If you were in charge, what changes would you make, coming off of Skyrim, to make the game better...

If you were in charge, what changes would you make, coming off of Skyrim, to make the game better, and carry the franchise forward?

Can it realistically be salvaged from twenty years of downward spiral?

Attached: esvi.jpg (1280x720, 674K)

Put it on any other engine currently available.
Get a fucking QA team and use them.
Shut Todd the fuck up.
Put any work into it at all instead of skyrim's/Fallout's absolutely none.

Better combat, smarter ai, better writing, and more choices to make

I would put more effort into the melee combat. Doesn't need to be mordhau tier, but things like timed blocks, staggering, and more varied weapon speed and range would be good.

I'd also go back to text only for non main quests so they can make more sidequests at a fraction of the cost.

That good enough for ya Todd?

Don't design quests around quest markers.
Make every single NPC killable, unless there is a lore reason for them not to be.
Emphasis on the weirder side of the Elder Scrolls universe.
High player agency.
Improve melee combat and make it so that there's good audio and visual feedback.
Jeremy Soule OST

No quest markers. The game map will be a map on parchment paper that’s not stagnant. You can’t see yourself on the map. You can hire npcs to help guide you around and protect you. No fast travel. You can learn spells that can help you find objectives and teleport

Building off Skyrim as a base, I'd work on giving melee combat have more weight with each strike, via hitstun, small animations to make it feel like enemies and players are reacting to being struck. Let those wearing light armor have a side step button, to weave back and forth and dodge attacks, while heavy armor and shielded folks focus more on taking and slugging through hits.

Keep the silent protag. I'd love to get a new main writer, but I expect Emil to stick around. NPC's should become more and more reactive. Panicing and searching frantically when they are being hunted in stealth, screaming when lit on fire, shivering at frost spells, ect. Little things to make combat feel more alive, without having to change the mechanics that are simple for normies to enjoy. Ultimately, the new animation system they are putting in place to replace havok should make all of this possible.

Attached: 1503679160860.gif (379x440, 140K)

Morrowind mechanics with some improvements and fixing the stats that weren't implemented properly.

>shut Todd the fuck up

Attached: AB9E7C11-8C18-4F42-BA7E-8D27D1FCA643.png (680x673, 435K)

Just don’t casualfy/normafy the experience it’s that fucking simple.

>morrowind style fast travel
>bring back choosing primary and secondary skills
>only primary skills can be leveled to 100 / maybe have this as a "hardcore mode" like in new vegas
>remove magic compass
>bring back oblivion style bonuses for getting to 100 in a skill
>bring back levitate
>limited level scaling
Those are a few things off the top of my head that I think would help. And do I think it can be salvaged? Probably not. I'm still going to play it because I'm a fucking sucker.

Skill wise, going again off Skyrim, I'd add spears and halberds into one-handed and two-handed respectively. The whole hand system itself I felt was great, so expand on it. I'd take lockpicking and merge it with Stealth. I'd add in Athletics as a skill, which would involve running, climbing, jumping, swimming actives. New perks across the board, but overall keep leveling the same as how it was in Skyrim.

Transform the series into Not-D&D

>No quest markers
AKA "Waste my Fucking Time: The Game"

New Engine
Combat that feels like it was developed in the current era
Bring back ranks in factions
More skill and weapon variety
Spell creation
Less quests that feel isolated / self-contained
Flails

Attached: c739f702a226dcd7d1ea997ae32f5579.jpg (960x724, 71K)

already is?

More literally, I mean. Closer to the dice and having actual abilities that change what you are, like if you wanted to be a Bard or a Druid.

Attached: Zoomer.png (820x324, 244K)

I don't get why they don't do this.
>Journal mode - Your Journal is the only thing you get. No markers.
>Explorer mode - You get a general area for the quest but that's it.
>Classic mode - Quest Markers
Literally everyone wins.

Would a roleplaying game be more immersive for not having quest markers? Sure.
Does spending an extra 5 minutes per quest rereading my journal and wandering through town trying to find that roaming NPC make the experience more fun? Absolutely not. I, as a person who values their time, would much rather play an hour of casualized adventureman than an hour of authentic medieval courier.

Great. Now the game is either a lot more simplistic in design since they had to design the game in it's entirety in three different ways or it's something almost pointless like "this amount of numbers comes out of you compared to enemies is scaled based on difficulty"

Just go watch a movie or something. If, while playing a game, your thought process is "how can I get this over with", you're wasting your time.

But it's not. Design it as the journal mode and then you just add quest markers.

lol

Thank you for proving my point. Never had that thought with Skyrim. Have had that thought with Morrowind.

Fire Todd, bring back Julian Lefay

>You can hire npcs to help guide you around
Hey that's a pretty good idea and it'd be pretty simple to implement. You'd have wanderers/rangers/whatever in each tavern, you'd pay them to lead you to unmarked places like caves and ruins, they'd have generic dialogue, stuff like "It's been a while since I've been out here, pretty sure it's this way". And finding specific buildings in larger cities could use a similar system.
Waypoints/markers really are lazy development.

I'd probably shift the focus on exploration a whole lot more.
I'd take a lot of things from Morrowind like the weapon types, layers of armour and freedoms that came with exploring. I feel like in Morrowind exploring had a certain "wow" factor that modern games just lack. Take Witcher 3 for example, exploring feels like ticking boxes off a list since you already know exactly where to look because of the points on the map.

>I feel at home with the dumber version

Attached: pleb.gif (426x340, 1.39M)

Not running on the motherfucking creation engine.

I literally already admitted to that, I don't understand your point
It seems like we obviously have differing viewpoints but you've decided yours is objectively superior for no clear reason
Probably because nostalgiafags know their games are fucking trash and just need something, anything to make themselves feel good for 5 minutes

Cut voice acting
Cut fast travel outside of realtime boat stuff or high level magic
Cut objective markers and add in universe directions and navigation instead
Bring back classes
Keep the streamlined progression without stats but improve it significantly
Improve quests
Cut any 'main' quest line
Improve factions and faction length
Improve dungeon non-linearity and puzzles
Deeper and more rewarding magic system. If you work for it you should get Burden of Time level spells
Steal Mount and Blade's melee system
Concentrate effort on one big city at the centre of the map with only small villages or forts beyond
More caves and interconnected dungeons/a general underworld
No adjustable difficulty
QA test and make it less buggy
Bring back banks and make the world and interactions deeper in general
No healing on the pause menu
Survival mechanics like hunger
Dark night time better remember your lamp and oil
New map making mechanic to enhance the emphasis on exploration and navigation
Armour looted off killed enemies is usually reduced to borderline scrap metal that can only be sold for pennies fixing the economy significantly and giving an incentive for taking a class with blacksmithing so you can use scrap
Remove level scaling
Take lessons from Gothic 2, Breath of the Wild and Morrowind

>Why was it DOS? Why no hardware acceleration? And many other similar questions. Answer is mostly the same. We started out with soon-to-be-older technology and simply didn't have the resources to start upgrading things on a game that was already pushing (and breaking) the deadline. Remember, other than my engine coder, I was the only one working full-time on the programming. There was really no way for me to get everything done on time. The XEngine is almost completely (if not actually completely) in assembly. There was really no alternative back then before hardware acceleration. Daggerfall was the first game that I wrote that was largely in C/C++. Before then I wrote every single line of my games in assembly language. I wish we still did, I love assembly. Of course, it's becoming harder to write by hand these days, but with proper care, you can still get an enormous performance boost. Also, FPU, i.e. floating point, was not something that we could use. It was just too time-consuming. Everything was done with integers or fixed-point (integers). There was also a lot of self-modifying code, basically assembly functions that would write other assembly functions to do the actual rendering. It was spectacularly complicated to squeeze every last cycle out of the CPU. We had dual-pipelines, branch-prediction, and prefetch issues to worry about back then, we still didn't have hyperthreading, out-of-order execution, translation lookaside buffers, or any of that yet. The XEngine was made the way engines were made back then. No system code usages, straight to the metal, assembly code.

>Take lessons from Gothic 2, Breath of the Wild and Morrowind
So many retards in this thread

>I don't get why they don't do this.
A journal mode/Morrowind-like system requires the journal to provide proper directions to the next quest objectives. So you have your writers working overtime and on top of that it requires them to work very closely with the environmental artists, which is difficult with a large team. Sure you could have the environments completed and then work on the writing, allowing directions to make sense but it strings out development time. Another thing that just occurred to me is if there are any changes to the quests or environments in the playtesting stage, it's possible that the journal directions don't make sense anymore, which adds in more work.
So what's the solution? Have a dynamic direction-giving system that NPCs use to give your directions to a place or building. It'd take into account road systems, landmarks. You'd get dynamic dialogue as well as journal entries.

?

Great job explaining your position, faggy o'nig.

Okay, I'll really spell it out for you, then
Those games are all bad

>if I disagree with the masses, that proves I'm smarter!

Mindless redditor contrarianism is so tiring.

Attached: this_fag.jpg (480x480, 34K)

It'll take place in the 69th era and involve finally fighting the Nords and Imperials who are all raysis and you can only play as a Redguard or an Altmer who joined an alliance and are the good guys. You can't choose your character's gender just like real life and also there's guns now so it's like Skyrim with guns without guns with guns again. All music is rap made by Todd Howard's son and you can unlock each perk tree (besides guns) for only 2.99 USD. Rated M for the fuck word.

How is that contrarian? No one likes Gothic 2.

>You can't choose your character's gender just like real life
Pretty problematic, shitlord

>I, as a person who values their time
Well you'll fit in nicely here: nobody on Yea Forums plays video games.

That's for the Argonian dlc only.

-Remove GPS crap. In other words, players would have to find locations by themselves by following given direction.

-Bring back proper class system.

-Better creation system, inspired by dragon's dogma. Players would be able to create lolis and shotas too.

-No redguards and (((high elves)))

-NPCs would treat the main character like the hero(or asshole) he is.

ESVI will have three skills, combat, magic, and stealth. Bet your life on it.

Git gud.

Attached: 2j.webm (1050x590, 1.26M)