What is it aobut early 3d graphics that just feels so...different? like oddly familiar but other-reaching...

what is it aobut early 3d graphics that just feels so...different? like oddly familiar but other-reaching, like you're in a dream

Attached: Screenshot (102).png (640x480, 188K)

Other urls found in this thread:

youtube.com/watch?v=cbG34c1qorQ
youtube.com/watch?v=9VdHrA8SKSg
twitter.com/NSFWRedditGif

low polygon aesthetic leaves more to the imagination and forces developers to be creative with their visuals if they want them to not look like hot ass, and usually a mid tier to god tier soundtrack to match is included with these kinds of visuals.

Atm we're pretty much in the unfortunate position of maxed realistic 3d graphics looking nowhere near indiscernible from a real image. In the future when realistic graphics approach that point and hardware can actually accommodate it, I think games will earn some kind of beauty, but since we're not near perfecting it yet, cartoony old graphics are just more interesting and aesthetic to me.

Made before CERN.
They are from a different world and literally impossible to replicate.

is that
LEGO
FUCKING
ISLAND?

Different world line confirmed

Attached: 1543917285491.jpg (384x402, 32K)

fucking terrific looking water

I love it. I own a 1080ti just to push those low ploys at 4K. A game can look as shitty as it wants as long as it's entertaining. Mad combat Marines brings me more joy than Battlefield V ever could

>low polygon aesthetic leaves more to the imagination
This right here is all you need to explain it really. I believe lower fidelity presentation in any medium can have this kind of effect.

Primitive lighting and bright, low-res textures. Your brain is constantly registering that kind of uncanniness.

For low fidelity stuff your brain fills in the voids. For high fidelity stuff you start to experience uneasiness and disgust as you approach an uncanny valley where it's almost realistic but still fake.

Surrealism was really popular before 3d graphics were good enough for photorealism.

youtube.com/watch?v=cbG34c1qorQ

Attached: WineCapTest.webm (640x480, 2.72M)

Nostalgia.

I still remember thinking that game was the absolute tops in terms of flight immersion.

Easily the most immersive feeling flight sim of the 90s.

MY SHIT NIGGGAAAAAAAA

Attached: tumblr_lob0b6evn41qjdl6eo1_500.gif (410x400, 400K)

>not posting this nightmare fuel
youtube.com/watch?v=9VdHrA8SKSg

>tfw computer was so terrible every game lagged and i though i just needed a better one for lego island
>tfw came back to beat the game again on a better computer and it was by design
i couldn't go for round 2 Yea Forumsros

An A E S T H E T I C of an earlier age

Attached: 1538150599603.png (1691x985, 810K)

Oh man this brings back a specific nightmare I had when I was about 6 or 7.

I seriously hope the remake rumors are false.
I wouldn't want this game's SOUL to be tainted even further after what happened with DX.

Attached: sonic_2017_05_11_08_22_55_470.png (1280x960, 1.27M)