It's stupid as fuck that literally every shooting game on the market lets you withstand 900 bullets without even...

It's stupid as fuck that literally every shooting game on the market lets you withstand 900 bullets without even fucking flinching.

It first started bothering me when games decided they wanted to pretend they were more realistic, specifically when GTA San Andreas made the jump to GTA 4. Suddenly, everything was lifelike, including all the animations and graphics, but your character could still eat 5 shotgun shells to the face and chest without so much as blinking.

Even RDR2, practically worshiped for its adherence to realism, has you play as a bullet-resistant super human (although he realistically responds to punches to the face and takes a great amount of damage when falling from his horse). Why the fuck does eating a can of beans or having a smoke break in the middle of a fire fight relieve me of the 9 revolver bullets embedded in my ribcage? You're telling me that I have to clean my gun, feed my horse, and wipe my ass in the game like it's real-fucking-life, but the metal shrapnel lodged in my kidneys and lungs is just hunky dory?

The Last of Us is the closest to have gotten it right, making you violently lunge and take a huge amount of damage when a bullet hits you, but it's still ridiculous how many bullets you can take even in that game. Do you know what ONE bullet can do you to you in real life? It's fucking stupid, and if games (action RPG's specifically) want to start acting grown-up like they're movies, then they're going to have to address this huge fucking plothole that every game has. The plothole of being able to take thousands of bullets like they're nothing.

Attached: bullet sponge.jpg (640x640, 127K)

Other urls found in this thread:

youtube.com/watch?v=vjbA_7zVMrA&t=40s
youtube.com/watch?v=m8PAWO4Y_rY
anyforums.com/
twitter.com/SFWRedditVideos

Hi, it's me OP. And I'm not done complaining. I love complaining.

Look, no one wants to get one-shotted from out of nowhere and have to restart a level. Hell, I'm fine with my guy being able to take a few bullets and make it through the mission, but it's ridiculous when you're able to get pummeled with them.

There are ways you can implement realistic bullet damage in games that can still make it fair. It doesn't take a lot of imagination to think of solutions. I'll describe one right now.

ill just wait for your response then bc theres some issues with this idea, especially being in a game like gta 4

WTF WHY DO GAMES NOT HAVE A "ROCK IN MY SHOE" METER

Siphon Filter had a Danger meter, and if you were in the line of fire for too long, your danger increased. If you had high danger you were likely to get shot. Why the fuck don't more games do this? This is such an elegant and ***immersive*** (forgive me) alternative to being a bulletproof demigod. It just bothers the fuck out of me when I get shot in a game and I sit there thinking "HUH, well my character is now in the most pain they've ever been in and they should be horribly injured. that would make for some dramatic and spectacular action, and definitely increase the tension in this scene" But no, game designers tend to be lazy when it comes to realism.

Fucking... Hotline Miami of all games would end the mission when you got shot ONCE, but the checkpoints were liberally placed everywhere and the gameplay loop was fast enough to facilitate getting shot once and dying.

>Siphon Filter
based

I'm not even asking for full-blown realism. I'm not asking for every time you get shot you have to go to the emergency room for a long, arduous cutscene. I just want movie logic.

Action heroes in movies can take a bullet or two and survive to fight another day. Action heroes in movies DON'T get shot more than 5 times in one afternoon and live to tell the tail. It's fucking stupid!

Autism.

If you want to play a realistic shooter, then join the army.

True but they also tend to do lots of shit that should get them killed like running through a hail of bullets that they really should have been hit by, but aren't. Or surviving ludicrously high falls

There are lots of games where one bullet to the head is lethal and 3 or 4 to anywhere else is lethal.

Maybe try some of those games instead of whining like a babby.

Play Arma 3 OP.

>What is Red Orchestra 2 and RO2: Vietnam?

If you have not played it and are complaining about shit like this you have only yourself to blame OP.

inb4 someone tells me that I used the wrong tail. I'm gonna complain some more.

Fucking... In Resident Evil 5, getting hacked or punched made you SOAR backwards, but there are moments in the game where you fight enemies with guns. And I distinctly remember there being NO damage animation when you got shot. Fucking, you would just see the blood spray out of your shoulders and your health meter would decrease, like... not even a quarter of the way down?

Every fucking game makes you take the same amount of damage when you get shot as when you get punched in the face.

I can buy that your character can get punched in the face hundreds of times and not die. Movie logic, you know? But getting shot should be treated like an ordeal. In some games, you take MORE damage from melee attacks! It's stupid as fuck!

ok name some

Playing TLOU on Grounded difficulty made me frustrated occasionally because in that difficulty Joel would die from only 1-2 shots, which is fine, but shots to enemies would require at least 4-5.

I remember remarking that it would be literally more difficult than real life.

I'm sorry but I just love complaining, and what's more, I'm complaining about action *adventure* games specifically. Not tactical / army games.

I'm not really a fan of tactical / army games admittedly. It's just not the backdrop that interests me when I play a game. I like crime / adventure games.

Play PUBG or Arma if you want realistic bullet damage.

I mean, I don't really play many FPS. But...:

PUBG - Headshots are lethal. Shotguns are OHKO. A handful of bullets from any weapon kill you.

Squad - Game is basically built around realism. Headshots are kills. Everything else kills you too.

BF:V - Similar damage mechanics to PUBG

SCUM - Headshots kill you (even with throwing weapons like spears). 3 or 4 shots anywhere kills you too.

All I've got for now because I don't really play shooters.

Look guys, WW2 and tactical FPS' aren't what I'm into. I want to see games like Mafia, or TLOU, or GTA, or Uncharted, or Fallout, or RDR, or any other action RPG you can think of adopt these mechanics that I've described.

I see what you're saying; I hear you. But I can sooner believe that every bullet misses you because you got incredibly lucky than my protagonist gets hit with 100 bullets and walks into the next cutscene without mentioning it at all.

I think there are GTA mods for realistic damage.

And Fallout has realistic combat overhaul mods too.

Once upon a Christmas I tried to install realistic damage mods for GTA V but I couldn't figure it out and gave up. A lot of the games I complain about would be pretty much perfect to me if they fixed this ONE issue.

Never give up OP

OP here and I actually made a realistic combat mod for New Vegas and it got a TON of downloads and coverage. You may have actually heard of it. It's called Awesome Crippling Effects. I can't play without it, and I always use damage-increasing mods in conjuction with it.

youtube.com/watch?v=vjbA_7zVMrA&t=40s

some stalker mods make it pretty much a one hit death type deal. misery comes to mind but its a tad shit only being able to move like a fat fuck that can only run a few meters before needing to stop and catch you breath (but realistic when taking into account that most Yea Forums posters are FAT fucks)

>tell the tail
Lol

>(but realistic when taking into account that most Yea Forums posters are FAT fucks)

I think you meant to capitalize "ARE" but it's funnier to read it the way you wrote it. They are FAT fucks indeed.

not every game is like that

stop projecting fatty

Go play Hotline Miami

One bullet will kill you by default

All action-RPG's are like that. Everyone brings up Arma 2.

Look, I played Arma 2 and it was *okay*, okay? I respect its adherence to realistic bullet damage, but my interest kind of stops there. I play crime / action games with a story.

Mentioned above. Believe it or not, there are times in Hotline Miami where you can get shot and not die. It's random, but once in a blue moon you will get shot, blood will squirt out of you, but you'll miraculously keep trucking on. It's very rare but it's kind of a thrill seeing it happen; knowing that you could have and SHOULD HAVE died in that moment.

People can be shot twenty times and not even be incapacitated by their injuries, or they can die fairly quickly after being shot in the toe once. It is hard to predict how the human body will react to trauma. Guns being magic death wands isn't really all that much more realistic than having protagonists be able to shrug off a bullet wound.

It's still fine to prefer having really lethal firearms in games, of course. I don't think there's much benefit to be had in actually trying to model injuries in a realistic fashion, so it should come down to what suits the game's tone and mechanics.

I've got an even better idea than the "Danger Meter" mentioned previously.

It's the same basic concept but instead of having a meter, you have cues that tell you that you're in danger and should run away from the gun fire.

... a bullet will whiz past the screen and the screen will shake and maybe blink white in a split second. maybe the music will start jumping up and get scarier as you are closer and closer to getting shot.

Ludonarrative Dissonance? that's a fancy phrase. Maybe that's what you're experiencing.

Don't we play video games to escape into a fantasy world? Gaming in this 8th Gen is already waaay too realistic and life-like for my taste. I want MORE fantasy, not more realism. I think the problem you are describing was sorted out 30 years ago, btw. they call it "Difficulty Levels". if you wanna be one shot, pick Extreme Hard Mode and go for it.

>It is hard to predict how the human body will react to trauma

Sure, you can say that, and you can say that people have survived more than 20 bullet wounds (and you're right), but you're needlessly playing devil's advocate for freak occurrences. The fact is, getting shot in video games is CARTOONISHLY trivialized. There is no good reason to let your - presumably mortal - be able to take 50 bullets to the chest and be fine.

Fuckin', I'm fine with it if the game at least explains it. The guy has power armor? Cool. The guy is a super human? Great. But if the guy is a regular guy, getting shot should be a rare occurrence and be very damaging.

Games are designed expecting most people to play on normal to hard. And guess what? I do play on extreme hard mode, but the issue still stands.

I can understand where you're coming from saying that games are too realistic, but why can't games value internal logic of the story? It's like in Resident Evil when you got bit but didn't become zombified. I'm not the only one that gets annoyed by that, right? Maybe the zombs in Resident Evil have different rules or something.

>Ludonarrative Dissonance
Yes and no. LD is one of the most misquoted phrases there is.

A good example of this is when in Uncharted 2 you can take millions of bullets in gameplay but you get shot once in a cutscene and suddenly you're practically incapacitated.

It's like when you're watching a movie and some ridiculous plothole occurs or something utterly stupid happens and you simply can't reconcile it. You know what I'm talking about?

You know there's this theory that in Uncharted, Nate doesn't actually get hit with any bullets until he is struck with the final killing bullet. Like every bullet that makes your screen turn red is actually near-missing you.

However, this theory is bunk because when Nate gets shot he fucking SCREAMS and the screen looks like it has blood on it. I wish it were true though.

youtube.com/watch?v=m8PAWO4Y_rY