden days
fellow boomer here, get with the times, grandpa
I'm not going to spend a year or two making my own engine when there are plenty of options available that allow me to produce, at a minimum, a 1080p 60 FPS game with little headache outside of asset creation. I swear, everyone dev thread there's one of you "dude like just make your own engine" idiots spouting bullshit. There's nothing wrong with doing that for the experience, but if you want to make an engine, make an engine. If you want to make a game, make a game. It's like saying "I need a vehicle to get me from point A to point B. Better make my own car." Nigga just buy a car and put an air freshener in it.

Man I wish Valve weren't such complete lazy fucks and finally release Source 2 to the public.

Already been addressed in this thread. See threads stemming from

MK11 doesn't look good at all

It’s a great engine. I have no bad things to say about it.

No user you have to put tens of thousands of hours into making your own engine on top of the tens of thousands to make your game to appease a handful bitter geriatrics that will just whine that it's not as good as Doom engine and go back to playing Doom wads anyway

I'm hoping that maybe it'll finally come out when their VR titles get released.
Big maybe.

So because gears of war looked glossy that now is the standard for post processing and shading on this engine? I guess it kind of makes sense but it still looks like ass sometimes on other games, not very realistic at all.

kek

No that was more for UE3. The reason a lot of UE4 games look similar is it's easy to develop for, the default lighting/post-process settings are decent, there's an asset store so people can just put shit together.
That's basically it. It's much easier to abandon the UE4 look than it was the UE3 look. It's just that there's less incentive to do so, especially for uninspired projects.

all shit

Unreal Engine 5 when?

@471907984
great post user
amazing contribution to the board
my god i'm awestruck

Attached: 1541129846173.jpg (254x198, 6K)

when fortnite stops being profitable

Next generation

you're shit too

It's definitely about time, but I'd guess around the release of PS5/whatever the new Xbox is. Scarlet? They still put out consistent updates to UE4, and it still holds up. So based purely on timeframe, we're due for another major iteration, but in terms of functionality there isn't much reason to go to 5 yet.

Makes sense, guess making everything too easy will have a lot of shit as a side effect, I still like these games though, no matter how they look.

All arkham games used UE3. Even Akrham Knight

10 years at least.
You're absolutely delusional, UE4 is still updated constantly and receiving a new physics engine in a few months. UE3 came out 8 years before UE4, and nowadays companies have switched to the service model rather than monolithic releases. At absolute best we'd be about halfway through UE4's life, but more realistically there won't be a UE5 until 2030.

>open Unreal engine
>wait a little bit
>close Epic store launcher

>10 years
>2030
Yeah, we're the delusional ones. Also you completely ignored when I said
>So based purely on timeframe, we're due for another major iteration, but in terms of functionality there isn't much reason to go to 5 yet.
UE4 has been around since 2012. At the absolute latest we're looking at 2023-2025.

Attached: 1546995061312.gif (300x169, 358K)

ue4 now is basically ue5 compared to what ue4 was at launch.

Yes. Not even anti-Epic, but yes.

See you in 2025 to laugh at you, smoothbrain.

Attached: 1561455931008.png (485x443, 26K)

>(((Silverman)))
Have fun being killed by doors

I don't like the game store and what they do but I love the engine.

>
I have no problem with it and I don't buy into or care about the PC platform wars. Just another stupid bullshit thing that doesn't actually affect anyone for Yea Forums to argue about. I just don't want it eating resources if I don't need it to be open.

Shit I totally fucked that quote up. This was meant for

>Sure you can change them, but if Gears of War sold a trillion copies with this specific look, maybe people like it and my game can sell a trillion too
This is why TimeShift's art style was changed to be less steampunk and more Unreal 3 when the game was scrapped last minute and retooled.

There is no point.

Can UE4 import Blender's shaders?

I know there's an "Import Materials" checkbox when importing models, but I've never used it and I don't know how in-depth it is or how much it carries over.

It sometimes opens even when you close the engine

So how much work you actually do in Blender?
Mesh, armature, rigging, and then materials can just be whatever? How about painting textures? You do that in Blender or do you just do a UV unwrap with checkers, save it onto a file and then do it in Photoshop or whatever?

it's shit and most games on it are shit

WORST API KNOWN TO MAN

BUGGIEST EDITOR KNOWN TO MAN

USE ID TECH

FUCK GRAPHICS AND FUCK DEFERRED LIGHTING THAT JUST ENDS UP BEING BAKED ANYWAY

NO YOU'LL HAVE TO REMAKE THEM IN THE EDITOR

here
My background is more in level design, but of course I have to dabble in Blender (and previously Maya XSI Mod Tool and Milkshape if we're going way back). That said, my modeling experience is fairly limited. I generally just do what you said. Unwrap it, export the wireframe template or whatever, and photoshop it from there. I have been playing around with Blender's 3D painting tool, though. That said, UV and texture work are probably my least favorite elements in the entire game dev workflow. No problem with normal and alpha maps, but the actual unwrapping and painting process is such a pain in the ass for me. I finally got my head around seams, but it still sucks. Thankfully most of the things I have to model can just use a seamless, repeating texture, but I'm autistic when it comes to having seam edges where the texture doesn't completely align.

*block your path*

Attached: 1200px-Godot_logo.svg.png (1200x485, 45K)

Yeah....... sad

Attached: GxArvL-6VJxrJvyQVYwk-vGacG6bjDTm8_YAbgJ7GYs.png (600x600, 392K)

Cool, thanks. I'm trying to make a VR game inspired by Madness Combat and while I can easily do meshes, doing material/texture work in Blender never goes the way I want. Might as well just do it like you, unwrap things and then move on to Photoshop and UE4.

Attached: 1550662126162.png (1543x1029, 51K)

your path gets blocked enough by entity-hierarchy-oriented programming

lol

Attached: 1539901552476.gif (256x192, 1.39M)

I wonder how an Elder Scrolls game would be like on it.

It does

>>Kingdom Hearts 3
>>FFVII Remake

You know something is fucked up when Square Enix uses unreal over their in-house Luminous engine, which was used for only ONE disaster of a game

Yeah, if you're making things solely for the purpose of being in a game, I've never seen much point doing complete material/shader work in the modelling program before-hand. You can do rough or even straight-up flat color textures to help separate things out, but otherwise why do twice the amount of work when the in-engine is the only thing that matters at the end of the day?

By the way things looking, Valve completely stopped trying, the only real game they have links with (Boneworks) seems to run on Unity.
Looks like Unity and UE4 are the only ones left that matter.

IM BROKE NIGGA BROKE

VR is the thing that got me into modding game dev. So far I've only done porting over avatars and worlds in VRChat and the bulk of the work was done in Blender, which is what I found confusing when trying to do something from scratch. I did manage to do a couple Madness assets (they're really, really simple, but hey, that's Madness) and the worst bit has been trying to port them over.

neither unity nor unreal engine have proper mouse support

nani

tranny engine switch to unity you faggots

>translate the documentation to japs
>japs start using it
Is it really that hard to learn English?

Ah, well I don't know anything about VRChat or its pipeline. For that purpose, it very well could be better to do everything in Blender and then export, but I have no idea. Side question, are you Krinkels or a fan? I know he/you posts here sometimes.

>UE4
>More tranny than Un*ty
store.steampowered.com/app/438100/VRChat/
Today I will remind them.

>are you Krinkels or a fan? I know he/you posts here sometimes.
wow wow wow, just a fan. I've been trying to shill VR to krinks a few times, but I think it will be years before they're done with Project Nexus 2, and I don't think he's gonna start a second game anytime soon. VR is also a very niche thing, and even though I think it would be perfect for a Madness game, you're not making money on it, at least not the kind that justifies the effort, and I think while Krank wants to make his game, he stated once or twice that he doesn't intend to work on a game nobody plays.

Stalker 2 should use xray engine

>he stated once or twice that he doesn't intend to work on a game nobody plays.
Which pretty much describes most VR games.
Funny thing is nobody wants to work on those that ARE played either. Pavlov dev had a meltdown and has been hinting at moving entirely to Quest. VRChat devs do nothing but break stuff and rely on community to fix it.

>input lag (baffling considering all you need to do is query the OS)
>to make matters worse it's unpredictable input lag
>buffering on a positional input device
>convert the mouse input to floating-point, multiply it by an arbitrary number, and cast back to integer before going once more to floating point, the end result being that very small mouse movements actually get zeroed out
>multiplies mouse position delta by time delta so that your mouse movement is framerate-dependent and frame hitches (which always happen in a garbage-collected engine) cause you to suddenly end up looking hundreds of degrees away from where you wanted to look - an especially big problem in unity
i can't say this proper mouse support

why can't they just get their fucking act together

Gotcha. Still, I think it's cool you're trying to do something with Madness. I love that shit.

Go back

simple scenes with fixed perspective let them put a lot of focus and polish on the character animations

>UE1
Unreal Tournament
>UE2
Splinter Cell Chaos Theory
>UE3
Mass Effect
>UE4
Ace Combat 7

Yeah, I've been burnt out on most of things, but Madness still gets my blood pumping, and it's one of the few things that didn't die over the years. Seems like an easy enough first project too.

Frostbite

>versatile

Attached: 5d4cdc73c76f127d70fdae288383bc63.jpg (400x319, 20K)

Tried it and couldn't figure out how to disable aliasing, shadows, shader effects etc. Ended up just building my own engine for half the bloat, zero the cost.

Attached: 1521108039472.jpg (269x267, 36K)

sports (all of them)
fps (battlefield, medal of honor etc.)
racing (N4S)
etc.
etc.
etc.

It's so versatile EA can make anything they need with it.

EA can, its a disaster for others.

read the manual

the what?

it literally killed dragon age and mass effect, ea is slowly abandoning that crap for unreal (new star wars game)

>blaming the failures of dragon age and mass effect on the engine.
The engine is fine, shit devs.

Really hated how games looked in unreal 2 and 3, something about the lighting I think. 4 fixed this, and looks better in a variety of styles.

Name a better looking UE3 game
Shame 4 has more input delay than 3 even after tweaks yet fighting games still use it when 3 is still viable

Attached: 20181212160832_1.jpg (1920x1080, 530K)

the engine is shit, even bf died with frostbite 2

>flocked to it cause they're jews.
How is avoiding giving a big company a huge amount of money for an engine license jewish?
Or is the most redpilled thing to do is take a huge chunk out of your budget to pay a massive business for a license to use their engine?

>Octopath Traveler
>a fucking 2D game made in an engine for 3D GAMES
Why.

Attached: king crimson.png (719x802, 788K)

Yeah it's pretty alright.

Attached: 1563920417847.png (398x400, 202K)

Those are all in the post settings, man.

>>The Outer Worlds
Really? Gonna be a shitshow fron the technically inept Obsidian

Everything about id 6 makes it sound like an absolute nightmare in terms of drag-and-drop the not-zip file modding, and an unmoddable TES isn't one anyone gives a shit about, but if they made it into an RPGFPS spin-off like Dark Messiah, that'd be sick, think DM design/presentation-wise, but Hexen character/gameplay-wise, i.e. the tanky dude is a Nord with the greatest default punch ever. There's a lot of cool lore shit that would make for a nice spectacle magic/melee FPS, kinda like what Nehrim and lots of other mods try to do, only to find out that Gamebryo is not the engine for overly-complex drama

I'd actually wanna see if Raven could pull something like that off with id, since they've already worked with MG easing them into id 6, and Arkane is kinda running out of steam, either because they've hit side-game status now, or they're running out of ideas on how to reinvent the console-friendly FPSRPG. Bethesda could probably buy them easily if all they want is the Raven logo and anyone else not working on COD maps, might as well get the other id affiliates while you're at it

One of Rage's biggest problems was (other than OpenGL driver shit) Bethesda locking the game down, both marking the end of customizable id games, and making a lot of vital console commands a bitch to enter or null, a lot were console-centric things being left in that made the PC version look/run worse than it did, the options menu was the most shameful shit in an id game, and was clearly the result of a very Carmack-less id with Bethesda doing this shit for whatever reason, probably piracy-related. Nvidia had to post a manual texture fix to ease the problem, and a couple autoexec generators worked, even though they had to be constantly reloaded, and by the time they released an unlocked but unmoddable update, everyone was long over the game after a couple years of hating it. 6 being the better engine is why they're going to stay cocky about licensing and user-undriendliness

Attached: rage 2015-02-10 10-47-56-68_result.jpg (1920x1200, 768K)

All unreals are great, but this engine gave me the most fun in my life.

Attached: images.jpg (318x158, 6K)

Source is great but damn you can feel how archaic it is compared to everything else.

Still perfect for FPS though.

>one hit wonder the engine

you're just incompetent

fucking ue4 still doesn't have civilized tools for greyboxing a map

rapid development my ass