I have never played the first half life game. Is black mesa a complete hl1 experience or should I play the original?

I have never played the first half life game. Is black mesa a complete hl1 experience or should I play the original?

Attached: d1b9flz-b4511f6e-fa73-42ca-87aa-5c507eeca6c1.jpg (1624x1096, 1M)

Other urls found in this thread:

developer.valvesoftware.com/wiki/Half-Life:_Source_Bugs
twitter.com/NSFWRedditVideo

Black Mesa isn't finished yet, but should be finished soon.
You should still play the original though, avoid Half-Life: Source at all costs.

play both dude. HL1 is still good on its own and Black Mesa was decent. I played it back when Xen wasn't implemented yet

>Is black mesa a complete hl1 experience
fuck no, it fucks up the level design and atmosphere, the most important things about HL
>should I play the original
yes

You shouldn't play Black Mesa as your first exposure to the game, but don't feel bad about playing the Source version of HL1. In fact, I'd recommend it over the original-original.

They are different when it comes to the “feel” of the game, the level design and progression, the voice work/audio quality and sound effects.

play the original. Black mesa apes it (obviously) for a nostalgia kick but it isn't as good.

Black Mesa has great atmosphere

half-life 2 will look like crap after playing black mesa

>Half-Life: Source
Any specific cons/pros?

Does Source only have the new models or can you still use the old mp5, glock, etc models?
I played original HL1 a few years ago and I'm itching to play it again. Figured I might try Source.

Black Mesa is more of a remix than a remake. It changes up the levels and also soundtrack. It’s still good and makes you reminiscent of the original, but I’d still consider it a different game. Play the original as well if you want to know what half life is about.

Play OG. It plays as well as any contemporary FPS game, and it's playable on current OSs so I don't see a reason not to. Black Mesa is better experienced with context.

source has the old models

Cool, thanks babe.

Source is bugged to shit and never fixed since it was never meant to be anything other than a demonstration of how easy it was to port to source.
developer.valvesoftware.com/wiki/Half-Life:_Source_Bugs
There's no reason to play it over the original unless prettier water effects and ragdolls are vital to your video gaming experience.

You also miss out on all the great Half-Life 1 mods, since they obviously can't be run on source.

I played it entirely for the source flashlight because I always hated that old way of doing a flashlight where you just light up a few polygons your cross-hair is aimed at.

>still have to manually enable auto-save
sucks man. Source isn't bad, but it's the wrong HL to buy and play for sure.

why Yea Forums hates old cs but likes hl?

>soon

Cause they different games

thoughts on black mesa xen?

Black Mesa feels more like a low budget reimagining, despite being made not so long ago in may ways feels just a as dated.
I prefer the old hl1 to be honest, played it around 5 times and only bothered to play Black Mesa once to the end.
What i feel hold back Black Mesa the most is the ancient engine that just cant keep up, the modders have no money or knowledge to rewrite the renderer or fix the old source problems like for instance titan fall devs did. Watching the recent xen videos its clear that the devs hit a brick wall on what their skills allow them to do, and it feels like its stuck back in 2010 visually despite desperate attempts at slapping in few post effects on top, def dosnt feel like a modern remake.

Play both if you ask me.

No auto aim makes the part where you are going down the elevator with headcraps jumping down at you much less fun.

Reminder more xen chapters on August.

...But I always just dodged them and watched them fly off the edge, that was much funnier than trying to kill them on their way down.

Xen never needed changing and it was always the best part of the game, don't bother trying to change my mind because you can't. The platforming is cool, the environment is cool, and none of it is as hard as a few retards like to make out.
Also OF>HL>BS. Opposing Force Hard Mode is some of the best shit I've played in an FPS.

play the original, the goldsrc version, not source.

I might try that next time.

Play original. Black Mesa's shooting mechanics and movement feels weird.

Play black mesa xen now.

>but should be finished soon.
user, I..

Best part though? I’ve always liked xen too but that’s a bit much