Do you prefer when sequels are nearly identical to the original with additional content and features...

Do you prefer when sequels are nearly identical to the original with additional content and features, or much more distinct from their prequels with new controls and mechanics altogether?

Attached: nioh-2.jpg (1280x720, 93K)

small refinements won't alienate anyone
and especially the loyal fans of the previous iteration

>souls clones in 2019
this piece of shit shouldn't exist in the first place

This is true, but is it the general consensus? Most people seemed underwhelmed at the Nioh 2 demo, calling it the most ambitious DLC.

Okay but answer the question

When an original is really successful and has a great base game engine, then the sequel should just use the exact same engine and basic framework, but with new designed content (new levels, new enemies, new specialty weapons, etc.).
Then, for the 3rd game, you start trying some new ideas and trying to improve the systems.
Sometimes though the original is really rough and has some obvious flaws that need tweaking. When that happens, you do like above except shift everything forward one game and consider the first one a rough draft or initial attempt.

Close to the original with additional content.

Attached: old rep.png (477x305, 323K)

Nioh 2 demo had a mixed reception
some people didn't like it because it kept the diablo loot, but then some people did
then some people didn't like it because it was near-identical to 1 ("Nioh 1 DLC"), but some people thought the original only needed to be refined

those bastards didn't send me a code but from what I saw, they're trying to up the variety of Youkai, they've changed blocking mechanics and added some skills
then with all the complaints about the powerful spells, I think they made a stat that magic potency is tied to
they also put in more youkai counters with the summoned youkai
I didn't get to play it though and they could change everything being an alpha and having no set release date

I'm fed up with this meme

nioh2 already had way more new mechanics just in the alpha than what das2 added on top of das1, yet noone bitched about das2 "not being a real sequel just more of the same"

Attached: nioh2 youkaitr.webm (1280x720, 2.95M)

oh fuck, launchers and juggles?

Is the first one worth picking up?

A lot of people who never played or liked 1 got access to the beta so I would take the overall reception with a grain of salt.

If you're a Soulsborne fan, no.
If you just like action RPGs or games with Diablo loot, yes.

Cool I just assumed it was souls on rails

it's much more than that, the combat is excellent. And if you like feudal japan and the non-animefied version of it to boot, you're in for a treat.

>it kept the diablo loot
Fucking really? Dropped. Wasted potential.

It is exactly that. Just with an absolute cancer inventory system, no lore to draw you in, and way worse bosses and enemy variety.

yes if you can get it on sale
the loot system can get annoying but the gameplay is fantastic and it gets pretty intense especially when you get to the post game content

Depends on how good the original was. Don't fix what isn't broken

>Most people seemed underwhelmed at the Nioh 2 demo
I don't know what fucking people were you talking with, but I have a feeling that they aren't people who actually got to play through the alpha. I saw a lot of these people also bitch about the diablo style loot system, which makes me think that they couldn't properly play the first game either.

honestly I don't know why the fuck people expected such a drastic changes for a same-gen sequel. It's a shame because nioh 2 really delivers everything that a sequel should have and more, but because of the absurd expectations now it doesn't seem that impressive.

different youkai transformations with their own movesets and skills(in place of living weapons)
tons of youkai abilities
shadow realm mechanic
new weapon types,
It's an all new world,
all new bosses,
plenty of new enemy types,
new moves for existing weapons,
all new armor,
new story/music/characters, etc.

I thought the alpha was fucking perfect and if the whole game is going to be like this then that's some serious 10/10 material. Also the levels in the demo were much more packed with variety visually, which I think was one thing Nioh1 could have been better at. Also, considering all the new enemy types they are adding to the game there will be no shortage of enemy types, which was another thing some people complained about in the first game.

Attached: nioh2 geki.webm (1280x720, 2.97M)

>muh lore
Pick a book instead of ruining videogames

The original had horrid AI so if they don't improve it there's not much reason to play the sequel.

but I'm not a Nioh dev

Of course you aren't; you're a lore faggot after all.

So you were just confused. It's okay, just work on your reading a little.

I don't mind not getting into the alpha; knowing that the Diablo loot is still in put my fears to rest.
I was worried about them listening to the Soulsborne tourists and thankfully they didn't.

Oh no, my reading skills are fine. Lore fans are the ones ruining videogames; you are a lore fan and therefore you can't be a Nioh developer because they're saving videogames.

I'm a massive Souls fanboy and I fell in love with Nioh. Had it since launch, still play it religiously to this day. Nioh is a great game.

But I'm not a lore fan by any means. It's just remarkably better than having an absolute dogshit attempt at writing a linear story, a protagonist and an antagonist like what the talentless Nioh devs managed to achieve. To make it easier to understand, your parents most likely weren't fans of having a dummy who can't even read well for a kid, but they probably think having that was better than having a child with some crippling degenerative disease who's pracitcally a vegetable. Sort of a middle ground, you know.

>nioh
>bad AI
elaborate.
You're retarded. There's nothing wrong with wanting a story in a game.

what was your problem with it?

pretty sure 90% of the nioh players/fans are souls fanboys themselves, it's still a very souls inspired game despite all the differences

that being said, souls brings many bad habits to nioh, (like not blocking after being hit, thinking you are in "stunlock", not making use of your whole moveset and other weapons or not using magic/ninjutsu (without dedicated build focusing on them)) so lot of previous souls players don't get the right idea how the game should be played

Depends. I don't think a game being a sequel to something really played into my assessment of it. It can be the same, but expands on the ideas, adding more mechanics and variability, like Anno 2070. It can also be the same but perfect the existing formula, like Thief 2. It can be an entirely different game, like any Legacy of Kain part. Really only thing I hate is when a sequel chucks core elements away for the sake of being more "streamlined", like Xcom 2 or Bloodborne.

>diablo loot
it's NOT fucking diablo loot
yes, items have random modifiers
but, you can eventually target which modifiers you get and almost COMPLETELY ELIMINATE RNG except for a small margin of doable rerolling

the random loot actually makes the game up until the end much more interesting, because you can't just get the best stuff right away
the loot in NIOH is just fine

the only real issues are that the world isn't truly connected and the low content story

Don't forget the character creation everyone was so incessant about.
Pretty much, plus anyone who really doesn't care can very easily sort for the strongest rarest weapons they pick up which carries them just fine. But anyone that complains about about the loot turns out to be literally blind anyway.
I don't particularly agree with the issues you bring up though as the level system lets them design self contained missions which offers their own advantages, and even if you don't count the sidemissions there was quite a fully told story with each main character getting some fleshing out and their own arcs even if straightforward.

yeah it's an action focused game, but havin some more exploration, optional quests (not missions) and maybe some waifuing would perfect the experience